PDA

View Full Version : Ken "The Hawk" Harrelson Speaks

#1swisher
07-02-2015, 12:18 PM
In an appearance on Buster Olney’s ESPN podcast (http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=13186616), Harrelson explained where some of his memorable catchphrases originated.

David Just ‏@davidjustCST (https://twitter.com/davidjustCST) 27m (https://twitter.com/davidjustCST/status/616649091271933952)
Hawk explains how he came up with the catchphrases "He gone" and "You can put it on the board"
http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/7/71/740093/hawk-harrelsons-catchphrases-come … (http://t.co/ayAioNBd2E)

Lip Man 1
07-02-2015, 01:44 PM
Was just watching a game this morning from late July 83 against the Yankees and back then Hawk was really very good. He hadn't gotten into using catch phrases all the time, knew his role as basically the #2 guy to Drysdale and had good chemistry with him.

That really was a good pair of broadcasters.

Lip

Irishsox1
07-02-2015, 02:34 PM
As a subsciber to the MLB package, Hawk is one of my favorites. A lot of them are dry and dull. The Yankees & Mets announcers are putrid or too dry.

SI1020
07-02-2015, 02:37 PM
As a subsciber to the MLB package, Hawk is one of my favorites. A lot of them are dry and dull. The Yankees & Mets announcers are putrid or too dry. I have it too. I haven't watched and listened to everybody but so far only the great Vin Scully does it for me. The Pirates team isn't too bad. Overall lots of dull droning monotony.

Brian26
07-02-2015, 06:58 PM
Drysdale was great. Coming is as a non-White Sox guy, he seemed to warm up to the team quickly.

Noneck
07-02-2015, 07:33 PM
Because of the ontv fiasco, many didnt hear drysdale or harrelson much. I was one of those.

XplodingScorbord
07-02-2015, 07:37 PM
Hawk generally gets run down a lot in these parts, but dadgummit, I like him and enjoy his work.

soxfanreggie
07-02-2015, 08:07 PM
Hawk generally gets run down a lot in these parts, but dadgummit, I like him and enjoy his work.

He's definitely passionate and has a good voice IMO, but it's all about having a good pair for me. He doesn't play well with others, and some of the rants get annoying.

ChiSoxNationPres
07-02-2015, 09:11 PM
I have it too. I haven't watched and listened to everybody but so far only the great Vin Scully does it for me. The Pirates team isn't too bad. Overall lots of dull droning monotony.

I think the Dbacks, Orioles and Jays are the best of what I've seen (Scully also obviously). A lot of boring ones out there. Its careful what you wish for, those who don't want Hawk anymore.

Lip Man 1
07-02-2015, 09:32 PM
The Orioles long time TV announcer is Gary Thorne who ironically did Sox TV in 1989.

He and Jim Palmer are a very good team.

Lip

ricker182
07-02-2015, 10:06 PM
Just about every MLB commentator sucks.
Hawk is actually enjoyable most of the time.
Vin Scully brings back the "golden age" of baseball and is very enjoyable.
Everyone else I've heard is just really dry or really cheesy.

Marqhead
07-02-2015, 10:32 PM

Hawk would be fine if he would lose the catchphrases. Or at least use them less often. He's a sound board and way too predicable, really drags down the better parts of his broadcasting.

kittle42
07-02-2015, 10:37 PM
The Orioles long time TV announcer is Gary Thorne who ironically did Sox TV in 1989.

How is that ironic?

Lip Man 1
07-02-2015, 11:15 PM
How is that ironic?

It's ironic in that a poster complimented him as being one of the better ones in baseball in this thread yet he is usually regarding by many Sox fans as boring as the rest.

Personally I always thought he was pretty good and certainly would have been an improvement over Hawk the last eight years or so.

Don't know why he left after a year, if it was by his choice or what.

Lip

AnkleSox
07-02-2015, 11:16 PM
How is that ironic?

I would say it's similar to rain on your wedding day.

ricker182
07-02-2015, 11:39 PM
Hawk would be fine if he would lose the catchphrases. Or at least use them less often. He's a sound board and way too predicable, really drags down the better parts of his broadcasting.

As a Sox fan I love the catchphrases.

It's Hawk.

I think people are really going to miss him when he's gone.

