PDA

View Full Version : Pick the 2016 White Sox TV Broadcast Team

Brian26
06-01-2015, 08:24 PM
Poll attached. Four options.

jdm2662
06-01-2015, 08:47 PM
I picked none of the above because Swirsky is not a realistic option since he's the Bulls PBP guy. A real PBP guy paired with Stone sounds good to me. I can easily see Hawk and Rowand because that's exactly what Hawk wants. And, I don't see JR removing him from the booth, sadly.

chicagowhitesox1
06-01-2015, 09:00 PM
Is Stone leaving? I would take Stone and Swirskey.

Marqhead
06-01-2015, 09:09 PM
I would love for them to clean house.

Andrew C White
06-01-2015, 09:18 PM
Swirsky and Baines... that way Swirsky can spend his time covering his lack of knowledge about the game asking Harold questions to draw out his one word analysis answers.

Brian26
06-01-2015, 09:24 PM
Swirsky and Baines... that way Swirsky can spend his time covering his lack of knowledge about the game asking Harold questions to draw out his one word analysis answers.

Churck Swirsky: "So, Harold, this question comes on Twitter from Bill in Elmhurst. What was your favorite game memory during your years with the White Sox? Was it the sac fly to clinch the AL Western Division Title in 1983 against Seattle? Was it the walk-off homer against the Brewers in 1984 to end the 25-inning marathon game? Was it the two walkoff homer games in 1996 against John Wetteland and the eventual World Champion Yankees?"

Harold: "Evidently!"

ricker182
06-01-2015, 10:11 PM
Me an Lip could take over.

If not Lip then me and Hawkaroo!

doublem23
06-01-2015, 10:58 PM
Anybody but Hawk and a churro

Noneck
06-01-2015, 11:08 PM
Before sundays game Rich King talked to Geoff Blum. Blum appears to be working I believe mostly away games for houston. Im sure he would come to the Sox in a heartbeat. Thats my guess, unfortunately the carnival barker will stay and be with Blum.

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2015, 11:09 PM
I really hope they keep Stone and find a way to get Hawk the hell out of the booth, but I suspect it will be Hawk and Rowand.

Boondock Saint
06-01-2015, 11:12 PM
I jumped the gun and voted Swirsky and Stone before I saw none of the above.

Also, churros.

BainesHOF
06-01-2015, 11:15 PM
I've been a strong backer of Hawk for years, but he needs to be removed from the booth as soon as possible. While Swirskey is no baseball announcer, the fact that he was still an enjoyable listen with Stone is an indication of just how bad of a drag Hawk has become on the broadcasts.

Personally, I'd like to see both booths cleaned out with the exception of Jackson, who tells it like it is. On Sunday, he called out Cabrera for being off PEDs and Eaton for not bunting more. Such honesty is refreshing.

chicagowhitesox1
06-01-2015, 11:21 PM
I've been a strong backer of Hawk for years, but he needs to be removed from the booth as soon as possible. While Swirskey is no baseball announcer, the fact that he was still an enjoyable listen with Stone is an indication of just how bad of a drag Hawk has become on the broadcasts.

Personally, I'd like to see both booths cleaned out with the exception of Jackson, who tells it like it is. On Sunday, he called out Cabrera for being off PEDs and Eaton for not bunting more. Such honesty is refreshing.

What exactly did he say about Cabrera and PEDS? I'm actually surprised he would say anything like that, especially after what happened to Jack Clark when he accused Pujols a few years back.

Church Turtle
06-01-2015, 11:38 PM
I like Stone. He's versatile/tolerant enough to work with anyone. So, I'm still hoping for a complete unknown and Stoney. And I voted for None of the Above, but would have voted for churros if it had been an option

slavko
06-02-2015, 12:10 AM
Looks like a landslide. We are men and women with good taste.

TheVulture
06-02-2015, 02:02 AM
What exactly did he say about Cabrera and PEDS? I'm actually surprised he would say anything like that, especially after what happened to Jack Clark when he accused Pujols a few years back. completely different scenarios. Cabrera was busted and missed the World Series during an mvp caliber season while Clark's claims regarding Pujols were unsubstantiated. There's no denying Cabrera used PEDs.

eastchicagosoxfan
06-02-2015, 04:08 AM
Hawk has been great for the Sox in that he's provided a distinctive, and for me, entertaining voice to Sox telecasts.
I'm tired of Hawk.
Talking over people.
Seven decades in the game.
The unbridled hyperbole (Little Hurt could hit 20-25 homeruns?)
Everything was better when I played.
He knew Ted Williams.
He was a teammate of Yaz's.
Steve Dalkowski, whose velocity has increased over the years (110MPH+?)

He needs to retire. Or, give him a ventriloquist's dummy, and he can do a one person monologue with multiple personalities doing play by play and analysis.

LoveYourSuit
06-02-2015, 07:00 AM
Dave Wills is stuck doing radio in TB.

TV would be a huge promotion. Bring the guy back home.

ChiSoxGal85
06-02-2015, 07:21 AM
I don't have the knowledge to guess at who the pair might be, but I don't think the Sox have found the right combination yet.

