PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Sox Make it Six! 05/18/2015 Postgamer

guillensdisciple
05-18-2015, 09:51 PM
Wow, good teams win games like these. Impressive victory. Worried about Avi, hopefully he is okay. Also, a little worried about Avreu's lack of power. Other than that, keep it going Sox!!

DoItForDanPasqua
05-18-2015, 09:54 PM
Great to see Sale back to normal. This is the first time I've been excited about this team this year.

rookie
Yea! Positive feelings about my team. Don't stop now boys cause I'm going to the game tomorrow!:bandance:

ChiSoxGal85
Great pitcher's duel. Kluber was tough, but so was Sale. Sox only scored the tying run on a wild pitch that, if caught, would have been an out. Nice job by Robertson and Duke shutting the Indians down, and Carlos Sanchez, brought in for his glove, does it with the bat.

:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance: :bandance:

A banana for each win in a row!

Boondock Saint
05-18-2015, 09:55 PM
Walk off winners never go out of style.

Zakath
05-18-2015, 09:56 PM
We survived a pretty awesome performance from Corey Kluber, who mowed down 7 Sox in the first three innings (ending up with a dozen K's on the night) but he couldn't go 10.

Sanchez came through after Alexei inexplicably decided to swing away in the bottom of the 10th with 2 on and no one out, followed by a Soto whiff.

Sale gives us 8 strong innings again, which makes 23 innings from the starters in 3 games.

DoItForDanPasqua
05-18-2015, 09:56 PM
Walk off winners never go out of style.

Off topic but I love your Wesley Willis reference.

ebit
05-18-2015, 09:57 PM
Eaton stirs up so much of that 2005 clubhouse feeling.

Soxman219
05-18-2015, 09:57 PM
:):):):):):)

We're over .500!!!!! AHHHH!!!

Railsplitter
05-18-2015, 09:58 PM
Great pitcher's duel. Kluber was tough, but so was Sale. Sox only scored the tying run on a wild pitch that, if caught, would have been an out. Nice job by Robertson and Duke shutting the Indians down, and Carlos Sanchez, brought in for his glove, does it with the bat.

A banana for each win in a row!

I like making a Chiquita chorus line, too!

DoItForDanPasqua
05-18-2015, 09:58 PM
This is the first time I haven't been mad at the White Sox since opening day.

TomBradley72
05-18-2015, 09:59 PM
This is the type of game a post season team wins along the way- to beat Kluber on a night when he was throwing the way he was throwing- impressive.

Nice glove work by Alexei and Melky- Eaton single handedly creating the tying run, Sanchez coming through- and doing the "straw stirring" move- he really seems to fit in-

Overall team chemistry really coming together- and Ventura has been making the right pitching moves (staying with starters, going to the right arm at the right time) since the Brewers series-

Best I've felt about a White Sox team since 2008-

guillensdisciple
Eaton stirs up so much of that 2005 clubhouse feeling.

Let's not do this. 2005 was completely different.

Heffalump
Great win!....These are the W's that "good" teams win!

Keep the line moving boys!

johnny bench
This team believes in itself.

TomBradley72
:cool:This is the first time I haven't been mad at the White Sox since opening day.

Harry Chappas
05-18-2015, 10:00 PM
Wow, good teams win games like these. Impressive victory. Worried about Avi, hopefully he is okay. Also, a little worried about Avreu's lack of power. Other than that, keep it going Sox!!

I think Avi is fine. Looks like he was giving Sanchez a wedgie during the post game scrum.

Fun game. I've been a Sanchez fan since last year. Nothing against Micah, but a slap-hitter who isn't good with the glove is not going to help much.

My hope is the Sox stay in contention and manage to upgrade catcher.

voodoochile
05-18-2015, 10:02 PM
This team believes in itself.

Starting to look that way and the straw stirring thing appears to be infectious...

May have to retire Sweet Home Chicago if this keeps up...

