PDA

View Full Version : Magglio Ordonez: Best RF In Chicago

RKMeibalane
08-25-2002, 11:57 PM
Cubs fans like to say that Magglio Ordonez is the "second best right fielder in Chicago." I beg to differ.

Magglio Ordonez is a better player than Sammy Sosa. Why? Well, let's think about this...

Who is the better homerun hitter?

Sosa.

Who is the better contact hitter?

Ordonez.

Who is the better hitter with men on base?

Ordonez.

Who is the better base-runner?

Ordonez.

Who is the more fundamentally sound player?

Ordonez.

Who does not need steroids to post impressive numbers?

Ordonez.

Case closed.

RedPinStripes
08-26-2002, 12:19 AM
Ordonez is also better defensivly and ShamME's arm is no match gor maggss'

VeeckAsInWreck
08-26-2002, 12:27 AM
RK, you bring up a good case for Maggs but there is a surprise witness that would like to take the stand.
:barney&sham
B:Sorry I'm late Sammy!
SS:Dats OK!
B:RK, you forgot to ask, Who is the bigger showboat? The answer? My super friend Sammy Sosa!
SS:Uh, Barn........
B:Hold on! Let me finish! Who hops up and down like a bunny rabbit even when he flies out to the warning track? That's right my friend Sammy Sosa!
SS: RK, I would like to withdraw my witness' comments from the record.

ilovemags30
08-26-2002, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Cubs fans like to say that Magglio Ordonez is the "second best right fielder in Chicago." I beg to differ.

Magglio Ordonez is a better player than Sammy Sosa. Why? Well, let's think about this...

Who is the better homerun hitter?

Sosa.

Who is the better contact hitter?

Ordonez.

Who is the better hitter with men on base?

Ordonez.

Who is the better base-runner?

Ordonez.

Who is the more fundamentally sound player?

Ordonez.

Who does not need steroids to post impressive numbers?

Ordonez.

Case closed.

i couldnt agree wit u more.. hehe i made a sign that said that at the cubs/sox series and i held it up it said.. "SAMMY.. MAGGLIO IS THE ONLY RIGHT FIELDER FOR CHICAGO" yea and after sammy saw it he mumbled sumptin and gave me the nastiest look ever... so i also have to add.. that magglio is a lot nicer to the fans even if they arent to fond of him(even tho that has nuttin to do wit his performance out on the field)

RedPinStripes
08-26-2002, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
RK, you bring up a good case for Maggs but there is a surprise witness that would like to take the stand.
:barney&sham
B:Sorry I'm late Sammy!
SS:Dats OK!
B:RK, you forgot to ask, Who is the bigger showboat? The answer? My super friend Sammy Sosa!
SS:Uh, Barn........
B:Hold on! Let me finish! Who hops up and down like a bunny rabbit even when he flies out to the warning track? That's right my friend Sammy Sosa!
SS: RK, I would like to withdraw my witness' comments from the record.

*****!

VeeckAsInWreck
08-26-2002, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

*****!

Thanks! It's funny what a computer and a bottle of Jack Daniels can do for the imagination! :D:

CubKilla
08-26-2002, 12:50 AM

As long as he's NOT throwing footballs. LOL :D:

WhiteSox = Life
08-26-2002, 06:16 AM

:shammy
"What are you talking about? I am clearly better defensively than Magglio Ordonez. You tell me you never see me throw bullets to area around the catcher? You must be kidding! If my big toe didn't hurt, I would kick you right in your ass!"

WhiteSox = Life
08-26-2002, 06:24 AM
http://www.duffzone.co.uk/grabpics/thumbs/dr_nick_thumb.gif
"Uh oh, Sammy. You're starting to become irascible again. Time for another booster!"

doublem23
08-26-2002, 12:14 PM
Did anyone see on BBTN last night when they actually gave some credit to Maggs? I know, I nearly fell off the sofa here, too when I saw it.

Maggs is probably (of course, I'm a little biased :smile: ) the best outfielder in baseball except for maybe the utter elites like Ichiro and whatnot.

RedPinStripes
08-26-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Did anyone see on BBTN last night when they actually gave some credit to Maggs? I know, I nearly fell off the sofa here, too when I saw it.

