05-31-2015, 03:53 PM
Danks very much, John.

Tragg
05-31-2015, 03:54 PM
Johnny D, taking it home.

Nice

voodoochile
05-31-2015, 03:56 PM
Got some good help from his defense and his offense. Great team effort to win the series.

TheVulture
05-31-2015, 03:59 PM
A complete game shut out by Danks, who wuddathunkit? Only the fifth complete game and third shutout of his career, and his first of either variety since he shut out Seattle 3-0, August 27, 2011.

ricker182
05-31-2015, 04:00 PM
A full team win.
Finally
Danks didn't have real good stuff, but good for him.

mccoydp
Old-school Danks today! Great win! :D:

harwar
Another series win .. great job by John Danks .. some timely hitting, and some balls finding holes .. Beckham playing great D and having good at bats .. a big thank you to Villar for his base running .. Samardzija, Sale, and Rodon going to have their hands full in Arlington..

Dan H
05-31-2015, 04:02 PM
The Sox best game of the year. Good defense, aggressive but smart base running and some timely hitting. Am happy for Danks, a guy who has struggled for so long. Ventura did a nice thing by giving him a chance to finish the game. I can't remember enjoying a Sox game like this one.

Win one in Texas, and this can be called a successful road trip.

WSox597
05-31-2015, 04:03 PM
Excellent game by John Danks. Good to see this from him, after that injury.

Two of three from the Astros, I would have bet the other way before the series, if I did bet games.

Glad they won this on the road, too.

hoosiersoxfan
05-31-2015, 04:07 PM
4-4 on the long road trip so far. Take the series in Arlington and come home with a winning road trip.

soxfanreggie
05-31-2015, 04:09 PM
Got some good help from his defense and his offense. Great team effort to win the series.

I would have thought the recent news stories may have distracted Danks. Glad they didn't, and he pitched a solid game! If only we could have these efforts - winning key series like these - against division opponents.

LITTLE NELL
05-31-2015, 04:28 PM
What a shot in the arm it would be if Danks can build on today's outing. I have a feeling the starters are starting to come around and if only the hitting would do the same we might start seeing some fun times on the Southside. Let's take 2 from the Rangers on this road trip from hell.

shingo10
05-31-2015, 04:32 PM
One thing from today's game is that I noticed the manager of both teams rely solely on the bench coach giving thumbs up/down when making a challenge. And the bench coach relies on the replay guys. Both Ventura and Hinch were on the field ready to challenge based on the thumbs up/down. I guess that's been going on for a while but seems odd to put blind faith in the replay guys. Guess there really isn't another way.

Anyway, great game (aside from "Ask Stone a question on Twitter" that lasted way too long) and turning into a surprisingly positive road trip. Too bad Robertson had to have a bad game in Toronto or we'd be feeling even better. May comes to a close with a ton of questions still but nice to go out with a win.

Noneck
05-31-2015, 05:11 PM
The more games I watch the more I see its a pandemic running around baseball regarding poor defense and base running mistakes. The Sox had a nice all around game today.

Lip Man 1
05-31-2015, 06:53 PM
As Ralph Wiggums would say, "John Danks pitched a great game? That's unpossible!!"

Second shut out this season for the Sox, Danks started both of those games. His biggest issue is consistency, he can pitch pretty well in a game (like today) then get shelled the next three times out.

Strangest shut out by the way, I can remember since June 21, 1973.

Stan Bahnsen of the Sox shut out Oakland 2-0 at Comiskey Park. He allowed 12 hits and a walk.

Solid game today, save for Eaton mis judging that shot right at him.

Lip

slavko
05-31-2015, 06:58 PM
Soft tossing lefty vs. free swinging lineup usually means we lose. It's nice to have a soft-tossing lefty of our own. At times.

JB98
05-31-2015, 07:09 PM
I don't think it's a coincidence that Danks' better outings of late have come against teams that don't see him often -- Cincinnati, Oakland, now Houston. He gets hit around against Detroit, Cleveland and Minnesota. His offspeed stuff just seems more likely to fool those teams that aren't as familiar with him.

Aside from the home run, there were two other key plays by LaRoche today, both in the third inning. He advanced to third with one out when Houston missed the cutoff man in the top half of the inning, which allowed him to score the Sox's fourth run on a weak tapper by Ramirez. Then, he kept his foot on the bag to complete that tough DP in the bottom of the inning. Without that, a run scores, the inning continues, and Danks has to face the middle of the Houston order with traffic on the bases. Huge out to get right there.

That Astros shortstop was one of the Sox's team MVPs today. He gave us two outs on the bases, and also committed a throwing error leading to our fifth run. Nice to see the other team make the mistakes on the bases and in the field for a change.

DumpJerry
05-31-2015, 07:52 PM
A little home cooking did John some good.

ricker182
05-31-2015, 08:28 PM
As Ralph Wiggums would say, "John Danks pitched a great game? That's unpossible!!"

Second shut out this season for the Sox, Danks started both of those games. His biggest issue is consistency, he can pitch pretty well in a game (like today) then get shelled the next three times out.

