PDA

View Full Version : Matt Davidson

LITTLE NELL
06-01-2015, 06:55 PM
Is it time to give him a shot? Batting .239, 9 HRs and 31 RBIs, .753 OPS at Charlotte.

cards press box
06-01-2015, 07:02 PM
I would like to see Davidson's batting average a little higher before the Sox call him up. The power is good, though. And the Sox do seem a little short on pop.

Lip Man 1
06-01-2015, 07:06 PM
Given the alternatives what do they have to lose?

Lip

LITTLE NELL
06-01-2015, 07:16 PM
I'd start him off in a platoon with Gillaspie.

voodoochile
06-01-2015, 08:09 PM
Everybody gets upset when the Sox rush prospects and now you want to pull a guy who's got a .239 batting average up The Show?

Can we at least see if the Sox can make a run back into playoff contention before that happens or just throw caution to the wind and start griping if the guy donks out of the majors in 18 months?

Sorry, this is a bad idea, IMO. Leave him alone let him have his success. If the Sox are out of contention in the second half and he's doing well, then call him up and let him get his feet wet. There's always September anyway.

Brian26
06-01-2015, 08:14 PM
I would like to see Davidson's batting average a little higher before the Sox call him up. The power is good, though. And the Sox do seem a little short on pop.

Based on recent history, I'm afraid to know what the .239 average at AAA Charlotte translates to in the American League.

Brian26
06-01-2015, 08:22 PM
Andy Wilkins at Charlotte: .293, 30 HR
Andy Wilkins in Chicago: .149, 0 HR

Carlos Sanchez at Charlotte: .344, 2 HR
Carlos Sanchez at Chicago: .185, 0 HR

Matt Davidson at Charlotte: .239, 9 HR
Matt Davidson at Chicago: ?

soxfanreggie
06-01-2015, 08:52 PM
Given the alternatives what do they have to lose?

Lip

I say give him a shot here if we can't find another option. Maybe a few changes will spark things on offense and he'll provide some XBHs. On defense, I think he'd definitely be an upgrade.

Harry Potter
06-01-2015, 08:54 PM
Andy Wilkins at Charlotte: .293, 30 HR
Andy Wilkins in Chicago: .149, 0 HR

Carlos Sanchez at Charlotte: .344, 2 HR
Carlos Sanchez at Chicago: .185, 0 HR

Matt Davidson at Charlotte: .239, 9 HR
Matt Davidson at Chicago: ?

Andy Wilkins

http://themightierpen.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/nauseous.png

ricker182
06-01-2015, 09:20 PM
I think we whiffed on Davidson and I think Gillaspie is better.

kittle42
06-01-2015, 09:25 PM
His numbers inspire little confidence and he's no defensive whiz. Pass, as the Sox should have done when he was offered.

Andrew C White
06-01-2015, 09:32 PM
Is it time to give him a shot? Batting .239, 9 HRs and 31 RBIs, .753 OPS at Charlotte.

No, I don't think so. I don't see much in his numbers to suggest he is a major league hitter.

I see he has started to draw some walks which is good. 20 in 49 games, most of them (15) this month so that is an improvement. But he hit .260 in April and he is hitting .226 in May so that is not.

He also has 67 K's in 49 games or 212 plate appearances which works out to pi. He strikes out once every 3.14 times he walks to the plate... in AAA... against the likes of Eric Surkamp, Donnie Veal, Scott Carroll, Brad Penny, etc.

His splits show he can't hit righties at all. He's under the Mendoza line there so the best he could be is a platoon with Gillespie and his defense is not supposed to be his strong suit... though he only has 1 error so far this year.

I don't think he is ready. And with this being his third year at AAA... I don't think he is going to be ready... ever. He is definitely not a better option in a platoon than Beckham who at least plays excellent defense when he is in there.

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2015, 11:11 PM
This team doesn't need any more low average guys in the lineup.

