PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* Sanchez tames the Tigers 6/25/15 Postgamer

Foulke You
06-25-2015, 04:05 PM
8 runs. The offense actually won us a ballgame! Robin rolled the dice in extras with the IBB to Cabrera and it paid off.

#1swisher
06-25-2015, 04:07 PM
Comcast SportsNet ‏@CSNChicago (https://twitter.com/CSNChicago) 5m (https://twitter.com/CSNChicago/status/614176733915430913)
[FINAL] Would you look at that. #WhiteSox (https://twitter.com/hashtag/WhiteSox?src=hash) defeat Tigers, 8-7, in extras. Reaction and analysis tonight on CSN.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CIYMevHVEAAylAM.jpg

smac38
06-25-2015, 04:09 PM
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 6m6 minutes ago
Smart move by Ventura: If Wilson beats your closer, so be it.

Nice insight Scott. It was smart to pitch to Josh Wilson instead of Miguel Cabrera? Who knew?

guillensdisciple
06-25-2015, 04:11 PM
This comment is not meant to be optimistic. The fact is that this team is supposed to be an average team. You can see it. At their best that is the level they should be playing at. I will admit that staying they were conteders was a bit optimistic, but haVing .500 season was a reasonable expectation.Look, I don't want to say Ventura sucks, but managers are supposed to get the best out of what they have. I concede last year and the year before that. We sucked. The tools are there now, but they are underachieving. When teams underachieve , it is an obvious sign of disconnect with management. The sox need to find someone that can do that. Bring out the best in the players.

harwar
06-25-2015, 04:12 PM
Robin rolled the dice in extras with the IBB to Cabrera and it paid off.

I thought that Robin had lost his mind, until i remembered that Martinez was out of the game .. gutsy move that paid off..

Lip Man 1
06-25-2015, 04:12 PM
Despite the best efforts of Tyler Flowers the Sox won a game. :D:

Lip

#1swisher
06-25-2015, 04:15 PM
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan (https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan) 3m3 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan/status/614179340650020864)

Ventura on int BB of Cabrera: "It's risky but you don't tug on Superman's cape too often. I'm not going to mess with him"

white sox bill
06-25-2015, 04:17 PM
Good job RV, you buttered the right side this time

Lip Man 1
06-25-2015, 04:17 PM
Also regarding Robertson. It's hard for a closer to stay sharp when basically he's only pitching in game situations about once a week.

Lip

Foulke You
06-25-2015, 04:19 PM
I thought that Robin had lost his mind, until i remembered that Martinez was out of the game .. gutsy move that paid off..
I was right there with you but then I heard Farmer say "Josh Wilson on deck" and then I realized why Robin did it. It was a smart move albeit a risky one. Josh Wilson could have hit a gork shot off the end of the bat and ended the game. Still the right call though. Miguel Cabrera is the best hitter on the planet. You have to take the bat out of his hands. If Victor was on deck, I would have just prayed that Cabrera makes an out.

Foulke You
06-25-2015, 04:22 PM
Also regarding Robertson. It's hard for a closer to stay sharp when basically he's only pitching in game situations about once a week.

Lip
Totally agree Lip. The guy is just not seeing very many save situations this year or getting much work period. I've noticed that Robin pretty much only uses him in save situations but he might want to start thinking about a few "get his work in" type outings to keep him sharp.

Tragg
06-25-2015, 04:34 PM
Nice hit by Sanchez. He's certainly earning his keep defensively. If he could just hit reasonably well.

Send Rodon down. No use wasting him for Ventura and Cooper to flail for wins. How many changeups did he throw?

#1swisher
06-25-2015, 04:35 PM
Christopher Kamka ‏@ckamka (https://twitter.com/ckamka) 41m (https://twitter.com/ckamka/status/614174509520650240)

Carlos Sanchez: first #WhiteSox (https://twitter.com/hashtag/WhiteSox?src=hash) bases loaded triple in extra innings since Ferris Fain 6/16/1953

Soxman219
06-25-2015, 04:44 PM
I hope that clutch hit was the hit that sparks the growth of Sanchez. We needed every single run in the 10th. Ventura actually made the right move for once in IBBing Miggy.

RCWHITESOX
06-25-2015, 04:50 PM

Lip

Flowers,Bonifacio and Danks pure waste of a roster spot. Flowers is just all around terrible. Glad the Sox won but this game like so many others was full of Sox mental mistakes. Please bring in a real manager and make changes on the roster. Let's see if Davidson,Johnson and Thompson are ready for the big leagues; they certainty can't be worse than Gillespie,Bonifacio, and Danks. And try to find a real MLB catcher before the deadline.

cards press box
06-25-2015, 05:21 PM

Lip

True. He just isn't a starting catcher in the big leagues. Maybe a backup but that is a bit of a stretch, too.

