PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5-10 Everything's Better with Bacon SOX 4 REDS 3 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
05-10-2015, 04:23 PM
That's a nice way to grab a win.

guillensdisciple
05-10-2015, 04:24 PM
Just, please, no talking about moving Gordon permanently back into the lineup.

Saracen
05-10-2015, 04:26 PM
Nice, tightly played game all around. I think they've turned the corner. Now take it on the road.

Marqhead
What the heck was that stir the pot move Beckham was doing?

Frater Perdurabo
If Eaton and LaRoche would just start hitting at their career norms, and Sale and Samardzija would pitch to their career norms, things would be so much better.

LITTLE NELL
05-10-2015, 04:27 PM
After blowing it in the top of the 9th, a great 2 out rally with a walk off hit by Gordo!! That's 5 home series wins in a row, now we have start to win on the road.

harwar
05-10-2015, 04:27 PM
Without a doubt, the best game that i've seen all year .. Johnny Danks was outstanding, the defense was good, if you forget about the catchers (who both suck) .. some very big timely hits .. Beckham has been great at the plate, since moving to his new role .. the fact that they won after Robertson had a blown save, was extremely surprising ... maybe the worm has turned, and good days are coming .. i predict a series sweep at Miller Park..

Frater Perdurabo
05-10-2015, 04:29 PM

No one's talking about that right now. If one of them should break out and start producing, I have no problem with that player taking on more of a full-time role. In the meantime, keep platooning them.

harwar
05-10-2015, 04:29 PM

I don't know if this is it, but there's a thing going around the clubhouse that Eaton started, when he said that he's the straw that stirs the drink, talking about being a lead off man .. the guys ran with that and had t shirts made up, which i heard didn't sit too well with Adam Eaton..

ricker182
05-10-2015, 04:32 PM
Can we please splurge on a catcher?!?!?!

Anyway nice win. Should not have come to that, and even though DRob blew the save, he still looked REALLY good.

Maybe if we could have mustered .500 baseball on the road we'd be in good shape.

Need to sweep MIL.

FielderJones
05-10-2015, 04:32 PM

Why would we? Everyone is thrilled with his current role, for which he seems so perfectly suited.

soltrain21
05-10-2015, 04:34 PM
Boy do we need an upgrade at catcher.

Andrew C White

Melky did it earlier in the game and I've seen a couple of the other guys doing it after getting clutch hits in recent games. Don't know the source (though I see someone else has come up with that) but it is clearly a clubhouse thing.

Hey... whatever works.

soltrain21
I don't know if this is it, but there's a thing going around the clubhouse that Eaton started, when he said that he's the straw that stirs the drink, talking about being a lead off man .. the guys ran with that and had t shirts made up, which i heard didn't sit too well with Adam Eaton..

Heard from who and why?

asindc
05-10-2015, 04:39 PM
Can we please splurge on a catcher?!?!?!

Anyway nice win. Should not have come to that, and even though DRob blew the save, he still looked REALLY good.

Maybe if we could have mustered .500 baseball on the road we'd be in good shape.

Need to sweep MIL.

Who do you have in mind?

Marqhead
05-10-2015, 04:39 PM

Seems to indicate he thought it was funny

http://chicago.suntimes.com/baseball/7/71/585913/white-sox-rib-teammate-adam-eaton-custom-t-shirts

soxfanreggie
05-10-2015, 04:41 PM

If you're hitting .200 after signing a contract in the offseason, your words like that are fair game.

ricker182
05-10-2015, 04:53 PM
Who do you have in mind?

Quit believing in Flowers.

We've passed up on so many catchers (especially last year) because our organization thought Flowers was the future.

List of guys we could have signed this offseason:
Nick Hundley
Russell Martin (not worth the money)
A.J. Pierzynski

Then they bring in a guy to back him up that has trouble throwing back to the pitcher.

harwar
05-10-2015, 04:53 PM
Heard from who and why?

They were having technical difficulties at mlb.com during the first game of the double header, so i listened to the reds radio announcers .. they were talking about it..

LITTLE NELL
05-10-2015, 04:55 PM
If you're hitting .200 after signing a contract in the offseason, your words like that are fair game.

Reading the article in the Times it sounds like it was done in fun and not milicious towards Eaton. IIRC there was some talk when Eaton was with the Diamondbacks that he sometimes had diarrhea of the mouth. I feel if the Sox are going to get back in the race we need the Eaton of 2014. Who else do we have as a lead-off guy?

