PDA

View Full Version : SS from Japan coming to America?

Jerry_Manuel
08-19-2002, 10:57 PM
From Gammons:

Several teams, including the Red Sox, Mariners and Mets, have been in Japan investigating the possibility of Seibu Lions shortstop Kaz Matsui coming to the states for next season.

"He can be a very good offensive middle infielder for someone," says one AL GM. "He's coming this winter, so it will an interesting bidding situation."

Matsui is hitting .344 with 23 homers and a .903 OPS for the Lions.

MarkEdward
08-19-2002, 11:02 PM
Does anyone know how much money the Sox use on scouting in the Pacific?

Iguana775
08-19-2002, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Does anyone know how much money the Sox use on scouting in the Pacific?

:reinsy

"Where?"

RedPinStripes
08-19-2002, 11:37 PM
no need to worry. Sox won't get him. Why the hell would the bosox get him? they have the best defensive ss in the game.

ScottyTheSoxFan
08-20-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Why the hell would the bosox get him? they have the best defensive ss in the game.

maybe stick him at second?

MarkEdward
08-20-2002, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
they have the best defensive ss in the game.

... not named Alex Rodriguez.

Dadawg_77
08-20-2002, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan

maybe stick him at second?

ala the Yankees.

raul12
08-20-2002, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Iguana775

"Where?"

amen. why would the most tight wad GM spend millions just to have the opportunity to negotiate?

i can't even afford a $25M payroll! why would i spend $10M just to talk to someone. i mean, he can't be better than royce.

DrCrawdad
08-20-2002, 12:16 PM
Iíve read before about Kaz Matsui. Whether or not Matsui is a MLB shortstop, I donít know. If Matsui is though, wouldnít it make sense for the Sox to make a run at Matsui?

If Matsui was to be a starting SS for the Sox donít you think it would be good for the Sox attendance? I attended a Mariners/Sox game at Comiskey and I couldnít believe the large number of Asians (I assume they were Japanese) at the game.

Chicago has a fairly large Japanese population, wouldnít it be good to try and sign a player in a position where we have a need and that might help draw Asians to Comiskey?

One thing I have to hand the Cubs organization is their PR Machine. They announce that theyíve rehired Stone, hanging the Carter and Otto out to dry and there is no outcry about the treatment of Carter and Otto. The Sox fire a Disc Jockey and it creates a firestorm against the Sox.

Anyway, the Cub PR Machine will be working OT once Choi makes it on the Cubs ML roster. Not that the Cubs need much of a boost in interest or attendance but Iím sure that theyíll milk having the Korean Choi for every bit of positive pub.

Itís just like the Sox to sit back and let an potential opportunity to boost attendance slip by because they donít want to spend the money. Iím sure that the Mariners are disappointed on their return from Ichiro.

Jerry_Manuel
08-20-2002, 12:35 PM
With the Sox luck they'd pay a ton of money for him, and he'd be bad.

If he's being handled like Ichiro, it's going to take a lot of cash just to even talk to this guy. Good luck getting money from the chairman.

Paulwny
08-20-2002, 01:15 PM
King George has his people looking at Hideki Matsui.

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam020815/mlb_nyy-ap.html