PDA

View Full Version : Work stoppage solution

34rancher
08-22-2002, 11:43 PM
Hey , this is REAL simple. The only two numbers that need to matter is the League minimum for an individual, and A LEAGUE MAXIMUM PER PLAYER . What I mean is tell the players, that each of you will make at least $300,000. But the most an individual can make is $3,000,000. Problem solved.

Oh, and for you capitalists that say let the market dictate......THERE IS NO MARKET!!! Baseball has anti-trust, remember? For those of you who say that you can't cap a profession, call your local teacher, policeman, fireman, or military personel and ask them about their bonuses and unlimited ceilings on salarys.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-23-2002, 12:17 AM
A lot of people are upset over how much players make nowadays, which I understand. However, think about this, if 30,000 people came to see you do your job. wouldn't you want to make more? After all, wouldn't your boss would be charging these people to watch you?
What I just said doesn't justify their salaries but it is something to think about. But, In the end it is just a bunch of rich people squabbling over billions. :(:

oldcomiskey
08-23-2002, 03:29 PM
what gets me is this folks----Everybody knows how much the players make--but nobody knows how much the owners make--how many of go to Comiskey or watch a game on TV and watch what JR does? Hopefully none of you

voodoochile
08-23-2002, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by 34rancher
Hey , this is REAL simple. The only two numbers that need to matter is the League minimum for an individual, and A LEAGUE MAXIMUM PER PLAYER . What I mean is tell the players, that each of you will make at least $300,000. But the most an individual can make is $3,000,000. Problem solved.

Oh, and for you capitalists that say let the market dictate......THERE IS NO MARKET!!! Baseball has anti-trust, remember? For those of you who say that you can't cap a profession, call your local teacher, policeman, fireman, or military personel and ask them about their bonuses and unlimited ceilings on salarys.

Well, the only problem is that there is a market for tickets, food, drinks and parking, and as you pointed out, it is a sellers market due to the anti-trust exemption. So, in the end all you would be doing is lining the pockets of the already rich owners. After all, they wouldn't actually lower prices because the players were taking a financial hit. Nope, they'd just pocket all that nice tasty loot and laugh all the way to the bank.

Also, the owners could only make this change if the courts allowed them to. They are goverened by the rules that govern any organized labor situation. They would have to prove to the courts that the players were being unreasonable in their demands and unwilling to work with the owners to achieve financial stability for the good of all involved.

In the end, baseball would lose even more talent as the best athletes at the HS levels would concentrate on other sports and all they guys who can run fast and jump high wouldn't be trying to hit curve balls for a living, they would be trying to dunk basketballs or catch deep passes. Guys like Frank Thomas would never happen again. They would simply concentrate on becoming a better TE and try to make it in the NFL or try to become a power forward in the NBA. Heck, they might even put on a pair of skates and try to become a defender in the NHL. The talent level would drop appreciably until someone came along and started a rival league with less constraints on salaries.

Still, I wouldn't mind seeing a ceiling on individual salaries, but $3M is just way too low in today's market...

ma-gaga
08-23-2002, 09:08 PM
can they limit the salary of the owners?