S3UqvWk8-uw

Shoeless Joe
05-18-2015, 10:03 PM
What a game! Gotta love those classic pitcher duels.

guillensdisciple
05-18-2015, 10:05 PM
Also, possibly the best game I have seen in years. Fantastic.

Andrew C White
05-18-2015, 10:07 PM
Kluber was awesome tonight. That is an incredible curve ball he's got. I was watching his pitch count and hoping we'd get into their bullpen for a chance to win. Took extra innings but we did... and we did!

Abreu has got to learn to stay away from those breaking balls down and away. That was his weak spot last year and it remains his weak spot this year.

Nice to see Chris Sale back on his game. We need him to lead the way. Nice to see the bullpen getting a chance to rest for a few games and allow Robin to use guys in the right spot without having to worry about whether they are overworked or not.

I think Avi just twisted his back a little. He'll probably be fine after Herm works him over. At my age that sort of thing lays me up for 10 days (just getting over one now) but he'll probably be in the lineup tomorrow though I could see them giving him one day off just to be sure.

Saracen
05-18-2015, 10:08 PM
Fantastic game. This is the team I bought the MLB package for the first time in. 10 years for.

DumpJerry
05-18-2015, 10:10 PM
This is looking like the team we thought we had.

guillensdisciple
05-18-2015, 10:10 PM
Too early to matter, but only 1.5 out of a wild card spot.

asindc
05-18-2015, 10:13 PM
Factoid that might interest only me: All the pitchers in tonight's game are on my fantasy team.

infohawk
05-18-2015, 10:17 PM
Great win. Not to dwell on the negative, but it seems like there have been several instances this season where Alexei came up in a key situation and had a horrible at-bat. I get that most at-bats don't result in a hit, but there's a difference between a quality at bat and a free-swinging at-bat. I remember thinking at one point that one of the coaches needs to pull him aside and tell him to focus a little more in those situations. He may just be trying to do too much.

Having pointed out a negative, though, I do want to end with a positive on Alexei by mentioning that he made an outstanding catch tonight on that ball where he had to time his jump. Amazing!

voodoochile
05-18-2015, 10:19 PM
Great win. Not to dwell on the negative, but it seems like there have been several instances this season where Alexei came up in a key situation and had a horrible at-bat. I get that most at-bats don't result in a hit, but there's a difference between a quality at bat and a free-swinging at-bat. I remember thinking at one point that one of the coaches needs to pull him aside and tell him to focus a little more in those situations. He may just be trying to do too much.

Having pointed out a negative, though, I do want to end with a positive on Alexei by mentioning that he made an outstanding catch tonight on that ball where he had to time his jump. Amazing!

I got to be honest with you. I thought he just missed it. He saw a pitch to drive to RF and was thinking, "hit a sacrifice fly". He just got under it.

Rocky Soprano
05-18-2015, 10:21 PM
Winning is fun.

infohawk
05-18-2015, 10:24 PM
One more thing....

Who knows how long the Sox solid play will last, but I was one of the posters that was really getting down on the team and Robin. Not that I believed Robin to be the primary problem, but I thought that something had to be done because the Sox just looked terrible.

Anyway, I'm just owning up and outing myself as one of the fans that started to let my frustration get the best of me even though I also knew that it was very, very early in the season. I don't know how good the Sox will be, but they definitely aren't as bad as they appeared at times.

That is all. :tongue:

S-SideTrifecta
05-18-2015, 10:24 PM
This was the biggest win of the season!! These guys are going to believe in themselves now!

WisSoxFan
05-18-2015, 10:25 PM
Also, possibly the best game I have seen in years. Fantastic.

First game I've watched from start to finish in a long, long time. It was a pleasure watching Kluber and Sale deal. Fantastic major league baseball game and not just because the Sox won.