I love his catchphrases. I love his homerism. I love his commentating.

He feels like home.

kittle42
07-02-2015, 11:57 PM
It's ironic in that a poster complimented him as being one of the better ones in baseball in this thread yet he is usually regarding by many Sox fans as boring as the rest.

That's not irony. :cool:

DSpivack
07-03-2015, 12:09 AM
I think the Dbacks, Orioles and Jays are the best of what I've seen (Scully also obviously). A lot of boring ones out there. Its careful what you wish for, those who don't want Hawk anymore.
I'll have to check back in and see what the DBacks announcers are like. I remember watching one game a few years ago, I don't remember who the announcing team was, besides Mark Grace. But that was probably the worst, most obnoxious, and least professional announcers I have ever heard.

Thorne is fine to me. I've always also liked Jon Miller. Scully is of course unparalleled.

KingXerxes
07-03-2015, 07:29 AM

Count me as one who will not miss him.

Dan H
07-03-2015, 08:14 AM
Hawk has turned into a whiner and excuse maker.

ChiSoxNationPres
07-03-2015, 08:43 AM
I'll have to check back in and see what the DBacks announcers are like. I remember watching one game a few years ago, I don't remember who the announcing team was, besides Mark Grace. But that was probably the worst, most obnoxious, and least professional announcers I have ever heard.

Thorne is fine to me. I've always also liked Jon Miller. Scully is of course unparalleled.

Their play by play guy his Steve Berthiaume (former ESPN anchor) who is a funny guy and gets baseball. Brenley is the color guy and actually works well with him, though I wasn't a fan of his with the cubs. Not sure if they are unprofessional or not, but beats the hell out of boring.

happydude
07-03-2015, 10:07 AM
As a Sox fan I love the catchphrases.

It's Hawk.

I love his catchphrases. I love his homerism. I love his commentating.

He feels like home.

I'm sure I will. I think the criticism is largely valid; the man has a huge ego, complains and whines incessantly, makes himself the center of attention far too often, etc. All that said, enthusiasm can make up for deficiencies in practically any job and his is one of them.

We may not always enjoy his personality but at least he HAS personality; he makes you feel SOMETHING even while watching a sport that, in all honesty, is often devoid of real passion from a viewing perspective.

All that ass kissing of the Twins and "Gardy" really rubbed me the wrong way, though; I'm not gonna let that go for a while. Lol.

Marqhead
07-03-2015, 01:21 PM
I'm sure I will. I think the criticism is largely valid; the man has a huge ego, complains and whines incessantly, makes himself the center of attention far too often, etc. All that said, enthusiasm can make up for deficiencies in practically any job and his is one of them.

We may not always enjoy his personality but at least he HAS personality; he makes you feel SOMETHING even while watching a sport that, in all honesty, is often devoid of real passion from a viewing perspective.

All that ass kissing of the Twins and "Gardy" really rubbed me the wrong way, though; I'm not gonna let that go for a while. Lol.

Completely agree. More examples of how the awful parts of his announcing style bring down the good parts. It's the Sox against the world in each and every broadcast and the whining gets super annoying real fast.

Marqhead
07-03-2015, 01:22 PM
I will miss him when he's gone, but I'm looking forward to a different style of broadcasting. Same energy but more professionalism.

Steelrod
07-03-2015, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE=ricker182;3191014]As a Sox fan I love the catchphrases.

It's Hawk.

I can't wait.
It's almost as if he thinks he's the show, not the team!

KingXerxes
07-03-2015, 04:53 PM
I may not always enjoy his personality but at least he HAS personality; he makes you feel SOMETHING even while watching a sport that, in all honesty, is often devoid of real passion from a viewing perspective.

I must respectfully disagree with you on this one happydude.

I can't speak for all, but I view a baseball game with more than a slight amount of passion (just ask my wife). In a tied game or a close game every single pitch matters, and in situations like that I'm on the edge of my seat. I know some people like Harrelson and others do not - for me I find all the blathering ("You know Stoney - Duane Josephson moved his feet better than any catcher I've ever seen.") and faux knowledge ("It's a whole different situation when the count is 2-0 rather than 0-2.") annoying. I saw Duane Josephson play - he stunk, and he must think me a moron if he has to explain the difference in mindset on 0-2 versus 2-0.

