PDA

View Full Version : John Roseboro dead

Paulwny
08-19-2002, 06:47 PM
The old Dodger/Giant feud.

(Marichal contended Roseboro returned a pitch close to his head while he was batting. The future Hall of Fame pitcher hit Roseboro over the head twice, opening a 2-inch gash that sent blood flowing down the catcher's face. )

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/wire/sns-ap-bbo-obit-roseboro0819aug19.story?coll=sns%2Dap%2Dbaseball%2 Dheadlines

SOXSINCE'70
08-19-2002, 06:55 PM
Marichal got an 8 game suspension for that incident.He could not pitch in L.A. against the Dodgers the last weekend of the season.
The result:the Giants lose the NL pennant to the Dodgers by 2 games.
Wish I were old enough to see it the first time around.I was only 3 at the time.

Paulwny
08-19-2002, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by SOXSINCE'70
Marichal got an 8 game suspension for that incident.He could not pitch in L.A. against the Dodgers the last weekend of the season.
Wish I were old enough to see it the first time around.I was only 3 at the time.

I remember seeing Roseboro's bloody face in the papers the following day, not a pretty picture. This is a case of two teams who really hated each other, they never needed the media to hype the hatred.

SOXSINCE'70
08-19-2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

I remember seeing Roseboro's bloody face in the papers the following day, not a pretty picture. This is a case of two teams who really hated each other, they never needed the media to hype the hatred.

I remember one Dodger player ( the name escapes me) who wouldn't let his kids celebrate Halloween because Black and Orange were Giants colors.

Paulwny
08-19-2002, 07:16 PM

I remember one Dodger player ( the name escapes me) who wouldn't let his kids celebrate Halloween because Black and Orange were Giants colors.

LOL

SI1020
08-20-2002, 10:47 AM
Wish I were old enough to see it the first time around.I was only 3 at the time. I was 14 and it was big news for a long time. Roseboro was tough as nails and very sound defensiively. He shut down the Sox running game in the 59 WS which was one of the major reasons they lost.