Flowers,Bonifacio and Danks pure waste of a roster spot. Flowers is just all around terrible.

All true. To be fair, all of those spots will be rectified in time.

But, for now,

:winner

BainesHOF
06-25-2015, 05:37 PM
It was great to see Sanchez deliver a big hit. He also led off the ninth with a base hit. He's the second baseman of the future. He's a tremendous defensive talent who'll wind up hitting, too.

Ventura's decision to walk Cabrera doesn't matter in the big picture, but I've never seen a manager walk the winning run into scoring position. There's a reason for that.

The worst performance of the day came from the radio post-game host. He aggressively bullied the first caller in what was a bad Bernstein impression, and went on to say Ventura is just like any other manager and that it makes no difference to him who the manager is. I don't listen to the post-game show much anymore because it's even worse than the team, but I've had it with Rongey's aggressive ignorance and blatant disregard for the responsibilities of his job. He needs to go and never come back.

Foulke You
06-25-2015, 05:50 PM
Ventura's decision to walk Cabrera doesn't matter in the big picture, but I've never seen a manager walk the winning run into scoring position. There's a reason for that.
I'll call out Robin for a bad decision but the IBB to Cabrera was the correct one to make. A very worthwhile gamble because Miguel Cabrera is the best hitter on the planet who can hit any pitcher and Josh Wilson is just a guy. Robertson K'd Wilson on 4 pitches. As Robin said in the postgame comments: "You don't tug on Superman's cape..."

chisoxfanatic
06-25-2015, 05:52 PM
Was flipping channels and saw this on so I watched the last few innings. Nice ending. But, why was it a day game on a Thursday to start off the series?

chisox712
06-25-2015, 06:01 PM
Ballsy move by Robin. It sounds crazy to put the winning run in scoring posiition, but it's hard to argue with not letting the best hitter in the world beat you.

Foulke You
06-25-2015, 06:03 PM
Was flipping channels and saw this on so I watched the last few innings. Nice ending. But, why was it a day game on a Thursday to start off the series?
Looks like every Tigers home game on a Thursday is a day game regardless of whether it is getaway day or not. Must be a marketing decision.

The Immigrant
06-25-2015, 08:32 PM
Send Rodon down. No use wasting him for Ventura and Cooper to flail for wins. How many changeups did he throw?

Ha ha, I now look forward to the days Rodon pitches just to see you flail this dead horse one more time.

Rodon is not going down to AAA. There's absolutely no reason to send him down to AAA. He is holding his own against MLB hitters and is improving against the right type of competition. Having him face AAA hitters would do nothing for his development. Please let it go.

BainesHOF
06-25-2015, 09:42 PM
Ballsy move by Robin. It sounds crazy to put the winning run in scoring posiition, but it's hard to argue with not letting the best hitter in the world beat you.

If it happened in April or perhaps in May, then the decision would be worthy of debate. Now, though, it literally doesn't matter, unless you bet money on the game. Nothing that happens on the field matters anymore this season. It's all about what moves, if any, will be made to try to improve the team for the future.

Andrew C White
06-25-2015, 10:17 PM
Ha ha, I now look forward to the days Rodon pitches just to see you flail this dead horse one more time.

Rodon is not going down to AAA. There's absolutely no reason to send him down to AAA. He is holding his own against MLB hitters and is improving against the right type of competition. Having him face AAA hitters would do nothing for his development. Please let it go.

I was strongly against bringing him up and still think it was the wrong move.

But that ship has sailed. At this point you stick with the decision and let him develop here. Sending him down does more harm than good. But he *does* need to throw his changeup more.

Tragg
06-25-2015, 10:35 PM

That's the difference in our philosophies.
You want him to hold his own.
I don't care if he can hold his own for this dead team. I want him to become an ace. He doesn't do it without a 3rd pitch. IN Chicago, the priority is for him to get the next man out; in Charlotte it would be to learn that 3rd pitch (which, until he learns it, is less likely to get the man out) and develop his command.

slavko
06-26-2015, 12:19 AM
This comment is not meant to be optimistic. The fact is that this team is supposed to be an average team. You can see it. At their best that is the level they should be playing at. I will admit that staying they were conteders was a bit optimistic, but haVing .500 season was a reasonable expectation.Look, I don't want to say Ventura sucks, but managers are supposed to get the best out of what they have. I concede last year and the year before that. We sucked. The tools are there now, but they are underachieving. When teams underachieve , it is an obvious sign of disconnect with management. The sox need to find someone that can do that. Bring out the best in the players.