I want somebody to complement a game I'm watching, because, to me, the game is the story. Harrelson, night in and night out, tries mercilessly to make himself the reason people watch, and I just can't take it.

Additional Note - After writing this, I looked up Duane Josephson's lifetime stats, and I just want to be fair. He did make an all star team in 1968 - which I had completely forgotten. While he wasn't Johnny Bench, me saying he stunk is an unfair comment. Let's leave it at "he was a very average catcher".

SI1020
07-03-2015, 05:45 PM
That's not irony. :cool: "A state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result."

SI1020
07-03-2015, 06:03 PM

Thorne is fine to me. I've always also liked Jon Miller. Scully is of course unparalleled. Glad you mentioned Miller. I agree.

SI1020
07-03-2015, 06:07 PM
I would say it's similar to rain on your wedding day. You get points for a good one but you gave me some pain thinking of that song.

happydude
07-05-2015, 12:05 AM
I must respectfully disagree with you on this one happydude.

I can't speak for all, but I view a baseball game with more than a slight amount of passion (just ask my wife). In a tied game or a close game every single pitch matters, and in situations like that I'm on the edge of my seat. I know some people like Harrelson and others do not - for me I find all the blathering ("You know Stoney - Duane Josephson moved his feet better than any catcher I've ever seen.") and faux knowledge ("It's a whole different situation when the count is 2-0 rather than 0-2.") annoying. I saw Duane Josephson play - he stunk, and he must think me a moron if he has to explain the difference in mindset on 0-2 versus 2-0.

I want somebody to complement a game I'm watching, because, to me, the game is the story. Harrelson, night in and night out, tries mercilessly to make himself the reason people watch, and I just can't take it.

Additional Note - After writing this, I looked up Duane Josephson's lifetime stats, and I just want to be fair. He did make an all star team in 1968 - which I had completely forgotten. While he wasn't Johnny Bench, me saying he stunk is an unfair comment. Let's leave it at "he was a very average catcher".

I hear you. I love that you can enjoy the game on that kind of emotional level. At this point, unless something historical is occurring (eg. no hitter), I only feel that kind of excitement during the playoffs but I can see how Hawk's style could impinge on a game you're already invested in; he does seem to make it a point to "stick himself in there" so to speak.

For now, during the regular season grind he kind of keeps me going in enough directions to remain alert. Yes it can be annoying; if we get a bad call against us early or happen to be getting our asses handed to us I know he's going to lean toward a certain level of insufferability so I just turn the sound down.

But I'll take the bad with the good for now; I respect the Vin Scully types but, for me, I want a guy with a little more pep if I'm going to spend three hours listening to him 50 plus games a season.

DSpivack
07-05-2015, 08:42 AM
Their play by play guy his Steve Berthiaume (former ESPN anchor) who is a funny guy and gets baseball. Brenley is the color guy and actually works well with him, though I wasn't a fan of his with the cubs. Not sure if they are unprofessional or not, but beats the hell out of boring.
Oh, their announcers that I hated a few years ago weren't Berthiaume and Brenly, I don't remember who it was, besides the 3rd guy being Grace.

#1swisher
08-05-2015, 12:00 PM
1986 article
Ken Harrelson left broadcasting and took a $100,000 pay cut to become chief of operations.

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-07-20/sports/sp-17128_1_hawk

PatK
08-07-2015, 02:18 PM
Just about every MLB commentator sucks.
Hawk is actually enjoyable most of the time.
Vin Scully brings back the "golden age" of baseball and is very enjoyable.
Everyone else I've heard is just really dry or really cheesy.

I'd have to agree.

I've had XM for 12 years now. Listened to a lot of baseball.

Most of the announcers are awful.

ricker182
08-07-2015, 03:17 PM
I'd have to agree.

I did enjoy the Red Sox TV guys, but that was to be expected since "Here comes the pizza" originated from them.

roylestillman
08-07-2015, 04:18 PM
I did enjoy the Red Sox TV guys, but that was to be expected since "Here comes the pizza" originated from them.

Broadcast Gold

Tragg
08-07-2015, 07:08 PM
Hawk and Farmer need to go. DJ and Stone will probably do well working with some professionals.

cards press box
08-07-2015, 07:25 PM
Hawk and Farmer need to go. DJ and Stone will probably do well working with some professionals.