Hawk has been doing this for so long, and played the game so long ago, he can't help but repeat himself. It's no different than that older relative who tells the same stories every Thanksgiving. I don't fault him for that, but it's time for someone new.

Stone has some good insight - when he's allowed to share it. However, I don't think he'll stay if Hawk is still here.

Rowand showed some promise, but I don't think he's ready. Swirsky was ok but I don't think he'll be the one.

Tom Paciorek was pretty good a couple times that he filled last season. Not sure if he's doing something else or is even interested in doing full time broadcasting.

I think it will be Stone and churros. :smile:

KingXerxes
06-02-2015, 07:21 AM
Ken Harrelson has always been more interested in developing the "Hawk Brand" than anything else. Give him a gold watch, throw him a party and say goodbye.

Keep Stone, get a neutral play by play guy and watch the White Sox gain in popularity in the years to come. The White Sox are a Major League franchise, and they need to broadcast their games like one.

Irishsox1
06-02-2015, 09:16 AM
I'm for Uecker and Costas.

After a batter hits a small dribbler foul with a lot of spin....

Costas: "That ball had more spin on it than Mr. Belvedere!".
Uecker: Laughs

Me: Fall on the floor laughing.

jdm2662
06-02-2015, 09:21 AM
Ken Harrelson has always been more interested in developing the "Hawk Brand" than anything else. Give him a gold watch, throw him a party and say goodbye.

Keep Stone, get a neutral play by play guy and watch the White Sox gain in popularity in the years to come. The White Sox are a Major League franchise, and they need to broadcast their games like one.

Don't forget his statue and banner. You know he will get those since he is such a Sox legend...

WSox597
06-02-2015, 10:18 AM
I'll bet his statue is sculpted with its mouth open, since it's almost always open in real life.

I also voted for none of the above. I would be just fine with Stone and somebody else with a pulse. I enjoy Stone as an announcer, and he does know the game.

I also enjoyed listening to Tom Paciorek, maybe he could come back and work with Stone. At least it would be listenable again. Plus he meets the all important "played for the Sox" criteria. And this hitter and a pitcher thing that Hawk mentioned a while back.

The radio team needs to be revamped as well. Farmer is brutal. You can listen for 10 minutes and never hear the score on occasion. Jackson is a personable guy, but probably not the 'lead dog' kind of guy.

chicagowhitesox1
06-02-2015, 10:36 AM
completely different scenarios. Cabrera was busted and missed the World Series during an mvp caliber season while Clark's claims regarding Pujols were unsubstantiated. There's no denying Cabrera used PEDs.

I thought he was talking about Miguel Cabrera, I didn't realize he was talking about Melky Cabrera.

Moses_Scurry
06-02-2015, 10:37 AM
I have no idea who the people should be, but I'd like someone new. Somebody who's strength of calling the game gets them the job and not the fact that they used to play for the Sox. I wouldn't mind a former player being the color guy, but I wouldn't have a problem with an unknown doing the PBP and building a following.

Lip Man 1
06-02-2015, 10:58 AM
Dave Wills is stuck doing radio in TB.

TV would be a huge promotion. Bring the guy back home.

Not going to happen. Dave LOVES it in Tampa, has a daughter in college at South Florida and is doing very well there.

Lip

harwar
06-02-2015, 11:12 AM
If they could pair Steve Stone with a play by play guy, who is intelligent and articulate, and knows the game, but doesn't spend most of the broadcast talking about himself, then i would be a happy White Sox fan .. the only reason that i order the premium on mlb.com, is so that i can turn to the opposing teams broadcast, when i just can't stand to hear another word come out of Hawk's mouth .. that being said, Stone is getting old, and although i really doubt that he's ready to retire, i wouldn't be surprised if he took a job somewhere closer to his home, when his contract is up..

jdm2662
06-02-2015, 11:32 AM
Not going to happen. Dave LOVES it in Tampa, has a daughter in college at South Florida and is doing very well there.

Lip

Yes, this has been mentioned many times. Just like John Rooney leaving for St. Louis. The ship has sailed. Let's focus on the future, and hopefully that means no more Hawk.

PaleHoser
06-02-2015, 02:33 PM
I'd much prefer an upgrade on the radio side. Ed Farmer is not a professional play-by-play guy, and I can't listen to him at all. I usually end up just turning the game off.

I think Darrin Jackson has proven to be an engaging analyst of the Fox broadcasts when he's paired with a good play-by-play guy. It would be interesting to see what he could do with a real professional on a daily basis.

A good radio team would at least provide a choice between radio and Hawk even if the game is on TV. Right now I don't have that choice.

ricker182
06-02-2015, 06:31 PM
I'm confused why people want a neutral commentator. I like the homerism.

Maximo
06-02-2015, 07:45 PM
I believe the next good Sox broadcaster will be someone we haven't heard of at present time.

Problem is.......neither has Jerry Reinsdorf.

