PDA

View Full Version : Rowand starting to impress

Foulke You
08-22-2002, 06:24 PM
I have to admit I've been pretty darn impressed with Rowand's play of late. He plays with a lot of hustle and intensity and seems to be coming around offensively now that he's playing every day and at the top of the lineup. He's making really solid contact too. Lots of line drive doubles and singles. It makes me wonder if we should have stuck with him from day 1 this year. (there goes my hindsight again...) I'm still not so sure he is the leadoff man we need though. I think Harris is your prototype leadoff man assuming he gets used to MLB pitching.

Perhaps Borchard will be getting 1 more year of seasoning in AAA before taking that CF role because of Rowand's improved play? Or perhaps C-Lee moves on and Aaron moves into LF. From what I read of Borchard, he has a cannon of an arm in CF and plays really solidly there. Rowand, Borchard, and Ordonez in the outfield would shore up our outfield defense pretty good. Any thoughts?

:rowand
No K-LO? Don't worry, A-RO is here!

Chisox_cali
08-22-2002, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I have to admit I've been pretty darn impressed with Rowand's play of late. He plays with a lot of hustle and intensity and seems to be coming around offensively now that he's playing every day and at the top of the lineup. He's making really solid contact too. Lots of line drive doubles and singles. It makes me wonder if we should have stuck with him from day 1 this year. (there goes my hindsight again...) I'm still not so sure he is the leadoff man we need though. I think Harris is your prototype leadoff man assuming he gets used to MLB pitching.

Perhaps Borchard will be getting 1 more year of seasoning in AAA before taking that CF role because of Rowand's improved play? Or perhaps C-Lee moves on and Aaron moves into LF. From what I read of Borchard, he has a cannon of an arm in CF and plays really solidly there. Rowand, Borchard, and Ordonez in the outfield would shore up our outfield defense pretty good. Any thoughts?

:rowand
No K-LO? Don't worry, A-RO is here!

Oh man now this is gonna turn into a big ole fight about how Aaron Sucks, or that he's good. Thanks Alot! :smile:

Daver
08-22-2002, 06:28 PM
. Rowand, Borchard, and Ordonez in the outfield would shore up our outfield defense pretty good. Any thoughts?

He makes a great 4th outfeilder on a non-contending team.......

Foulke You
08-22-2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by daver

He makes a great 4th outfeilder on a non-contending team.......

You could very well be right but I'd take more of a wait and see approach on a young player like Rowand. It's hard to make a certain prediction about a young player who hasn't had tons of playing time. You can't make a definite decision about any young player until you've seen him play every day for an extended period of time. The same can be said about Liefer, Crede, or Harris.

Daver
08-22-2002, 07:05 PM

You could very well be right but I'd take more of a wait and see approach on a young player like Rowand. It's hard to make a certain prediction about a young player who hasn't had tons of playing time. You can't make a definite decision about any young player until you've seen him play every day for an extended period of time. The same can be said about Liefer, Crede, or Harris.

I say that based on his numbers from college and throughout his minor league career,he is a hustle outfeilder with limited plate skills that K's a lot,I don't see that changing at the MLB level,Randar can give you the chapter and verse though.

Randar68
08-22-2002, 07:05 PM

Liefer and Rowand are not "young" players. That is the difference.

RKMeibalane
08-22-2002, 07:10 PM

Of those four players (Crede, Rowand, Harris, and Liefer), Jeff Liefer is one who will most likely be moved. After his hissy-fit before the All Star Break, I am convinced he will be gone after the season. There's no sense in keeping someone around who doesn't want to be with the Sox. Liefer made it clear he was unhappy with his playing time, in spite of the fact that he hasn't done a damn thing all year.

As far as Rowand is concerned, I too am happy with his play of late. He seems to be more confident at the plate, and his defense is also getting better. Perhaps playing one position instead of two (LF) has enabled him to focus better.

:jerry

"What's that? Aaron can play
two positions? Hmmm... maybe I'll try him in left, Harris in center, and Carlos Lee at third, since he used to play there in the minors."

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

RedPinStripes
08-22-2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

Oh man now this is gonna turn into a big ole fight about how Aaron Sucks, or that he's good. Thanks Alot! :smile:

Here we go again. Anotehr Rowand\Lee thread coming soon.

Chisox_cali
08-22-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Liefer and Rowand are not "young" players. That is the difference.

Are you talking about age or experience when you say "young"? If your talking age, Liefer I understand he's 28, but since when is 24 old?

MarkEdward
08-22-2002, 08:29 PM
Rowand can make an adequate 5th outfielder in that he's young, and can play all the outfield positions. Rowand's not really worth re-signing, as there are plenty of players like him who are cheaper and can put up a better OBP. Future starting center fielder? No way.

34 Inch Stick
08-23-2002, 09:33 AM
You have to keep him on the team but not as a starter. Even if someone else emerges in spring training, the Rockies were hot to have Rowand in a trade.

Foulke You
08-23-2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
You have to keep him on the team but not as a starter. Even if someone else emerges in spring training, the Rockies were hot to have Rowand in a trade.

Any word on what they were offering for him? Knowing KW he would trade Rowand for 3 boxes of cracker jack and some sunflower seeds to be named later.

oldcomiskey
08-23-2002, 03:56 PM
I do like Leifer--although he reminds me of Dan Pasqua---shudders---now theres an old love turned memory for ya----but Aaron just flat out hustles in the same way that John Cangelosi did--shudders again

hold2dibber
08-23-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Rowand can make an adequate 5th outfielder in that he's young, and can play all the outfield positions. Rowand's not really worth re-signing, as there are plenty of players like him who are cheaper and can put up a better OBP. Future starting center fielder? No way.

There's no way that Rowand is making much more than the major league minimum. He is, I believe, still at the stage where the Sox get to pick his salary. And he is certainly not free agency eligible yet.

hold2dibber
08-23-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by daver

I say that based on his numbers from college and throughout his minor league career,he is a hustle outfeilder with limited plate skills that K's a lot,I don't see that changing at the MLB level,Randar can give you the chapter and verse though.

I agree, but point out that it is not unheard of that a guy can learn some plate discipline at the MLB level - Shea Hilldebrand (sp?) is the example that comes immediately to mind (I know he's not going to make anyone forget Ricky Henderson, but he has an OBP in the .340 range which isn't too bad). So it's not impossible - but it is unlikely. My fear is that Rowand will play well enough for the remainder of this season for the Sox to think he is a viable starting CF so they'll use him to start the year next season, and he'll be hitting .237 with a .274 OBP at the All-Star break next year.

MarkEdward
08-23-2002, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

There's no way that Rowand is making much more than the major league minimum. He is, I believe, still at the stage where the Sox get to pick his salary. And he is certainly not free agency eligible yet.

Oh I completely understand that. I just don't think he's a long term solution.