Farmer has never been good at play-by-play. The radio broadcast has never really recovered from John Rooney's departure after 2005.

I'd have to agree.

Not Dave Wills. He's the radio gem that got away from Sox fans. I wonder if there is any chance that he would come back to replace Farmer or Hawk?

KingXerxes
08-08-2015, 08:50 AM
Farmer has never been good at play-by-play.

I listened to last night's game on the radio while in the car with the Mrs.

She told me to turn it off, because Farmer and Jackson sounded like they were reading "Z copy" (which is the non-stop hyper fast disclosures you hear at the end of car leasing commercials and typically pharmaceutical commercials).

I didn't turn it off, but I have to admit for the first time in 28 years she was right.

Take a breath every once in a while up in the booth guys - you're wearing listeners out by the 2nd inning.

Dan H
08-08-2015, 06:36 PM
I will say this about Harrelson: I don't believe a word he says about anything. He has no credibility at this point. I mute the sound for every game and no fan should have to do that. And I don't want to hear "stretch" one more time.

cards press box
08-08-2015, 06:46 PM
I will say this about Harrelson: I don't believe a word he says about anything. He has no credibility at this point. I mute the sound for every game and no fan should have to do that. And I don't want to hear "stretch" one more time.

Do you listen to Eddie Farmer? I find that I can't do that anymore and, instead, I opt for the opposing team's broadcast.

Maximo
08-08-2015, 07:03 PM
Do you listen to Eddie Farmer? I find that I can't do that anymore and, instead, I opt for the opposing team's broadcast.

When, and if, the Sox ever have to make a highlight CD of a championship season, Ed's "homerun call" will run neck and neck with the "several seconds of silence" from the TV telecasts in the "what puts more goose bumps on the Sox fan?" competition.

Lip Man 1
08-08-2015, 10:14 PM
[QUOTE Not Dave Wills. He's the radio gem that got away from Sox fans. I wonder if there is any chance that he would come back to replace Farmer or Hawk?[/QUOTE]

Never say never, but I'd say the chances of that happening a very remote.

Lip

LTSoxFan
08-10-2015, 09:53 PM
HI everybody:

I've been reading this board for a good long time and I'm shocked to say I don't recall EVER seeing this many Hawk fans/supporters/"we'll miss him when gone" guys. I'm sure he's a wonderful guy, but he's well past his prime, is hurting the team and does not belong on the air any more.

I agree with the posting that "our broadcast team hasn't recovered from the loss of John Rooney in '05" and you know why that is? Because John Rooney was the last broadcaster (experienced professional announcer) on our staff. The thinking that you can just throw an ex-athlete w/ a pulse into a broadcast booth and have "knowledgeable entertainment" is crap.

I know many folks here weren't knocked out by Chuck Swersky's fill-in job for Hawk, but he was a real breath of fresh air to me. He had energy, no long periods of silence and called the game well. Just be someone who might be new to baseball...it's the 7th inning and you hear Hawk say, (15 seconds of silence), then "twenty eight thousand four hundred sixty nine" (then 10 more seconds of silence). What the hell is that??? We know it's the attendance but what about others?

Now I'll drop the real bomb here, as others have alluded to before, I'll say it for the record. You want to hear a world class broadcaster call a baseball game the way it is meant to be called on a consistent basis listen to a guy named Pat Hughes. There I said it. You want proof? Download a little program from the internet called "radio delay." Sync up the radio to the TV broadcast this weekend when we play the Cubs and hear the way things SHOULD sound like on a major market broadcast. I've done this the past 4 years running and was pleasantly surprised at the respect he (Mr. Hughes) shows our team. His preparation is excellent. His call on radio with the TV picture makes for a very entertaining broadcast. Maybe if BBM screws up and lets him go, we could grab him for TV or Radio or both. That would be a HUGE upgrade and boost our audience greatly.

I think the key here is you MUST have one pure broadcaster and then maybe a former player as #2 guy (although that's not mandatory). When John Rooney was around I always listened to his broadcast w/ the TV sound down, now Farmer has deleted that option for me.

