PDA

View Full Version : Foulke


Chisox_cali
08-21-2002, 02:52 AM
Has anybody else noticed that since July 7, an apperence after giving up 3ER, He has been pretty freakin' dominant?

Here's his stats

19G
22IP
14K
3BB
1.23 ERA

Also his ERA this month is 0.93

doublem23
08-21-2002, 02:56 AM
Of course not, cali. He sucks with the lot of them.

I'd have put that in teal, but that takes much more time to do than these jamokes (the Sox) deserve.

Chisox_cali
08-21-2002, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Of course not, cali. He sucks with the lot of them.

I'd have put that in teal, but that takes much more time to do than these jamokes (the Sox) deserve.

Wait...Are you saying he still sucks or he's good? :smile:

doublem23
08-21-2002, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali


Wait...Are you saying he still sucks or he's good? :smile:

I don't even know anymore. :)

With proper coaching (anyone NOT named Nardi Contreras), I have a feeling he may return to form.

WhiteSox = Life
08-21-2002, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Has anybody else noticed that since July 7, an apperence after giving up 3ER, He has been pretty freakin' dominant?

Here's his stats

19G
22IP
14K
3BB
1.23 ERA

Also his ERA this month is 0.93

:jerry
"Hmm... With those stats, I think we have ourselves a true number one starter. Mark, to the bullpen. You now have the most important role on the 2002 Chicago White Sox."

:burly
"Uh huh. And what might that be?"

:jerry
"The role we need filled every 4 out of 5 games: Mop-Up Man!"

hold2dibber
08-21-2002, 09:38 AM
As far as I could tell (and I admit I'm no expert) it always seemed to me that Foulke's problems were mechanical - he wasn't getting the same action or location on his fastball or change up. I still don't see any reason to think he can't return to form - the key, I guess, is his mental approach. After such a tough season, does he have the cajones to be a closer still, or is he too shell shocked (which is what happened to Derick Lowe when he had a rough spell). I think Jerry needs to start using him as a closer NOW (assuming the Sox ever have another save opportunity this year ) so we can get some sense of whether he can assume that role again in 2003 or if they should start grooming him to be a starter.

voodoochile
08-21-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
As far as I could tell (and I admit I'm no expert) it always seemed to me that Foulke's problems were mechanical - he wasn't getting the same action or location on his fastball or change up. I still don't see any reason to think he can't return to form - the key, I guess, is his mental approach. After such a tough season, does he have the cajones to be a closer still, or is he too shell shocked (which is what happened to Derick Lowe when he had a rough spell). I think Jerry needs to start using him as a closer NOW (assuming the Sox ever have another save opportunity this year ) so we can get some sense of whether he can assume that role again in 2003 or if they should start grooming him to be a starter.

No, the Sox are looking to trade him, I would bet dollars to donuts on it. No way do they want to pay him $6 million next year. Heck, they don't even like paying their starters that much money. But, they don't want to risk having him prove he has lost it as a closer, to they will protect their trade bait from possible devaluation that way KW can get TWO bags of baseballs for a top-notch reliever...

hold2dibber
08-21-2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile


No, the Sox are looking to trade him, I would bet dollars to donuts on it. No way do they want to pay him $6 million next year. Heck, they don't even like paying their starters that much money. But, they don't want to risk having him prove he has lost it as a closer, to they will protect their trade bait from possible devaluation that way KW can get TWO bags of baseballs for a top-notch reliever...

You're probably right - but if they trade him for anything less than a quality, major-league ready player (a starting pitcher or center fielder, preferably), I'll friggin' explode.

voodoochile
08-21-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber


You're probably right - but if they trade him for anything less than a quality, major-league ready player (a starting pitcher or center fielder, preferably), I'll friggin' explode.

Fan Blows Up

Cubune Staff Writer
Chicago

Today, they closed Michigan Avenue briefly after an explosion rocked "Millennium Hole". At first Police wondered if it was a terrorist attack, but after careful searching, they concluded that it was merely a disappointed baseball fan who had just learned of the trade of Keith Foulke. Earlier today in what is widely believed to be a pre-season cost cutting move, the earliest white flag ever raised on the South Side, Kenny Williams traded Keith Foulke for Alan Embree and 2 bags of baseballs.

Williams was quoted as saying, "Embree looked good last year. We never should have let him get away. When you have a chance to trade for a left handed reliever of that caliber you don't pass it up. Keith was good for a couple of years, but he last year he showed his true form when he blew 20 saves and had an ERA above 10. I think this move puts us squarely in the hunt for second place, though if the fans continue to ignore the team, we may have to give up on those lofty expectations and trade enough high-priced veterans to give us only a crack at third."

The reporters were seen shaking their heads and laughing as they left the press conference. The explosion happened later and police believe the Sox fan was one 'hold2dibber' from the popular Cubs.... er... White Sox (is that how you spell it?) Interactive. Police have ruled it an accidental explosion from blood pressure reaching critical mass. Doctors were dumbfounded until they called in team trainer Herm Schneider who immediately recognized the condition and said, "We really know how to tick off our fan base. It's our specialty, but heck, it's their own fault."

No word yet on whether Schneider has been fired for divulging company trade secrets.