PDA

View Full Version : Did you see this?

Viva Magglio
08-27-2002, 09:33 AM
It was from Friday's Daily Southtown.

Frustrated players take verbal swings at hitting coach Ward (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/231sd1.htm)

RedPinStripes
08-27-2002, 10:44 AM
Yup No surprise.

Kilroy
08-27-2002, 11:51 AM
Since they are talking about this on the Score, a listener made a really good point. I'll paraphrase but use as many of the listener's words as I can remember:

They said that they have serious doubts about the "sources wishing to remain anonymous". Players are fighting over the microphone to go on record and bash #35, but no one will speak up about this?

Where's all the so-called team leaders to speak up about the Gary Ward situation if it's so bad? Where's Mr. Hard-Ass Konerko? Heart and soul Valentin?

[He has] no use for players that can only speak in the bathroom after looking in all the stalls. (I agree).

There's definitely problems on this team, but not all of them are with management.

voodoochile
08-27-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Since they are talking about this on the Score, a listener made a really good point. I'll paraphrase but use as many of the listener's words as I can remember:

They said that they have serious doubts about the "sources wishing to remain anonymous". Players are fighting over the microphone to go on record and bash #35, but no one will speak up about this?

Where's all the so-called team leaders to speak up about the Gary Ward situation if it's so bad? Where's Mr. Hard-Ass Konerko? Heart and soul Valentin?

[He has] no use for players that can only speak in the bathroom after looking in all the stalls. (I agree).

There's definitely problems on this team, but not all of them are with management.

After the Frank blowup in July, the players were told to keep problems in house and not go to the press. That was part of the fallout from the Frank situation. As a result, I can understand players not wanting their names used.

BuehrleACE56
08-27-2002, 12:30 PM
i remember reading about this somewhere. sounds like nobody likes ward at all. gee maybe it's time for some changes. <sigh> not likely though.

Jerry_Manuel
08-27-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy

Well, it's sorta different. Everyone in the media knew about Thomas showing up late, so they asked the players.

The bashing of Ward is one of those pulling the reporter aside comments. Wouldn't surprise me if it was a guy like Mark Johnson, who can't afford to get his name out in the press like that.

RedPinStripes
08-27-2002, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Well, it's sorta different. Everyone in the media knew about Thomas showing up late, so they asked the players.

The bashing of Ward is one of those pulling the reporter aside comments. Wouldn't surprise me if it was a guy like Mark Johnson, who can't afford to get his name out in the press like that.
or Konerko who is afraid to speak his mind now.

Jerry_Manuel
08-27-2002, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
or Konerko who is afraid to speak his mind now.

Perhaps.

If I was him, I'd come out and say it. Williams will get po'ed and maybe even trade him. I'm sure Konerko would welcome a chance to get out of here.

RedPinStripes
08-27-2002, 03:22 PM

Perhaps.

If I was him, I'd come out and say it. Williams will get po'ed and maybe even trade him. I'm sure Konerko would welcome a chance to get out of here.

:burly
Damn right! I wear a Cardinals Jersey under my Sox jersey. Free agencey can't come soon enough.

Jjav829
08-27-2002, 06:47 PM

After I heard about it on The Score this morning I started thinking as to who it could be and one of the first guys who popped into my mind was Graffanino. I think it is probably someone like Graffy and not a big player. We're talking about hitters here so that slims it down. You can take away guys like Crede, Paul, and Harris who haven't been here long enough. It's not really Maggs style to talk like this. Clayton wouldn't talk to Cowley and even if he did, with Cowley's hate of Clayton he would just come out and say that Clayton said it. Using that info it would make sense that Jose might say something like that to Cowley. PK would be another guy who might have said it. I don't see Thomas saying that, nor Carlos. Rowand has been around long enough so hes a possible choice, and possibly Liefer.

It makes sense though that the player wouldn't come out. When your ripping another player, you probably shouldn't come out and say it, but it's a different situation when your ripping the GM of the team. Maybe the player likes being on the White Sox and doesn't want to get on KW's bad side. We know what happens when your on KW's bad side...