PDA

View Full Version : We had a game tonight?

Viva Magglio
08-20-2002, 11:14 PM
I had a ticket to tonight's game and did not go. I was at home tonight, and I barely watched even a minute of tonight's game. Instead, I popped the college football documentary Rites of Autumn in my DVD player and enjoyed the presentation.

A combinaton of things has contributed to my not getting up for White Sox games nowadays. The poor heartless play is a contributing factor, but the looming work stoppage is the biggest reason my interest in baseball has waned. I feel that both owners and players are only interested in waging war against each other while screwing over us the fans, not to mention making it harder for people who work at the ballparks to earn money at virtual minimum wage. Nobody seems to give a damn about them. There are only two people who made note of that: myself in a post a few weeks ago and Mike North's sidekick Fritzy who mentioned it on the Score last Friday.

As I alluded to in the first paragraph, the upcoming college football season is also contributing to my declining interest in baseball. Even though I am expecting nothing from Northwestern this season, I still am exciting about going out to Ryan Field and seeing them play.

This does not change the fact that baseball is still my favorite game and that the White Sox are still my No. 1 sports team against all others in all sports college and professional. Yet, my lack of caring when they lose and play like crap continues to escalate. A loss like this a month ago would have been followed by a FIRE KW/FIRE JM rant from me. Now, I just don't seem to care. Maybe it's a sign that I am tired of my favorite team doing everyting it can to upset me.

GASHWOUND
08-20-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
I had a ticket to tonight's game and did not go. I was at home tonight, and I barely watched even a minute of tonight's game. Instead, I popped the college football documentary Rites of Autumn in my DVD player and enjoyed the presentation.

A combination of things has contributed to my not getting up for White Sox games nowadays. The poor heartless play is a contributing factor, but the looming work stoppage is the biggest reason my interest in baseball has waned. I feel that both owners and players are only interested in waging war against each other while screwing over us the fans, not to mention making it harder for people who work at the ballparks to earn money at virtual minimum wage. Nobody seems to give a damn about them. There are only two people who made note of that: myself in a post a few weeks ago and Mike North's sidekick Fritzy who mentioned it on the Score last Friday.

As I alluded to in the first paragraph, the upcoming college football season is also contributing to my declining interest in baseball. Even though I am expecting nothing from Northwestern this season, I still am exciting about going out to Ryan Field and seeing them play.

This does not change the fact that baseball is still my favorite game and that the White Sox are still my No. 1 sports team against all others in all sports college and professional. Yet, my lack of caring when they lose and play like crap continues to escalate. A loss like this a month ago would have been followed by a FIRE KW/FIRE JM rant from me. Now, I just don't seem to care. Maybe it's a sign that I am tired of my favorite team doing everyting it can to upset me.

It's gotten so bad I would RATHER watch the cubs play than the Sox, and did that..along with playing some PS2..
I switched to the Sox game for the first time in the 6th inning..stayed for a total of 12 seconds and switched the channel..I'm so disgusted that I can't watch..alot of factors are in play for doing this..embarrassment, lack of interest..Watching a Sox game right now is like me watching (dare I say it??) a WNBA game!!
I can't do it!

Like you said, a loss like this a few months ago would have had me throwing a tantrum in my home..but I've lost all emotional feeling for this team long ago..I just chuckel now when I see the final score.
You can even tell J.Hood has lost all emotion for this team..a few weeks ago he would've been yelling at the top of his lungs, when the Sox game was over he just chuckled and said its time for the South Side post game show..
Sad really, really sad

WhiteSox = Life
08-20-2002, 11:39 PM
Unfortunately, I've been getting the same feeling watching the White Sox play anemically. There's no way I'm going to go to the ballpark and spend any sort of money just to watch this team play. And I'm certainly not going to be like a Cubs fan and just go to enjoy the atmosphere and Comiskey altogether. I'm going to support this team if they're doing their best to support my supporting them. Complex, I know, but the foremost truth.

Lately, I've had a lack of interest in watching the White Sox play even on TV. There's no reason to watch them unless Buehrle is pitching and, even then, my attention wavers.

