PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 4/15/16 Pitching, Pitching and MORE Pitching Postgamer

thomas35forever
04-15-2016, 09:35 PM
We're giving the Lovables a run for the city's attention.:bandance::bandance::bandance:

ChicagoG19
04-15-2016, 09:36 PM
We're giving the Lovables a run for the city's attention.:bandance::bandance::bandance:
We're not, but I am going to keep enjoying W's. This team has that TWTW.

Zakath
04-15-2016, 09:38 PM
105-pitch, 2-hit gem from Sale. Smart baserunning decision by the wily veteran Rollins gets the only run Chris needed.

8-2 feels great, doesn't it? Team ERA is now down to 2.02. 8 quality starts in 10 games.

guillensdisciple
Please not that ridiculous phrase. It's meant for teams that are perpetual losers.

Anyway, we can't hit in general, but we are getting a penchant for clutch hitting.

8-2.

#TOTR

Can we get excited yet or nah?

LITTLE NELL
Great ballgame, Sale with a pitching clinic. Hats off to the veteran Rollins by moving up a base to second on a fly ball to CF and then Melky drives him home with the game winning hit.

thomas35forever
04-15-2016, 09:39 PM
Please not that ridiculous phrase. It's meant for teams that are perpetual losers.
I disagree. If we can just add that word at the end, we can show there's more than one good ball team in town.

Shoeless Joe
04-15-2016, 09:39 PM
It's been said before but boy how lucky are we to have Chris Sale on our team. Our pitching has been lights out! Let's hope for the best with Danks tomorrow.

ChiSoxGal85
04-15-2016, 09:41 PM
I am SO enjoying this team. Chris Sale rocks. :superman:

Hope the lady hit with the foul ball is ok.

rookie
Yea for not wasting a good pitching performance! We are on a roll!

BCurley3
Traveling but a fun one to follow on Gamecast and Twitter. I saw a lot of reaction that the second-to-last out went deep. How close was it? Glad Sale could finish this one out in front of family and friends!

XplodingScorbord
Nice win. We'd have lost this game most times in the past few years.

Shoeless_Jeff
I'm enjoying the contributions brought by Jimmy Rollins so far.

thomas35forever
Yea for not wasting a good pitching performance! We are on a roll!
If only Quintana can get a few more of those, we'd really have something.

DoItForDanPasqua
04-15-2016, 09:43 PM
105-pitch, 2-hit gem from Sale. Smart baserunning decision by the wily veteran Rollins gets the only run Chris needed.

8-2 feels great, doesn't it? Team ERA is now down to 2.02. 8 quality starts in 10 games.

That one run probably wouldn't have meant much if they kept Danks in his spot.

LITTLE NELL
04-15-2016, 09:43 PM
Traveling but a fun one to follow on Gamecast and Twitter. I saw a lot of reaction that the second-to-last out went deep. How close was it? Glad Sale could finish this one out in front of family and friends!

Melky caught it with his back to the wall, would not have been a homer.

Zakath
04-15-2016, 09:44 PM

Melky didn't hit the wall. Wasn't going out, but would have been extra bases.

spongyfungy
04-15-2016, 09:45 PM

Melky was at the warning track. back to the wall.
I thought it was going out.

LITTLE NELL
If only Quintana can get a few more of those, we'd really have something.

I'll be cheering on Q and the rest of the guys at the Trop on Sunday, hopefully for the sweep.

Boondock Saint
When Chris Sale is on, you're not beating him, period.

gobears1987
04-15-2016, 09:46 PM
Sale is off to a great start this season

DoItForDanPasqua
04-15-2016, 09:47 PM
On May 3 of last year the White Sox had 8 wins.

Shoeless Joe
04-15-2016, 09:48 PM
On May 3 of last year the White Sox had 8 wins.

Tale of two seasons.

StrTrkker
04-15-2016, 09:48 PM
Woo Hoo. Another road win and a 3-0 start for Chris Sale. This is Sox Pride!!!:bandance:

shes
04-15-2016, 09:49 PM
Man oh man is Sale good. Probably the best pitcher we'll ever see in a Sox uni.

