PDA

View Full Version : Miguel Olivo update:

Randar68
08-24-2002, 11:56 AM
He almost hit for the cycle last night, coming up a single short!

He is now hitting .312, 24 2B, 9 3B, 6 HR, 46 RBI, 39 BB, 58 SO, 27 SB, 12 CS, 11 DP, .388 OBP, .878 OPS, 12 E in 96 games at C

HawkDJ
08-24-2002, 11:59 AM
Hopefully he will come up and get some starts on September 1st, of course if there is no strike, instead of coming up and doing nothing. He is going to much better than Mark Johnson or Josh Paul will ever be. He should be our opening day starter next year.

Randar68
08-24-2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
Hopefully he will come up and get some starts on September 1st, of course if there is no strike, instead of coming up and doing nothing. He is going to much better than Mark Johnson or Josh Paul will ever be. He should be our opening day starter next year.

He is a better hitter than either if he were to be called up today. However, while he has better tools than the other two, he is also the least experienced and least disciplined of the 3. IMO, a callup would be good for him, but he will be better off with at least half a season in AAA (full season if it were up to me).

34 Inch Stick
08-24-2002, 12:50 PM
Am I reading this wrong. Does he have 9 triples and 27 stolen bases. That sounds like the fastest catcher this side of Jamie Quirk! The 12 errors sounds like a bit much but I am glad we are finally developing a legitimate catching prospect.

Maybe we can move Mark Johnson to the outfield just like Fisk.

RedPinStripes
08-24-2002, 05:41 PM
I guess the bradford deal wasn't so bad huh ESPN?

CuckTheFubs
08-24-2002, 11:09 PM
ChicagoSports.com:

Youth is served: Williams tabbed Miguel Olivo, a 24-year-old catcher from the Dominican Republic, as one of the bright lights in the Sox's farm system. Playing for Double-A Birmingham, Olivo has starred behind the plate and at bat, hitting nine triples and stealing 27 bases.

Asked to evaluate the recent play of Harris at second and Crede at third, Williams said: "I'm glad to see they're relaxing and starting to have a little fun. At first they put too much pressure on themselves."

RedPinStripes
08-25-2002, 12:13 AM
Asked to evaluate the recent play of Harris at second and Crede at third, Williams said: "I'm glad to see they're relaxing and starting to have a little fun. At first they put too much pressure on themselves."

That's got to be onw of the only things that KW said in a while that makes a lot of sense. :o: