PDA

View Full Version : Several prospects...

OfficerKarkovice
08-24-2002, 04:30 PM
Randar, Vic, or whoever...whats the deal with a few of these guys here? Some seem to be having tremendous years:

SS Danny Sandoval is second in the league with 80 runs and tied for second with 39 stolen bases.

Heath Phillips, a 10th-round pick two years ago, has three shutouts and four complete games.

Edwin Yan has one week to break Ced Landrum's record of 79 steals set in 1979. Yan has a league-leading 76.

LHP Nik Lubisich, a 31st round pick last year, improved to 8-2 by going the distance and allowing two hits in a 6-1 victory over Charleston. He is 8-2 with a 2.90 ERA.

LHP Daniel Haigwood, a 16th-round pick in June, is tied for second in the league with six wins and has struck out 60 in 63 innings. He has a 2.29 ERA.

Vsahajpal
08-24-2002, 04:48 PM
I was touting Heath "Baby Buehrle" Phillips earlier this season, I'm not surprised by his effectiveness. He was a draft & follow out of Lake City CC in Florida, and will finish out the season as a 20 y/o. His best pitches are a 88-91 mph cutter, and a slider.

Yan is a Luis Castillo clone, just 20 years old acquired in the Guerrier trade I believe. He probably projects to hit for more power than Castillo as he fills out his 6'0 170 lb frame, but I expect 2b and leadoff will be his calling, strong arm, rangy, we'll see.

Haigwood was the Arkansas prep player of the year this past season. He probably should've gone higher than the 16th round; I don't think school was an option for him so he was a bit unlucky in that regard. He's got good size 6'2 205, and long arms so he pitches a bit downhill, his fastball is 87-90, and he has the makings of a plus curveball, 72-75 mph velocity. 40-0 during his high school career, bulldog mentality.

I'll defer to Randar on the others.

OfficerKarkovice
08-24-2002, 10:13 PM
Thanks Vic...you're the man...good to see you back around too :smile:

Randar68
08-24-2002, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
SS Danny Sandoval is second in the league with 80 runs and tied for second with 39 stolen bases.

LHP Nik Lubisich, a 31st round pick last year, improved to 8-2 by going the distance and allowing two hits in a 6-1 victory over Charleston. He is 8-2 with a 2.90 ERA.

Sandoval was signed out of Venezuela in Dec. 1996. He has played mainly SS and 2B, but also 3B, 1B, and OF this season. He's only got average tools across the board. While he has good speed, he's not a very good basestealer. While he has 39 SB's or so this season, he has been caught 22 times. He's not a very good bunter either. He was not listed in the top 30 of Sox prospects by BA this past year.

Lubisich was a 31st round pick in the 2001 draft out of Div III Willamette Univ. (Ore.). He's a good athlete as he hit .337 with a team-high 7 HR's in his last year of collegiate ball. Decent frame at 6'2" and a tad short of 200 pounds. He has solid control, but will not overpower you. Only a "decent" pitching prospect IMO, as he is still at a pretty low level for a pitcher with 2 years of college ball under his belt and a season in short-season Rookie league. 23 years old right now.