PDA

View Full Version : 5 Reason why there will not be a strike

Jerry_Manuel
08-22-2002, 05:17 PM
From Tim Kurkjian (http://espn.go.com/magazine/kurkjian_20020822.html).

I'm really starting to hate this guy.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-22-2002, 05:39 PM
Commissioner Bud Selig's place in history is on the line in this negotiation.

Bud has no place in baseball history right now. Only perhaps as the worst commish ever. C'mon the guy owns a team! How much proof do you need to know that the guy is just a patsy for the owners.

If it is settled without a work stoppage, he will not be viewed as a hero
Hero is not the word that is associated with Bud

people will focus more on the many good things he has done: interleague play, the wild card, revenue sharing

The "good things" he did were other peoples ideas! Bill Veeck had been proposing Interleague play back in the 50's and he was constantly shot down. The other "good things" he did were for the owners. Let's not forget that our "hero" Bud was commish when the World Series was wiped out in 1994.

Cheryl
08-22-2002, 05:53 PM
Neither interleague play nor the wild card are good things.

Daver
08-22-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

They are both good for one thing Cheryl,raising revenue.

Despite the fact that the 1922 antitrust exemption classifes MLB as a sport,it is quite obvious it is a business.

FarmerAndy
08-22-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck

The "good things" he did were other peoples ideas! Bill Veeck had been proposing Interleague play back in the 50's and he was constantly shot down.

Your right.

It also makes my skin crawl when they consider interleague play a good thing, but that's a whole different soap opera.

MarkEdward
08-22-2002, 06:34 PM
Maybe we should attempt to come up with a list of some good things Selig has done. Anyone have one? Um...?

Foulke You
08-22-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

The only thing interleague play is good for:

White Sox vs. Cubs
Yankees vs. Mets
Giants vs. A's

The rest of it is uninteresting. However, figures show that attendance for interleague games is something like 15-20% higher then for regular games so it's here to stay.

The Wild Card and 3 division play I am undecided on. In some respects I miss the old format but with 4 playoff teams in each league it makes the pennant chases more interesting and keeps teams in the race longer. The one going on in the AL West right now is a doozy. I think it helps make the season more interesting while still being special to make the post season unlike hockey or basketball where every team makes it.

Foulke You
08-22-2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Maybe we should attempt to come up with a list of some good things Selig has done. Anyone have one? Um...?

He was quite the used car salesman!! :D: