PDA

View Full Version : *Official*6/30*A.L. Worst 2 N.L. Best 1

Noneck
06-30-2015, 10:59 PM
Good pitching by A.L. worst.

FielderJones
06-30-2015, 11:02 PM
Masterful pitching by Sale. One mistake cost him the decision, but his double-digit strikeout streak remains intact. He will go for sole possession of the record on Sunday.

Boondock Saint
06-30-2015, 11:06 PM
Chris Sale has matched Pedro Martinez at the peak of his dominance in something.

That's mind blowing. Un-****ing-fathomable.

thomas35forever
06-30-2015, 11:06 PM
Great outing from Sale and just as nice to see our useless catcher act useful for once. Maybe we can still get something for hm?:D:

Lip Man 1
06-30-2015, 11:11 PM
So sad, so typical White Sox that the best pitcher in the American League and maybe one of the top three in all of baseball has to be saddled with dead beat teammates who can't even score runs for him.

Hope Kenny is "enjoying" seeing what he is on the road trip.

Lip

delben91
06-30-2015, 11:11 PM
Chris Sale has matched Pedro Martinez at the peak of his dominance in something.

That's mind blowing. Un-****ing-fathomable.

And from those 8 starts he has 3 wins.

Pathetic showing by the team around him on all counts.

tstrike2000
06-30-2015, 11:18 PM
Sale is the only reason to watch this team.

slavko
06-30-2015, 11:19 PM
One of us enjoyed the win.

LoveYourSuit
06-30-2015, 11:26 PM
Chris Sale is best Sox pitcher in my lifetime.

Ahead of Black Jack, Buehrle, Hoyt, and Dotson. It's not even close.

At the very least I'm glad I lived the best Sox pitcher and hitter in the Big Hurt.

For all the negative the last 9 years have been, I am thankful for this.

BainesHOF
07-01-2015, 01:51 AM
Nice rundown. LOL!

The team is such a joke. It's perhaps the worst hitting Sox club of all-time. At one point, the bottom five hitters in the lineup were hitting .212 or lower. I wonder if that's ever happened in baseball history at this stage of the season.

Sale was awesome again, but Danks should have taken his turn. There's been persistent talk from the organization that they want to be careful with Sale and Rodon and limit their innings to some extent. This was the perfect case where they could have received an extra day of rest. Wins or losses don't matter anymore this season so why skip Danks? What's to be gained? The move smacked of desperation and insecurity.

And the continued batting Abreu second is ridiculous.

kufram
07-01-2015, 06:19 AM
Two of us enjoy the win and I'm not surprised by it.

Great pitching by Sale and the bullpen pitches 3 scoreless. I thought wins/losses didn't matter anymore in pitching stats? So much to regret about this year so far but do we really need to be reminded by the same posters...? Every. Single. Day. As predictable as the team is bad so far.

roylestillman
07-01-2015, 06:31 AM
Chris Sale is best Sox pitcher in my lifetime.

Ahead of Black Jack, Buehrle, Hoyt, and Dotson. It's not even close.

At the very least I'm glad I lived the best Sox pitcher and hitter in the Big Hurt.

For all the negative the last 9 years have been, I am thankful for this.

And you know what? I kind of have to agree with Don Cooper. If you know Sale is pitching at The Cell, and you're not at least considering heading out to the park, it's your loss. That place should be filled on days he pitches.

soxfanreggie
07-01-2015, 06:53 AM
Great outing from Sale and just as nice to see our useless catcher act useful for once. Maybe we can still get something for hm?:D:

Agreed on Sale's greatness. We are lucky in this crap bag of a season from most of the team to get to watch some of the best pitching brilliance from a pitcher to wear the pale hose. He might fall into King Felix territory where he wins the Cy Young based on his ERA/Ks with less focus on W/L record.

A blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. For as much as he goes down swinging, he's bound to make contact, right?

I'm glad he got a big hit, but he's one of the first two people I'd ship out the door for a bag of balls where we clear salary or get some low-A prospects. To me, it's more important in the second half of the season to get some of these AAA guys an opportunity to show their worth for next year.

anewman35
07-01-2015, 06:53 AM
And you know what? I kind of have to agree with Don Cooper. If you know Sale is pitching at The Cell, and you're not at least considering heading out to the park, it's your loss. That place should be filled on days he pitches.

Especially this Sunday - Family day with cheap tickets, cheap parking, and $1 hot dogs, and it's supposed to be really nice, too. Hard to resist...

asindc
07-01-2015, 06:57 AM
Two of us enjoy the win and I'm not surprised by it.

Great pitching by Sale and the bullpen pitches 3 scoreless. I thought wins/losses didn't matter anymore in pitching stats? So much to regret about this year so far but do we really need to be reminded by the same posters...? Every. Single. Day. As predictable as the team is bad so far.

Yes.

soxfanreggie
07-01-2015, 07:04 AM
I wonder if the role for Flowers should be as a back-up catcher/personal catcher for Sale. That's pretty much the only value he has if he's the guy Sale wants to throw to. You aren't going to want to go to him as a pinch-hitter.

Tragg
07-01-2015, 07:39 AM
Nice rundown. LOL!

The team is such a joke. It's perhaps the worst hitting Sox club of all-time. At one point, the bottom five hitters in the lineup were hitting .212 or lower. I wonder if that's ever happened in baseball history at this stage of the season.

Sale was awesome again, but Danks should have taken his turn. There's been persistent talk from the organization that they want to be careful with Sale and Rodon and limit their innings to some extent. This was the perfect case where they could have received an extra day of rest. Wins or losses don't matter anymore this season so why skip Danks? What's to be gained? The move smacked of desperation and insecurity.

And the continued batting Abreu second is ridiculous.
I agree. Danks should have pitched Sunday actually. The same thing applies to Rodon being up at all and clicking service time for this outfit. Ventura/Cooper are playing for every win, not to develop.
I also wonder why the Sox don't even try to use the farm to replace some of these guys. Can't be any worse. The only moves they made were Sanchez for Johnson and Junior Guerra, whom they don't let pitch more than in mop up time after a Danks blowup. And why is Danks still in the rotation?

Sox took 3/4 from the Giants last year. Could have been 4/4, but for one of those catcher interference call reversals.

Railsplitter
07-01-2015, 08:02 AM
:bandance:
Sox hitters were taking pitches for a change.

The Immigrant
07-01-2015, 09:08 AM
This thread is an embarrassment.

That was a hell of a fun game to watch and a nice win for the team I love. If you can't find any joy in that type of an outing by the best pitcher in baseball and a win against the best team in baseball, I don't know what to tell you - but please stop trying to kill the vibe for the few of us that still enjoy watching White Sox baseball.

kittle42
07-01-2015, 09:14 AM
I didn't catch any of it, but watched the capsule highlights on the MLB app as has been my M.O. most of the year. Sale is so, so, so good.

#1swisher
07-01-2015, 09:51 AM
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin (https://twitter.com/scottmerkin) 11h11 hours ago (https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/616097727609352192)

Good to see the Buehrles, Mark's parents, outside the White Sox clubhouse postgame. Great people, great family

#1swisher
07-01-2015, 09:56 AM
Whatís Chris Sale more proud of: tying a major league strikeout record or getting his first career hit? Itís actually not much of a debate. The hit wins.

Comcast SportsNet ‏@CSNChicago (https://twitter.com/CSNChicago) 13h (https://twitter.com/CSNChicago/status/616068864481177600) Sale equals Pedro's record for consecutive 10-K games: http://bit.ly/1C7iq8A (http://t.co/M9URXgA9x3) (@JJStankevitz (https://twitter.com/JJStankevitz))

Only two other pitchers besides Sale and Martinez have struck out double digit batters in seven straight starts ó the others being Hall of Famer Nolan Ryan and soon-to-be Hall of Famer Randy Johnson. Saleís streak began with 10 strikeouts May 23 against Minnesota, and he followed that with 12, 13, 14, 12, 14, 10 and 12 strikeouts, totaling 97 over those eight starts. Martinez struck out 107 in his eight-game stretch 16 years ago.

WSox597
07-01-2015, 10:44 AM
An excellent game to watch. Sales is outstanding, what can you say about him? Plus he got a hit, too.

The Cards are the best team going right now, so it's good to see the Sox beat them.

A couple of the Sox are starting to warm up, Cabrera for one. He's up to around .255 or so which is much better.

Stone mentioned that the Cardinal manager started the same time as Robin, and he also had no coaching experience before taking the job.

Hitmen77
07-01-2015, 10:47 AM

I totally disagree.

After 4 extremely disappointing seasons in the last 5 years for this franchise, you can't expect fans to suddenly show up and pack the house every 5th day when Sale pitches while the quality of the product and fan interest has been approaching rock bottom overall. It simply doesn't work that way.

Comments like that from Cooper are nothing more than "blame the customers" crap that really have absolutely no place in the discussion of what's wrong with the White Sox.

Irishsox1
07-01-2015, 11:03 AM
This season is a disaster, but watching Sale dominate against the Cardinals with the Sox getting the win is sweet.

harwar
07-01-2015, 11:19 AM
It was a fun game to watch .. the baseball world was paying attention, since the cardinals were involved and Sale was pitching .. i'm glad that they made the move to have him pitch, so that people around the country can find out just how awesome this man really is .. Chris deserves it, he also deserved the win, but that's another story .. watching Chris Sale, gives me the same feelings that i had watching Frank Thomas .. i consider myself extremely lucky to have been a fan during their prime years .. i fully expected a loss last night, and it's a damn shame that Sale didn't get the W, but they did find a way to win .. last night, for a few hours, i was proud again to be White Sox fan..

