Maggs
Paulie
Frank
Crede
MJ
Harris

Jerry_Manuel
08-20-2002, 06:43 PM
Your post title makes it sound like your surprised. We're 125 or whatever the hell it is now, into this thing. We should be used to it by now.

Harris is in a slump. I don't really have a problem putting him in a situation where he doesn't have a lot of pressure to hit.

Chisox_cali
08-20-2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Your post title makes it sound like your surprised. We're 125 or whatever the hell it is now, into this thing. We should be used to it by now.

Harris is in a slump. I don't really have a problem putting him in a situation where he doesn't have a lot of pressure to hit.

Well it's just a funny title :smile: I am expecting it.

RKMeibalane
08-20-2002, 07:25 PM
:jerry

"I love to tinker. It's the best part of being a manager. Tomorrow, I am going to put Royce Clayton in the cleanup spot."

BuehrleACE56
08-20-2002, 07:43 PM
aaron seemed to be finding a groove hitting number 2 and now he's leading off. a whole different spot and new mindset. way to mess with his head jer. i expect this crap now, but it still pisses me off. why can't he stick with a set lineup for at least a series? i mean is that too much to ask. but every night? how do u expect anyone to show what they got or get in a groove when they dont know when or where or why they're playing. grrrrr :angry:

RKMeibalane
08-20-2002, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by BuehrleACE56
aaron seemed to be finding a groove hitting number 2 and now he's leading off. a whole different spot and new mindset. way to mess with his head jer. i expect this crap now, but it still pisses me off. why can't he stick with a set lineup for at least a series? i mean is that too much to ask. but every night? how do u expect anyone to show what they got or get in a groove when they dont know when or where or why they're playing. grrrrr :angry:

I shudder when thinking about what may happen next season. There's no reason to believe Manuel will stop doing this once the season ends. He may continue to tinker with the lineup next year as well.

Chisox_cali
08-20-2002, 09:38 PM
Wow! Look how that line-up worked tonight!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

:firejerry

Iguana775
08-20-2002, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Wow! Look how that line-up worked tonight!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

:firejerry

"Never doubt the master of tinkering...."

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-20-2002, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

I shudder when thinking about what may happen next season. There's no reason to believe Manuel will stop doing this once the season ends. He may continue to tinker with the lineup next year as well.

That's provided there is a next season.

BuehrleACE56
08-20-2002, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND

That's provided there is a next season.

although it would put me out of the misery of watching our organization continue to flounder and KW, JM, Reinsdorf etc. ruin our team, i would miss baseball if there was none altogether. that prospect is a very scary thought for the game itself.

voodoochile
08-20-2002, 11:16 PM
To parapharse one of the most famous saying in MLB history...

"Tinker forever, no chance"

Twins8791
08-21-2002, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

"Tinker forever, no chance"
LOL!

PaleHoseGeorge
08-21-2002, 02:50 AM

You know what is funny? I expect Manuel to make up a new lineup card every day this winter all the way till next season begins.

:gulp:

"You've got to stay in shape in the off-season!"

doublem23
08-21-2002, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

You know what is funny? I expect Manuel to make up a new lineup card every day this winter all the way till next season begins.

:gulp:

"You've got to stay in shape in the off-season!"

That actually might explain why in April (when the Sox were winning, though, entirely coincidental, of course), Jerry stuck with that lineup... Didn't do enough exercise last off-season and he just couldn't take the pressure at the show to perform day-in and day-out the way we all expected him too. He needed that extended Spring Training to get back into shape.

Damn you, carpal tunnel syndrome!

:cool:

Oh God, this team sucks.

RedPinStripes
08-21-2002, 02:56 AM
I attended this disgusting display of "bring your "A" game. I walked in, looked a the LF scoreboard and the first thing that came to mind was "What the **** is he smoking now?" I'm sure it will get even more creative by next week.

I don't have much more time to tinker! Gotta get movin here.

RKMeibalane
08-21-2002, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I attended this disgusting display of "bring your "A" game. I walked in, looked a the LF scoreboard and the first thing that came to mind was "What the **** is he smoking now?" I'm sure it will get even more creative by next week.

I don't have much more time to tinker! Gotta get movin here.

I don't understand why Manuel keeps doing this. If you look at the most successful managers in baseball (Torre, Cox, LaRussa, Baker, Pinella, etc.), you will see that barring any major trades or injuries, they tend use the same lineup each game. When they do make an adjustment, they stick with it for a few days to see how it works. They don't change something every day like JM.

ChiSoxBobette
08-21-2002, 03:08 PM
Why is Manuel taking Willie Harris out of the #1 spot in the lineup? I thought Willie was/is our leadoff man of the future let him play and bat #1 enough of the changing of the lineup already has'nt that done enough damage this year without now putting doubts in Harris's mind. Let him learn the spot and how to hit in it. What we might drop farther behind the twinkies in the standings!
Manuel Just Remain Asleep On The Bench Stop Waking Up And Trying To Be The Manager Now Of All Times!
:angry: :angry:

Jerry_Manuel
08-21-2002, 04:36 PM
Harris doesn't have a problem with this, yet everyone else does.

Manuel moved Harris from his usual leadoff spot to No. 9 in the batting order in the wake of Harris' recent 4-for-38 (.105) slump.

"He didn't have to explain anything to me," Harris said. "I know I was struggling. Things have been tough for me lately. I'm not playing like I can offensively, and I don't know how to fix it."

Harris has been taking extra batting practice and working with hitting coach Gary Ward, but it isn't like Ward has been a miracle worker this season by any means.

"I need to get back to being Willie," Harris continued. "I need to get back to bunting and putting the ball on the ground. That's my game. I need to do what I did in the spring ... start from scratch."
"It takes a little pressure off (Harris)," Manuel said of the move. "Certainly, he's going to eventually be that (leadoff) guy, but we'll try and get him going down there."

Manuel was asked whether he was disappointed with the heir apparent to former second baseman Ray Durham, and he quickly dispelled that notion.

"Not at all," Manuel said. "I think he's playing extremely well. Using his tools would benefit him more (at the plate), but they're playing him for that.

"He's played a great defense. Better than I anticipated. The experience he's gaining right now is tremendous. With the time we have left, we'll see if he can handle the offense. That will be the telltale sign."

Jerry_Manuel
08-21-2002, 04:41 PM

Depends on what moves the Sox make, and if there is a season.

Harris might be in center with Hummel at 2nd. Maybe Jiminez is up and splits time with Jose.

I don't know. Maybe they'll wipe out next year to, and we won't have to worry about all this lineup crap.

voodoochile
08-21-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Harris doesn't have a problem with this, yet everyone else does.

I don't have a problem with it, in fact last night I was happy when I saw him batting 9th. I know that Rowand isn't a long term solution in the leadoff spot, but this season is shot anyway, so the best we can do is try to develop some players and figure out what to do next year...

Jerry_Manuel
08-21-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
That actually might explain why in April (when the Sox were winning, though, entirely coincidental, of course), Jerry stuck with that lineup...

Good thing Kenny Lofton and Ray Durham were in their usual spots every day, they were really getting the job done for us.

Jerry_Manuel
08-21-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I don't have a problem with it, in fact last night I was happy when I saw him batting 9th. I know that Rowand isn't a long term solution in the leadoff spot, but this season is shot anyway, so the best we can do is try to develop some players and figure out what to do next year...

Rowand isn't a long term answer for anything.

Harris was doing the team nor himself any good at the lead off spot at this point.