PDA

View Full Version : Sox pitchers

balboner
08-23-2002, 08:37 PM
It is so painfully obvious watching Sox pitchers that there needs to be changes made to their coaching. Every single pitcher is fastball/curve/change. This is one of the reasons that Sox dont strike out many hitters, and give up a ton of hits. Youngsters like Garland and Wright just dont have "it".

Daver
08-23-2002, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by balboner
It is so painfully obvious watching Sox pitchers that there needs to be changes made to their coaching. Every single pitcher is fastball/curve/change. This is one of the reasons that Sox dont strike out many hitters, and give up a ton of hits. Youngsters like Garland and Wright just dont have "it".

Give Don Cooper a little time,you cannot erase two years worth of rotten coaching in a month.

RKMeibalane
08-23-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by balboner

Garland has "it." He's put together some impressive performances this season against tough teams (i.e. New York, Boston). What he lacks is experience. He tends to rely on only one or two pitches when he gets into trouble, and that's when he gets hurt.

As for Wright, he too has shown flashes of being a good pitcher, but he has so much trouble avoiding the "big inning." He may pitch well for three innings, but the fourth will end up being a disaster.

I think it will take some time for Cooper to develop these pitchers. They first must unlearn what Cooper's predecesor taught them.

:nardi

"I appeared in eight games as a Major Leaguer. Therefore, I am more than qualified to instruct young pitchers. I have an impressive track record of torn labrums and ruined careers to prove it."

Jerry_Manuel
08-23-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
As for Wright, he too has shown flashes of being a good pitcher, but he has so much trouble avoiding the "big inning." He may pitch well for three innings, but the fourth will end up being a disaster.

Wright reminds me of Kerry Wood, minus the strike outs. Both can look real good at times, and at other times they get wild and bad.

34 Inch Stick
08-24-2002, 01:02 PM
Minus the strikeouts and plus about 2 runs a game. Kerry Wood would be the second best pitcher on this team right now. Dan Wright is having just as bad a season as Todd Ritchie.

BuehrleACE56
08-24-2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Dan Wright is having just as bad a season as Todd Ritchie.

whoa whoa whoa there. i don't think danny is doing as poorly overall as Todd was. I mean Danny has at least throw a few quality starts and managed to rack up 8 wins. he was around .500 like 8-7, 8-8 type deal for a while. only lately has he done poorly with like two bad losses in a row. I agree he hasn't been brilliant, but give the kid a little more of a chance before you compare his season to "the veteran prescence."

RKMeibalane
08-24-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Wright reminds me of Kerry Wood, minus the strike outs. Both can look real good at times, and at other times they get wild and bad.

There are a lot of similarities between them. Having said that, I don't expect Wright to strike out twenty anytime soon.

SOXSINCE'70
08-24-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by daver

Give Don Cooper a little time,you cannot erase two years worth of rotten coaching in a month.

I agree,but wasn't Nardi the "not so" Magnificent here 4 years??
I shoulda seen this one coming in the second half of 2000.

:firejerry NOW!!

:sellreinsy

Soxheads
08-24-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by SOXSINCE'70

I agree,but wasn't Nardi the "not so" Magnificent here 4 years??
I shoulda seen this one coming in the second half of 2000.

:firejerry NOW!!

:sellreinsy

Any amount of time with Nardi is too much for me.