PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Manuel

balboner
08-20-2002, 08:48 PM
This team is horrible, plays crappy baseball, and is completely lifeless. How in the hell does he still have a job? The scary thing is that I think we're realizing how much we'll miss Durham in our lineup. Willie Harris is definitely not ready for the majors.

Daver
08-20-2002, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by balboner
Willie Harris is definitely not ready for the majors.

Neither was Ray Durham when they brought him up.

RKMeibalane
08-20-2002, 09:52 PM
This team is horrible, plays crappy baseball, and is completely lifeless. How in the hell does he still have a job? The scary thing is that I think we're realizing how much we'll miss Durham in our lineup. Willie Harris is definitely not ready for the majors.

If I were you, I would stop calling for Jerry Manuel's head. I agree that his decision making has been poor this season, but I don't think firing him will make things better.

If JM is fired, Kenny Williams will just bring in one of his friends as a replacement. Things will only get worse if that happens.

BuehrleACE56
08-20-2002, 10:21 PM
you cant get much worse than jerry. i'll take my chances with someone else. other managers have lost their jobs this season for less reason than jerry. it's so blatantly obvious that the guy is a moron. i know our organization is screwed up, but gosh

GASHWOUND
08-20-2002, 10:57 PM

"Horrible, crappy, lifeless.." Well you just described the Sox good points.

JM aint going anywhere.

And our offense sucked
with Durham in it, so what's the difference? The only reason I didn't like the trade is cause we didn't get anyone for him..And Durham isn't really tearing it up in OAK..He's like 3 for his last 20 or something..

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-20-2002, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

If I were you, I would stop calling for Jerry Manuel's head. I agree that his decision making has been poor this season, but I don't think firing him will make things better.

If JM is fired, Kenny Williams will just bring in one of his friends as a replacement. Things will only get worse if that happens.

I really don't think any of KW's friends have anymore balls than JM. They'd walk all over any KW hire like he was a sidewalk.

MarkEdward
08-20-2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by daver

Neither was Ray Durham when they brought him up.

And even Durham put up a .693 OPS in his rookie season. Harris has a stirring .464 OPS in 80 ABs. I don't think he should have led off as soon as he was called up.

TornLabrum
08-21-2002, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

And even Durham put up a .693 OPS in his rookie season. Harris has a stirring .464 OPS in 80 ABs. I don't think he should have led off as soon as he was called up.

And that's why you're not managing and Gen. Disarray is. You have common sense!

MarkEdward
08-21-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

And that's why you're not managing and Gen. Disarray is. You have common sense!

I'm beginning to think that we should have kept Durham for the rest or the year, and taken the draft pick. Harris should've spent the whole year in AAA (he only had a .234 ML EQA at Charlotte).

voodoochile
08-21-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

I'm beginning to think that we should have kept Durham for the rest or the year, and taken the draft pick. Harris should've spent the whole year in AAA (he only had a .234 ML EQA at Charlotte).

I keep hearing this draft pick thing thrown around. I thought you had to offer a player arbitration to get the draft pick. Since the Sox clearly would NOT have offered Ray arbitration, they wouldn't have received that pick.

Which is correct, do you get the draft pick everytime you lose a top notch FA, or only when you offer the player arbitration.

Yes, I realize there may not be arbitration in the new CBA, or at least a greatly reworked version of it, but assume the current labor situation exists (God help us all) what would be the result of the Sox letting Ray walk away?

Dadawg_77
08-21-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

I keep hearing this draft pick thing thrown around. I thought you had to offer a player arbitration to get the draft pick. Since the Sox clearly would NOT have offered Ray arbitration, they wouldn't have received that pick.

Which is correct, do you get the draft pick everytime you lose a top notch FA, or only when you offer the player arbitration.

Yes, I realize there may not be arbitration in the new CBA, or at least a greatly reworked version of it, but assume the current labor situation exists (God help us all) what would be the result of the Sox letting Ray walk away?

You need to offer arbitration. If the player accepts it is binding, I think. I am not sure if the club can take back the offer after the player accepts. This was not a problem til last year, when the market began a correction, and players took arbitration instead of just refusing and hitting the open market.

Lip Man 1
08-21-2002, 02:01 PM
It doesn't matter not a wit if Willie Harris is ready for the majors or not...

He works cheap and that's the bottom line with this gutless organization.

Lip