KingXerxes
06-02-2015, 08:01 PM

I know I used the term neutral in a prior post, but, to be honest, there is no such thing as a truly neutral play by play announcer outside of network guys. Whoever the White Sox hire will do the play by play as one would expect - getting a bit more excited over good things, and a bit less so when things don't go well. So realistically, the play by play guy will exhibit some "bias" as all play by play guys do.

That all being said, I absolutely don't want a "homer" anywhere near the embarrassing level which Harrelson exhibits. Couple this with his "I've been around this game for seven decades" routine, and top it off with his "Tony Grafanino goes into second base harder than anybody in this league" schtick, compounded by his "tales of the never existent past" and you've got an insufferable know it all homer who makes watching a game seem like a second job.

Just get a play by play professional - no former White Sox player, no color guy switching over to play by play and no retread from the past.

Boondock Saint
06-02-2015, 09:06 PM

It's not about being neutral. It's about Hawk being little more than a Hawk soundboard (Yaz, Ted Williams, can of corn, hang wiffum, Matt Abbatacola, HE GONE, STRETCH, right size wrong shape, ducksnort, don't stop now boys, he got a cookie and couldn't do anything with it, MERCY, DADGUMMIT, ball four base hit right here, making him throw the ball in a teacup) on his best day, and infuriating on his worst (bitching incessantly about balls and strikes, complete silence when the Sox are down, being short with Stone when he's pissed, etc...).

He makes you want to change the channel no matter what's happening on the field.

ricker182
06-02-2015, 09:09 PM
It's not about being neutral. It's about Hawk being little more than a Hawk soundboard (Yaz, Ted Williams, can of corn, hang wiffum, Matt Abbatacola, HE GONE, STRETCH, right size wrong shape, ducksnort, don't stop now boys, he got a cookie and couldn't do anything with it, MERCY, DADGUMMIT, ball four base hit right here, making him throw the ball in a teacup) on his best day, and infuriating on his worst (bitching incessantly about balls and strikes, complete silence when the Sox are down, being short with Stone when he's pissed, etc...).

He makes you want to change the channel no matter what's happening on the field.

Not me. I think Hawk has been fun.
He's a little over the hill, but they're starting to phase him out.

I guess I'm in the minority that likes Hawk.

soxnut67
06-02-2015, 09:14 PM
I like him too, but he is repeating himself way too much and doesn't seem to have anything new to offer. Ive liked Hawk since his first go around with the Sox in the early 80s but im OK with him being replaced only if they hire a Dave Wills type.

KingXerxes
06-02-2015, 09:28 PM
Watching the game right now. Even losing 11-2 Swirsky and Stone, realizing the game is a blowout, are adding a bit of levity to the broadcast (something about Gallo washing the uniforms after the game). This is precisely what has been missing for thirty years. Nobody died - it's just a lousy game.

So much better than hearing about how six of Texas' runs should never have scored.......every single inning.

KingXerxes
06-02-2015, 09:32 PM
:farmer

"What is King Xerxes talking about? We're only down nine runs! A single, walk, double, walk, single, triple, single, catcher's interference and a blast away from tying this game up!"

:DJ

"Uh.......we're ten down now."

"Ok - add hit by pitch to that string and keep the line moving."

voodoochile
06-02-2015, 09:37 PM

"What is King Xerxes talking about? We're only down nine runs! A single, walk, double, walk, single, triple, single, catcher's interference and a long one away from tying this game up!"

:DJ

"Uh.......we're ten down now."

"Ok - add hit by pitch to that string and keep the line moving."

At last. I kept checking this thread whenever the King would post but all I kept seeing was analysis and rational posting. Thank you,Xerxes for making me smile...

Boondock Saint
06-02-2015, 09:43 PM

"What is King Xerxes talking about? We're only down nine runs! A single, walk, double, walk, single, triple, single, catcher's interference and a long one away from tying this game up!"

No "bloops" or "blasts" in that post, that is not authentic Farmio.

KingXerxes
06-02-2015, 10:03 PM
No "bloops" or "blasts" in that post, that is not authentic Farmio.

Fixed.

smac38
06-03-2015, 10:38 AM
I also enjoyed listening to Tom Paciorek, maybe he could come back and work with Stone. At least it would be listenable again. Plus he meets the all important "played for the Sox" criteria. And this hitter and a pitcher thing that Hawk mentioned a while back.

Love me some Wimpy. As much as I dislike Hawk, those two work pretty well together.

With that said, there's no way Hawk is leaving the booth, unless he's dead.

As others have said, pair Stone with a real play by play guy and you have a good combo. Stone obviously has some great insight when given the chance to speak, as shown this week with Swirsky. While the twitter question segments are kind of dragged out, it shows how much knowledge Stone can really bring to a broadcast.

russ99
06-03-2015, 11:08 AM
When it's time for Hawk to hang it up, I hope they bring in some younger quality talent from elsewhere, like how Tampa raided us for Willis.

I won't watch games with the TV sound on if Stone is leading the broadcast. With no Hawk to curtail him, he's even worse.

Broadcasters are there to keep the fans entertained and engaged in the game. Stone does neither with his tone of voice and "know-it-all" on-air persona.

SaltyPretzel
06-03-2015, 11:23 AM
Ron Kittle and Dave Wills.