The offensive struggles are concerning, though. We're not going to have a low twos ERA forever. These 1-0 and 2-1 wins will soon turn to 3-1 and 4-2 losses if the bats don't pick up. This is the problem with a super low OBP team. If you're not hitting home runs, you're typically not scoring many runs.

FielderJones
04-15-2016, 09:49 PM
8-2 Sox teams of the past: 1982, 1957, 1920, 1919, 1917.

Good to see Chris Sale promote the 2016 team slogan, and Step Up!

LITTLE NELL
04-15-2016, 09:52 PM

The offensive struggles are concerning, though. We're not going to have a low twos ERA forever. These 1-0 and 2-1 wins will soon turn to 3-1 and 4-2 losses if the bats don't pick up. This is the problem with a super low OBP team. If yoiu're not hitting home runs, you're typically not scoring many runs.

The hitting will come around. The Rays strong suit is their starting pitching so I expected a low scoring weekend from both teams. Danks needs to step it up tomorrow.

DrCrawdad
04-15-2016, 09:56 PM
We're not, but I am going to keep enjoying W's. This team has that TWTW.

Popularity contests are what Cubbie Clowns take pride in. The Sox have been playing smart, well-played baseball. It's been a pleasure to watch. Don't stop now boys!

That play by Rollins, LOVE IT!

Great ballgame, Sale with a pitching clinic. Hats off to the veteran Rollins by moving up a base to second on a fly ball to CF and then Melky drives him home with the game winning hit.

Rollins, Frazier, Jackson and Lawrie - all the new guys are contributing. This has been so enjoyable watching great defense, smart baserunning, great pitching. Seems like the defensive positioning has been spot on too.

Loving it!

slavko
04-15-2016, 09:56 PM
They were getting Sale squared up pretty good from time to time, but we had a man there for every one. Scratched out a run that good teams do and bad teams don't. Was it a scouting report on the noodle armed RF? I'm thinking it was. You don't usually want to tag up on those balls unless they're to left or center so you can see if the throw's on target, so you can retreat to 1B if it is.

Gave the bullpen a needed rest, that's a big plus. I didn't want to see Jake in there, sorry Jake, but you scare me.

soxfanreggie
04-15-2016, 09:57 PM
Sale gem...check
Heads-up base running...check
Clutch 2-out hit...check
Exciting Sox baseball...check

What a win! Sale moves to 3-0 and lowers his ERA.

Hitmen77
04-15-2016, 09:59 PM
Great complete game shutout to give the bullpen a day off. :thumbsup:

I am SO enjoying this team. Chris Sale rocks. :superman:

Hope the lady hit with the foul ball is ok.

Yeah, that didn't look good. Crazy that there's a gap in the netting right there where the foul ball got through.

pilotsjs89
04-15-2016, 10:02 PM

Not as close as the 2 run HR Frazier missed by about an inch left of the foul pole

Noneck
04-15-2016, 10:02 PM
Pitching and defense is what the game is about.

LITTLE NELL
04-15-2016, 10:04 PM

I go back a long way, at this point in the proceedings I say that Sale is one of the best.

Lundind1
04-15-2016, 10:04 PM
This game was a beaut.

It is very nice to tune in with the expectations of a W

When was the last time that you have really felt that way about this team?

LoveYourSuit
04-15-2016, 10:07 PM
Crazy how the little things in baseball happen. Kiermaier getting hurt was HUGE at the end. He's in the game, more than likely takes charge with his gun and Rollins doesn't even think of 2B.

LoveYourSuit
04-15-2016, 10:08 PM
This game was a beaut.

It is very nice to tune in with the expectations of a W

When was the last time that you have really felt that way about this team?