Stan Bahnsen of the Sox shut out Oakland 2-0 at Comiskey Park. He allowed 12 hits and a walk.

Lip

What happened was odd:

John Danks is the first WhiteSox pitcher to throw a 10-plus hit shutout since Terry Forster (6/21/73 vs. OAK).
He's also the first in MLB since Minnesota's Carlos Silva (8/3/04 vs. ANA).

voodoochile
05-31-2015, 08:59 PM
What happened was odd:

John Danks is the first WhiteSox pitcher to throw a 10-plus hit shutout since Terry Forster (6/21/73 vs. OAK).

Odd? He gave up a triple and a double back to back in the same inning and still pitched a shutout...:tongue:

Andrew C White
05-31-2015, 09:17 PM
Odd? He gave up a triple and a double back to back in the same inning and still pitched a shutout...:tongue:

Now that is odd.

But this is exactly what I expected from Danks this year. He is not going to be a consistent pitcher. On some days he's going to get knocked around pretty good and WSI will be calling for him to be released (see threads from his last 2 games) on other days he's going to have his control and is going to change speeds and location well and give the team a good solid outing (though I didn't expect shutout complete games) and we'll all be happy with him as good enough for a #5. Hopefully he can complete the transition into the crafty old veteran lefty and have more of the latter than the former but he's not quite Jamie Moyer or Jim Kaat yet.

Railsplitter
05-31-2015, 09:18 PM
:bandance:

A win is a win!

vinny
05-31-2015, 09:51 PM
What happened was odd:

https://i.imgflip.com/m9ttk.jpg

FielderJones
05-31-2015, 09:59 PM

Baseball Reference (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA197306210.shtml) agrees with Lip. Bahnsen, not Forster.

ricker182
05-31-2015, 11:57 PM
Baseball Reference (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA197306210.shtml) agrees with Lip. Bahnsen, not Forster.

That's from Elias Sports
(https://mobile.twitter.com/whitesox/status/605124699396308992)

GoSox2K3
06-01-2015, 08:57 AM
Another series win .. great job by John Danks .. some timely hitting, and some balls finding holes .. Beckham playing great D and having good at bats .. a big thank you to Villar for his base running .. Samardzija, Sale, and Rodon going to have their hands full in Arlington..

Another? This is their first series win in 2 weeks (when we swept the hapless A's).

cards press box
06-01-2015, 09:21 AM

I agree with Lip, too. That sounds exactly like the kind of game that Stan Bahnsen would occasionally throw. The guy was great at extricating himself from jams.

And, in any event, Danks' complete game was more important for the team than getting the shutout. And most importantly,

:winner

Foulke You
06-01-2015, 11:26 AM
I don't think it's a coincidence that Danks' better outings of late have come against teams that don't see him often -- Cincinnati, Oakland, now Houston. He gets hit around against Detroit, Cleveland and Minnesota. His offspeed stuff just seems more likely to fool those teams that aren't as familiar with him.
That's a good observation about opposing teams that might not be familiar with him. Also, a more aggressive lineup like the Astros is "friendlier" to Johnny's pitching style. When teams lay off Johnny's low changeups, he is forced to attack them with his fastball which is only coming in at 89mph these days. The keys for Johnny's success in the post shoulder injury years is to avoid the walks and keep the ball in the ballpark by keeping his change up down. For the most part, he didn't float too many change ups yesterday and he did a good job getting ahead in counts. If Johnny's change up had been floating yesterday, it would have been a short afternoon for him against a HR hitting squad in a tiny ballpark.

Lip Man 1
06-01-2015, 11:34 AM
It was Bahnsen, I interviewed him and he talked about it.

ML: Back to the field in 1973 and you had two pretty interesting games that season. The first happened on June 21st in Chicago against the A’s. You fired a complete game, 12 hit shutout! And you walked a guy. (Author’s Note: The Sox won it 2-0 and they only executed one double play, although three A’s were thrown out on the bases). Talk to me about that remarkable Thursday night.

SB: “I remember the A’s had a couple of guys thrown out on the bases which made up for the lack of regular double plays. I also remember A’s manager Dick Williams going crazy in their dugout because they had so many hits but couldn’t score any runs.”

“I honestly didn’t realize at the time that I gave up so many hits. I’d just go back to the dugout realizing they didn’t score and start getting ready for the next inning. That’s the way the game is sometimes, that’s also when some started calling me “Stanley Struggle…” because of the number of guys that would get on base against me.”

A couple statistical notes courtesy of the Sun-Times:

"LaRoche is 11-for-35 with five homers and 10 RBI in 36 plate appearances while playing first base, compared to .203 with one homer and 11 RBI in 148 plate appearances as a DH."

and

"Flowers started his 30th game Sunday. Pitchers own a 4.52 ERA with Flowers catching, and he has thrown out 2-of-22 base stealers (9.1 percent). Soto, who has made eight starts catching Jeff Samardzija, has made 18 starts overall and has caught Sox pitchers to a 3.82 ERA while throwing out 16.7 percent of base stealers (2-of-12)."

