PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Feel The Same Way?

WhiteSox = Life
08-24-2002, 04:03 AM
Although no one is around as of this minute to reply to this, I was wondering what people thought of another of the many faults of the Chicago White Sox.

Is anyone else as pissed as I am by all of the First-Pitch Swinging lately?

It seems like once an inning now, one guy will get up to the plate and swing first pitch and pop-out or ground-out weakly.

I don't mind if a player is being aggressive, but this has gotten ridiculous. Even though statistics show that putting the first pitch into play offers a higher probability of a hit, the White Sox have taken this principle to the extreme. The purpose is to look for a certain pitch in your zone and if you don't get it, LAY OFF!

However, I see so many guys hacking first pitch and making a quick out. WHY? Don't you think this issue should be addressed a little?

Out of all the players who do it, and there are quite a few, the one that pisses me off most is Carlos Lee. He constantly swings first pitch. If he would just take one or two, he could find something to drive a little bit better. In Friday's game he came up in the 9th with 2 outs and what'd he do? You guessed it. FPS'ing!

There's a fine line between being aggressive and just swinging your socks off when you see a pitch that's over the plate.

Perhaps I'm a little upset over the loss to the D-Ray's but I honestly believe this should be brought up sometime soon.

To conclude this piece, I just want to say that FPS'ing is okay as long as you get a pitch you want and do with it what you want. If you make an out, fine: as long as you followed what you wanted to do in the first place.

But, to parody an Elton John and Kiki Dee song:

"Don't go swinging so hard!
Trying to kill the ball!
Just make solid contact!
Please don't aim for the wall!"

:gallas
"Hmm. According to my thinking, since 'Elvis Night' is so popular, 'Elton Night' should be even more popular. People may flock to see Elvis, 'The King of Rock 'N' Roll', but I bet I'd draw even more people with Elton John, 'The Queen of Rock 'N' Roll'!"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1895000/images/_1898854_elton150.jpg

VeeckAsInWreck
08-24-2002, 07:29 AM
I agree with you all the way! This team has been putting on a clinic on how not to play baseball! With the exception of the rookies, everyone else on the team has at times played like Babe Ruth.....and I mean Babe Ruth Today!.....DEAD!
This Elvis night was the first one I missed since its' inception back in 1997. Normally I look forward to seeing the flying Elvi but, I wasn't willing to sit through 2 hours and 40 minutes of crap that attempts to pass for Major League Baseball. Instead, I stayed in an enjoyed a Bears pre-season football game on TV with my buddies!
I didn't have to pay $13 to park outside my house, I didn't have to pay $4.75 every time I wanted a beer, and best of all I didn't have to pay $20 to see a bunch of millionaires play a kids' game like it was a chore. Worst of all we can't beat the bloody Devil Rays! I hate to rant y'all but I am truly disgusted with this team right now. I am willing to bet that the little league team from Harlem can give the Sox a run for their money. Oh the pain!
:beer
This will numb my pain! :gulp:

oldcomiskey
08-24-2002, 10:00 AM
the funny thing about this is--I was yelling the same thing last night--DONT TRY TO KILL THE BALL

idseer
08-24-2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
Although no one is around as of this minute to reply to this, I was wondering what people thought of another of the many faults of the Chicago White Sox.

It seems like once an inning now, one guy will get up to the plate and swing first pitch and pop-out or ground-out weakly.

I don't mind if a player is being aggressive, but this has gotten ridiculous. Even though statistics show that putting the first pitch into play offers a higher probability of a hit, the White Sox have taken this principle to the extreme. The purpose is to look for a certain pitch in your zone and if you don't get it, LAY OFF!

However, I see so many guys hacking first pitch and making a quick out. WHY? Don't you think this issue should be addressed a little?

Out of all the players who do it, and there are quite a few, the one that pisses me off most is Carlos Lee. He constantly swings first pitch. If he would just take one or two, he could find something to drive a little bit better. In Friday's game he came up in the 9th with 2 outs and what'd he do? You guessed it. FPS'ing!

There's a fine line between being aggressive and just swinging your socks off when you see a pitch that's over the plate.

Perhaps I'm a little upset over the loss to the D-Ray's but I honestly believe this should be brought up sometime soon.

To conclude this piece, I just want to say that FPS'ing is okay as long as you get a pitch you want and do with it what you want. If you make an out, fine: as long as you followed what you wanted to do in the first place.

But, to parody an Elton John and Kiki Dee song:

"Don't go swinging so hard!
Trying to kill the ball!
Just make solid contact!
Please don't aim for the wall!"

otoh, 1st pitch swinging does shorten the agony.

Paulwny
08-24-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life

[/IMG]

The baseball intelligence of the coaches and some players on this team is nil.
Almost every team uses the pitch count with their starters, the deeper you go into the count with each at bat you increase the probability of the starter being removed earlier in the game.

RKMeibalane
08-24-2002, 04:30 PM
First pitch swinging- yet another reason to fire Gary Ward once the season ends. The only starter I know of who doesn't swing at the first pitch is Frank Thomas.

:hitless

"I never swing at the first pitch."

:walnuts

"You never play, either. Unless of course your father is in the mood to buy more ice cream."

VeeckAsInWreck
08-24-2002, 04:38 PM
I'm not sure what the success rate is for Sox players swinging at the first pitch, but it seems that the only one who has any success with that strategy is Maggs.
Do any of you stat wizards know what Sox players have the highest/lowest Avg. for swinging on the first pitch?

RKMeibalane
08-24-2002, 05:34 PM
From ESPN.com- Batting Avg. With 0-0 Count:

Highest: .545 (6-11) Joe Crede

Lowest: .194 (6-31) Frank Thomas

Soxheads
08-24-2002, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
From ESPN.com- Batting Avg. With 0-0 Count:

Highest: .545 (6-11) Joe Crede

Which of the players who have been here since the season started has the highest? How about those who work a full count?

RKMeibalane
08-24-2002, 06:42 PM
Batting Avg. With 0-0 Count (Revised):

Highest: .393 (11-28) Mark Johnson

Batting Avg. With 3-2 Count:

Highest: .400 (8-20) Royce Clayton

Lowest: .000 (0-9) Jeff Liefer

"I told you I could hit."

:hurt

"Royce, finish your ice cream, and leave."

WhiteSox = Life
08-24-2002, 07:14 PM
"I don't leave until I get ice cream AND cake!"

:reinsy
"White Sox fans, if you want Royce to get his cake and ice cream and leave, then you better come out to Comiskey Park. I mean, how many great ideas does Gallas have to come up with before we sell out every night?"

RKMeibalane
08-24-2002, 07:48 PM
Mr. Reinsdorf,

It is because we are loyal White Sox fans that we cannot support Royce Clayton as the starting shortstop. He simply is not productive enough at the plate or in the field to warrant an increase in playing time. More at bats for The Choice will not increase this team's chances of winning.

-Ravi Meibalane

VeeckAsInWreck
08-24-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Batting Avg. With 0-0 Count (Revised):

Highest: .393 (11-28) Mark Johnson

Batting Avg. With 3-2 Count:

Highest: .400 (8-20) Royce Clayton

Lowest: .000 (0-9) Jeff Liefer

Thanks for the stats!, RK. With that in mind we should have Mark Johnson swing away on the first pitch all the time. Because when he is "selective" at the plate he is pretty close to being Ted Williams!