2006. First 3 months I thought we wouldn't lose a game. It was a shock to lose.

asindc
04-15-2016, 10:12 PM
:bandance:

Sale's dominance, solid defense, and veteran savvy won this game. I like this team.

asindc
04-15-2016, 10:15 PM
They were getting Sale squared up pretty good from time to time, but we had a man there for every one. Scratched out a run that good teams do and bad teams don't. Was it a scouting report on the noodle armed RF? I'm thinking it was. You don't usually want to tag up on those balls unless they're to left or center so you can see if the throw's on target, so you can retreat to 1B if it is.

Gave the bullpen a needed rest, that's a big plus. I didn't want to see Jake in there, sorry Jake, but you scare me.

I think it was more that the two fielders almost collided and Roliins probably figured that they would momentarily pause after the catch.

tstrike2000
04-15-2016, 10:16 PM
Sale's a decent pitcher.

HomeFish
04-15-2016, 10:25 PM
I almost sent Chris Sale a nice letter last year (early in the season) sympathizing with his plight - he was, at that point, the best pitcher in White Sox history, but the White Sox seemed destined for last place.

The gist of the letter was going to be, hey, sorry this team is so bad while you're here. They're not usually this bad - they're usually a mediocre team, not a terrible team. Us fans sympathize with you and wish you had been sent to us at a better time.

Its early, they haven't played anyone really good yet, but I feel much less bad for Chris Sale now than I did at this point last season.

Brian26
04-15-2016, 10:26 PM
2006. First 3 months I thought we wouldn't lose a game. It was a shock to lose.

Funny, I think there's been three times in my lifetime when I felt that way about the Sox: June 2000, April 2005 and June 2006.

Moses_Scurry
04-15-2016, 10:36 PM
Funny, I think there's been three times in my lifetime when I felt that way about the Sox: June 2000, April 2005 and June 2006.

There was a stretch in '90 that I remember feeling that way. They just kept winning. I don't remember '83 very well, but I have to think it was the same way.

LoveYourSuit
04-15-2016, 10:49 PM

I still will argue with anyone that the 2006 team was better than 2005. Despite the end result.

Railsplitter
04-15-2016, 10:50 PM
Chorus line!
:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

voodoochile
04-15-2016, 11:09 PM
I think it was more that the two fielders almost collided and Roliins probably figured that they would momentarily pause after the catch.

Yeah forced the RF to catch the ball flat-footed. If the CF had caught it he'd have been going toward the line and it would have been a tough throw back to 2nd. Good heads up smart baseball to take that base.

Lip Man 1
04-15-2016, 11:10 PM
Absolutely love the winning, absolutely love the pitching. Just hope the hitting come around, you've got to give the pitching staff some room for error.

Lip

Crooked Number
04-15-2016, 11:12 PM
Sale coast to coast, another 9th inning run. Let's get Danks in on the party tomorrow ;)

#TOTR
#DSNB
#CinchHunkerBow

Brian26
04-15-2016, 11:46 PM
I still will argue with anyone that the 2006 team was better than 2005. Despite the end result.

The bullpen wasnt as good, and the starters were tired. Cotts and Politte if I recall correctly were just not the same.

tstrike2000
04-16-2016, 12:00 AM
The bullpen wasnt as good, and the starters were tired. Cotts and Politte if I recall correctly were just not the same.

True. Politte was pretty much done in a Sox uniform by the second half and Contreras came back down to Earth in the second half.

voodoochile
04-16-2016, 12:07 AM
True. Politte was pretty much done in a Sox uniform by the second half and Contreras came back down to Earth in the second half.

So did Buehrle, big time. He posted one of the worst stretches of his MLB career from August through September that year.

hoosiersoxfan
04-16-2016, 12:16 AM
Rollins made up big time for the error with that tag up in the 9th. Sox defense has been so solid that was the first time I was annoyed with a defensive play since Avila at the home opener.

BainesHOF
04-16-2016, 12:16 AM
That was Cy Sale.

BigKlu59
04-16-2016, 12:20 AM
Life is good in a Penthouse Apartment. A's come back against the Royals and a 1 game lead would look mighty good.

