PDA

View Full Version : Porzio


Chisox_cali
08-19-2002, 10:05 PM
What a nice relief performence by Mike tonight. 4 2/3 2 H 1R 1ER 0BB 4K's. And before that he had only given up one run in the previous 9 innings he worked since being re-called.

duke of dorwood
08-19-2002, 10:10 PM
He was hitting 92 on the gun. I'd like to see him get a start-I'm real tired of the Glover-Wright regime.

Daver
08-19-2002, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
He was hitting 92 on the gun. I'd like to see him get a start-I'm real tired of the Glover-Wright regime.

Basing a pitchers talent on what the gun reads gets you the rotation we have now,lose the gun,and emphasize talent.

duke of dorwood
08-19-2002, 10:31 PM
He does seem to have a little different delivery and seems to throw from a few different angles too. A smooth delivery like Buehrle. Does he have any history as a starter?

MarkEdward
08-19-2002, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
He was hitting 92 on the gun. I'd like to see him get a start-I'm real tired of the Glover-Wright regime.


Whoa, hold on there. Porzio has pitched well since being re-called, but he is a retread. I don't even expect him to be on the team next year. Let him work long relief out of the pen, but the Sox should continue to focus on players like Wright and Glover.

BuehrleACE56
08-19-2002, 11:37 PM
glover had pitched well until tonight. wright is a toss-up. he can be dominating at times and collapse at others. it's the same game with him as it is garland. he's young blah blah and he will come around. wright made one relief appearance last year and hasnt missed a start since. he just needs to keep plugging along. porzio is what? 28-29? he's just now getting called up and pitching decent. his first call-up was disasterous. remember his first outing he threw all balls and walked two guys. now he seems to be pitching all right and lasting quite a few innings. with the season over i dont mind him getting some PT. if we were in a clutch situation, i wouldn't want him warming in the bullpen. he's just getting reps and i doubt will make the team next year. he was a wunsch replacement until wunsch healed. now he is up for our series' against lefty-dominated teams i.e. Anaheim and Minnesota.

ilovemags30
08-19-2002, 11:50 PM
before the game i talked to mike by the dugout while he signed autographs.. he was telling me that he would pitch tonight if gary got a bad start... he said that he he does relieve him.. that he hopes he will do good tho... i thought he did... and he gave my baby cuz a baseball... it was my 1st time meeting mike.. i think hes gonna help the team out alot.

Chisox_cali
08-19-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by ilovemags30
before the game i talked to mike by the dugout while he signed autographs.. he was telling me that he would pitch tonight if gary got a bad start... he said that he he does relieve him.. that he hopes he will do good tho... i thought he did... and he gave my baby cuz a baseball... it was my 1st time meeting mike.. i think hes gonna help the team out alot.

I've been a fan of his ever since he won a cow milking contest at the Angels game back in May :D:

doublem23
08-20-2002, 12:48 AM
Mike looked good tonight...

Too bad this team ****in' blows.

hold2dibber
08-20-2002, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by BuehrleACE56
glover had pitched well until tonight. wright is a toss-up. he can be dominating at times and collapse at others. it's the same game with him as it is garland. he's young blah blah and he will come around. wright made one relief appearance last year and hasnt missed a start since. he just needs to keep plugging along. porzio is what? 28-29? he's just now getting called up and pitching decent. his first call-up was disasterous. remember his first outing he threw all balls and walked two guys. now he seems to be pitching all right and lasting quite a few innings. with the season over i dont mind him getting some PT. if we were in a clutch situation, i wouldn't want him warming in the bullpen. he's just getting reps and i doubt will make the team next year. he was a wunsch replacement until wunsch healed. now he is up for our series' against lefty-dominated teams i.e. Anaheim and Minnesota.

If Parque falters, or even if he doesn't but Porzio continues to pitch well, I'd try starting him a game or two down the stretch (assuming there is a stretch). He was, I believe, a starter in Charlotte. Maybe (and I know its a long shot) he's one of those late bloomers - a guy who doesn't blow scouts away with his arm, but who learns how to pitch as he reaches his late 20s, early 30s. Might as well give him a shot - we have nothing to lose at this point.

BuehrleACE56
08-20-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Maybe (and I know its a long shot) he's one of those late bloomers - a guy who doesn't blow scouts away with his arm, but who learns how to pitch as he reaches his late 20s, early 30s. Might as well give him a shot - we have nothing to lose at this point.

i sure hope so.

delben91
08-20-2002, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber


If Parque falters, or even if he doesn't but Porzio continues to pitch well, I'd try starting him a game or two down the stretch (assuming there is a stretch). He was, I believe, a starter in Charlotte. Maybe (and I know its a long shot) he's one of those late bloomers - a guy who doesn't blow scouts away with his arm, but who learns how to pitch as he reaches his late 20s, early 30s. Might as well give him a shot - we have nothing to lose at this point.

Wasn't Sean Lowe of that "older" variety? Granted, he never did turn into anything amazing, but he was a marginal to decent starter and a decent to above average reliever in his Sox tenure. Like dibber said, it's not as if we have anything to lose, or really anyone else in the minors ready to challenge for the role Porzio's holding.

:vining
"What about me?"

Oh, well, yeah, there's always him.