PDA

View Full Version : Comiskey Renovations

Viva Magglio
08-27-2002, 08:12 PM
Per Hawk, there will be renovations this offseason. They will remodel the upper deck concourse, the center field concourse, and...INSTALL A NEW SCOREBOARD!!!!

ChiWhiteSox1337
08-27-2002, 08:15 PM
THANKS, I thought I heard him say scoreboard but I wasn't sure, stupid phone rang right when they said that stuff :|

mrwag
08-27-2002, 09:16 PM
*** are they doing in center field again? I want the home run porch, dangit!

Jerry_Manuel
08-27-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by mrwag
*** are they doing in center field again? I want the home run porch, dangit!

When someone gives the Chairman a boatload of cash, he'll work on that porch for ya.

We have all seen these (http://www.hksinc.com/portfolio/projects/comiskey1.htm) before.

According to that plan which may or may not be used they plan on making a new Kidzone outside of center field.

chisoxt
08-27-2002, 09:36 PM
Any pictures or info related to the extent of the improvements?

Jerry_Manuel
08-27-2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by chisoxt
Any pictures or info related to the extent of the improvements?

I'm sure the 'official' site will have something up soon.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-27-2002, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
I'm sure the 'official' site will have something up soon.

Apparently Press Relations Director Scott Reifert went scurrying around the pressbox after Hawk and D.J. fielded an email question on the air about renovations and replied they had no idea what was going on.

Do you think somebody is a little nervous about their job? Think somebody ought to be?

:gallas
"I'm taking everybody down with me!"

RedPinStripes
08-28-2002, 01:49 AM
How about green seats and a hr porch?

:reinsy
HA!

FanOf14
08-28-2002, 07:19 AM
Why the heck are they wasting money on a new scoreboard? The last time I saw the present scoreboard it seem to be fine, except that it needed a lightbulb or two replaced... :?:

PaleHoseGeorge
08-28-2002, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by FanOf14
Why the heck are they wasting money on a new scoreboard? The last time I saw the present scoreboard it seem to be fine, except that it needed a lightbulb or two replaced... :?:

I agree. I'm completely shocked the Sox would be "fixing" this problem. I wonder if Hawk didn't misspeak when he said that last night?

OTOH, this website has been a big critic of the new scoreboard. It simply fails to capture the essence of what the old scoreboard was all about. Check it out on the Memories of Old Comiskey Park scoreboard page. This WSI page is over 3 years old already. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/OldComiskey/Scoreboard.html). Now check out the "Progress?" page. This is the most thorough treatment on New Comiskey available anywhere on the web. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/OldComiskey/Progress.htm)

Anybody that remembers Old Comiskey's Monster scoreboard knows exactly what I mean. The scoreboard was THE attraction that separated Comiskey from every other ballpark. The thing was HUGE and simply LOOMED beyond the playing field like a pinball machine's header board. By 1960's ballpark standards, it was COMPLETELY OUTRAGEOUS!

The new one doesn't do jack. Compared to other ballparks, it has nothing unique except the rocket launchers, and even those are fake.

If I was in charge, I'd make that mother four-times as big. The top of the rocket launchers would be taller than the roof of the upper deck. Each of them would recoil like a giant howitzer after each bomb, too.

I tell ya, the people who run the White Sox are completely clueless as to what this franchise is all about.

Morons. Complete morons.

RedPinStripes
08-28-2002, 07:39 AM
The onlt thing i can think of is they're going to try and make it look like the old one with the sqare look and all. The old scoreboard was seperate from the old park. This one just seems to blend in. There are ather things that need to be done first though. Like getting that ****in YankMee blue completly out of that park! :angry:

voodoochile
08-28-2002, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I tell ya, the people who run the White Sox are completely clueless as to what this franchise is all about.

"It's to make me a boatload of cash."

Morons. Complete morons.

"I know you are but what am I... stupid fans..."

steff
08-28-2002, 11:25 AM
Guys.. My ticket rep said this via email :

"They may be doing some renovation again this off-season in the upper deck, but no-one has told me anything official so far. I imagine it would be to change the look like we did to the lower deck last season, but that is kind of a guess. It has been being talked about though."

Likely just to make it prettier for the AS Game... IF there is one.

MisterB
08-28-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14

If they build a 'home run porch' in RF, the current out-of-town scoreboard would have to go. Maybe they're going to alter the main scoreboard or the one in LF to take its place? Just a guess...