MUsoxfan
04-16-2016, 12:38 AM
Will definitely be going to game next Saturday. Winning is fung

TDog
04-16-2016, 01:04 AM

You're not old enough to remember July 1977. Won their first nine, lost the 10th in extra innings on the road and ended up 22-6 for the month and in first place. But August knocked the team on its collective butts the team no longer outhit its bad pitching, bad defense and medieval base running.

The difference this year, what feels similar to 2005 and 2006 while it lasted, was that that team seems to be be playing baseball the right way and winning.

I was at a book sale and missed tonight's game, but it sounds like Sale was in control and anything hard hit found an able defense.

In spring training I didn't think most Sox fans appreciated just what a special pitcher Chris Sale is and could be. He has sort of spoiled Sox fans in that they sort of expect Rodon to be just as good and eventually Fulmer to be just as good as Rodon. If that approaches being the case, the Sox will have a very special starting rotation if they keep it together.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
04-16-2016, 01:59 AM

I felt like that in...was it June or July of 2010? Where the Sox went 25-5 or something ridiculous like that to storm to first place after being something like 7 games out?

kufram
04-16-2016, 08:02 AM
I don't care if we don't have big hitting when our pitching is putting up zeroes. I won't care if we don't have great pitching if our hitting scores more than the opposition. I'm think we will score more runs pretty soon. I just want it to be on the days when we need it, like tonight possibly.

I had this odd feeling throughout the game last night... in the wee hours of the morning for me. I felt like the team would do what was necessary to win. I think it's called confidence, but it's been missing for so long that I barely remember it.

Isn't it funny how good RV, RH, and KW have looked since opening day?

SouthSideSox
04-16-2016, 08:52 AM
Danks starts that game and the Sox lose easily. Well done RV.

#1swisher
04-16-2016, 09:34 AM
Fan struck by foul ball
http://m.rays.mlb.com/news/article/172590330/fan-struck-with-foul-ball-at-tropicana-field

Vernam
04-16-2016, 09:36 AM
This game was so great, I let the Hawks vs. Blues cache and watched Sox vs. Rays straight to the finish. No flipping! #TOTR

kittle42
04-16-2016, 09:42 AM

Ha! How true.

Moses_Scurry
04-16-2016, 09:48 AM

When do we start hearing talk of an RV extension in the works?

slavko
04-16-2016, 10:41 AM
When do we start hearing talk of an RV extension in the works?

I post this every few years, so I think it's time: Great bullpens make great managers. Trouble is, we only a very good bullpen, I think.

voodoochile
04-16-2016, 10:58 AM
I post this every few years, so I think it's time: Great bullpens make great managers. Trouble is, we only a very good bullpen, I think.

Yeah but we've got potentially the best 1-4 starting staff in the majors. Definitely top 2 or 3, IMO. That is a game changer.

Lip Man 1
04-16-2016, 11:40 AM
Quote of the Day:

“You do those things to win.’’--Jimmy Rollins on advancing to second on the fly ball in the 9th inning.

Jose also had an interesting quote. He said a big reason the Sox are playing well is because a greater emphasis was put on actually winning games in spring training this past spring.

Lip

thomas35forever
04-16-2016, 12:47 PM
Quote of the Day:

“You do those things to win.’’--Jimmy Rollins on advancing to second on the fly ball in the 9th inning.

Jose also had an interesting quote. He said a big reason the Sox are playing well is because a gtreater emphasis was put on actually winning games in spring training this past spring.

Lip
What were they emphasizing last year then? How to act around Drake?:scratch:

JermaineDye05
04-16-2016, 01:05 PM
Bob Nightengale
Bob Nightengale – Verified account ‏@BNightengale

Chris Sale is Randy Johnson 2.0, as good as any pitcher in #MLB with 2-hit shutout for #Whitesox over #Rays
6:39 PM - 15 Apr 2016
133 RETWEETS222 LIKES

High praise

JB98
04-16-2016, 01:34 PM
That smart situational baserunning play by Rollins last night is latest example of the difference between this year and last. I don't know if anyone on last year's team would have been smart enough to recognize that the backup CF was in the game. The extra 90 feet taken by Rollins decided the game.

kufram
04-16-2016, 01:41 PM
TWTW is not all Hawk bunk, you know. I think guys like Frazier, Rollins and Jackson ...maybe Lawrie too.... have brought an attitude that wins baseball game. The clubhouse bustup might have been a result of that healthier attitude, call it professionalism, not willing to accept the losing attitude the team had before.

