PDA

View Full Version : Sox Top 5 prospects


Chisox_cali
08-21-2002, 11:13 PM
according to cs.com


Joe Borchard

OF, Triple-A Charlotte

Has yet to show consistency at plate, but should be ready by mid-2003.

Kris Honel

RHP, Class A Kannapolis

Top draft pick projected for 2004 rotation.

Aaron Miles

2B, Double-A Birmingham

5-8 second baseman leads Southern League in hits (153) and doubles (34).

Miguel Olivo

C, Double-A Birmingham

Hitting .306 and has a league-leading eight triples.

Jon Rauch

RHP, Triple-A Charlotte

Struggled in his first year after labrum surgery

with a 6-7 record and 4.44 ERA.

Since when was Aaron Miles a Top prospect? I've never even heard of him, So I decided to look him up in a Forum Search and this is what our own kermie said about him:

I mentioned him in one of the recent farm reports. He's not much of a prospect, too old. Hasn't really hit before. No threat to Hummel or Harris.

I think I beleive Kermie a little bit more than the Cubune

HawkDJ
08-21-2002, 11:28 PM
How much longer until Olvio gets promoted to AAA or the bigs??? What do tehy want from him?

doublem23
08-21-2002, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
How much longer until Olvio gets promoted to AAA or the bigs??? What do tehy want from him?

Why rush him?

On a side note, do you realize that (at least, according to minorleaguebaseball.com's player search, the Sox have the only three players in the minors with the last name Olivo?)

Weird and wild stuff.

Daver
08-21-2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
How much longer until Olvio gets promoted to AAA or the bigs??? What do tehy want from him?

They want him to become a good game calling catcher,which he is not right now,and his progress to AAA has been blocked from the fact that the Knights have had three catchers on their roster for most of the season.

idseer
08-21-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by doublem23


Why rush him?




i can think of one reason.

THE SOX HAVE NO CATCHING!

altho, in spirit, i agree with you. i don't like rushing kids. especially pitchers.

TornLabrum
08-21-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by doublem23


Why rush him?

On a side note, do you realize that (at least, according to minorleaguebaseball.com's player search, the Sox have the only three players in the minors with the last name Olivo?)

Weird and wild stuff.

Hmmm...And since the most common first name in the system seems to be Jon, that would mean that the most common name in the Sox organization is Jon Olivo.

(Stolen from Wally Phillips who once noted that since the most common first name in the world is Muhammed, and the most common last name in the world in Wong, the most common name in the world must be Muhammed Wong. Wally was occasionally funny back in the day.)

Jerry_Manuel
08-21-2002, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Since when was Aaron Miles a Top prospect? I've never even heard of him.

Well, the Sox don't have a ton of guys kicking ass in the minors like they have in the past. I didn't look at the article in question, but, my guess would be that one Phil "Owners Buddy" Rogers made it.

As for Miles, he's really tiny. I remember seeing him in the ST games. Looked like a little kid at the plate. Maybe he can be a bench player for the Sox. Of course if JM is still managing when he gets here, he'll be starting every 2.3 days.

Randar68
08-22-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
How much longer until Olvio gets promoted to AAA or the bigs??? What do tehy want from him?

Well, Miles is an absolute non-prospect. He never takes a walk, and he is extremely limited defensively.

As for Olivo, he is not very disciplined. He will try to make plays he has no chance at and pays for it. He also must be one of the league leaders in PB's. He has a ton of raw talent, but he still needs to learn the subtleties of the position.

Daver
08-22-2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Randar68


Well, Miles is an absolute non-prospect. He never takes a walk, and he is extremely limited defensively.

As for Olivo, he is not very disciplined. He will try to make plays he has no chance at and pays for it. He also must be one of the league leaders in PB's. He has a ton of raw talent, but he still needs to learn the subtleties of the position.

Why do I have the sickening feeling that someone is going to bring up the name Lee Evans next?

Randar68
08-22-2002, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by daver


Why do I have the sickening feeling that someone is going to bring up the name Lee Evans next?


LMAO!

They need to just drop Mark D, and Lee Evans is barely a AAA player at this point. He's been used a lot at 1B lately.

RedPinStripes
08-22-2002, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by daver


Why do I have the sickening feeling that someone is going to bring up the name Lee Evans next?


I think of him as Mansoo Lee's replacement when his Visa comes up. :D: