PDA

View Full Version : Stirring the Pot

Charlie Paw Paw
05-28-2015, 03:16 PM
Is that what that gesture means on those irregular occasions when our offense delivers a big hit? Frankly, I think it's kind of foolish. Teamwide celebratory gestures, much like sprinkles, are for winners. I see these guys doing this and I'm not thinking stirring the pot, I'm thinking circling the drain.

FielderJones
05-28-2015, 03:27 PM
http://www.csnchicago.com/sites/csnchicago/files/styles/scale_282px_wide/public/5-18-spanky-shirseys.png?itok=NCVnju85

http://chicago.suntimes.com/baseball/7/71/585913/white-sox-rib-teammate-adam-eaton-custom-t-shirts

Noneck
05-28-2015, 03:31 PM
I see these guys going this and I'm not thinking stirring the pot, I'm thinking circling the drain.

I guess you could have used toilet bowl but nice post.

white sox bill
05-28-2015, 05:04 PM
Alrighty then.....

Domeshot17
05-28-2015, 05:39 PM
These types of things can bring a team together. I like it personally.

WhiteSox56
05-28-2015, 06:20 PM
Is that what that gesture means on those irregular occasions when our offense delivers a big hit? Frankly, I think it's kind of foolish. Teamwide celebratory gestures, much like sprinkles, are for winners. I see these guys doing this and I'm not thinking stirring the pot, I'm thinking circling the drain.

To be a winner one must think and act like a winner, no?

chicagowhitesox1
05-28-2015, 08:23 PM
It's just corny. After a prolonged losing streak this stirring the drink thing is just pathetic.

Lundind1
05-28-2015, 09:32 PM
Get to 10 OVER .500 and within a few games of the division, then you can start the stirring. Until then, you just look stupid.

RadioheadRocks
05-28-2015, 09:52 PM
Get to 10 OVER .500 and within a few games of the division, then you can start the stirring. Until then, you just look stupid.

This.

rookie
05-28-2015, 10:15 PM
I don't mind it. It's nice to see the team camaderie. It's easy to smile when you see others smiling, whether it's foolish or not.

ricker182
05-28-2015, 10:32 PM
I don't mind it. It's nice to see the team camaderie. It's easy to smile when you see others smiling, whether it's foolish or not.

Should be all business until you're winning.
Fans are disgusted. They should be too.

KingXerxes
05-29-2015, 06:33 AM
Isn't it "Stirring the Drink"?

Anyway, I don't care what they do, my only observation is if a player had done this in the 1960's - the next pitch he faced would be throw directly at his cranial cavity.

Too much goofy assed celebration all around sports these days. Oh boy I hit a single after previously going 0 for 16.......I'm gonna celebrate! We're down 36 points, but I just caught a pass for a first down.......I'm gonna celebrate!

Chez
05-29-2015, 07:51 AM
Funny. This team is regularly criticized for playing corpseball, lacking fire, having no passion, taking on the personality of their manager blah, blah blah. And now they are being criticized for having a smidgeon of fun when they celebrate a walk-off victory.

ChiSoxGal85
05-29-2015, 07:56 AM
Funny. This team is regularly criticized for playing corpseball, lacking fire, having no passion, taking on the personality of their manager blah, blah blah. And now they are being criticized for having a smidgeon of fun when they celebrate a walk-off victory.
This. If they choose to use a gimmick to come together as a team and to keep things loose, I'm all for it.

XplodingScorbord
05-29-2015, 08:00 AM

:welcome:

I think the stirring the drink thing is one of the likable things about this team. I like the bonding. I wish they'd all stir a little more often (because they'd done something stir-worthy.)

Moses_Scurry
05-29-2015, 08:33 AM
it reminds me of when an opposing pitcher is shutting them down, but they still play "Kiss Him Goodbye" when he is lifted for the setup guy in the 8th.

SI1020
05-29-2015, 09:00 AM

Anyway, I don't care what they do, my only observation is if a player had done this in the 1960's - the next pitch he faced would be throw directly at his cranial cavity.

Too much goofy assed celebration all around sports these days. Oh boy I hit a single after previously going 0 for 16.......I'm gonna celebrate! We're down 36 points, but I just caught a pass for a first down.......I'm gonna celebrate! I made an out but moved the runner over. High fives all around. All walk off winning hits of any kind treated like Bill Mazeroski in the 7th game of 1960 World Series. I'm hopelessly out of date with this trend. Yes you are correct this sort of thing would have you hitting the deck quick to avoid being hit in the head. Times change.

Jurr
05-29-2015, 09:23 AM
Meh, I remember when the Pirates starting doing something like this before they began their turnaround towards relevance. They would signal to the dugout with their hands made into a Z, which was a hokey reference to the movie "Dude, Where's My Car?"

They called it the "Zoltan sign", and suddenly there were shirts all over the stadium with it.

I'm seeing that kind of thing being copied around the league now. If it helps the players enjoy themselves more, I don't see the problem.

Remember that these guys are all 20 somethings that perform in a pressure packed environment. Why would anyone want to see them not be happy when they do something well? It's not like they are "Carlos Gomezing" all over the place!

doublem23
05-29-2015, 09:35 AM
Some of you folks must be a blast at parties

:rolleyes:

soltrain21
05-29-2015, 09:52 AM
should be all business until you're winning.
Fans are disgusted. They should be too.

sports.

KingXerxes
05-29-2015, 09:54 AM
I made an out but moved the runner over. High fives all around. All walk off winning hits of any kind treated like Bill Mazeroski in the 7th game of 1960 World Series. I'm hopelessly out of date with this trend. Yes you are correct this sort of thing would have you hitting the deck quick to avoid being hit in the head. Times change.

SI1020 - I guess we're just of an age where "acting like you've been here before" was the way to go. I laughed out loud at your Mazeroski reference.

KingXerxes
05-29-2015, 09:57 AM

:rolleyes:

I can actually be quite entertaining at parties.

BainesHOF
05-29-2015, 10:11 AM
The Blue Jays mocked the White Sox for it on at least two or three occasions when they got a big hit.

BainesHOF
05-29-2015, 10:12 AM
it reminds me of when an opposing pitcher is shutting them down, but they still play "Kiss Him Goodbye" when he is lifted for the setup guy in the 8th.

Probably the biggest example of the organization's cluelessness.

SI1020
05-29-2015, 11:09 AM

:rolleyes: I'm one of the funnest guys to ever come down the pike. Just because I think high fives for moving the runner around are trite means I don't have a sense of humor? If this were a couple of centuries ago I just might have to challenge you to a duel. :D: Edit: I concur with the King. I also believe he is probably wise, witty and erudite in person. As am I of course.

Foulke You
05-29-2015, 11:22 AM
The Blue Jays mocked the White Sox for it on at least two or three occasions when they got a big hit.
No they didn't. They have their own little celebration they do. It's an "eating your wheaties" type gesture they do by pretending to spoon in cereal.

I'm not a fan of the over the top celebratory stuff (Carlos Gomez comes to mind..) but I have no problem with the subtle team celebratory stuff like this. It's just an arm gesture and the guys are having fun in the dugout with it. Having fun leads to good chemistry in the clubhouse. Some people need to lighten up a bit. :rolleyes:

kobo
05-29-2015, 11:26 AM
Baseball is a game. You should have fun when you're playing a game. Just because the team you're playing on isn't very good does not mean you should not enjoy the game. This isn't war or some event that is going to change the course of history. It's a game. I think some of you take this way too seriously and personally.

Dan H
05-29-2015, 11:34 AM

Too much goofy assed celebration all around sports these days. Oh boy I hit a single after previously going 0 for 16.......I'm gonna celebrate! We're down 36 points, but I just caught a pass for a first down.......I'm gonna celebrate!

I agree with this. I think there is a difference between having fun and showboating. I hate it when a player homers and points to the sky after crossing the plate. Stop this stupid crap already. These guys look like they're in love with themselves.

Want to celebrate? Fine. Do it once the game is over and you've won. Then you can point to the sky, click your heels, or do hand-stands. But no game is won until the last out, and no one has anything to celebrate until that last out is made.

Should we celebrate another Beckman base running blunder? I know I felt like pointing to the sky when I saw that. Same thing when I read in the Sun-Times that Ventura is safe in his position. Let's celebrate!

Paulwny
05-29-2015, 11:59 AM

I made an out but moved the runner over. High fives all around. All walk off winning hits of any kind treated like Bill Mazeroski in the 7th game of 1960 World Series. I'm hopelessly out of date with this trend. Yes you are correct this sort of thing would have you hitting the deck quick to avoid being hit in the head. Times change.

I'm with you guys.
I just love it when a batter hits a "majestic" fly ball to the outfield.
He then goes into his home run trot watching the ball. To his dismay the ball hits off the top of the wall and he's held to a single. As I laugh I say to myself, "what an ass hole".

JB98
05-29-2015, 12:10 PM
These types of things can bring a team together. I like it personally.

Agreed. I know it's cheesy, but stuff like this can create internal competition on a team. That's a good thing.

I think those who are pissed about this need to get over it.

Paulwny
05-29-2015, 12:26 PM
Agreed. I know it's cheesy, but stuff like this can create internal competition on a team. That's a good thing.

I think those who are pissed about this need to get over it.