PaleHoser
07-01-2015, 11:38 AM
Good to see the Buehrles, Mark's parents, outside the White Sox clubhouse postgame.

Were they pointing and laughing?

But seriously, props to Chris Sale for this amazing run. And hats-off to Daniel Webb for pitching over that butchered rundown in the 10th inning. He's been solid since he was called up from Charlotte.

smac38
07-01-2015, 11:45 AM
Stone mentioned that the Cardinal manager started the same time as Robin, and he also had no coaching experience before taking the job.

I am no fan of Robin as a manager, but that's a bit of an unfair comparison. Matheney took over a World Series team if I remember correctly, or at the very least, a perennial contender. Not to mention they had a stocked farm system and a front office that knows what the hell they're doing.

tstrike2000
07-01-2015, 12:10 PM
I am no fan of Robin as a manager, but that's a bit of an unfair comparison. Matheney took over a World Series team if I remember correctly, or at the very least, a perennial contender. Not to mention they had a stocked farm system and a front office that knows what the hell they're doing.

Matheny, also a catcher, had a good reputation working with pitchers.

The Immigrant
07-01-2015, 12:24 PM
Matheny, also a catcher, had a good reputation working with pitchers.

The other key difference is that Matheny had to interview for the job. He was selected over 5 other candidates, including Terry Francona and Tony LaRussa's third base coach.

Robin Ventura did not face such competition...or really any competition at all.

Tragg
07-01-2015, 12:25 PM
Were they pointing and laughing?

But seriously, props to Chris Sale for this amazing run. And hats-off to Daniel Webb for pitching over that butchered rundown in the 10th inning. He's been solid since he was called up from Charlotte.

More than solid - high Ks and mostly inducing outs. All things considered, he's our most valuable bullpen pitcher except for Robertson; not the best, yet, but most valuable.

tstrike2000
07-01-2015, 12:42 PM
Again, to state the obvious, Chris Sale is amazing. An ERA below 1.00 and 97 Ks in his last 8 starts is unbelievable. It's really too bad he's getting no decisons and losses so much of the time. I'm glad the Sox won, but it's bittersweet that Sale pitches his ass off and once again comes up empty.

Rocky Soprano
07-01-2015, 01:22 PM
I tuned in because Sale was pitching and especially since he had a shot at making history.

He's special and I will continue to tune in when he is on the mound.

slavko
07-01-2015, 01:24 PM

I think Stoney said it to justify Robin's hiring, not to compare him to Metheny. Either way, it makes LaRussa look like less of a miracle worker.

A front office that knows what the hell they're doing may have something to do with the stocked farm system. :D: The lack of emphasis on the farm system here is on ownership. So's the front office that doesn't know what it's doing.

Irishsox1
07-01-2015, 01:43 PM
I think Stoney said it to justify Robin's hiring, not to compare him to Metheny. Either way, it makes LaRussa look like less of a miracle worker.

A front office that knows what the hell they're doing may have something to do with the stocked farm system. :D: The lack of emphasis on the farm system here is on ownership. So's the front office that doesn't know what it's doing.

What Stoney said was a rip on Kenny and the Sox organization. The Cardinals went with the tried and true of hiring a former catcher as manager. In baseball when in doubt, hire a catcher. Brad Ausmas, Bruce Bochy, Kevin Cash, John Gibbons, Joe Girardi, A.J. Hinch, Clint Hurdle, Mike Matheny, Bob Melvin, Mike Redmond, Mike Scioscia, Ned Yost were all catchers in the major leagues.

BainesHOF
07-01-2015, 07:08 PM
This thread is an embarrassment.

That was a hell of a fun game to watch and a nice win for the team I love. If you can't find any joy in that type of an outing by the best pitcher in baseball and a win against the best team in baseball, I don't know what to tell you - but please stop trying to kill the vibe for the few of us that still enjoy watching White Sox baseball.

I watched the game, enjoyed it and chose to make a couple points that I thought were worth making beyond the obvious one that Sale was great. If you can't handle negative comments then I suggest you stop reading about this team on a message board.

kufram
07-02-2015, 02:06 AM
I watched the game, enjoyed it and chose to make a couple points that I thought were worth making beyond the obvious one that Sale was great. If you can't handle negative comments then I suggest you stop reading about this team on a message board.

I, for one, can handle negative comments and have made a few myself. What I don't need is to read the the same negative comments made by the same handful of posters on an every day basis to the point that it has become a drone that drowns out everything else. Thanks for the suggestion and you're right.... so I'm gone.

