PDA

View Full Version : For your viewing pleasure

Daver
08-26-2002, 08:51 PM
Ken Rosenthal's list of the owners that want to shut down the game at any cost. (http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/ken_rosenthal/20020826.html)

doublem23
08-26-2002, 08:56 PM
*Gasp!*

Jerry Reinsdorf???

No!

duke of dorwood
08-26-2002, 09:33 PM
Where's all this caving in coming from?

LongDistanceFan
08-26-2002, 09:38 PM
2 points,

1. they mention that the sox park is lousy, i wonder where this was when there was a big post on that subject.

2. man what is the owner of the tx doing there, didn't he help cause this

Jerry_Manuel
08-26-2002, 09:59 PM
Perhaps MLB should consider itself lucky. If Derek Jeter played for the White Sox, Reinsdorf would run him out of Chicago, Michael Jordan style.

I wonder if Jeter is trying to force Brian Cashman out so Torre can take his job?

Perhaps Mr. Rosenthal should learn the facts.

Other than that good stuff.

I wouldn't mind if they shut the game down for next season.

LongDistanceFan
08-26-2002, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I wonder if Jeter is trying to force Brian Cashman out so Torre can take his job?

Perhaps Mr. Rosenthal should learn the facts.

Other than that good stuff.

same here. i just wish they would find a way to come to an agreement to improve cba. the cost is too outrageous.

Procol Harum
08-26-2002, 11:21 PM

Speaking strictly as a Sox fan--if all we have to look forward to next year is a team as crappy as this one has been this year, then a strike would be a merciful thing, indeed.

Jerry_Manuel
08-26-2002, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Speaking strictly as a Sox fan--if all we have to look forward to next year is a team as crappy as this one has been this year, then a strike would be a merciful thing, indeed.

They'll have a few more "kids" here next baseball season. I'd rather see a team of "kids" playing hard than old, bad, veterans.

If they do shut the game down for the entire season of 2003, there will be less teams when they do comeback.

voodoochile
08-26-2002, 11:41 PM

They'll have a few more "kids" here next baseball season. I'd rather see a team of "kids" playing hard than old, bad, veterans.

If they do shut the game down for the entire season of 2003, there will be less teams when they do comeback.

And at least one less fan. Two if you count my roommate who has already quit the sport...

PaleHoseGeorge
08-27-2002, 01:11 AM
If you truly love baseball, and wish the labor strife of the last 30 years would finally go away, you have to be in favor of a long, bitter strike and lockout.

There will NEVER be labor peace while guys like Reinsdorf are hanging around, waiting for new opportunities to wipe out the players' union. Until the "Walmart Gang" has been wiped out, the next labor impasse is as close as the expiration of the next union contract.

A long bloody conflict will finally cause these guys to pack up their belongings, sell their franchises (at a huge profit), and leave the rest of us to enjoy the game they quite-obviously hate.

:tool
"Ah, for the good ol' days of selling used cars. You could really stick it to 'em with impunity!"

Jerry_Manuel
08-27-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
If you truly love baseball, and wish the labor strife of the last 30 years would finally go away, you have to be in favor of a long, bitter strike and lockout.

There will NEVER be labor peace while guys like Reinsdorf are hanging around, waiting for new opportunities to wipe out the players' union. Until the "Walmart Gang" has been wiped out, the next labor impasse is as close as the expiration of the next union contract.

A long bloody conflict will finally cause these guys to pack up their belongings, sell their franchises (at a huge profit), and leave the rest of us to enjoy the game they quite-obviously hate.

The labor problems honestly don't bother me. I'm not the type who is going to walk away because of the problems.

Reinsdorf thinks he has this all figured out, but he doesn't. Even if the"Walmart Gang" broke the Union, Reinsdorf still won't sign pitchers to long-term deals. He still won't talk with Boras players. So what's the difference?

I don't think either side has the guts to cancel the Series for 2 years in a row.

voodoochile
08-27-2002, 05:00 PM

The labor problems honestly don't bother me. I'm not the type who is going to walk away because of the problems.

Reinsdorf thinks he has this all figured out, but he doesn't. Even if the"Walmart Gang" broke the Union, Reinsdorf still won't sign pitchers to long-term deals. He still won't talk with Boras players. So what's the difference?

I don't think either side has the guts to cancel the Series for 2 years in a row.

Two things...

1) I misspoke earlier. Nothing will ever stop me from being a Sox fan, but if they cancel the WS and/or next season, it will be a long time before I spend any more money on the team. I will get my fix through TV and the Internet and find other things to spend my money on during the summer months.

2)There is no way the Series will be canceled two years in a row. The owners will go to replacement players long before that happens. I expect to almost see a regular ST next year with replacements if the situation is still unresolved. The Sox allowing their roster to slowly dwindle down below 40 is proof enough for me...