PDA

View Full Version : Sportscenter's top 10 showboaters in baseball ever

HawkDJ
08-21-2002, 06:07 PM
IF anyone saw this, Sportscenter did a top 10 list of the biggest hot dogs in baseball history. Guess who wasn't there? Sosa of course. I mean I don't know if they watch Sosa play or anything but I seem to remember him doing a little hop thing after home runs or sometimes even after flyballs to center that he thinks are home runs and then does his little stutter steps around the bases and goes into the dugout and pounds his chest and pours water on his face. ESPN: I know Sosa is one of the most famous players in baseball but get a clue.

WhiteSox = Life
08-21-2002, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
IF anyone saw this, Sportscenter did a top 10 list of the biggest hot dogs in baseball history. Guess who wasn't there? Sosa of course. I mean I don't know if they watch Sosa play or anything but I seem to remember him doing a little hop thing after home runs or sometimes even after flyballs to center that he thinks are home runs and then does his little stutter steps around the bases and goes into the dugout and pounds his chest and pours water on his face. ESPN: I know Sosa is one of the most famous players in baseball but get a clue.

You beat me to it. I was going to post something on this also, because I couldn't believe the naivete ESPN displayed not putting Sosa on the list. I would put him number 1, even in front of Reggie Jackson, Barry Bonds, and Rickey Henderson for a few reasons.

1. Reggie Jackson showed that he could back up his showboating by hitting the homeruns when they counted and showed he would do what it took to win, although he did strike out A LOT!

2. Barry Bonds is arguably the greatest active player and while he did act arrogantly, he has, as SC put it, "mellowed out" a little.

3. Rickey Henderson is a close call. Though the guy is one of the cockiest players ever, he can honestly back it up. The guy has 3,000 hits and the MLB record for runs scored. Not only that, he holds the record for most regular season SB's and all-time SB's. Being ahead of speedsters like Lou Brock and Ty Cobb and Billy Hamilton, that's enough to support most of his claims, even if he did say "I'm the greatest" in front of Lou Brock.

Meanwhile, Sosa, he runs out to RF to start the game, and does his stupid little wave to the crowd. Whenever he THINKS he has a hold of one, he does his "bunny-hop" and waves his arms high in the air and jogs to first. When the ball doesn't go out, those are hilarious moments, BTW. And, if his hop weren't enough he stutter-steps 4 feet in front of all the bases. Then, when the Sosaholics want more of Sosa after he has done his "thumping", he comes out to acknowledge them, every freakin' time! Did Ted Williams come for a call after every meaningless HR? No way. How many HOF'ers ever gave curtain calls when they didn't matter. Sosa even came out in Coors Field for a call, since most of the fans there were Cubs fans, experiencing a different Rocky Mountain High, if you get my drift.

With Fernando Frias of the Harlem little league doing all of that, and thousands of unknowing kids emulating Sosa around the world, don't you think his showboating has reached high enough to put him in the top place amongst the upper echelon of hot-doggers?

The saddest thing about SportsCenter's list is that they mentioned Sosa as the example before they even started the list!

Man, oh, man. And they say love is blind, huh? Well, I guess that's what steroids does to you.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-21-2002, 06:29 PM
But Sammy is such a big ambassador of the game!

:barney&sham
"If befriending a purple imaginary dinosaur is showboating, then I am guilty as charged."

WhiteSox = Life
08-21-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
But Sammy is such a big ambassador of the game!

:barney&sham
"If befriending a purple imaginary dinosaur is showboating, then I am guilty as charged."

You forgot to bold the 4th-6th letters of the 7th word! :D:

VeeckAsInWreck
08-21-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life

You forgot to bold the 4th-6th letters of the 7th word! :D:

Thanks, you get credited with an assist! :D:

CuckTheFubs
08-21-2002, 07:57 PM
Guess they didn't take this SamME type of stuff in to account.

Friday, August 16

Wrigley Field: In Geek heaven
By Anna Sivadasan
ESPN.com

Editor's note: ESPN.com assistant editor Anna Sivadasan went on a two-week tour of major-league ballparks. She filed reports from six different parks during her trip.

Aug. 15

Click here to read the article in full. (http://espn.go.com/mlb/s/2002/0816/1418746.html)

A Team Game

Part of the reason bleacher fans love Sammy Sosa is because of how well he interacts with them before, after -- and yes -- during the game. Brian and I witnessed the right fielder looking back in the stands smiling, gesturing and talking with the bleacher bums on seemingly every at-bat in each game. But even Sammy deserves some heat for the following incident.

On Wednesday, Cubs second baseman Mark Bellhorn misplayed a routine ground ball that allowed Lance Berkman to reach base. Sosa turned to the bleacher section and playfully mimicked Bellhorn's error. Sosa's act prompted a nearby fan to yell the only witticism from a non-Bleacher Geek all series: "Sammy, you're a great team player."