DVG
08-29-2002, 10:42 PM
:moron

You scum Sox fans can renovate your ballmall all you want!!!!!!!
It won't help!!!!!!! I won't rest as long I have my blood oath war
with Satan Reinsdorf!!!!!!! One day, my beloved Cubbies will be
the one, only and true representative of Chicago left!!!! Your
scum Sox are doomed!!!! DOOOOOOMMMMMMMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

RedPinStripes
08-30-2002, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by steff3603
Guys.. My ticket rep said this via email :

"They may be doing some renovation again this off-season in the upper deck, but no-one has told me anything official so far. I imagine it would be to change the look like we did to the lower deck last season, but that is kind of a guess. It has been being talked about though."

Likely just to make it prettier for the AS Game... IF there is one.

All they can do is take rows off or flaten teh roof. I have no idea what they're doing. There isn't much you can do with it. It's steep, far away, and nothing else there beside Yankee Blue seats.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-30-2002, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
All they can do is take rows off or flaten teh roof. I have no idea what they're doing. There isn't much you can do with it. It's steep, far away, and nothing else there beside Yankee Blue seats.

The costs of those upper deck repairs would be HUGE news. Whatever the Sox have in mind, it must be on a pretty small scale or we would have heard a lot more about it.

I'm betting they do some cosmetic changes to the concourse, probably to match the ones they did on the main concourse last winter.

"If 3 million of you Sox Fans came to my games, I could do all the changes... maybe. Trust me on this."

Jerry_Manuel
08-30-2002, 07:42 AM

I'm hoping they announce something soon. I'd rather talk about that then the crap on the field.

RedPinStripes
08-30-2002, 07:53 AM

The costs of those upper deck repairs would be HUGE news. Whatever the Sox have in mind, it must be on a pretty small scale or we would have heard a lot more about it.

I'm betting they do some cosmetic changes to the concourse, probably to match the ones they did on the main concourse last winter.

"If 3 million of you Sox Fans came to my games, I could do all the changes... maybe. Trust me on this."

Yippe! Jerry sure knows how to answer all our prayers!
I refuse to sit the upper deck so i don't give a **** what they do to it. I would hope it would be something to attract people to watch a game from tehre.

hold2dibber
08-30-2002, 08:34 AM

Yippe! Jerry sure knows how to answer all our prayers!
I refuse to sit the upper deck so i don't give a **** what they do to it. I would hope it would be something to attract people to watch a game from tehre.

The upper deck seats between first and third, particularly in the first ten rows or so, are actually pretty good (especially right behind home).

soxruleEP
08-30-2002, 08:56 AM
I have sat in the upper deck for most of the games I have attended in the last three years. My season tickets are in sec 535, row 7. These are excellent. I have in fact sat in the last row of the upper deck. If you are in the infield the view is good--outside of the bases, the angle becomes very steep and the view is terrible.

I did take the Comiskey upgrade for the Crede 2-homer game (tenth row directly behind the Sox dugout) and found that I haven't sat down there enough!

By the way, the attendance at the Tuesday game was annouced as over 12,000 paid. There sure weren't that many there and the red-shirted Reinsdor minions were still trying to keep people from sitting in the lower deck.

They have become more likely to check for tickets as the crowds have gotten smaller.

RedPinStripes
08-30-2002, 09:22 AM
I don't mind the upper deck within the 1st 10 rows. I just like the lower seck so much that every time i buy a ticket i get something in the lower deck. Last time i sat in the upper deck and liked it was the 93 playoffs.

ghostfacesox
08-31-2002, 10:48 AM
I work at Comiskey and Iknow for a fact thats a lie

PaleHoseGeorge
08-31-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by ghostfacesox

What's a lie? That the first 10 rows of the UD seats around the infield are pretty good seats?

nut_stock
08-31-2002, 03:57 PM
If I want to go to one of the remaining fireworks games, will I need to order tickets in advance with the limited seating?

chisoxt
08-31-2002, 03:57 PM
OTOH, this website has been a big critic of the new scoreboard. It simply fails to capture the essence of what the old scoreboard was all about.

I couldn't agree more! The renovated scoreboard, circa 1976 had strobe lights, pinwheels, chasing lights that varied in the pattern as they moved, and most important of all, the fireworks that appeared as though they were actually coming out of the scoreboard! (I believe that flares or Roman candles actually did). The new board is so static and predicatble, it is no longer a special occurrence when it goes off.

nut_stock
08-31-2002, 10:18 PM
I bet the retirement home behing the scoreboard is the primary reason the scoreboard is the way it is. Oh, and anyone think we'll be selling out those remaining fireworks nights this year (due to reduced capacity)???

duke of dorwood
08-31-2002, 10:23 PM
Talk about high up-anyone driven past the new Soldier field yet? See how high they are building that upper level.