TDog
05-10-2015, 04:59 PM

Technically, he had the game-winning hit two games in a row. He broke the tie to give the Sox their final lead, but I think it was in the fourth inning. I don't know if he belongs in the lineup on an everyday basis. It could be that he plays well because he isn't in the lineup every day, but he's been one of the brightest spots on the Sox this season. He also got a big ninth-inning hit to tie the game in an earlier walk-off win

Today's win, of course, was a lot harder than it needed to be. Not scoring LaRoche's leadoff double would have bothered me more if the Sox hadn't already failed to score with the bases loaded and none out and Cabrera up with Abreu on deck. Scratching out the lead without a hit after two leadoff walks felt like it would be enough. Certainly the insurance run on the groundout in the eighth (gotta love the contact play) seemed like it would be enough. Danks, who has probably been as consistent as anyone on the staff, pitched such as great game, only giving up the run after waiting out the replay overturning the call at first.

This was the first game all season that a White Sox reliever had given up a lead, and it was the perfect closer with the zeros where the ERA was supposed to go as he entered the game. To his credit, he pitched out of a man-on-second-nine-out-scored-tied-in-the-ninth situation after blowing the save.

As unlikely as that was, Chapman, also without an ERA coming into the game, had two outs and two strikes on Garcia before allowing a single on a 101 mph fastball. Ramirez followed with a single on a 99 mph fastball, and the 2-2 pitch that Beckham hit was clocked at 100 mph.

Technically, the White Sox are still undefeated this year when taking a lead into the ninth, as well as the eighth and probably the seventh. They still haven't lost a home series. There were some disappointing aspects to today's game to be sure. But the positives, the pitching of Danks, the way the Sox scored their runs, when they scored them, especially the last two, particularly was great to see.

LITTLE NELL
05-10-2015, 05:00 PM

We've passed up on so many catchers (especially last year) because our organization thought Flowers was the future.

Then they bring in a guy to back him up that has trouble throwing back to the pitcher.

Reminds me of the movie "Bang The Drum Slowly'' when Bruce Pearson, the dying catcher asks one of the coaches what he needs to do to be a good catcher, the answer was throw the ball back to the pitcher the right way.

DonnieDarko
05-10-2015, 05:08 PM

This. Also, Ventura seemed to intimate as much with his own "thick skin" comments.

Andrew C White
05-10-2015, 05:15 PM
IIRC there was some talk when Eaton was with the Diamondbacks that he sometimes had diarrhea of the mouth.

Interesting. I mentioned a week or so back that I wondered if he had a reputation for pissing people off. I think he rubs a lot of umpires the wrong way and that it is costing him. I noticed last year that he seemed subject to a much wider strike zone then the rest of the guys and have seen it this year too.

From the Sun times article Robin is quoted as saying you need to develop a thick skin. He didn't seem to object to the shirt at all. I think it is good naturedly aimed at Adam but also pointedly. If he gets the right message from it perhaps it will help him become a better player and teammate. learn to keep his mouth shut if that indeed is a problem, and help him take some of the pressure off of himself.

TDog
05-10-2015, 05:18 PM

Of course, "the straw that stirs the drink" is the oft-quoted notorious Reggie Jackson quote from Sports Illustrated a few decades ago, notorious because it upset his teammates. I can't imagine any professional baseball player would use those words seriously again. Maybe it was meant to be funny, and maybe it has loosened up the team a bit.

Andrew C White
05-10-2015, 05:20 PM
Oh! Just saw the replay of Gordon's hit and drink stirring motion. Earlier I wondered who it was that came charging out in sweathsirt with the hood up to great him in the infield. It was Eaton. Gordon stirred directly at him as he charged towards him and Eaton briefly stirred back at him. If this works as a team building and motivating exercise then all the better.

Lip Man 1
05-10-2015, 05:37 PM
Nice to see them get the win and win the series. Nice to see Danks pitch well.

Six weeks in and this is the first game the bullpen has really blown but the Sox still won it...of course maybe the Reds don't tie the game if Soto catches a ball right down the middle.

Defense folks...fundamentals.

Still a win is a win, you take it and go to Milwaukee.

Lip

TomBradley72
05-10-2015, 05:41 PM
My random thoughts-

As flawed as this team is- they do not seem to quit- we've had more come from behind and/or walk off wins in the first few weeks than some Sox teams have had over the course of a number of months.
With so many new players- chemistry can take a while to form- maybe the "stirring" thing gives them a little bit of a gimmick to get that going
Great start by Danks- along with Rodon last night- maybe the 4th and 5th slots are looking a little better?
Abreu needs a break- I hope they use the Milwaukee series (3 RHPs) to give him a night off (or 2) vs. the complete lunacy of putting him at 3rd base
I really like Avi Garcia- he seems to be the gutsiest guy on the roster

The Sox have been swept by the Royals and the Twins- and it turned out both teams were red hot (not just against the Sox)- and they are showing some fight and the defense is getting a little better- so some Sunday afternoon optimism for now.