I can't stand the feeling of watching the White Sox "play" and know that once they're down by 2 or 3 runs (even 1 in some cases), that they're not going to overcome the deficit to win. After Minnesota scored 3 runs in the 1st last night, I quit watching; no reason to continue. Sadly, the White Sox are bringing this to the plate for their fans.

No longer do I care to see Maggs bat because it doesn't matter. Same with Paulie, or Big Hurt, Caballo, anybody. I'm not saying they aren't trying. I'm not the one to say. I can only imagine that they are not trying as hard as they can.

When one person quits, everybody follows suit and that's just not how baseball works.

It's not like I don't have better things to do. In fact, earlier in the year, I would pre-empt unimportant stuff to watch the White Sox, e.g. playing games, lying around, doing homework. :smile:

But, lately, I'm doing different stuff. Instead of watching the White Sox on a Sunday Afternoon (While Groovin'), I'm going to the park myself and playing ball with my friends. Now while having fun with my friends is great, there's still that feeling of emptiness all White Sox fans get when not knowing what's going on. Depressing I don't care about the team as much as I used to, yes; brought upon me, by them; yes.

Does this mean I'm quitting being a fan; no. Does this mean I love the White Sox any less; no. Does this mean I could find better outlets for myself: academically, physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually; absolutely yes.

In conlusion, I just can't see giving my heart to a team that doesn't give their heart to me.

voodoochile
08-20-2002, 11:54 PM
If there was a game tonight, no one told the Sox players...

I went to this game and boy did they look like crap. It was more depressing than anything and I left after 7 when it was obvious we were going to let the Twins roll through Chicago without so much as throwing one lousy punch. Remember when the Sox used to play with the kind of intensity the Twins are showing? (sigh...)

My final live game of 2002 from the looks of things. I have tickets for one more in September, but it is looking less and less likely like it will be played. Just hope I don't have to make it my last live Sox game ever.

Oh well, go Rush, go Fire, go Schaumberg Flyers. I may have to say thanks to the players and owners for freeing up my summer nights again, but I really hope I don't have to...

RKMeibalane
08-21-2002, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
I just can't see giving my heart to a team that doesn't give their heart to me.

This statement probably best sums up how everyone on this board feels about the White Sox and this season, in general. Your post is one of the best I've read in a long time.

Daver
08-21-2002, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Oh well, go Rush, go Fire, go Schaumberg Flyers. I may have to say thanks to the players and owners for freeing up my summer nights again, but I really hope I don't have to...

Hell Voodoo,jump on the train and join me for a Jackhammers game,the train station is across the street from the park.

voodoochile
08-21-2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by daver

Hell Voodoo,jump on the train and join me for a Jackhammers game,the train station is across the street from the park.

I have never heard of this team. Do they play in Joliet?

Actually, I have a minor leage team to root for, The A ball Dayton Dragons (an affiliate of the Reds). They have a cool ballpark, a great logo and a real small town feel. I've been to two game, but I keep forgetting my camera (rassum frassum sassum), or I'd post some pictures.

DrCrawdad
08-21-2002, 12:20 AM
I watched part of the game tonight with my wife. After watching that soulless Sox team barely going thru the motions my wife said we should sell our tickets that we have for a few games in Sept. If there is baseball I can’t imagine that I could find a buyer.

I’ve really got to the point where I don’t like that cocky Twins team. They smash HR after HR against the soulless Sox and then rub it in the Sox face. But our Sox team has no heart or balls to retaliate.

DrCrawdad, disgusted Sox fan.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-21-2002, 12:45 AM
Dammit! this is a sad thread! And it is so because everyone that has posted so far is right! It is very painful to watch this team now, especially with the high expectations that a lot of us had for it. Last January when da Bears lost their playoff game against the Eagles, I wasn't too upset, why? because I knew that baseball season was around the corner, and our southsiders were poised for big things. Now, that is all gone. This team sort of makes you feel like when the girl you loved cheats on you.
I currently have weekend season tickets and I am sure that it won't be long before I receive the letter to renew for next season. If there is a strike, I don't think I will.
I still love the game very much, but it is getting harder to watch it with the same passion I once had for it. :(:

TornLabrum
08-21-2002, 01:27 AM
It would be nice if these clowns even looked as if they were trying. Instead, they look like they've even lost all pride in their own individual effort.