Another way of looking at this is the fact that we are several wins AHEAD of where we should be based on the performance of the players. So maybe the manager is pushing the right buttons and the blame belongs elsewhere.

Miggy finds a gap in the outfield and the winning run scores anyway. The only solid hit in that half inning was the RBI single.

Some serious apologetics going on around here about a .160 hitting infielder (who really can pick it) and an expensive closer who's not worth the money.

kittle42
06-26-2015, 01:28 AM
So maybe the manager is pushing the right buttons

That's funny.

JB98
06-26-2015, 01:45 AM

I agree. I thought this game was actually a great learning experience for Rodon. If he were in AAA, he could flip get-me-over sliders over the plate for strike one all day long and get away with it. In the big leagues, they'll notice that pattern, sit on first-pitch slider and knock one out of the yard. You have to vary your pitches. J.D. Martinez taught Rodon that lesson today in the fifth inning.

In general, I think there is a little bit too much fretting about Rodon's "third pitch." I saw some changeups thrown today, and no, they weren't particularly effective. But we have to remember that third pitch doesn't need to be an A+ pitch for him. It just needs to be decent. The fastball and the slider are both A+. The change is never going to be a make-or-break pitch for Rodon. It just has to progress to the point where it can be used a little more frequently in a game. He'll get there.

I've seen a lot of bitching on this board through the years about the Sox playing mediocre veterans over young guys. In Rodon's case, they finally are playing the young guy, and I'm happy about that. I'd be a hypocrite if I called for him to be sent down and replaced with a mediocre veteran. Personally, I'm glad he's here and Noesi is gone.

TomBradley72
06-26-2015, 07:07 AM
Another way of looking at this is the fact that we are several wins AHEAD of where we should be based on the performance of the players. So maybe the manager is pushing the right buttons and the blame belongs elsewhere.

Miggy finds a gap in the outfield and the winning run scores anyway. The only solid hit in that half inning was the RBI single.

Some serious apologetics going on around here about a .160 hitting infielder (who really can pick it) and an expensive closer who's not worth the money.

Give Sanchez a chance- he's hit at every level throughout the minors- he's only 23 yo- give him a little time to adjust- his defense is worth the patience.

soxfanreggie
06-26-2015, 07:14 AM
True. He just isn't a starting catcher in the big leagues. Maybe a backup but that is a bit of a stretch, too.

All true. To be fair, all of those spots will be rectified in time.

But, for now,

:winner

Flowers isn't even a back-up. Your back-up should either be someone who is good defensively or who is average defensively but a decent hitter. He is far away from either, which means he has little value to the Sox. He is what you get when you consistently ignore the catcher position in terms of drafting/free agency for many years when AJ was on his way out.

Foulke You
06-26-2015, 11:06 AM
I agree. I thought this game was actually a great learning experience for Rodon. If he were in AAA, he could flip get-me-over sliders over the plate for strike one all day long and get away with it. In the big leagues, they'll notice that pattern, sit on first-pitch slider and knock one out of the yard. You have to vary your pitches. J.D. Martinez taught Rodon that lesson today in the fifth inning.

In general, I think there is a little bit too much fretting about Rodon's "third pitch." I saw some changeups thrown today, and no, they weren't particularly effective. But we have to remember that third pitch doesn't need to be an A+ pitch for him. It just needs to be decent. The fastball and the slider are both A+. The change is never going to be a make-or-break pitch for Rodon. It just has to progress to the point where it can be used a little more frequently in a game. He'll get there.

I've seen a lot of bitching on this board through the years about the Sox playing mediocre veterans over young guys. In Rodon's case, they finally are playing the young guy, and I'm happy about that. I'd be a hypocrite if I called for him to be sent down and replaced with a mediocre veteran. Personally, I'm glad he's here and Noesi is gone.
I'm with you here. I don't think Rodon would be learning more by dominating the International League and rising to the top of prospect lists everywhere. Even if the Sox don't have a magical turnaround this year, he is learning how to get big league hitters out THIS season. The experience he gets this year is invaluable and should help him a lot going into next season.

amsteel
06-26-2015, 11:17 AM
I'm with you here. I don't think Rodon would be learning more by dominating the International League and rising to the top of prospect lists everywhere. Even if the Sox don't have a magical turnaround this year, he is learning how to get big league hitters out THIS season. The experience he gets this year is invaluable and should help him a lot going into next season.

He's looked good and once he finds his control (2nd highest BB/9 and 3rd highest pitches/batter) he's gonna be REAL good.