Tragg
05-18-2015, 10:27 PM
The defense seems to have really stabilized. I don't know if that's the cause of playing better, but it's easy to get disheartened when they're scuffing it up in the field...and hard to win when you give extra outs.

frontrunner3
05-18-2015, 10:31 PM
What I really love is that they're winning these games without relying on home runs.

ricker182
05-18-2015, 10:36 PM
Sale was fantastic tonight.

One of the most enjoyable games to watch in recent memory.
Just good all around baseball.

Lip Man 1
05-18-2015, 10:37 PM
This is the way the game is supposed to be played in my opinion. Tight pitching, speed, great defense...not beer league softball scores.

So nice to breath the air above .500 for once.

Sanchez has made such a difference in only four games, way more than Johnson. Frankly this has surprised me but you take it.

Longest winning streak since August 2013.

Garcia by the way according to Colleen Kane's story in the Tribune has "inflammation" in his knee.

That could be a lot of things, he's one of the hottest hitters in baseball right now hate to see anything slow him down.

Hope they can keep it going this week.

Lip

doublem23
05-18-2015, 10:37 PM
That was absolutely a great game to watch. I'd like to say I could say the same thing if we were on the other end, :cool:, but it helps to be the ones winning on the walk off.

DSNB

all*star quentin
05-18-2015, 10:40 PM
Don't stop now!
:gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp:

Brian26
05-18-2015, 10:47 PM
:):):):):):)

We're over .500!!!!! AHHHH!!!

Based on my quick check, I believe this is the first time the Sox have been OVER .500 since last June 4, almost a year ago.

TDog
05-18-2015, 10:48 PM
Surely the PTC will go to Sanchez because he won the damn game. In second place, tied with Sale, should be aggressive baserunning and the secondary lead.

When it works, aggressive baseball can be fun to watch. Good, tight errorless baseball where aggressive baserunning is the difference is especially fun to watch when you're on the winning side. Tonight, it may have been the difference between winning and losing. I don't know that I've ever seen a less wild wild pitch. Eaton appears to be back as the spark plug, if not the straw. In an April walk-off win, the suspended game won two days later, Eaton led off the bottom of the seventh with a triple with the Sox down by a run, and Cabrera drove him in to tie it before the rain came. Against Kluber, it took something a little more gutsy.

This is the second time the White Sox have walked off the Indians, of course. Tomorrow's starter, Trevor Bauer, shut down the White Sox through seven in a game where John Danks was on the losing end of a 3-0 score, but that was the game where the Sox scored four in the ninth, capped by Cabrera's hit.

The Sox took advantage of a few mistakes in Oakland. Tonight, Kluber had no business not winning. If the not-so-wild wild pitch was a defensive mistake, it was a forced mistake.

And if Eaton had been tagged out, Sale would have lost this one because of a well-executed sacrifice bunt followed by a sacrifice fly. And this thread would be a much less pleasant place.

Brian26
05-18-2015, 10:51 PM
And if Eaton had been tagged out, Sale would have lost this one because of a well-executed sacrifice bunt followed by a sacrifice fly. And this thread would be a much less pleasant place.

And, actually, he was tagged out. He was dead out, but the catcher dropped the ball. Good point. Them are the breaks.

Brian26
05-18-2015, 10:54 PM
Based on my quick check, I believe this is the first time the Sox have been OVER .500 since last June 4, almost a year ago.

Just to add on to this, the Sox were only two games over .500 twice last year (April 15 and April 2 (after the second game of the year)). They were never three games over. I'm afraid to check the 2013 game log, but I have sneaking suspicion they haven't been three games over since 2012.

Brian26
05-18-2015, 10:56 PM
Last time this team has been three games or more above .500....October 3, 2012.

JB98
05-18-2015, 10:58 PM
That was a terrific game to watch with two great pitchers out there. Usually games like that come down to which team makes a mistake. The only real mistake tonight was the Cleveland catcher dropping the ball on Eaton's dash for the plate. Eaton should have been out. He wasn't, and boy, did that loom large.

