PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Tidbit

RKMeibalane
08-19-2002, 01:28 PM
Frank Thomas is hitting .290 this season when batting in the number five spot.

Fire Manuel!

:jerry

"Don't blame me. I just do what I'm told."

:KW

"Don't blame me. I just do what I'm told."

:reinsy

"This is your fault, fans. If you come to the park, I will tell Kenny to tell Jerry to put Frank Thomas in the five slot. Otherwise, nothing will be done."

MisterB
08-19-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Frank Thomas is hitting .290 this season when batting in the number five spot.

So What. JM tried that and at the same time Maggs hit .253 in the 3 spot and everyone was pissed at him for tinkering with the lineup. I hope for his sake that he quits, because as long as the Sox suck, he can do no right in anyone's eyes...

RKMeibalane
08-19-2002, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by MisterB

So What. JM tried that and at the same time Maggs hit .253 in the 3 spot and everyone was pissed at him for tinkering with the lineup. I hope for his sake that he quits, because as long as the Sox suck, he can do no right in anyone's eyes...

Magglio's slump had more to do with the fact that his back was bothering him. You may remember that he injured it during the first game that new lineup was used. It took him a few weeks to get going again, even after he was moved back into the cleanup spot.

MisterB
08-19-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

Magglio's slump had more to do with the fact that his back was bothering him. You may remember that he injured it during the first game that new lineup was used. It took him a few weeks to get going again, even after he was moved back into the cleanup spot.

Yeah, but try to get anyone around here to believe that. :D:

RKMeibalane
08-19-2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by MisterB

Yeah, but try to get anyone around here to believe that. :D:

Perhaps I should have made that "Fire Manuel" comment teal. It was meant to be a joke, as the subsequent dialogue with JM, KW, and JR.

Jerry Manuel has become one of many scapegoats on this White Sox team. Whether he is deserving of that dubious distinction remains to be seen. However, it is worth mentioning that he has been too concerned with minor details and has, therefore, lost sight of the big picture.

I suppose Manuel's attitude this season is a direct result of his rapidly diminishing power and influence within the Sox organization. Ken Williams seems intent on hiring one of his friends as manager, and he no longer appears interested in letting Manuel deal with any problems that arise with the ballclub itself.

As a result of Williams' interference, JM probably continues to micro-manange because this makes him feel as though he is still in control of his team, even though everyone knows that is not true. Case and point: KW holding secret meetings and sticking his nose in private clubhouse affairs (i.e. Paul Konerko vs. Frank Thomas).