Noneck
06-01-2015, 11:14 PM
Charlotte is a band box , I dont think those power numbers mean much.

JB98
06-02-2015, 01:51 AM
I can't think of a single good reason to call him up. Not even one.

kittle42
06-02-2015, 02:04 AM
I can't think of a single good reason to call him up. Not even one.

Agreed. I think it's just a case of "Look at the AAA roster and pick a name of someone maybe doing well lately" combined with "Anyone is better than what we have."

Neither of those is a good approach. Both is often a disaster worse than the disaster a team already has.

TDog
06-02-2015, 05:25 AM
I say give him a shot here if we can't find another option. Maybe a few changes will spark things on offense and he'll provide some XBHs. On defense, I think he'd definitely be an upgrade.

Gillaspie and Beckham actually are better options than Davidson. Davidson still makes too little contact at AAA. The last I looked, he led the International League in home runs, but also led the International League in strikeouts while hitting under .240. That's an American League offensive black hole waiting for a callup.

Dan H
06-02-2015, 08:26 AM
I am not one for doing something just for the sake of doing it. I don't know much about Davidson first hand, but a .239 average doesn't impress. What does impress me is that he might not be the prospect the Sox thought he was.

veeter
06-02-2015, 08:47 AM
The Gillaspie/ Beckham combo is pretty damn effective. One is a good hitter, the other a defensive whiz. This is hardly the Sox biggest problem IMO.

XplodingScorbord
06-02-2015, 09:19 AM
Someone tell me where Gillaspie/Beckham are costing us games. This team has bigger issues than 3B right now.

--Need to get the top 2/3 of the lineup hitting consistently.
--Need Shark and Sale to pitch like aces (almost) every time out.

Do those two things and I think this team can make a run at the wild card, despite whatever deficiencies remain elsewhere. No team is an all-star team. Everyone has some gaps on their roster. We're no exception. Improve in a couple of areas and this team might win 84 games.

Domeshot17
06-02-2015, 09:20 AM
The Gillaspie/ Beckham combo is pretty damn effective. One is a good hitter, the other a defensive whiz. This is hardly the Sox biggest problem IMO.

Which one is the good hitter?

Domeshot17
06-02-2015, 09:21 AM
Someone tell me where Gillaspie/Beckham are costing us games. This team has bigger issues than 3B right now.

Do those two things and I think this team can make a run at the wild card, despite whatever deficiencies remain elsewhere. No team is an all-star team. Everyone has some gaps on their roster. We're no exception. Improve in a couple of areas and this team might win 84 games.

Ive been fine with Shark and Sale. You take away that horrid outing in Baltimore and Jeff has some very good numbers. Sale is coming around. To me, Quintana is the disappointment. Got the big deal, and now looks like the pitcher everyone was scared he really was.

XplodingScorbord
06-02-2015, 09:28 AM
Ive been fine with Shark and Sale. You take away that horrid outing in Baltimore and Jeff has some very good numbers. Sale is coming around. To me, Quintana is the disappointment. Got the big deal, and now looks like the pitcher everyone was scared he really was.

I dunno, when you can pretty much count on your offense scoring zero or one runs every time you start, maybe you pitch "tight".

ChiSoxNationPres
06-02-2015, 10:25 AM

Pitching is not the problem right now. They flat out can't score runs. Going forward with Sale, Shark, Q, Rodon is going to be well above average to the other AL teams. Danks will give you an occasional QS.

They need to fix the black holes offensively at 2b and C. Then the top 3 in the order need to just be their usual selves. As poorly as they have been the first portion of the season, we are not too far out of reach of the WC and the division.

Lip Man 1
06-02-2015, 11:00 AM

I recently saw where in six of his starts the Sox scored him zero or one run. Hard to win anything with that kind of support.

Lip

kufram
06-02-2015, 11:14 AM
Bringing Davidson up to replace Gillaspie would make people miss Gillaspie pretty soon I reckon. There is no one fixable problem that is going to make this season successful.

