PDA

View Full Version : Rauch returning back to form

Chisox_cali
08-20-2002, 09:28 PM
From ESPN.com's Minor League Report

White Sox- Triple-A right-hander Jon Rauch, considered one of the top prospects in the game after going 16-4 at two levels in 2000 and pitching for the Team USA in the Olympics in 2000, is starting to return to form after his 2001 campaign was ended after six weeks because of shoulder surgery. After starting this season 2-5 with a 5.77 ERA at Charlotte, Rauch has allowed two earned runs or fewer in six of his last seven starts, going 4-2, 2.61 over that span. He matched a franchise record with 11 strikeouts over seven scoreless innings in the Knights' 7-0 triumph over Norfolk on Aug. 10. In his next starts, Rauch allowed two runs and five hits without a walk in a season-high eight innings in a no-decision against Richmond. The 6-11 hurler, the tallest right-handed pitcher in professional baseball, does not bring the same velocity as other hurlers his size. The 23-year-old's fastball tops out in the low 90s, and he complements it with an overhand curveball and changeup. Rauch's ticket to the big leagues is his command and control.

Sounds good to me :)

Iguana775
08-20-2002, 09:40 PM
i wonder how hard it would be for him to use his height a little more to gain some mph on his fastball but still have his control and ability to pitch. although, if he continue to pitch like he has, i wouldnt complain if he didnt gain any mph.

Daver
08-20-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
i wonder how hard it would be for him to use his height a little more to gain some mph on his fastball but still have his control and ability to pitch. although, if he continue to pitch like he has, i wouldnt complain if he didnt gain any mph.

Sox fans and management need to lose the fascination with the radar gun,it is the worst thing that has ever happened to pitching.......

Iguana775
08-20-2002, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by daver

Sox fans and management need to lose the fascination with the radar gun,it is the worst thing that has ever happened to pitching.......

i dont have one. i'd rather have a pitcher than a hurler but i would think that he could be a lot more dominant with a few more mph. but i guess he does have a really good curveball so that would prolly make up for it.

but, anyways, didnt he have a mid 90's fb before the surgery? if he has that, that would be cool. :)

Randar68
08-20-2002, 09:47 PM

i dont have one. i'd rather have a pitcher than a hurler but i would think that he could be a lot more dominant with a few more mph. but i guess he does have a really good curveball so that would prolly make up for it.

but, anyways, didnt he have a mid 90's fb before the surgery? if he has that, that would be cool. :)

Yes, and he will get back to that eventually. He usually had a fastball that sat in the 93-95 mph range.

Daver
08-20-2002, 09:53 PM

He throws on over the top curveball from a 6'11" frame,let the batter learn to deal with that,the velocity on his fastball is secondary.

I would like to see Kirk teach him a cut fastball to add to his arsenal though.

Chisox_cali
08-20-2002, 09:57 PM

He throws on over the top curveball from a 6'11" frame,let the batter learn to deal with that,the velocity on his fastball is secondary.

I would like to see Kirk teach him a cut fastball to add to his arsenal though.

Off the subject, does Jon have to strike as well, even though he only has that month or so of service time?

Daver
08-20-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

Off the subject, does Jon have to strike as well, even though he only has that month or so of service time?

Yep.He is a member of the MLBPA.

Chisox_cali
08-20-2002, 10:05 PM

Yep.He is a member of the MLBPA.

Dammit! I wanted him to get some more starts in AAA

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-20-2002, 10:06 PM

Anyone who says the faster the fastball the better needs to go have a conversation with a certain player who wears no 56 for the White Sox.

guillen4life13
08-20-2002, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND

Anyone who says the faster the fastball the better needs to go have a conversation with a certain player who wears no 56 for the White Sox.

i'll :gulp: to that!