Robertson and Duke with clean innings tonight, as well. The Sox won the inning Cleveland removed Kluber and went to its bullpen.

Chez
05-18-2015, 11:01 PM
I was lucky to have had a ticket tonight. Great game. Eaton's aggressiveness the last 7-10 days has been one of the catalysts. I hope Avi is ok. How do you hurt your knee drawing a walk ?! :scratch:

mccoydp
05-18-2015, 11:04 PM
Great game! I was looking forward to it all day, and it didn't disappoint. I hope the Sox keep up whatever has them on this recent tear.

:bandance:

JB98
05-18-2015, 11:05 PM
Last time this team has been three games or more above .500....October 3, 2012.

On a somewhat related note, the Sox never had a winning streak longer than four games during the entire 2014 season. That's remarkable, but I do remember the bullpen imploding and blowing a lead last season every time it looked like the Sox might be about to piece something together.

This six-game winning streak has been characterized by several one- and two-run victories. You see the difference it makes when a team has quality relief pitching options. I wouldn't say the Sox have the best bullpen in the league, but they are at an advantage against a decent number of opponents this year when it becomes a battle of bullpens. Last year, they were never at an advantage in those situations.

Church Turtle
05-18-2015, 11:06 PM
I have nothing new to add. You've all beat me to it. What a great game, I'm glad I got to watch it. GO SOX!

slavko
05-18-2015, 11:13 PM
I got to be honest with you. I thought he just missed it. He saw a pitch to drive to RF and was thinking, "hit a sacrifice fly". He just got under it.

Nailed it. Remember that he's not a good bunter. Imagine the wailing around here if he didn't get one down.

Noneck
05-18-2015, 11:15 PM
Inflammation in the knee after backing away from a pitch doesnt sound good. I sure dont want shuck or bonifacio in right field now.

JB98
05-18-2015, 11:23 PM
Nailed it. Remember that he's not a good bunter. Imagine the wailing around here if he didn't get one down.

I wouldn't want him bunting in that spot. You can't ask Ramirez to give himself up to set up Soto, who can't hit a lick. I was in favor of Ramirez trying to drive in the run. He failed, but fortunately Sanchez picked him up a couple batters later.

sullythered
05-19-2015, 12:49 AM
Factoid that might interest only me: All the pitchers in tonight's game are on my fantasy team.

How did you get Kluber and Sale? Is your league like four teams?

TDog
05-19-2015, 01:00 AM

Did you see the bunt Ramirez laid down for a single in the fourth inning Friday night. It was a very good bunt. Granted, he was bunting for a hit with no one on base against a pitcher with big curve, ostensibly on his own, although you don't know if he discussed the possibility on the bench after grounding into a fielder's choice with the bases loaded in the first.

Ramirez is a pretty good bunter. He has worked hard at it. The times that he didn't come through stand out, though. There was a sacrifice attempt a few years ago with runners on first and second that the Indians turned into a triple play. Most managers would have had him bunt, and apparently Ventura was asked at the postgame press conference why he didn't have Ramirez bunt. If he missed the bunt sign, Ventura didn't give him up.

I think the reason Ventura didn't have Ramirez bunt had to do with McAllister pitching and Soto on deck. He was throwing hard, and Ramirez is a good fastball hitter. Soto stood a good chance of striking out behind Ramrez. If Kluber were still in the game and if a contact hitter were hitting behind him, Ventura probably would have asked him to bunt, although even good contact hitters were striking out against Kuber Monday night.

soxfanreggie
05-19-2015, 06:52 AM
I think Avi is fine. Looks like he was giving Sanchez a wedgie during the post game scrum.

Fun game. I've been a Sanchez fan since last year. Nothing against Micah, but a slap-hitter who isn't good with the glove is not going to help much.

My hope is the Sox stay in contention and manage to upgrade catcher.