We need several players to return to their normal batting performances. The laws of big numbers say that should happen but there are no guarantees. For that to happen hitters would have to go on hitting streaks to balance it up. Again, no guarantees but I would not be surprised if the hitting comes around. If that turns out to be the case then we have a chance.

harwar
06-02-2015, 11:19 AM
I don't want to see Matt Davidson until September..

JB98
06-02-2015, 12:19 PM
Agreed. I think it's just a case of "Look at the AAA roster and pick a name of someone maybe doing well lately" combined with "Anyone is better than what we have."

Neither of those is a good approach. Both is often a disaster worse than the disaster a team already has.

It seems to me the mentality of some fans is, "It can't get any worse," and "You have to try some different."

My response to that is, "Yes, it can," and "No, you don't."

You try something different if there's a legitimate alternative available. A guy batting .240 in AAA with a bunch of strikeouts is not worthy of a callup.

I don't think fans fully comprehend how big of a jump it is from AAA to the big leagues. If a player is struggling to make contact in AAA, he's going to get eaten alive by major league pitchers.

kittle42
06-02-2015, 12:58 PM
I don't think fans fully comprehend how big of a jump it is from AAA to the big leagues. If a player is struggling to make contact in AAA, he's going to get eaten alive by major league pitchers.

You're definitely right, and I think this is true even moreso for fans who really only follow their own favorite team and are not that familiar with everyone in the rest of baseball.

Domeshot17
06-02-2015, 01:10 PM
I recently saw where in six of his starts the Sox scored him zero or one run. Hard to win anything with that kind of support.

Lip

True but a 4.33 ERA, 1.36 whip and .274 opponents average is hardly being a tough luck loser. He has to be better than league average

doublem23
06-02-2015, 01:28 PM
Charlotte is a band box , I dont think those power numbers mean much.

The old stadium in Fort Mill was definitely a bandbox, does the new downtown Knights Park play the same way? Haven't read much on it, either way

rdivaldi
06-02-2015, 01:37 PM
The old stadium in Fort Mill was definitely a bandbox, does the new downtown Knights Park play the same way? Haven't read much on it, either way

Believe it or not, the new stadium plays even smaller than the old one. Park factor for home runs in 2014 was a whopping 166. Davidson's OPS were not all that disparate in 2014, but in 2015 he's over 100 points higher at home.

Andrew C White
06-02-2015, 02:18 PM

Well... while I agree with your overall point... there was a game a week back where it was still fairly early so Gillespie was in at third and Beckham was on the bench. The other team hit a grounder that went under Gillespie's glove that Beckham would have snagged for a double play once he was in later in the game. Gillespie missing it lead to the other team scoring the winning run.

So it is a problem area but I agree it is not the worst... **cough** **cough** **flowers** **cough** **cough** ... and Davidson certainly is NOT the answer.

Andrew C White
06-02-2015, 02:22 PM
Pitching is not the problem right now. They flat out can't score runs. Going forward with Sale, Shark, Q, Rodon is going to be well above average to the other AL teams. Danks will give you an occasional QS.

They need to fix the black holes offensively at 2b and C. Then the top 3 in the order need to just be their usual selves. As poorly as they have been the first portion of the season, we are not too far out of reach of the WC and the division.

I would reverse that. The top 5 in the order need to be solid offensively first and foremost. Without that this team is lucky to be as successful as it has been. The holes at catcher and second and third can be lived with if 1-5 are doing their jobs well and consistently. They aren't and it doesn't matter if we upgrade catcher and second and third. They just become more glaring for the lack of offense elsewhere.

Mohoney
06-02-2015, 02:28 PM
If Davidson would have had a solid month in May, then I would have wanted him brought up. Instead, he regressed again in May after a solid April. Maybe if he can stack two solid months together in June and July, and either Beckham or Gillaspie gets traded, then we might see him play out the rest of the season up here.