Lip

Lip Man 1
06-01-2015, 11:54 AM
Both Retrosheet and the White Sox 1974 media guide have Bahnsen pitching in that game not Forster. (74 guide had the 73 season day to day)

Lip

vinny
06-01-2015, 12:10 PM

That's from Elias Sports
(https://mobile.twitter.com/whitesox/status/605124699396308992)

I agree with Lip, too. That sounds exactly like the kind of game that Stan Bahnsen would occasionally throw. The guy was great at extricating himself from jams.

And, in any event, Danks' complete game was more important for the team than getting the shutout. And most importantly,

:winner

I guess Elias got their wires crossed about Forster. He pitched 9 innings of 10-hit shutout ball in a Sox 1-0 loss in extras in August 1973:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CLE/CLE197308220.shtml

TDog
06-01-2015, 12:27 PM

I was at that game, and I agree with Baseball Reference. Ray Fosse was catching for the A's and had trouble throwing back to the pitcher, cocking his arm three or four times before releasing ever throw to the mound. That would only be a relevant connection to the Danks shutout, though, if Soto were catching.

On the way home, we were noting the irony of Kenny Holtzman, who threw two no-hitters for the Cubs, one just before the teams utter collapse, losing a very well-pitched game in which his defending World Series Championship team was shut out on 12 hits.

SI1020
06-01-2015, 12:34 PM
It was Bahnsen, I interviewed him and he talked about it.

ML: Back to the field in 1973 and you had two pretty interesting games that season. The first happened on June 21st in Chicago against the A’s. You fired a complete game, 12 hit shutout! And you walked a guy. (Author’s Note: The Sox won it 2-0 and they only executed one double play, although three A’s were thrown out on the bases). Talk to me about that remarkable Thursday night.

SB: “I remember the A’s had a couple of guys thrown out on the bases which made up for the lack of regular double plays. I also remember A’s manager Dick Williams going crazy in their dugout because they had so many hits but couldn’t score any runs.”

“I honestly didn’t realize at the time that I gave up so many hits. I’d just go back to the dugout realizing they didn’t score and start getting ready for the next inning. That’s the way the game is sometimes, that’s also when some started calling me “Stanley Struggle…” because of the number of guys that would get on base against me.”

A couple statistical notes courtesy of the Sun-Times:

"LaRoche is 11-for-35 with five homers and 10 RBI in 36 plate appearances while playing first base, compared to .203 with one homer and 11 RBI in 148 plate appearances as a DH."

and

"Flowers started his 30th game Sunday. Pitchers own a 4.52 ERA with Flowers catching, and he has thrown out 2-of-22 base stealers (9.1 percent). Soto, who has made eight starts catching Jeff Samardzija, has made 18 starts overall and has caught Sox pitchers to a 3.82 ERA while throwing out 16.7 percent of base stealers (2-of-12)."

Lip IIRC it was long time sports journalist and south side native Bill Gleason who dubbed him "Stanley struggle."

TomBradley72
06-01-2015, 01:31 PM

Lip

Good old "Stanley Struggle"- that shut out was the first thing I thought of when I heard about Danks' shutout yesterday.

Lip Man 1
06-01-2015, 02:49 PM
Something that has been lost in the discussion, I believe the Sox went 15-15 in May. Nothing to write home about normally but for these guys, considering the past two years, that's a step in the right direction.

Lip

Foulke You
06-01-2015, 04:08 PM
Something that has been lost in the discussion, I believe the Sox went 15-15 in May. Nothing to write home about normally but for these guys, considering the past two years, that's a step in the right direction.

Lip
This team has been resilient despite their struggles and have managed to not completely bury themselves. This has been a tough road trip in which they played without Avisail Garcia and Jose Abreu for stretches. 4W-4L is not too shameful considering many thought this one could end their season. If Robertson closes out the Jays last Tuesday, it would be a great trip so far. What still gives me hope on the Sox salvaging something this year is that the pitching has been really coming around lately. If they can just get more offensive performances like yesterday's game, they could put together a good run. They don't even need to be a great offense, just league AVERAGE would probably put this team in the wild card hunt. The lack of offense has really prevented them from having a winning month. All of those "3 runs or less" games that you keep track of really have cost the Sox a bunch of winnable games this year.

ricker182
06-01-2015, 05:13 PM
I guess Elias got their wires crossed about Forster. He pitched 9 innings of 10-hit shutout ball in a Sox 1-0 loss in extras in August 1973:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CLE/CLE197308220.shtml

I don't doubt you. Just citing my source.
Surprised they were wrong and didn't correct it.

Lip Man 1
06-01-2015, 06:14 PM
Don't know if they have a contact page but you may want to let them know about it.

Lip

doublem23
06-01-2015, 11:02 PM

Lip

Since that opening sweep to KC they basically been .500 the whole season, all of this while still getting relatively lackluster production from their anticipated top starters and blue chip prospect. In the year of a dozen or so playoff teams, there's still a chance for teams sitting around .500 on June 1.