PDA

View Full Version : Dear Chicago White Sox....

Tragg
08-21-2002, 12:52 AM
Thank you for participating in this major league baseball season. The exemplary effort of the players, the shrewd gamesmanship of the field manager and the skill, savvy and eye for talent of the general manager are all greatly appreciated.

Only, please check your calendar - the season doesn't end on August 1. While it may end in late August, it isn't scheduled to end until late September.

Thank you.

MrX
08-21-2002, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
Only, please check your calendar - the season doesn't end on August 1. While it may end in late August, it isn't scheduled to end until late September.

Thank you.

You should change the date to May 1. This team has sucked since then.

doublem23
08-21-2002, 02:37 AM
If I go to another game this year (A VERY BIG IF), I am so bringing that as a giant sign to the game.

(Well, the last part anyways).

VeeckAsInWreck
08-21-2002, 12:22 PM
If I go to another game, I am considering a brown paper bag with "Kenny Williams Fan Club" written on it. However, I may have to sneak that into the park.

FarmerAndy
08-21-2002, 01:20 PM
Speaking of sneaking things in the ballpark....

Last night my friend and I went to the game, and my friend had a backpack. I know for awhile they weren't allowing any bags into the park. He had just been to monday's game with his uncle though, and his uncle brought a backpack into the park, so he figured it would be o.k..

We got up to gate 5 and the guy said he couldn't bring in a backpack. Another guy had just entered with a bag so big, it looked like he'd just left baggage claim at the airport. My friend said "What about that guy?" The guy responded "That's a regular gym type bag, not a backpack, we don't allow backpacks."

Can somebody explain to me what the point of this rule is? You can bring gym bags, satchels, and other such bags, but not a backpack. They search all bags anyway. So why is it o.k. to bring in a gym bag as large as a suitcase, but not a backpack?

To make it worse, after my friend threw away his backpack, we went into the park and counted 7 backpacks throughout the night.

What a joke. And if that wasn't enough b.s. for one night at the ballpark, the game sucked too, well from a Sox fans point of view anyway. There were more Twins fans than Sox fans. I hate to say it, but in a way, it was nice to watch a good ball team. I don't care what anybody says, those Twins are darn good. You don't have to like it, but you can't deny it. The only other highlight was that Nash Kato (of Urge Overkill fame) was sitting in the next section over from us.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-21-2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
Speaking of sneaking things in the ballpark....

Last night my friend and I went to the game, and my friend had a backpack. I know for awhile they weren't allowing any bags into the park. He had just been to monday's game with his uncle though, and his uncle brought a backpack into the park, so he figured it would be o.k....

They are not enforcing the back-pack rule uniformly. It definitely helps to have small children with you, too. I went to the Seattle game a week ago Sunday with both my kids. The template of a allowable size back-pack was fractionally smaller than the one I had. I showed it to a green shirt and he told me it would be okay.

Later, when I was ready to enter the ballpark, I went to a different gate and another green shirt tells me no way, it's against Sox and MLB policy. I just love when the Sox hide behind "MLB policy" to justify whatever nonsense they want their customers to believe--like Bud Selig is going revoke their charter if they don't behave, or something. :smile:

So I keep my cool and trot my family back to the first green shirt at the original gate. He peers inside the backpack, says okay--except now the bottle of water inside can't come with us. (The heat index is over 100 degrees for the game and I've got two kids). I toss the bottle in the trash and we walk right in.

Should I mention that the other green shirt looked like he was a graduate of the Hitler Youth Corps?

I tell ya, I think it would be really funny if the Sox changed the green shirts to brown shirts, gave them a black armband with the Sox logo on it, and had them goose step around the concourse.

Talk about intimidation!

:)

ode to veeck
08-22-2002, 05:02 PM
go out and then go in again through a different gate, I've used this tactic successfully several times already this season to get my camera bag in to games in a number of differenct cities, never took more than one additional try

VeeckAsInWreck
08-22-2002, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Should I mention that the other green shirt looked like he was a graduate of the Hitler Youth Corps?
I tell ya, I think it would be really funny if the Sox changed the green shirts to brown shirts, gave them a black armband with the Sox logo on it, and had them goose step around the concourse.

Talk about intimidation!

:)

Well, funny you should say that because those green shirts are off duty Chicago Police officers!