The Immigrant
07-02-2015, 08:59 AM

Negative comments don't bother me in general when they're substantive or funny, but the constant drumbeat of negativity from the same few posters - even on a night when the Sox won an exciting game against the best team in baseball - gets really tiresome. It's not a problem that's endemic to all Sox forums and blogs, thank goodness, but here it's been allowed to fester to a point where fewer and fewer people even bother to post. But whatever makes you feel better man. Thanks for your suggestion!

And for the record, your "couple points" were pretty ****ing dumb. You're the first person I have ever heard complain about John Danks missing his turn in the rotation; he's awful and NOBODY wants to see him pitch. And batting Abreu second has been working out just fine; everyone else failed to produce in that spot and teams with successful offenses have batted their best hitters in that spot with success. I'm amazed it took Ventura this long to give it a shot.

doublem23
07-02-2015, 11:59 AM

Here's a thought, it's not your place to tell people how they are and not allowed to react to the same repetitive bull**** every single day. Maybe if you can't take a little criticism of the content you post here, I'd suggest you watch what you post on this message board.

kittle42
07-02-2015, 01:29 PM
Here's a thought, it's not your place to tell people how they are and not allowed to react to the same repetitive bull**** every single day. Maybe if you can't take a little criticism of the content you post here, I'd suggest you watch what you post on this message board.

Hey oh!

SI1020
07-02-2015, 02:11 PM
I, for one, can handle negative comments and have made a few myself. What I don't need is to read the the same negative comments made by the same handful of posters on an every day basis to the point that it has become a drone that drowns out everything else. Thanks for the suggestion and you're right.... so I'm gone. I've probably overstayed my welcome for different reasons. In fact, a while back I was pretty sure I would be shown the door. Any sports web site needs it's share of sunshine and balloons people, curmudgeons and everything in between. BHOF has his style and you have yours. Different things than you push my buttons but welcome or not at least for the moment I'm still here.

On another note how about the Sox cleaning up on the Astros and Cardinals and looking bad against almost everything AL Central. Makes you think that maybe they can finally make a season out of this. I lean towards curmudgeon so I say probably not but honestly this team has enough talent to hover around .500.

BainesHOF
07-03-2015, 01:06 AM
And for the record, your "couple points" were pretty ****ing dumb. You're the first person I have ever heard complain about John Danks missing his turn in the rotation; he's awful and NOBODY wants to see him pitch. And batting Abreu second has been working out just fine; everyone else failed to produce in that spot and teams with successful offenses have batted their best hitters in that spot with success. I'm amazed it took Ventura this long to give it a shot.

No they weren't.

What don't you understand about the team doing its best to keep Sale and Rodon healthy this season and for the future? Starting Danks would have had nothing to do with starting Danks and everything about helping Sale and Rodon stay healthy. Come on, that point was not hard to understand the first time. And now the Sox are considering pushing Sale back a game. Gee, I wonder why. Anyway, members of the organization have spoken multiple times about doing what they can to ease up on Sale and Rodon occasionally this season to preserve them. I hardly invented the concept.

So, tell me what exactly about Abreu batting in the second spot trumps making it more likely that he'll hit a solo homer over a 2-run homer, and making it impossible for him to hit a 3-run homer in the first inning? I'll save you some time. There isn't anything. Reducing your mathematical chance of scoring does not increase your chance of scoring. It's that simple and there's no getting around it. Moving your top hitter into the second spot has been done in the past often to try to help the hitter snap out of a slump, you know, by hitting to right more and developing habits that it takes to do that which results in improved overall hitting. Abreu is our leading hitter. He has no such issues. His average is fine. The one area he needs to improve upon this season is increasing his power. If anything, it would make more sense to drop him into the fourth slot and see what effects having him concentrate more on driving the ball would have on him. In the end, the best hitter should bat third, especially when he's about the only hitter on the team having any kind of real success. Some statistical analysis has suggested that the best hitter should bat leadoff to wind up with more at-bats over the course of the season, but that's an argument for another time and doesn't apply to Ventura batting Abreu second. The most important goal of a putting together a lineup is to maximize production to create the best chance to win. It's not to find a No. 2 hitter at the expense of diminishing the main goal. Batting Abreu second is giving up rational thought out of desperation and frustration. It's not how a professional manager should operate.

Further arguments can be made pro and con regarding my points, but to call my points "pretty ****ing dumb" is off the mark like so many of Danks' changeups.

I get the point about incessant negative comments being tiresome. I think the main issue is the way the team plays is tiresome. It's a shame the organization is producing so much nonsense virtually on a daily basis for years now. Some fans have stopped paying close attention to the games or stopped watching them entirely. Others have stopped coming to this message board. As of now, I still care enough to watch the games and make comments here. I enjoy reading the wide-range of thoughts from others. There's lots of good, funny, informative, passionate stuff here. There's some nonsense, too. Even some of that is funny, too, much like watching the team. I think it helps to find the humor in dark times.