Actually this is probably not hotdog behavior but just SamME being a bunghole.

WhiteSox = Life
08-21-2002, 11:51 PM

Thanks, you get credited with an assist! :D:

All right! My first assist. I'm glad we reached an asseveration. :D:

WhiteSox = Life
08-21-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by CuckTheFubs

Actually this is probably not hotdog behavior but just SamME being a bunghole. [/B]

"A little from 'Column A', a little from 'Column B'!"

I think it was Sham-Me just trying to show that he could've made that play with relative ease.

Sham-Me also showed how good he is defensively in tonight's game, just to prove to Bellhorn that he can definitely flash some leather... as a baseball goes flying past it.

34 Inch Stick
08-22-2002, 01:27 PM
One thing not mentioned that always gets me is his tapping on the opposing catcher with his bat before his first at bat. I'm suprised someone hasn't taken that bat and crammed it up his butt.

Iguana775
08-22-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
Did Ted Williams come for a call after every meaningless HR? No way.

i remember reading that he got booed one time and vowed to never do a curtain call and he didnt.

Iguana775
08-22-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
One thing not mentioned that always gets me is his tapping on the opposing catcher with his bat before his first at bat. I'm suprised someone hasn't taken that bat and crammed it up his butt.

he seriously does that?? what a jackass.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-22-2002, 04:49 PM
I seriously hope that a pitcher drills Sammy and after the game in an interview he says "The pitch slipped, Sammy should have hopped out of the way"

Foulke You
08-22-2002, 07:11 PM
I seriously hope that a pitcher drills Sammy and after the game in an interview he says "The pitch slipped, Sammy should have hopped out of the way"

In a different era in baseball that is exactly what would've happened.

Another example of all media outlets (except WSI of course) licking the proverbial ass of Sammy: On the Dan Patrick radio show they were talking about the whole little league showboating thing and comparing to MLB players who hot dog. Dibble brought up Sosa's homer routine and Dan Patrick immediately rushed to Sammy's defense by saying "well, when you hit 50+ homers a year you should be allowed a little hot dogging like Sammy does" Let me translate:

I love Sammy so much that any and everything he does is OK. How can I possibly be critical of someone who saved baseball?

It took a fiery pitcher like Dibble to point out the obviousness of Sammy's showboating act and gutless Dan Patrick gave a pathetic excuse and didn't have the guts to criticize one of the great ambASSadors of the game.

RKMeibalane
08-22-2002, 07:54 PM
It sickens me to think of the large number of double-standards that exist in professional sports today. If Frank Thomas ever does anything like that, I'm sure every media outlet in the country will criticize him.

(Note: Thomas would never do something like that.)

Sosa gets away with more garbage just because he and McGwire broke Roger Maris' record. I don't understand it. Most of the homeruns Sosa hits are meaningless. What does it matter if a ball travels five hundred feet if the Cubs are behind 8-1? Good grief! Just once, I would like to see Sammy hit a homer and run the bases normally.

Wait! I have a better chance of sleeping with Heidi Klum than I do of seeing Sosa behave.

34rancher
08-22-2002, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
What does it matter if a ball travels five hundred feet if the Cubs are behind 8-1? Good grief! Just once, I would like to see Sammy hit a homer and run the bases normally.

Wait! I have a better chance of sleeping with Heidi Klum than I do of seeing Sosa behave.

My question is how many home runs has he hit in his career that fit the following?
1. Into the basket (which really should not be a home run since it does not clear the wall)
2. At Coors Field (shood any count there?)
3. At Houston
4. Against the pathetic Milwaukee Brewers

If you sleep with Heidi, can I watch?

ma-gaga
08-23-2002, 09:32 AM
yeah but...

Every HR king is going to hit a couple of gimmie shots a year. It happens. There will always be bad pitching for good hitters to take advantage of. Thomas/Konerko/Maggs gets to tee off on KC and Detroits 'pitching' staff. Even the Twins give up a decent number of HR's.

I'm just saying that everyone has a double standard on "judging" HR's. A-Rod will hit 40+ HR's this year. Really helped out his team. I'd love to have him on my team any year. ...

34rancher
08-23-2002, 11:39 AM
My point though is that to my knowledge, Wrigley is the only place where a home run does not have to clear the wall to be a home run. It should just be a long double. That basket has given Sosa at least 40 home runs that he should not have.

RKMeibalane
08-23-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by 34rancher
If you sleep with Heidi, can I watch?

I'll get back to you on that. :D:

As far as Sosa is concerned, I do agree that many of his homeruns are the result of him playing eighty one games a year at Wrigley Field.

By comparison, Comiskey has never been what most would consider a "hitter's park." Even though they've moved in the fences, I have yet to see Thomas, Ordonez, or Konerko hit fifty homeruns. Frank's career high is forty three, which he hit in 2000. I wonder how many he would hit if he played at Wrigley- assuming he has a more typical Frank-Thomas-type season.