DonnieDarko
05-10-2015, 05:45 PM
Oh! Just saw the replay of Gordon's hit and drink stirring motion. Earlier I wondered who it was that came charging out in sweathsirt with the hood up to great him in the infield. It was Eaton. Gordon stirred directly at him as he charged towards him and Eaton briefly stirred back at him. If this works as a team building and motivating exercise then all the better.

Just saw that myself. If indeed the biggest problem with this team was chemistry and it looks like that may have been solved...who knows, maybe we'll have fun baseball to watch again. :D

asindc
05-10-2015, 06:09 PM

List of guys we could have signed this offseason:
Nick Hundley
Russell Martin (not worth the money)
A.J. Pierzynski

What makes you think I do?

ricker182
05-10-2015, 06:14 PM
What makes you think I do?

Not you. The organization.
He's not good.

Paulwny
05-10-2015, 06:15 PM
My random thou

Abreu needs a break- I hope they use the Milwaukee series (3 RHPs) to give him a night off (or 2) vs. the complete lunacy of putting him at 3rd base
I really like Avi Garcia- he seems to be the gutsiest guy on the roster.

Agree with the above.
I also think that until Abreu gets out of his funk, Garcia should bat 3rd and Abreu 5th.

XplodingScorbord
05-10-2015, 06:26 PM

This is excellent. Everyone needs to stir the drink. And I can totally see this team coming together around it. I saw Melky do it the other day, too and didn't get it at the time. Now it seems to be a "thing" and to me that's a good thing.

Hitmen77
05-10-2015, 09:03 PM
:bandance:

- Nice start by Danks. Great to see it not wasted in the end.
- Robertson was bound to have a blown save. Good to see that he shut them down after giving up 2 runs and having the Reds' lead run on 2nd with nobody out.
- Good to go 4-2 on the homestand after that horrible Baltimore-Minnesota fiasco. Now, this team needs to start winning games on the road starting with Milwaukee tomorrow.
- Our catchers are terrible. I don't know if there's much the Sox can do about it right now, though.

Railsplitter
05-10-2015, 09:20 PM
Mmmm, Bacon!

:bandance::bandance:

ChiSoxGal85
05-11-2015, 07:45 AM
I confess that when I saw that Beckham was up against Chapman with the winning run at 3rd and 2 outs, I wrote off the inning. We've complained about Beckham's inability to catch up with the fastball on this board for years. And yet, he had a good at-bat against him, and hit a 100 mph fastball. Great win! (Even though Robertson blew a save. It's gonna happen sometimes.)

:bandance:

So it seems Eaton can't be THAT upset about it. Whatever works! Love it! :D:

doublem23
05-11-2015, 08:17 AM

2015 White Sox: Stirred, Not Shaken

aryzner
05-11-2015, 08:19 AM
New theme song before games. Stir it up, White Sox fans!

S3UqvWk8-uw

harwar
05-11-2015, 10:45 AM
Of course, "the straw that stirs the drink" is the oft-quoted notorious Reggie Jackson quote from Sports Illustrated a few decades ago, notorious because it upset his teammates. I can't imagine any professional baseball player would use those words seriously again. Maybe it was meant to be funny, and maybe it has loosened up the team a bit.

Yea, just paraphrasing the Reds radio announcers, they did mentioned Reggie and said that Adam Eaton's straw is a little bit smaller, lol .. they were using terms like "he was bent outta shape", and that he didn't take too kindly to the practical joke .. anyway, they made it sound as if Adam was really angry .. i guess that i shouldn't believe everything that i hear on the opposing teams broadcast..

#1swisher
05-11-2015, 11:15 AM
https://mlblogswhitesoxpride.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/screenshot-2015-05-11-10-37-01.png?w=833

Foulke You
05-11-2015, 11:28 AM
Reading the article in the Times it sounds like it was done in fun and not milicious towards Eaton. IIRC there was some talk when Eaton was with the Diamondbacks that he sometimes had diarrhea of the mouth. I feel if the Sox are going to get back in the race we need the Eaton of 2014. Who else do we have as a lead-off guy?
Players totally having fun with it. I honestly don't think Eaton cares that much. He said he was fine with the players having fun with it. Melky was making the "stirring" motion on Saturday abd Avi did it after a hit as well. I'm hoping the Sox take off and this stirring business becomes a full fledged "thing".

The incident from Arizona you are referring to comes from one former D'backs catcher (current Cubs catcher) Miguel Montero who waited until after Eaton was gone before airing his perceived grievances. It's not the first time that Montero had an issue with one of his teammates though. Apparently, Trevor Bauer also rubbed him the wrong way. He seems a bit sensitive. Apparently, the Dbacks also have a recent history of running down former players when they leave. Eaton was caught off guard by the whole thing.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/01/an-anonymous-diamondbacks-player-slammed-adam-eaton-as-selfish/comment-page-1/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2014/01/01/adam-eaton-bothered-by-selfish-rumors-diamondbacks-white-sox-trade/4283937/

Foulke You
05-11-2015, 11:42 AM
More random thoughts from yesterday's game:

-We had arguably the two best closers in baseball each blow a save in the same inning. Baseball can be a funny game sometimes.