Maggs is probably (of course, I'm a little biased :smile: ) the best outfielder in baseball except for maybe the utter elites like Ichiro and whatnot.

Yeah. I was trying to figure out what brought that up finally. lol It's about time they gave him credit.

hold2dibber
08-26-2002, 12:32 PM
The statistics show them to be pretty comparable offesively, although Sosa is probably a bit ahead of Maggs this year; but add Maggs' defense and Sosa's "me first" mentality, and I'd take Maggs in a heart beat.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_sortable_player_stats.jsp?section1=null&statSet1=null&statType=1&timeFrame=1&baseballScope=mlb&prevPage1=1&readBoxes=true&teamPosCode=O&compare.x=19&compare.y=1&timeSubFrame=2002&box1=XXXX122544chnO&box2=XXXX120044chaO&compare.x=&sortByStat=RBI&

DrCrawdad
08-26-2002, 01:16 PM
Sosa vs. Ordonez, Defensive Stats (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_sortable_player_stats.jsp?section3=null&statSet3=null&statType=3&sortByStat=G&timeFrame=1&timeSubFrame=2002&baseballScope=mlb&prevPage3=1&readBoxes=true&sitSplit=&venueID=&teamPosCode=O&box28=XXXX122544chnO&box40=XXXX120044chaO&compare.x=39&compare.y=7)
Sosa vs. Ordonez, Offensive Stats (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_sortable_player_stats.jsp?box6=XXXX122544XXXX&section1=14&statSet1=1&statType=1&timeFrame=1&baseballScope=mlb&isCompare=true&teamPosCode=O&box1=XXXX120044chaO&checkBoxTotal=0&playerLocator=sosa&timeSubFrame=2002&compare.x=&sortByStat=AVG&)

VeeckAsInWreck
08-26-2002, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the stats DrC!
The numbers that jump out for me, is that Maggs has struck out only 66 times as compared to Sammy's 115.
Defensively Maggs has a higher fielding percentage but, for those cluless baby bear fans that say that Sammy has a better arm, Maggs has one more outfield assist than Sammy.
The numbers don't lie! Sammy may have 14 more HR's than Maggs but, Sosa only has 6 more total bases than Ordonez.
So the best right fielder in Chicago is.......

Magglio Ordonez!!!!
(this is the part where all of us act surpised!) :o:

:giangreco :santo :hughes
(All speaking in monotone robotic voices)
But Chicago Looooves Sammy!

whitesoxwilkes
08-26-2002, 03:57 PM
So I was listening to Piersall and North on the Score this afternoon (which I know is a sin, but I like him during pigskin season)..they both even said that they'd take Mags in a heartbeat over Sammy. big ha!

HawkDJ
08-26-2002, 06:27 PM
One argument I've had with my friend is who is better, Maggs or Vlad Guerrero? I had to go with Vlad, sorry. The offensive stats are neck and neck but Vlads gun and D give him the edge in my book. Not to mention he is 2 years younger.

doublem23
08-26-2002, 06:48 PM
Oh yeah... Maggs and Vlad? There's really not much a comparison between the two. As much as I like Magglio (and as good as he is), Vlad is one of the ELITE outfielders in the game that I forementioned. Vlad is in the category of guys like Ichiro Suzuki, and is probably the #1 or #2 OF in the game.

DrCrawdad
08-26-2002, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
Thanks for the stats DrC!
The numbers that jump out for me, is that Maggs has struck out only 66 times as compared to Sammy's 115.
Defensively Maggs has a higher fielding percentage but, for those cluless baby bear fans that say that Sammy has a better arm, Maggs has one more outfield assist than Sammy.
The numbers don't lie! Sammy may have 14 more HR's than Maggs but, Sosa only has 6 more total bases than Ordonez.

To me a telling stat is the RBI's. Sammy has 96, Magglio 102. Sammy has 14 more HR's than Magglio.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-26-2002, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

To me a telling stat is the RBI's. Sammy has 96, Magglio 102. Sammy has 14 more HR's than Magglio.
:maggs
"You make me blush DrC, now tell me how great I am again!" :D:

hold2dibber
08-27-2002, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

But Sosa has about 40 more BBs than Magglio; which means he's not getting as many opportunities to drive in runs because teams are pitching around him, yet he only has 6 less RBIs than Maggs. I actually think the RBIs are in Sosa's favor. I still would pick Maggs over Sosa, but not based on the RBIs.