Corpseball reigns supreme on the South Side, and to be completely hones, that just plain sucks.

doublem23
08-21-2002, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by daver

Yeah, I went out there Sunday (they lost to St. Paul, like 11-3), and the stadium is nice and what not.

At least the guys pretend to care out there.

WhiteSox = Life
08-21-2002, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

This statement probably best sums up how everyone on this board feels about the White Sox and this season, in general. Your post is one of the best I've read in a long time.

Thank you very much. I really poured my heart and soul into that post because I really felt like I had to get my frustrations out into the open. I am truly grateful there is a place in the vastness of the world wide web where true White Sox fans can really relate to the empathy that seems to encompass this whole society - ever populated as it be.

As you can plainly see, I can be serious, too... well, sometimes. :smile:

duke of dorwood
08-21-2002, 09:04 AM
Not even an attempt to drill that cocky Jacque (Jackie) Jones after 2 HR last night, and his pompous lead off homer last night. If ever there was a sign of a team with no guts leadership, that was it. There is no reason for us to care, but somehow I still do.

RKMeibalane
08-21-2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
It would be nice if these clowns even looked as if they were trying. Instead, they look like they've even lost all pride in their own individual effort.

Corpseball reigns supreme on the South Side, and to be completely hones, that just plain sucks.

Agreed. If there is one word I would use to describe the Sox organization, it would be apathy. From top to bottom, no one seems to care much about what's going on. Everyone from Jerry Reinsdorf to Royce Clayton seems to have given up entirely.

Not that I blame them. The season will be over by next Friday. I have no more confidence in Bud Selig and Donald Fehr's ability to work an agreement than I do in Jerry Manuel's ability to use the same lineup two games in a row.

Dadawg_77
08-21-2002, 10:31 AM
I have stop following the Sox, havn't watched a game in a long time. Basically follow Frank, Paul, Mags, and Carlos and Mark B since I have them on various fantasy teams. I guess that is where I get the time to think up formuals that explain the sox.

soxrme
08-21-2002, 12:03 PM
Your post is the feeling of most Sox fans. The season is just a waste and we will be blamed for lack of attendance, never mind the general apathy and attitude for the fans from owners and players. It just doesn't stop from them. KW was quoted in the Trib today about the budget. How about have a winning team and the fans will come. Did I miss something in 1994 when the park was filled with people and left all of us with a horrible taste in our mouths. SCREW ALL OF THEM - GO ON STRIKE AND STAY THERE. :angry:

Cheryl
08-21-2002, 12:23 PM
I haven't been to a game since May or maybe early June. I quit turning the games on sometime late June, except to catch a score now and then. I quit doing that sometime later, maybe mid July. I took my magnetic schedule from Opening Day off the fridge about the same time. I haven't even worn my Sox jersey this year.

They have worn me down to the point where I just don't freeking care anymore. Go on strike, I don't care. Stay out a couple of years, fine with me. I think I've been to my last major league game. Ever. I said that last time and lasted maybe 15 minutes after they started playing again, but this time, I really don't know if I'll ever get excited about them again.

You guys are the only connection I have with them at all. And if you weren't so entertaining, I'd be doing some work now instead of posting this.

Foulke You
08-21-2002, 05:19 PM
Well, I have tix to Saturday's "marquee matchup" between the Sox and the D-Rays. Some friends from Cheeseland (Wisconsin) are coming in and want some Chinatown Chinese food and catch a game. If it wasn't for the fact that their Brewers are even more pathetic then the Sox, I'd be too embarassed to take them to my park. Of course, if we lose to Tampa I'll never hear the end of it from them. This will probably be my last game of the year :(: and perhaps the last in a long while after Bud Selig and Donald Fehr are done trashing the game I love.

This is the most lifeless, unexciting team since the '95 squad and at least then we had Frank Thomas's offensive show to keep us entertained. Now, we don't even have that. Last year's injured MASH corps showed way more heart then this sad group. I had last night's game on the radio while cleaning my house and I almost turned it off after another 1st inning leadoff homer.