-The Sox really have hitting the ball hard into the defense down pat

-Avi Garcia is really becoming a fun player to watch. It's been fun watching his development. Seems like he is only looking for pitches he can handle now and laying off the rest.

-Johnny Danks was hitting 91 mph on the radar. That's about as hard as I've seen him throw in a long time.

-It ended up not hurting them but I absolutely hated Duke's intentional walk to Phillips in the 8th. I never like putting the go ahead run on base intentionally unless the guy at the plate is a monster like Victor Martinez, Mike Trout, etc.

-I am quite tired of watching Sox catchers let low pitches get thru the wickets. It seems that neither guy can block anything in the dirt. Soto is marginally better at it than Flowers but neither of them are good. At least Flowers finally had a good day at the plate...

JB98
05-11-2015, 01:45 PM
I have criticized Danks frequently, but I'll give credit where credit is due. After the events of Saturday, the Sox desperately needed him to get deep into the ballgame yesterday. He got the job done, with both quality and quantity of innings.

When it looked like the wheels had come off in the ninth, Robertson put them back on. Against Chapman, big home run swings do not work, as Abreu and LaRoche demonstrated. The three hitters that followed shortened their swings and used the middle of the field, with game-winning results.

JB98
05-11-2015, 01:49 PM
More random thoughts from yesterday's game:

-We had arguably the two best closers in baseball each blow a save in the same inning. Baseball can be a funny game sometimes.

-The Sox really have hitting the ball hard into the defense down pat

-Avi Garcia is really becoming a fun player to watch. It's been fun watching his development. Seems like he is only looking for pitches he can handle now and laying off the rest.

-Johnny Danks was hitting 91 mph on the radar. That's about as hard as I've seen him throw in a long time.

-It ended up not hurting them but I absolutely hated Duke's intentional walk to Phillips in the 8th. I never like putting the go ahead run on base intentionally unless the guy at the plate is a monster like Victor Martinez, Mike Trout, etc.

-I am quite tired of watching Sox catchers let low pitches get thru the wickets. It seems that neither guy can block anything in the dirt. Soto is marginally better at it than Flowers but neither of them are good. At least Flowers finally had a good day at the plate...

Agreed, catching is now perhaps the biggest hole on team; perhaps even bigger than No. 5 starter.

Last year, the Sox were in real bad shape in left field, with left-handed relief pitching and with their closer situation. Now that those problems were addressed over the offseason, the issues behind the plate have become even more glaring.

asindc
05-11-2015, 02:05 PM
I have criticized Danks frequently, but I'll give credit where credit is due. After the events of Saturday, the Sox desperately needed him to get deep into the ballgame yesterday. He got the job done, with both quality and quantity of innings.

When it looked like the wheels had come off in the ninth, Robertson put them back on. Against Chapman, big home run swings do not work, as Abreu and LaRoche demonstrated. The three hitters that followed shortened their swings and used the middle of the field, with game-winning results.

Ah yes, the "make contact" swing, as opposed to the "swing hard in case you hit it" swing. Who knew?

#1swisher
05-11-2015, 03:17 PM
Gordon Beckham walk-off
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CEuzJVfWYAAaiAI.jpg

Foulke You
05-11-2015, 03:17 PM
Agreed, catching is now perhaps the biggest hole on team; perhaps even bigger than No. 5 starter.

Last year, the Sox were in real bad shape in left field, with left-handed relief pitching and with their closer situation. Now that those problems were addressed over the offseason, the issues behind the plate have become even more glaring.
It really was one of Hahn's only failings in an otherwise great offseason retooling the roster. We are essentially using two backup catchers to share duties as a starter which is not good. Also, prior to yesterday, Flowers was 3 for his last 36. An absolute black hole when you consider he is a minus defender. Neither Flowers nor Soto grade out to a good starting catcher. I worry that their inability to stop anything in the dirt will make our pitchers afraid to bury a slider or sinker in high leverage situations. The Sox currently are tied for the league lead in passed balls. We really should be fully in the lead for passed balls because there were a couple generous scorers on the road that called some of these "wild pitches" that should have definitely been stopped. What I wouldn't give for a Karkovice type catcher who played rock solid defense, had a cannon for an arm, handles the pitching staff competently, and supplies occasional power. If the Sox can climb back to contention, I'm hoping they will finally shop around for an upgrade.

jdm2662
05-11-2015, 03:39 PM
I'm also happy for the ol Hawk. His fellow Georgia boy/son had the game winning hit. I'm sure we will keep hearing what a great player and guy he is.

That said, I'm glad Beckham is in the role he is in now. He is at least a useful player in such role...