PDA

View Full Version : The bell is toiling for Joe Carter's broadcast career

cheeses_h_rice
08-19-2002, 03:42 PM
Stone's back in the booth for Cubs

August 19, 2002, 12:06 PM CDT

After a two-year absence, Steve Stone will return to the Cubs television booth for the 2003 season.

WGN-TV has announced that Stone will work a full schedule with Chip Caray for all WGN-TV, WCIU, and Fox Sports Net Chicago broadcasts next season.

"This is a very happy day for me," said Stone in a press release from the Cubs. "I’m thrilled to be teamed with Chip again and I want to thank WGN and the Cubs organization for bringing me back."

"Steve Stone is one of the premier analysts in baseball and we’re excited to add his expertise to our broadcasts," said John McDonough, Cubs Vice-President, Marketing and Broadcasting, in the same release.

A former pitcher with the Cubs and the White Sox and a Cy Young Award winner, Stone began as the analyst on WGN-TV's Cub broadcasts in 1983. He spent his first 15 years in the booth alongside Hall of Fame broadcaster Harry Caray.

Stone was paired with Chip Caray from 1998-2000 before leaving WGN-TV to work as a competition consultant.
Copyright © 2002, ChicagoSports.com

:carter

Well, that are oh-fine. I are looking forward to sitting back and sharing some epithets with my fellow retired Cubbie broadtasters like Harry Brickhouse and Jack Caray!

CuckTheFubs
08-19-2002, 03:58 PM

"I maid Jarrin Dackson seem like a genesis."

How'd you like to be in Joe Carter or Dave Otto's position? They've got to continue announcing those games while everyone knows that you've been replaced for next year? What a classy organization.

CuckTheFubs
08-19-2002, 04:09 PM
The new Cubbie broadcast duo?

34 Inch Stick
08-19-2002, 04:29 PM
Personally, I'd much rather "be in" someone like Britteney Spears rather than Dave Otto or Joe Carter.

Iguana775
08-19-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by CuckTheFubs
The new Cubbie broadcast duo?

OMG!!! that was freaking hilarious!!!!!!

CuckTheFubs
08-19-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Personally, I'd much rather "be in" someone like Britteney Spears rather than Dave Otto or Joe Carter.

Dave Otto or Joe Carter, can't say that I've thought of them in that way. I'd bet that Stone has though.

HawkDJ
08-19-2002, 04:51 PM
I can't wait to hear "That ball traveled 400 happy feet" again....

34 Inch Stick
08-19-2002, 04:52 PM
I thought that was just a bad rumor. He does love puffing away at those cigars though, and he is extremely neat and has a big adams apple. I think the only way to really know is if he wears cut off jeans shorts and rollerblades.

MarkEdward
08-19-2002, 05:25 PM
Joe Carter actually had a great quote regarding the labor dispute:

From BP's The Week in Quotes:
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/20020819wiq.shtml

"What this issue is really about is that the owners want the players to police the owners."
--Joe Carter, former outfielder, on labor negotiations

DVG
08-20-2002, 01:29 AM

So the Cubs are getting rid of me. I'll apply for a job with the
Cardinals. I've always wanted to team up with Jack Buck.

DrCrawdad
08-20-2002, 04:59 PM
I'll miss the Joe Carter miscues that Boers & Bernstein regularly play.

One thing I have to hand the Cubs organization is their PR Machine. They announce that they’ve rehired Stone, hanging Carter and Otto out to dry. There is no outcry about the treatment of Carter and Otto.

On the other hand, the Sox fire a Disc Jockey and it creates a firestorm against the Sox.

DVG
08-21-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

One thing I have to hand the Cubs organization is their PR Machine. They announce that they’ve rehired Stone, hanging Carter and Otto out to dry. There is no outcry about the treatment of Carter and Otto.

On the other hand, the Sox fire a Disc Jockey and it creates a firestorm against the Sox.

:ass

DDDAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! Course it does!!!!! 'Cause anyding dat
da Sahks do is wrong!!!! Dey oughta be contra-a-a-a-cted and
moved to Warshington, D.C. And I'm da smartest guy on da
ray-dio, and a Sahks fan!!!

DVG
08-21-2002, 04:43 PM

You write the truth. Imagine the Sox hanging DJ out to dry. The
Trib would put it on the front sports page and Mariotti would
scream that they are horrible brutes and blowing up the ball-
park with the team in it is too soft a fate for them.

Jerry_Manuel
08-21-2002, 05:32 PM

It's a tad different.

Stone is good at what he does, and Carter is fun to listen to, but bad at what he does.

The Sox got negative press because they fired him over playing a song. Which is one incident, not an entire season of screwups.