PDA

View Full Version : Team Meeting Soon

#1swisher
05-01-2015, 12:26 PM
Tyler Flowers said there was some in-game conversation between players about cleaning up their acts, but he said he imagines a team meeting with Ventura will come soon.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-report-white-sox-twins-spt-0501-20150430-story.html

Andrew C White
05-01-2015, 12:45 PM
How about today? Players only or with Ventura and the staff. They need to get their collective heads in the game.

JB98
05-01-2015, 02:26 PM
Whenever this meeting occurs, hopefully playing smarter baseball and understanding situations will be the topic of conversation.

Let's forget about the debacle in the opener in Minnesota for a moment, and take an example from last Sunday's game against Kansas City -- a game the Sox actually won.

Kendrys Morales, who has ZERO stolen bases in the last six years, is on first base. The Sox allow him to advance to second base when John Danks makes an errant pickoff toss. Jose Abreu was somewhat near the bag, but he wasn't holding Morales on, per se, and wasn't really expecting a pickoff throw, and why would he? It's Morales. He isn't running.

The Sox will allow a guy like Alcides Escobar to steal second and third without even a throw at times, but they'll allow a guy like Morales an extra base with an errant throw while needlessly "trying to hold him close" or something. *** are they thinking out there?

If you watched the game last night, you saw Eaton's foibles in the outfield, so I won't go over that in specifics. But suffice to say, the Sox have an annoying habit of allowing opposing baserunners to take an extra 90 feet here and extra 90 feet there for bull**** reasons.

Next time you watch a game, take note of how often the opposition is able to move up an extra base because of a silly miscue by the Sox.

In almost every game, there's an example of one of the following things: Throwing to the wrong base, failing to hold a runner close, making a needless throw that has no chance of resulting in an out, a wild pitch or passed ball, and errant pickoff throw, a missed cutoff man, playing the infield in at a time where it doesn't make any sense, etc., etc., etc.

This kind of crap loses ballgames. It has to stop.

Irishsox1
05-01-2015, 02:38 PM
The can have all the meetings they want, until Ventura is fired they will be at or below .500

Ventura is a dud manager. Not saying the Sox need someone like Ozzie but Ventura has been in there long enough to show that he's not cut out to be a MLB manager.

Paulwny
05-01-2015, 03:04 PM
Next time you watch a game, take note of how often the opposition is able to move up an extra base because of a silly miscue by the Sox.

In almost every game, there's an example of one of the following things: Throwing to the wrong base, failing to hold a runner close, making a needless throw that has no chance of resulting in an out, a wild pitch or passed ball, and errant pickoff throw, a missed cutoff man, playing the infield in at a time where it doesn't make any sense, etc., etc., etc.

Agree this must stop however, this has been going on for years. We've all complained about the bone head plays, but it still continues.
I find it amazing that professional players who earn a living playing this game don't seem to know or care about the fundamentals of the game.
If you continually made the same mistakes at your job the boss would be all over your ass.

JB98
05-01-2015, 03:16 PM
Agree this must stop however, this has been going on for years. We've all complained about the bone head plays, but it still continues.
I find it amazing that professional players who earn a living playing this game don't seem to know or care about the fundamentals of the game.
If you continually made the same mistakes at your job the boss would be all over your ass.

Here's the thing: I read and hear a lot of comments about what a bad manager Ventura is, but most of them are centered on a "lack of fire" or an "inability to teach fundamentals." I don't think either of those two things are the issue. Plenty of managers who "lacked fired" have won, and damn, it's not real hard to "teach fundamentals." There are Little League dads in every community in America who can do that.

Think back about Robin as a player. He was a smart player, very few mental mistakes, good defensively, knew what to do in all situations -- with the bat, with the glove, even on the bases (although he had no wheels). That's part of the reason he had a fairly successful 15-year career in the bigs. He knew what he was doing out there.

I think Robin *expects* his guys to know what he knows. I think he *expects* them to know what to do in all situations, because he knew what to do in all situations. Unfortunately, the Sox players have proven they *don't* know what to do in situations, and they need to be coached. For me, that's where the disconnect is between Ventura and the players.

You can say big-league players are supposed to know situations, but the reality is that minds tend to wander on the ballfield even for most professional players. Even at the big-league level, things need to be reinforced over and over again until they become second nature.

Every time somebody gets on first base, the first base coach reminds them to freeze on a line drive. Does a big-league player know that? Of course he does. A 10-year-old knows that. But you still from time to time see a big-league player get doubled off on a liner in the infield. Reinforcement is necessary, but I sometimes wonder if Robin realizes that, because he was not the type of player who needed a lot of reinforcement.

GoSox2K3
05-01-2015, 03:25 PM
Tyler Flowers said there was some in-game conversation between players about cleaning up their acts, but he said he imagines a team meeting with Ventura will come soon.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-report-white-sox-twins-spt-0501-20150430-story.html

He imagines a team meeting will come soon? :rolleyes:

They should have had a "team meeting" yesterday if those things even matter. What should be happening "soon" is for heads to start rolling. This team is ridiculous.

Paulwny
05-01-2015, 03:30 PM
Here's the thing: I read and hear a lot of comments about what a bad manager Ventura is, but most of them are centered on a "lack of fire" or an "inability to teach fundamentals." I don't think either of those two things are the issue. Plenty of managers who "lacked fired" have won, and damn, it's not real hard to "teach fundamentals." There are Little League dads in every community in America who can do that.