I'm ex broadcaster, so my views and expectations may differ from the norm. However, I say again...the Hawk is hurting us more than helping us now. He should do the right thing and step down now.

slavko
08-10-2015, 10:39 PM
HI everybody:

I've been reading this board for a good long time and I'm shocked to say I don't recall EVER seeing this many Hawk fans/supporters/"we'll miss him when gone" guys. I'm sure he's a wonderful guy, but he's well past his prime, is hurting the team and does not belong on the air any more.

I agree with the posting that "our broadcast team hasn't recovered from the loss of John Rooney in '05" and you know why that is? Because John Rooney was the last broadcaster (experienced professional announcer) on our staff. The thinking that you can just throw an ex-athlete w/ a pulse into a broadcast booth and have "knowledgeable entertainment" is crap.

I know many folks here weren't knocked out by Chuck Swersky's fill-in job for Hawk, but he was a real breath of fresh air to me. He had energy, no long periods of silence and called the game well. Just be someone who might be new to baseball...it's the 7th inning and you hear Hawk say, (15 seconds of silence), then "twenty eight thousand four hundred sixty nine" (then 10 more seconds of silence). What the hell is that??? We know it's the attendance but what about others?

Now I'll drop the real bomb here, as others have alluded to before, I'll say it for the record. You want to hear a world class broadcaster call a baseball game the way it is meant to be called on a consistent basis listen to a guy named Pat Hughes. There I said it. You want proof? Download a little program from the internet called "radio delay." Sync up the radio to the TV broadcast this weekend when we play the Cubs and hear the way things SHOULD sound like on a major market broadcast. I've done this the past 4 years running and was pleasantly surprised at the respect he (Mr. Hughes) shows our team. His preparation is excellent. His call on radio with the TV picture makes for a very entertaining broadcast. Maybe if BBM screws up and lets him go, we could grab him for TV or Radio or both. That would be a HUGE upgrade and boost our audience greatly.

I think the key here is you MUST have one pure broadcaster and then maybe a former player as #2 guy (although that's not mandatory). When John Rooney was around I always listened to his broadcast w/ the TV sound down, now Farmer has deleted that option for me.

I'm ex broadcaster, so my views and expectations may differ from the norm. However, I say again...the Hawk is hurting us more than helping us now. He should do the right thing and step down now.

Pat Hughes is among the best I've ever heard. John Rooney (prepare to hate me) was a real pro who couldn't paint a word picture, IMO. Chuck Swirsky knows nothing about baseball and should stick to the Bulls.

Hawk is too much about Hawk and getting past his "Use By" date, but I like the guy and his passion. From the distant Chicago past, Jack Quinlan (Cubs) and Joe McConnell (Sox) were my faves.

KingXerxes
08-11-2015, 06:22 AM
Joe McConnell was a pro.

Maximo
08-11-2015, 08:27 AM
Joe McConnell was a pro.

In my opinion, the best Sox announcer on the radio side of things in all my years as a fan.

Paulwny
08-11-2015, 12:57 PM
For 3 weeks Hawk's new phrase," Kansas City Special" has my ears hurting, he won't let it die. He says it 5 to 6 times a game.
I wish there was a way to mute Hawk but, still listen to Stone.

WSox597
08-11-2015, 02:55 PM
Yeah, he even used in during the KC series. Nobody called him out on it that I could see.

"Hawk, what the hell are you talking about?"

"Well, Stoney, it's like this....did I ever mention I played with Yaz? Yaz said..."

slavko
08-11-2015, 05:23 PM
In my opinion, the best Sox announcer on the radio side of things in all my years as a fan.

I can't recall if anyone asked Lip how Joe McConnell lost the Sox, the Bears, and De Paul basketball gigs all in such quick succession if he was so good, and he was great at all three.

cards press box
08-11-2015, 05:52 PM

I'm dating myself a bit but I always did like the Commander, Bob Elson.

Lip Man 1
08-11-2015, 07:08 PM
I can't recall if anyone asked Lip how Joe McConnell lost the Sox, the Bears, and De Paul basketball gigs all in such quick succession if he was so good, and he was great at all three.

My interview with Joe:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=3734

Don't recall exactly why he left I think he wanted to travel less and be closer to his home in Indiana. After the Sox he did Purdue sports for years until he retired.

Lip