WhiteSox = Life
08-27-2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

But Sosa has about 40 more BBs than Magglio; which means he's not getting as many opportunities to drive in runs because teams are pitching around him, yet he only has 6 less RBIs than Maggs. I actually think the RBIs are in Sosa's favor. I still would pick Maggs over Sosa, but not based on the RBIs.

That's a very true statement saying that Sham-Me is driving in runs and getting on base scoring runs thereby creating more runs, according to Bill James, anyway. But I'm not going to go into that.

However, the walk thing is interesting. Here's a question:

What do Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa and Jason Giambi all have in common?

Besides all being superstars, they all draw a lot of walks. There is a reason though. Most umpires all afflicted with a little disease called, "Superstar Treatment" as they seem to give the player the benefit of the doubt.

Barry Bonds has the strike zone of about an ashtray. Anything anywhere near being a ball is, in fact, called a ball. Same pitch to say Giants 3B David Bell; strike.

Giambi also gets similar calls, but when he gets pitched his zone is a little bit larger. Not much wrong with Giambi's as he does have an excellent eye.

Not to Sosa. Sham-Me already has 110+ strikeouts and that's while still having a very small strike zone. Not only does the HP Umpire give him a small zone, Sosa shrinks it even more during his strange stance.

Imagine Sosa's K's if he were to get the same strike zone as a guy like David Bell (Just using him again as an example; I'm not purposely exposing him). Sham-Me would be challenging Jose Hernandez for the most strikeouts in the majors.

There has been at least 15 times this year that I've seen Sosa get an enlarged strike zone on a pitch that should've struck him out. And, a lot of the time, it's on a 3-2 count and Sosa walks.

Oh, and Sosa becoming more patient at the plate? Yeah, a little. But I don't think it's that hard to stay off a fastball 8 inches off the plate.

Anyway, as for best RF'ers in the game, here's my list, in order.

Ichiro
Guerrero
Maggs

Hey, thanks for reading!

HawkDJ
08-27-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Oh yeah... Maggs and Vlad? There's really not much a comparison between the two. As much as I like Magglio (and as good as he is), Vlad is one of the ELITE outfielders in the game that I forementioned. Vlad is in the category of guys like Ichiro Suzuki, and is probably the #1 or #2 OF in the game.

Yes I agree however Maggs does have better RBI and runs scored numbers.

LukyBoysConfusin
08-27-2002, 05:44 PM
Ok first off I am in no way a cubs fan/ sosa supporter... yet one question? who puts people in the seats?

i still think mags is better...but i just kind of had to throw my two cents in...

Daver
08-27-2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by LukyBoysConfusin
Ok first off I am in no way a cubs fan/ sosa supporter... yet one question? who puts people in the seats?

i still think mags is better...but i just kind of had to throw my two cents in...

Your talking about Wrigley Feild,they could put the batboy in RF and they would still sell tickets.

nixsox
08-27-2002, 08:37 PM
Have you ever seen steroid boy hit the cutoff man? I've seen Maggs do it before. It looks like Shammee throws with his eyes closed. :D:

Paulwny
08-28-2002, 02:07 PM
After Maggs 3 run hr Blue Jay announcer Tom Cheek (sp) :" Ordonez has to be the most unsung player playing in a large city."

VeeckAsInWreck
08-28-2002, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
After Maggs 3 run hr Blue Jay announcer Tom Cheek (sp) :" Ordonez has to be the most unsung player playing in a large city."

We need to start giving Canadians more credit! :D:

doublem23
08-28-2002, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2

Yes I agree however Maggs does have better RBI and runs scored numbers.

Well, as kermit stated, RBIs and runs scored aren't, I forget the name of them.... something like primary stats. In other words, if the Sox offense wasn't ranked 3rd in the AL in runs scored, I doubt Maggs would be having as big runs/RBIs numbers. Likewise, if Montreal wasn't a pitiful offense, Vlad's RBI and runs scored would be way up.