PDA

View Full Version : The 1986 Hawk Harrelson Debacle

basilesox
08-20-2002, 02:57 AM
Could somebody clue me in. what was the 1986 Hawk Harrelson debacle. And where was he this weekend by the way.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-20-2002, 07:59 AM
As new Sox GM, Hawk took a team two seasons removed from winning 98 games and traded away most of the talent for garbage, like the Bobby Bonilla for Jose DeLeon trade. He also fired Tony LaRussa who then went on to win 3 pennants leading Oakland.

Things were such a shambles, he mysteriously disappeared late in the season, and then Larry Himes was hired.

I'm still not sure where Hawk was this weekend. Somebody said he was at a charity golf outing.

BuehrleACE56
08-20-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I'm still not sure where Hawk was this weekend. Somebody said he was at a charity golf outing.

LOL! would not surprise me. the crew seems to be pretty hush-hush about whatever it is. they havent said a word except "hawk was away on assignment for the club."

voodoochile
08-20-2002, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by BuehrleACE56

LOL! would not surprise me. the crew seems to be pretty hush-hush about whatever it is. they havent said a word except "hawk was away on assignment for the club."

Does that mean he is scouting retired pitchers at the golf tournament?

:reinsy
"I understnd the Nolan Ryan and Bob Gibson were going to be two of the golfers, so I sent Hawk out to ask them if they would consider a come back."

:KW
"I offered to trade Maggs and Buehrle for Gibson straight up. Man, have you seen the film on that guy? He can throw hard."

:hawk
"Mercy! The Gibber and Nolan on the same staff. The Sox would be unbeatable. Have I ever told you about the time I hit 10 home runs in the same game all off of Bob? He just came up to me and shook my hand afterwards and said, 'Hawk, YOU are the man.' "

:DJ
"Somebody shoot me, please?"

ChiWhiteSox1337
08-20-2002, 01:33 PM
http://whitesoxinteractive.com/OldComiskey/embarass11.jpg

:D:

voodoochile
08-20-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
http://whitesoxinteractive.com/OldComiskey/embarass11.jpg

:D:

AAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!!! NOOOOOOOOOO! Put it away, put it away...

:bundy
"I'm blind, Peg!"

KingXerxes
08-20-2002, 02:57 PM

"Yessir...........1986............mercy!"

HEY HAWK. WOULD YOU PLEASE TELL US ABOUT THE PRESS CONFERENCE WHERE YOU FIRED TONY LARUSSA?

"Well son.......it was this way. I showed up in my best pimp outfit. White leather pants, a white jacket that had fringe hanging down the arms, and a big cowboy hat with feathers in the hat band. Yessir I was dressed to kill.......mercy."

GREAT HAWK, BUT WHAT EXACTLY DID YOU SAY ABOUT THE MEDIA IN THIS CITY.

"Well now let me think. I think I said that I wasn't going to talk to anymore reporters "off the record".

WHY HAWK, WHY NOT TALK TO REPORTERS OFF THE RECORD ANYMORE?

"Because when you do, all they do is "stick it up your keester"."

YES FOLKS - "STICK IT UP YOUR KEESTER". WE ACTUALLY HAD A GENERAL MANAGER OF THE WHITE SOX WHO USED THE TERM "STICK IT UP YOUR KEESTER". THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME HAWK.

"Thank you for letting me clear up all the malarkey that's getting thrown 'round here lately."