PDA

View Full Version : Best Chicago Baseball Announcer?

Lip Man 1
08-21-2002, 02:01 PM
The Tribune is asking readers to send in who they think is the best Chicago baseball announcer ever. I thought you might like to see my submission and what they printed:

"Without question it's Harry Caray when he was working for the White Sox.

His mind was still sharp, he had a great relationship with the fans, especially when he was doing the game from the center-field bleachers and he wasn't afraid to criticize the players or management, something he didn't seem to be allowed to do when he was with the Cubs."

Mark Liptak, Chubbuck, Idaho

ChiSoxBobette
08-21-2002, 04:01 PM
DON DRYSDALE . !

oldcomiskey
08-21-2002, 04:44 PM
53 wasnt bad at all--but Id still have to say Harry from 72-80

KingXerxes
08-21-2002, 04:52 PM
The Caray - Piersall broadcasts were untouchable. Vince Lloyd used to do a nice job, and so did Lloyd Pettit (even when burdened with a clown like Brickhouse).

oldcomiskey
08-21-2002, 04:56 PM
I did love to listen to Harry as a youth though----Harrelson and 53 werent bad------Wimpy was alright too-----the huy I hated was Frank Messer and Gary Thorne wasnt all that good either

SI1020
08-21-2002, 05:23 PM
Most of the modern announcers could cure the worst case of insomnia. I miss many of the old timers. The first ones I ever heard on the radio were Bob Elson and Don Wells. "The Commander" may be in the broadcasters wing of the HOF but he was starting to slip badly by the time I became a listener. Nevertheless I can still hear him calling Sox games as well as my fading memory permits. The White Sox were on WCFL (the voice of labor) which was the call letters for the station at 1000 AM. He's the first one I ever remember yelling Sox Win! Sox Win! after a big game. I remember the old commercials for Budweiser ("pick a pair of six packs, buy Bud") and General Finance ("you're money will be ready and waiting"). It was more fun to listen, they won a lot more than they lost then. Oh well, enough of that. I agree that the Harry/Jimmy era was the best ever in Sox broadcasting. Lorne Brown in the radio booth with them wasn't bad too.

ScottyTheSoxFan
08-21-2002, 09:37 PM
what no joe carter on the list?

SOXSINCE'70
08-21-2002, 10:01 PM
I remain a Caray/Piersall fan.Especially loved it when Harry would ask Jimmy if he'd sent out his alimony check.You'd never hear that kind of "politically incorrect" (GAG!!) sportstalk in this era.

:harry&jimmy
They told the story the way it should be told:TRUTHFULLY!!

:sellreinsy :sellreinsy

TornLabrum
08-21-2002, 10:07 PM
I have to go with Jack Drees and Billy Pierce.

And if I can't vote for them there was the great team of Jack Brickhouse and Harry Creighton in the early to mid-'50s. Creighton sounded great after drinking Hamm's through 15 innings or so and then taking over for Brickhouse after the seventh inning stretch in game 2 of a doubleheader.

tampabaysoxfan
08-21-2002, 11:11 PM
I'd vote for Caray and Piersall for first; and Hawk and Wimpy for second.

What about Hawk for Mgr. or GM? Any thoughts on what's happenning with him recently?

doublem23
08-21-2002, 11:17 PM
Hawk for GM?

Granted, I'm a little too young to remember, but I do believe he utterly destroyed a young, promising team.

:KW
My ears are burning.

idseer
08-21-2002, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by tampabaysoxfan

What about Hawk for Mgr. or GM? Any thoughts on what's happenning with him recently?

i cannot believe what you just wrote.
just goes to prove the old adage .... those who don't learn from history are DOOMED to repeat it.

voodoochile
08-22-2002, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by tampabaysoxfan
I'd vote for Caray and Piersall for first; and Hawk and Wimpy for second.

What about Hawk for Mgr. or GM?

Hawk is that you? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, then may Daver stick a bow up your ass and let the arrow fly...

Jerry_Manuel
08-22-2002, 12:16 AM
If Hawk wants to go sit in the dugout and be a bench coach that's fine with me. He knows the game of baseball, and he's off my tv.

GM? No, I'd rather take my chances with Williams. Manager? I'd rather take my chances with Man Soo Lee.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-22-2002, 12:36 AM
Kudos to WSI's Lanny Sigo who's comments made the Cubune's full-page tribute to Chicago's sports announcers.

Of course the whole piece was simply an excuse to trumpet the return of Steve Stone to the Flubbie broadcast booth. I'm guessing Stoney has finally given up his pipedream of owning a baseball team? Waa waa waa, wahhhh wahhhh wahhhh waht!

The bigger surprise is why the Cubune didn't do a full-page spread on "The Comedic Genius of Joe Stephen" after he was dumped by the Sox.

That rag has no shame...

longshot7
08-22-2002, 03:51 AM
I know it's not Chicago baseball-related, but I can't tell you what an amazing time I've had listening to Vin Scully out here the past few years. No matter how bad my day is, I turn on Vinny, and everything is alright again. He's the man.

oldcomiskey
08-22-2002, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I have to go with Jack Drees and Billy Pierce.

And if I can't vote for them there was the great team of Jack Brickhouse and Harry Creighton in the early to mid-'50s. Creighton sounded great after drinking Hamm's through 15 innings or so and then taking over for Brickhouse after the seventh inning stretch in game 2 of a doubleheader.
drees woulve been fine----and he was a master of the englisj language too-----calling fritz peterson the yankee pisser and reveling in the fact that pat kelly made a shoe sting cretch

ode to veeck
08-22-2002, 01:41 PM
Caray/Pirsall are hands down top of the list. Lloyd Petit was another great announcer, even when burdoned with Brickhouse. I used to really give Vin Scully and Dodger Blue fans a hard time, but after 20 years of suffering through the Hawk, I'd find even Vin a welcome reprise.

2nd place is obviously our home brewed team from Sox-N-Roll, I had to turn my laptop volume way down low yesterday here at work, as the colorful language was far from politically correct for today's workplace