It's an age thing. Us old farts remembered when "show boating" was frowned upon and led to retaliation, you didn't show-up the other teams' players.

barryball
05-29-2015, 12:39 PM
Here are my thoughts.
- We started out of the gate poorly - Starting Pitching was bad, hitting was bad, fielding was bad and base running was bad
- Now the starting pitching (Shark, Sale and Quintana) are good and maybe Rodon will give us a decent 1-4. Danks has been decent and a s a # 5 is a actually good.
- Hitting - Eaton, Ramarez, Laroche, Melky, catchers and 3b were bad from the start. All except catchers are doing better but we are still a good bat short at 3b or Catcher.
- Fielding with Sanchez at 2nd is better and overall adequate...if the other facets of teh game are good
- Base running is killing us and I wonder if we are trying to do to much in order to score runs ...need more HR's

Summary
- The hitting seems to be coming around but we need another good bat
- I think SP is ok and the relief is good. Yes, Robertson had a bad couple of games but think he needs to be used more with the loses he was not used on a regular basis
- Base running must improve or we are doomed as we can't run ourselves out of scoring runs
- The whole Baltimore riot fiasco could have happened at worst time it really screwed us up
- We are 21-25 (46 games). If we can go 14 - 10 or 15 -9 I think we continue to see an improved team through the summer and possibly a WC as I can't see us beating KC or Detroit. Clev seems to have re-bound and the Twins will come back down to earth. If we go 10 - 14 over the next 24 we need to sell Shark, Alexi, Melky and maybe Robertson if he is doing well and rebuild from there.

:dtroll::gulp:

SI1020
05-29-2015, 12:48 PM

I think those who are pissed about this need to get over it. Who's mad? Not me, the guy who's supposed to be a wallflower at parties (if I even get invited) and lacking in a sense of humor. In fact I find it quite humorous when a guy admires his home run that turns out to be a single. Or spikes his touchdown catch on the 2 yard line. Or gets in his opponents face at the weigh in and then proceeds to get knocked out in the real fight. To me posturing in life doesn't mean ****. Get mad over it? Hell no.

JB98
05-29-2015, 12:53 PM
It's an age thing. Us old farts remembered when "show boating" was frowned upon and led to retaliation, you didn't show-up the other teams' players.

I get that, but now that every team does these kind of antics, nobody really has a leg to stand on if they are frowning upon it.

I kinda hate watching the opposition celebrate walk-off wins against the Sox, but what can you say? The Sox act like that, too, when they win in walk-off fashion.

JB98
05-29-2015, 12:54 PM
Who's mad? Not me, the guy who's supposed to be a wallflower at parties (if I even get invited) and lacking in a sense of humor. In fact I find it quite humorous when a guy admires his home run that turns out to be a single. Or spikes his touchdown catch on the 2 yard line. Or gets in his opponents face at the weigh in and then proceeds to get knocked out in the real fight. To me posturing in life doesn't mean ****. Get mad over it? Hell no.

The OP in this thread didn't seem very happy. I assume he started a thread about it because he was pissed.

KingXerxes
05-29-2015, 01:11 PM
I get that, but now that every team does these kind of antics, nobody really has a leg to stand on if they are frowning upon it.

I kinda hate watching the opposition celebrate walk-off wins against the Sox, but what can you say? The Sox act like that, too, when they win in walk-off fashion.

Just because everybody is doing it I can't frown upon it?

I hate it when anybody or everybody does it - my comments were not directly pointed to the White Sox.

I will readily admit, however, when at a party, and some friend is doing his "Chris Farley - Down by the River" schtick for the 38th time in the past ten years, I am not amused at all. I actually feel embarrassed for him. When I take burgers off the grill, and somebody takes one, opens the bun and yells, "Where's the beef?" I want to club him to death with my spatula. And anybody - including close relatives and my wife and kids - who utters "Up your nose with a rubber hose!" will never set foot in my house again.

All the players in all these sports are doing their best Arnold Horshack impersonations these days, and I don't find it even remotely amusing.

Now I'll go back under the bridge and wait for those annoying Billy Goats.

Charlie Paw Paw
05-29-2015, 01:21 PM
The OP in this thread didn't seem very happy. I assume he started a thread about it because he was pissed.

Believe me, I'm a lot more annoyed at the amateurish baserunning (please, please, fire Vince Coleman), porous defense, and lack of situational hitting than I am about the imbecilic, choreographed, celebration rituals that make me think I'm not watching a major league baseball game, but an episode of 'Glee'.

CPP

hdog1017
05-29-2015, 01:30 PM
Whatever drink that they are stirring up tastes like crap.

Juice16
05-29-2015, 01:48 PM
just because everybody is doing it i can't frown upon it?

I hate it when anybody or everybody does it - my comments were not directly pointed to the white sox.

I will readily admit, however, when at a party, and some friend is doing his "chris farley - down by the river" schtick for the 38th time in the past ten years, i am not amused at all. I actually feel embarrassed for him. When i take burgers off the grill, and somebody takes one, opens the bun and yells, "where's the beef?" i want to club him to death with my spatula. And anybody - including close relatives and my wife and kids - who utters "up your nose with a rubber hose!" will never set foot in my house again.

All the players in all these sports are doing their best arnold horshack impersonations these days, and i don't find it even remotely amusing.

Now i'll go back under the bridge and wait for those annoying billy goats.

+1