Think back about Robin as a player. He was a smart player, very few mental mistakes, good defensively, knew what to do in all situations -- with the bat, with the glove, even on the bases (although he had no wheels). That's part of the reason he had a fairly successful 15-year career in the bigs. He knew what he was doing out there.

I think Robin *expects* his guys to know what he knows. I think he *expects* them to know what to do in all situations, because he knew what to do in all situations. Unfortunately, the Sox players have proven they *don't* know what to do in situations, and they need to be coached. For me, that's where the disconnect is between Ventura and the players.

You can say big-league players are supposed to know situations, but the reality is that minds tend to wander on the ballfield even for most professional players. Even at the big-league level, things need to be reinforced over and over again until they become second nature.

Every time somebody gets on first base, the first base coach reminds them to freeze on a line drive. Does a big-league player know that? Of course he does. A 10-year-old knows that. But you still from time to time see a big-league player get doubled off on a liner in the infield. Reinforcement is necessary, but I sometimes wonder if Robin realizes that, because he was not the type of player who needed a lot of reinforcement.

Here's how I feel about todays' players. For example, "don't make the 1st or 3rd out ay 3rd base". Yet, you see players, on many teams, trying to steal 3rd or try to stretch a double into a triple, trying to throw out a runner at home instead of keeping a double play in order. In the back of my mind I think many players are more concerned with their personal stats over the good of the team, better stats more money.

Irishsox1
05-01-2015, 03:52 PM

The Robin Ventura I remember was a guy who just plugged along day after day with little to no emotion or change in effort. What's odd was the one time he ran out to fight Nolan Ryan which was totally out of character.

The problem with Robin as a manager is the team losses too many games. Is it his personalty?, is it the players?, is it the assistant coaches?....I don't know for sure but what I do know is under Ventura the Sox have consistently been a .500 or under team.

As a manager of a MLB team, wins matter and Robin is losing too many games.

beasly213
05-01-2015, 03:57 PM
"Good teams win games. Bad Teams have meetings. We are at a point where we are having a lot of meetings." -Ozzie Guillen

cards press box
05-01-2015, 04:01 PM
Jim Leyland is out there. Not a long term solution but maybe exactly what this team needs right now.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXqmBjsADxLJ5ZZc9svcsTup4TYb89u XGHlrsdx8qpJ3Rk0muu

DrCrawdad
05-01-2015, 04:08 PM
"Good teams win games. Bad Teams have meetings. We are at a point where we are having a lot of meetings." -Ozzie Guillen

Great quote!

Jim Leyland is out there. Not a long term solution but maybe exactly what this team needs right now.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXqmBjsADxLJ5ZZc9svcsTup4TYb89u XGHlrsdx8qpJ3Rk0muu

I'd take Leyland. Heck give LaRussa a call! Get them both here. Get the band back together!

jdm2662
05-01-2015, 04:13 PM
while we are at it, why don't we call Jack McKeon, too!

SOXSINCE'70
05-01-2015, 04:40 PM

So is Ron Gardenhire. Just sayin'.

SOXSINCE'70
05-01-2015, 04:41 PM
while we are at it, why don't we call Jack McKeon, too!

Is Al Lopez available??:D::D:

Hope that's teal.I'm color blind.

SOXSINCE'70
05-01-2015, 04:49 PM
Just my dumb opinion,but this "team meeting" should have taken place 2 WEEKS AGO.

Lip Man 1
05-01-2015, 04:52 PM
Regarding Jimmy Leyland, time may have changed things but remember JR personally met with him before they hired Manuel and offered him the job.

Leyland turned him down and when asked why; said he was upset over the way JR and the organization treated his friend Gene Lamont.

Lip

Soxman219
05-01-2015, 09:45 PM
Better be tonight after this crap.

JB98
05-01-2015, 09:48 PM
Whenever this meeting occurs, hopefully playing smarter baseball and understanding situations will be the topic of conversation.

Let's forget about the debacle in the opener in Minnesota for a moment, and take an example from last Sunday's game against Kansas City -- a game the Sox actually won.

Kendrys Morales, who has ZERO stolen bases in the last six years, is on first base. The Sox allow him to advance to second base when John Danks makes an errant pickoff toss. Jose Abreu was somewhat near the bag, but he wasn't holding Morales on, per se, and wasn't really expecting a pickoff throw, and why would he? It's Morales. He isn't running.

The Sox will allow a guy like Alcides Escobar to steal second and third without even a throw at times, but they'll allow a guy like Morales an extra base with an errant throw while needlessly "trying to hold him close" or something. *** are they thinking out there?

If you watched the game last night, you saw Eaton's foibles in the outfield, so I won't go over that in specifics. But suffice to say, the Sox have an annoying habit of allowing opposing baserunners to take an extra 90 feet here and extra 90 feet there for bull**** reasons.

Another gift costs the game tonight.

soxnut67
05-01-2015, 11:08 PM

I like your thinking. Its kind of like the guy at a company who was s a great worker but not necessarily would be a good manager.

I like Robin but he needs to be fired. He's not a good manager.

soxnut67
05-01-2015, 11:16 PM
The only meeting this team needs is the one where Rick Hahn shows Robin the door.

Lip Man 1
05-01-2015, 11:33 PM
The only meeting this team needs is the one where Rick Hahn shows Robin the door.

And Flowers too.

Lip