Jerry_Manuel
08-31-2002, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Talk about high up-anyone driven past the new Soldier field yet? See how high they are building that upper level.

A lot of people are already calling it Comiskey II.

Soxheads
08-31-2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

A lot of people are already calling it Comiskey II.

Isn't the current Comiskey actually called Comiskey Park II? If so does that make Soldier Field it's half-brother?

Blueprint1
09-02-2002, 03:52 AM
Everyone new stadiums have high upperdecks. They do that so you can see the field everywhere you sit. Every single new stadium has this feature. People who live in Chicago had never been to new stadiums before new comiskey was built that is why we thought it was soooo high. Look at Dodgers stadium, Cleveland, Texas, heck Milwaukee. All these stadiums have high upperdecks. Speaking of the new soldiers field it was a stupid idea. Everyone wanted to save the old pillars and thats what were left with. We should have just rebuild new pillars around the new stadium. Its not as if the old pillars were real Roman or Greek pillars they were built less than 100 years ago. By the way has anyone been to a newer football stadium like the Gator Bowl in jacksonville or the new stadium in Tennessee? I have and these stadiums also have very high upperdecks its the way new sadiums are built. Old soldier field was was a dump worst stadium ive ever been to. The seats didnt even have arm wrests. If a fat guy sat next to you it was the worst. And dont call me a non bears fan because i bashed the stadium. Its only a stadium im sick of this crying. :whiner:

DVG
09-02-2002, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
Old soldier field was was a dump worst stadium ive ever been to. . :whiner:

I'm with you there. I worked at Soldier Field for four years and
thought it was an absolute dive. I hated it and did not mourn
its loss in the least. The renovated stadium will have better
bathrooms and less pigeon doo-doo, I'm sure.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-02-2002, 06:42 AM
...Speaking of the new soldiers field it was a stupid idea. Everyone wanted to save the old pillars and thats what were left with. We should have just rebuild new pillars around the new stadium. Its not as if the old pillars were real Roman or Greek pillars they were built less than 100 years ago....

I agree. The new upper deck is going to make the Soldier Field columns look like a tinkertoy set. You can't see them from inside the stadium, so what's the big deal? They shouldn't be putting up a giant saucer on Chicago's lakefront, I don't care how much McCaskey whines.

BTW, welcome to WSI. :redneck

RedPinStripes
09-02-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by nut_stock
If I want to go to one of the remaining fireworks games, will I need to order tickets in advance with the limited seating?

Or maybe he's refering to my trip to the 93 playoffs? :smile:

NorthSideConvert
09-03-2002, 04:25 PM
I never knew Sterno came in gallon cans until I worked at Soldier Field. That was how we heated water to cook (?) the hot dogs. All of the electric service had to go to water heaters for the restrooms, and there was no natural gas. Also of note were the railroad ties used to shore up the structure in areas.

NSC

hold2dibber
09-04-2002, 08:43 AM
Everyone new stadiums have high upperdecks. They do that so you can see the field everywhere you sit. Every single new stadium has this feature. People who live in Chicago had never been to new stadiums before new comiskey was built that is why we thought it was soooo high. Look at Dodgers stadium, Cleveland, Texas, heck Milwaukee. All these stadiums have high upperdecks.

That's the truth - I've recently been to Camden and Miller Park, and the upper decks at both of those parks are just as high as at Comiskey. They may be slightly less steep than Comiskey, or that might be a perception based upon the fact that the entrance to those upper decks is in the middle of the deck, instead of at the bottom (so you don't have to walk as far in the aisle to get to the top). Yankee Stadium, which of course is not a new stadium, also has a very high and steep upper deck.

During the first three years of new Comiskey, the Sox drew over 2.5 million fans each year. I personally went to 25-30 games during each of those years and set in the upper deck probably 90% of the time. And I wasn't alone - there were always lots of people in the upper deck in those days and we were all perfectly content. People use the upper deck now as a convenient excuse to rip on Comiskey, but it is a red herring. There are plenty of good seats in the upper deck and, save the last ten rows or so way down the line, none of the seats are really that bad. Plus, there are usually plent of seats available down below if you truly are upper deck adverse.

steff
09-04-2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by ghostfacesox

I'd like to know what's a lie, also. What I posted about the renovations? Got it straight from my ticket rep.. so I doubt it's a lie.