PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the article on the Doctor Wilhelm...

Tragg
08-26-2002, 07:28 PM
that and "Man Alive" and "That Little Package of Dynamite" bring me great memories of 1967, my first as a Sox fan. He was a great pitcher.

That season, I remember asking my father, who is a physician, what type of doctor doctor wilhelm was.

Great article, as always Mark, George and the rest.

Lip Man 1
08-26-2002, 08:59 PM
Thank you for reading it.

I just felt the Chicago papers didn't do Hoyt justice, I mean who gave a damn about what he accomplished with the Giants and Orioles.

Wilhelm will forever be know as a Sox pitcher, at least that's my feeling.

By the way what hat did Wilhelm wear on his plaque in the hall? Does anybody know?

Lip

LongDistanceFan
08-26-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

I just felt the Chicago papers didn't do Hoyt justice, I mean who gave a damn about what he accomplished with the Giants and Orioles.

By the way what hat did Wilhelm wear on his plaque in the hall? Does anybody know?

Lip

damn, i tried looking for it and i can't......... ok i give up, which one, the sox?

DVG
08-26-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

I saw an article (can't remember where) that has a picture of his
HOF plaque. He's wearing a Giants hat.

doublem23
08-26-2002, 10:21 PM
Looks like a New York Giants hat...

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/in_memoriam/images/wilhelm_hoyt_plaque.jpg

Procol Harum
08-26-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by DVG

I saw an article (can't remember where) that has a picture of his
HOF plaque. He's wearing a Giants hat.

Yeah, a shame--he achieved his greatest success with the Sox. I was surprised in looking back to see that he pitched so well in '68 for a team that went totally down the dumper. That said, those teams from '63 to '67 had incredible pitching that were never recognized for how good they really were--Peters, Pizarro, Horlen, John, Herbert, Wilhelm, Fisher, and Locker. Even mediocre pitchers like Bruce Howard and John Buzhardt were--in retrospect--pretty talented. I just read David Halberstam's October 1964 (great book, overall) and he downplays how good the '64 edition of the Sox was.

As far as Wilhelm's choice of hat, I'll wager that his appearance w/ the Giants in the '54 Series probably influenced the decision to opt for that hat.

Lip Man 1
08-27-2002, 02:52 PM
That's just it, I don't know.

Lip