The defensive positioning seems to be better also. People seem to be in spots where the ball is hit hard and those hits that would have been doubles before are outs right now. Jackson must be a big part of that.

voodoochile
04-16-2016, 01:51 PM
TWTW is not all Hawk bunk, you know. I think guys like Frazier, Rollins and Jackson ...maybe Lawrie too.... have brought an attitude that wins baseball game. The clubhouse bustup might have been a result of that healthier attitude, call it professionalism, not willing to accept the losing attitude the team had before.

The defensive positioning seems to be better also. People seem to be in spots where the ball is hit hard and those hits that would have been doubles before are outs right now. Jackson must be a big part of that.

A lot of that might be due to the new bench coach. He's generally the one who positions the defenders.

Would like to know how much of Rollins taking second last night is on Boston. He's caught some grief this year, but the coaches are the ones who generally call tag up plays.

kittle42
04-16-2016, 01:59 PM
Yeah but we've got potentially the best 1-4 starting staff in the majors. Definitely top 2 or 3, IMO. That is a game changer.

Nats and Mets better off the top of my head. Cubs probably. That could be it.

LITTLE NELL
04-16-2016, 02:44 PM
Quote of the Day:

Jose also had an interesting quote. He said a big reason the Sox are playing well is because a greater emphasis was put on actually winning games in spring training this past spring.

Lip

Sox have been terrible in ST lately but this year was a nice change.
Does it work every time for every team, no, look at the Cubs this year. They were horrible in ST and came out like gangbusters when the bell rang, I remember in my youth, the Cubs seemed like they won the Cactus League every year only to finish the regular season 20 or 30 games under .500. The Sox would be little above or below .500 in ST but would always win their 90 games a year, give or take a few.
I don't know what the answer is but I feel a lot better when the Sox have a good ST record, I know last year they were as flat as dime during the last week of ST and stayed that way when the season started.

captain54
04-16-2016, 03:49 PM

they didn't look so good opening Day at the Cell.. with the 7-0 blowout…

I still think it's going to be an up and down season.. the offense has shown it's in better shape that last year.. the pitching, with the exception of #5, has been insanely good… I think its possible, but improbable to maintain that until October…

the Sox are still leaving guys on base.. it is nice to see guys driven in from third with less than two outs, though….the catcher position hasn't improved so far, all that much, offensively, from the past few seasons…

I think the real test is when the Sox start playing the more elite competition in the Central..like KC and Detroit….those match ups will really be the tale of the tape as to how our chances look down the stretch, IMHO

slavko
04-16-2016, 03:57 PM
That smart situational baserunning play by Rollins last night is latest example of the difference between this year and last. I don't know if anyone on last year's team would have been smart enough to recognize that the backup CF was in the game. The extra 90 feet taken by Rollins decided the game.

The manager, the bench coach, the first base coach are paid to do this stuff. If Rollins did it on his own, the staff is MIA. Don't jump to the conclusion that he did it on his own. The attributes of the replacements should have been discussed in the dugout when they entered the game.

JB98
04-16-2016, 04:18 PM
The manager, the bench coach, the first base coach are paid to do this stuff. If Rollins did it on his own, the staff is MIA. Don't jump to the conclusion that he did it on his own. The attributes of the replacements should have been discussed in the dugout when they entered the game.

I'm sure the staff is doing the same thing they've always done. The Sox have better, smarter players this year.

ChiTownTrojan
04-16-2016, 04:35 PM

Related: Ian Desmond is currently sitting with a .289 OPS. Without a single extra base hit.

asindc
04-16-2016, 04:41 PM
Related: Ian Desmond is currently sitting with a .289 OPS. Without a single extra base hit.

And he would most likely be awful at SS.