PDA

View Full Version : Another strike article. Who's lying?

ma-gaga
08-26-2002, 02:39 PM
one way of looking at it. (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/baseball/marlins/sfl-mikeb26aug26.column?coll=sfla-sports-marlins)

voodoochile
08-26-2002, 02:53 PM
Great link. Thanks for sharing it. For all the bad press the players are getting, it is nice to see at least one writer tell the other side of the story...

MisterB
08-26-2002, 06:35 PM
We hear about the sport's competitive imbalance, but little about the fact 21 of 30 teams have made the playoffs in the past seven years with a 22nd, the Minnesota Twins, Team Contraction, roaring toward October. All this has happened under the current economic system, the one that is supposedly broken.

A correction to this statement: 20 different teams have made it to the playoffs the last 7 years. Out of those 56 playoff spots (7 years X 4 teams each from 2 leagues), the Yankees, Braves and Indians account for 20 (35.7%) of them. 5 teams made only 1 appearance each over that span, which means half of the ML teams have made 5 playoff appearances between them. That doesn't exactly sound like proof positive that competitive balance exists.

Jerry_Manuel
08-26-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
A correction to this statement: 20 different teams have made it to the playoffs the last 7 years. Out of those 56 playoff spots (7 years X 4 teams each from 2 leagues), the Yankees, Braves and Indians account for 20 (35.7%) of them. 5 teams made only 1 appearance each over that span, which means half of the ML teams have made 5 playoff appearances between them. That doesn't exactly sound like proof positive that competitive balance exists.

Factor in the fire sale Marlins, and the crap ass Padres.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-27-2002, 12:45 AM

Yeah you're right. It was far more competitive back when the players were paid like factory workers and the Yankees, Giants, and Dodgers were bringing home nearly all the pennants and championships for NYC.

Brilliant point.

MisterB
08-27-2002, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Yeah you're right. It was far more competitive back when the players were paid like factory workers and the Yankees, Giants, and Dodgers were bringing home nearly all the pennants and championships for NYC.

Brilliant point.

Baseball has never had competitive balance. I was merely refuting his assertion that there is competitive balance now. (I pretty much agree with the rest of what he said) Unfortunately the first step in achieving balance would be having 30 owners that were actually interested in competing...

PaleHoseGeorge
08-27-2002, 08:17 AM

Baseball has never had competitive balance. I was merely refuting his assertion that there is competitive balance now. (I pretty much agree with the rest of what he said) Unfortunately the first step in achieving balance would be having 30 owners that were actually interested in competing...

I agree. In fact, if the owners were truly serious about competitive balance (rather than lining their pockets), they would stop this charade about revenue sharing and luxury taxes (aka "salary cap") with promises about competitive balance. Yea, sure...

They want competitive balance? Let the teams with the worst records over the last five years draft players off the 25-man roster of the five teams with the best records over the same period. You can work out the details of protecting 2-3 "franchise players" or whatever, but real talent would definitely switch teams.

BINGO--talent disparity instantly solved! You know why the owners won't do it? Because guys like Carl Pohlad will turn right around and trade their Jason Giambis and Nomar Garciaparras for cash, baubles, and magic beans--and swear up and down they can't afford to compete.

The problem is not competitive balance. The problem is owners that can not, or will not, compete. Run these *******s out of baseball and damned near any economic system will work just fine.*

Sad sacks like Pohlad are the problem! Doesn't his pocketing the revenue sharing dollars prove the point? Wolves in sheeps' clothing like Reinsdorf are the problem! This jerk extorted a brand-new free ballpark from the taxpayers, got 100+ diamond suites, plays in the #3 media market, and still whines about being small market!

For a more thorough treatment of this subject, read Andrew Zimablist's "Baseball and Billions." I also recommend staying away from anything written by Cubune apologist (and toadie) Phil Rogers. These past weeks he has given up his last pretense of journalistic objectivity--not that anybody from the Cubune would ever admit to it.

*P.S.
Oh by the way, running the sad sacks out of baseball would be relatively painless. Guys like Reinsdorf ($20 million) and Pohlad ($35 million) would realize incredible returns on their investments from selling--not that they would ever admit buying a baseball team was hugely profitable for them--or that toadies like Rogers would ever note this fact.

ma-gaga
08-27-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Oh by the way, running the sad sacks out of baseball would be relatively painless. Guys like Reinsdorf ($20 million) and Pohlad ($35 million) would realize incredible returns on their investments from selling--not that they would ever admit buying a baseball team was hugely profitable for them--or that toadies like Rogers would ever note this fact.

yeah the thing that kills me, is that Carl Pohlad is actually in debt on his franchise ownership value according to the 60/40 study. He owes over $120MM on a team that's valued at $150MM, or something like that.

It absolutely stuns me that people believe this, or let this go. How much does Reinsy "owe" on the Sox franchise?