PDA

View Full Version : George Hires Top Lawyer

Lip Man 1
08-25-2002, 12:29 PM
According to Chet Coppock on The Sporting News Radio Network last night, Yankees owner George Steinbrenner has hired the top anti - trust lawyer in America (I'm sorry I don't recognize the name).

Coppock spoke with a guy who runs a sports / business service and the guy told him on air that Steinbrenner has retained the lawyer because he is waiting to see how the labor impasse comes out.

If the Yankees are made the "target" of any settlement with the players union in regards to revenue sharing, and the luxury tax, Steinbrenner will sue MLB saying that the owners have acted in consort to devalue his franchise.

Apparently Steinbrenner has already notified MLB and the players union of this.

Somehow I have a feeling that Steinbrenner isn't screwing around, unlike the minority owners of the Expos and Doubleday of the Mets.

You wonder what effect if any, this might have on the owners and the players union.

Just FYI.

Lip

Daver
08-25-2002, 12:42 PM
The lawyers name is David Boies,he worked for Al Gore during the election mess down in Fla.

Paulwny
08-25-2002, 12:53 PM
Newsday:By Laura Price-Brown
STAFF WRITER

August 20, 2002

George Steinbrenner stands to pay $87 million in revenue sharing and luxury taxes - more than a 200 percent increase - if the hardline baseball owners have their way, according to a confidential memo circulated by union executive director Donald Fehr to players and agents.

The Yankees paid $28.2 million this year in revenue sharing under the expired collective-bargaining agreement (they did not have to pay a luxury tax).

Iguana775
08-25-2002, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
According to Chet Coppock on The Sporting News Radio Network last night, Yankees owner George Steinbrenner has hired the top anti - trust lawyer in America (I'm sorry I don't recognize the name).

Coppock spoke with a guy who runs a sports / business service and the guy told him on air that Steinbrenner has retained the lawyer because he is waiting to see how the labor impasse comes out.

If the Yankees are made the "target" of any settlement with the players union in regards to revenue sharing, and the luxury tax, Steinbrenner will sue MLB saying that the owners have acted in consort to devalue his franchise.

Apparently Steinbrenner has already notified MLB and the players union of this.

Somehow I have a feeling that Steinbrenner isn't screwing around, unlike the minority owners of the Expos and Doubleday of the Mets.

You wonder what effect if any, this might have on the owners and the players union.

Just FYI.

Lip

tell George to stick that lawyer up his ass. god, i hate him.

Daver
08-25-2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775

tell George to stick that lawyer up his ass. god, i hate him.

If he sues baseball,in the long run he will doing the game a favor.

Iguana775
08-25-2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by daver

If he sues baseball,in the long run he will doing the game a favor.

what would it accomplish?? make baseball reveal their books?

Daver
08-25-2002, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775

what would it accomplish?? make baseball reveal their books?

Yep,every team would be named in disclosure,and all the dirty laundry will be revealed.And there would be no getting around it,perjury laws are impossible to get around.

TornLabrum
08-25-2002, 08:16 PM
A true test of how serious a threat this is will be how fast Commissioner Budlight caves in and a compromise is reached with the MLBPA.

Daver
08-25-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
A true test of how serious a threat this is will be how fast Commissioner Budlight caves in and a compromise is reached with the MLBPA.

A truer test will be how fast he pays off the racketeering suit brought by the Expos minority owners,a lawyer freind of mine told me they have a much better case than Steinbrennar does.

TornLabrum
08-25-2002, 08:23 PM

A truer test will be how fast he pays off the racketeering suit brought by the Expos minority owners,a lawyer freind of mine told me they have a much better case than Steinbrennar does.

I heard that he settled the threatened litigations with both the Mets and Expos people. Did I hear wrong?

Daver
08-25-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

I heard that he settled the threatened litigations with both the Mets and Expos people. Did I hear wrong?

You heard half right,the Mets litigation has settled,Wilpon got what he originally asked for,the "official"MLB numbers were tossed out the window.

TornLabrum
08-25-2002, 08:28 PM

You heard half right,the Mets litigation has settled,Wilpon got what he originally asked for,the "official"MLB numbers were tossed out the window.

Thanks. I knew I heard something!

MisterB
08-26-2002, 01:38 AM
I wonder if anyone will explain to King George the fact that part of the reason he can rake in as much revenue as he does is because baseball's antitrust expemption allows him and the Mets to refuse any additional competition in the NY market? If the exemption goes bye-bye, just see how many franchises would rather have a fraction of the NY market than all of, say, Kansas City or Pittsburgh or Minneapolis...