If we're getting pitching out of Danks and Rodon, then this is the #1 move we'll need to make. I'm not sure who will be the first team dumping players, but if we're serious about contending, we'll make that upgrade.

soxfanreggie
05-19-2015, 06:55 AM
On a somewhat related note, the Sox never had a winning streak longer than four games during the entire 2014 season. That's remarkable, but I do remember the bullpen imploding and blowing a lead last season every time it looked like the Sox might be about to piece something together.

This six-game winning streak has been characterized by several one- and two-run victories. You see the difference it makes when a team has quality relief pitching options. I wouldn't say the Sox have the best bullpen in the league, but they are at an advantage against a decent number of opponents this year when it becomes a battle of bullpens. Last year, they were never at an advantage in those situations.

Amazing what a healthier bullpen and actual closer (one performing like an all-star) can do for winning games. We made a significant investment in the pen, and it has paid off.

The Immigrant
05-19-2015, 08:14 AM
I wouldn't want him bunting in that spot. You can't ask Ramirez to give himself up to set up Soto, who can't hit a lick. I was in favor of Ramirez trying to drive in the run. He failed, but fortunately Sanchez picked him up a couple batters later.

I didn't want him to bunt because I didn't think he would execute, but I expected a better AB from such a veteran player. His only approach is to hack away.

Chez
05-19-2015, 08:27 AM
One small nugget that contributed to last night's win: If Avi doesn't hit the home run in the top of the 9th on Sunday, Robertson would have come in to pitch the bottom of the 9th (he was already warming up). Instead, Putnam pitched the bottom of the 9th. If Robertson pitches Sunday, he's likely not available on Monday (it would have been his 3d consecutive day) and who knows what happens last night in the top of the 9th and 10th.

asindc
05-19-2015, 09:13 AM
How did you get Kluber and Sale? Is your league like four teams?

9 teams, AL only. Just lucky Kluber fell to me. Was very surprised. :smile:

harwar
05-19-2015, 10:38 AM
Who would have thought a couple of weeks ago, that the White Sox would be the hottest team in the AL right now..

#1swisher
05-19-2015, 11:20 AM
Garcia drawing a leadoff walk but being taken out of the game with what was deemed as right knee inflammation.

Robin Ventura said Garcia initially tweaked his knee over the weekend in Oakland
“Even talking to him tonight it’s more inflammation,” Ventura said. “He felt something in his knee and we’re just being really cautious with him to make sure. He felt he could probably stay in there but we had a guy that could run so you put Shuck in there and figure it out tomorrow.”

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/white-sox-exercise-caution-removing-avisail-garcia-knee-tweak

guillensdisciple
05-19-2015, 11:25 AM
White Sox were 18-17 at this point last year, 33-33 through 66.

Andrew C White
05-19-2015, 11:55 AM
I remember Avi came up looking a little sore after a sliding attempt on a foul ball a few games ago. Wonder if he tweaked the knee then.

Hitmen77
05-19-2015, 01:39 PM
Eaton saved the game for us. He tripled and then scratched out that run on the wild pitch. Sure, it was a risky move, but given how Kluber was totally shutting us down, it was a chance to get the tying run.

This 10 inning game only took 2:34 to play!

guillensdisciple
05-19-2015, 02:26 PM
Victor Martinez was just placed on the 15 day dl with knee inflammation. Hopefully this is a case if Martinez being older, and not an indicator of what may happen to Avi.

Lip Man 1
05-19-2015, 03:08 PM
Knee "inflammation" can be a lot of things from just moving it the wrong way where you stretch the ligaments a tad to a meniscus tear, to anything in between. We'll see what happens in the next few days.

To me the concern I have right now given the term they used is that there must be some swelling there for some reason.

Lip

FielderJones
05-19-2015, 03:47 PM
Avi is apparently healthy enough to play today.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3181423&postcount=3

Hitmen77
05-19-2015, 04:11 PM

That's a relief!

Andrew C White
05-19-2015, 04:14 PM

Very good news. It didn't look like much last night... but you never know.