PDA

View Full Version : Pitching order for Seattle

carltonfisk
08-09-2001, 01:14 PM
I was wondering if any of you knew the pitching order when we play the Mariners. It's a shame Jerry couldn't have moved Buehrle up so he could go this weekend. I'm starting to worry that our guys are going to get eaten alive by Irchiro & Co. One more thing. I know I'll probably get ripped apart for this, but I wish the Sox would be able to keep David Wells around next year. Yeah, he stunk up the place this year, but look at his overall record. Pretty consistent. If he can get back from this surgery, I think he could put up some productive numbers. I mean, look at the past few years. Our guys are good, but still young. That experience would be good.

Jerry_Manuel
08-09-2001, 01:17 PM
Buehrle went on Wednesday so he's out
Lowe goes today so he's out.
So that means it is:
Garland
Wright
Glover

I know Glover is starting Sunday I'm not sure if Garland or Wright start the first game.

Randar68
08-09-2001, 01:20 PM
I was wondering if any of you knew the pitching order when we play the Mariners. It's a shame Jerry couldn't have moved Buehrle up so he could go this weekend. I'm starting to worry that our guys are going to get eaten alive by Irchiro & Co. One more thing. I know I'll probably get ripped apart for this, but I wish the Sox would be able to keep David Wells around next year. Yeah, he stunk up the place this year, but look at his overall record. Pretty consistent. If he can get back from this surgery, I think he could put up some productive numbers. I mean, look at the past few years. Our guys are good, but still young. That experience would be good.

Well, the rotation is going to be Garland, Wright, Glover.....

Yeah, we are going to have to get some very good outings. Seattle has Sele, Paul Abbott, and Piniero (who has eaten us alive in a couple of outings).....

I, too, am all for resigning D. Wells. He is still a veteran leader, and maybe his absense is why Kip Wells has regressed??? I can't see us trying to be WS contenders with Buehrle, Lowe, Kip, Garland, and Wright as our rotation....to young and too inexperienced. I don't want the Sox to pick up his 10 million dollar option, but if all he's going to do is sign a minor league deal with the Yankme's, Id' rather resign him for 2-5 million!!!

BTW, if he leaves, after the last 3 years, assuming compensation rules aren't altered, the Sox would likely get NY's 1st rounder and a sandwich pick....

doublem23
08-09-2001, 01:22 PM
I want Kenny Williams to try and find a way to bring Sirotka back. Hell yeah!

delben91
08-09-2001, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

I, too, am all for resigning D. Wells. He is still a veteran leader, and maybe his absense is why Kip Wells has regressed??? I can't see us trying to be WS contenders with Buehrle, Lowe, Kip, Garland, and Wright as our rotation....to young and too inexperienced. I don't want the Sox to pick up his 10 million dollar option, but if all he's going to do is sign a minor league deal with the Yankme's, Id' rather resign him for 2-5 million!!!

BTW, if he leaves, after the last 3 years, assuming compensation rules aren't altered, the Sox would likely get NY's 1st rounder and a sandwich pick....

There's a couple of ways to look at possibly resigning Boomer.

On one hand, you can say, he was bad for the clubhouse, slamming the big hurt, and that his health wasn't the greatest and what's to say next year will be any better for him.

At the same time, we took a shot with Eldred, who doesn't have nearly the career Boomer has, though Cal was only 32 to Boomer's 38. Plus, for a lower salary, maybe and incentive laden deal, it's a minimal risk. Also, he did seem to have a positive effect on the young pitchers, so that's another bonus.

It's a pretty close call, but if the price is right, I'm for it.

Paulwny
08-09-2001, 01:27 PM
If the sox don't pick up Wells' option isn't he considered released and no comp. is necessary? I really don't know or understand mlb rules on this.

doublem23
08-09-2001, 01:29 PM
I totally agree. I wouldn't mind giving David Wells a chance to redeem himself in Chicago, I just don't see him taking a deal for like $3-5 million dollars.

The other problem we run into is, WE HAVE TOO MANY DAMN PITCHERS. I mean, this year we've had solid starts from: Buehrle, Wright, Kipper, Rocky, Lowe, and Garland, not to mention Parque will be returning.

I'd love to see Wells back next year, but realistically, I just don't see it happening.

But if we're serious about making a run at the play-offs, I think we need some veteran leadership to come into the staff. Maybe not someone to be a #1 (cuz, lets face it Buerhle is), but someone to come in and give our staff some credibility.

Ohhhh, to have signed Clemens instead of Navarro.....

delben91
08-09-2001, 01:32 PM
Maybe not someone to be a #1 (cuz, lets face it Buerhle is)

Amen to that brother!!

:)

Paulwny
08-09-2001, 01:32 PM
Or signed Mussina instead of Wells

Randar68
08-09-2001, 01:35 PM
If the sox don't pick up Wells' option isn't he considered released and no comp. is necessary? I really don't know or understand mlb rules on this.

Well, I really don't know if this detail matters. Wells becomes an UFA, and contract options can only be given when a player is no longer arbitration eligible, so there may be a side clause to this that I am unaware of...

carltonfisk
08-09-2001, 01:48 PM
The other problem we run into is, WE HAVE TOO MANY DAMN PITCHERS. I mean, this year we've had solid starts from: Buehrle, Wright, Kipper, Rocky, Lowe, and Garland, not to mention Parque will be returning.

I agree that we've had great, solid starts from Buehrle and Lowe. Parque's been fine in the past. Wright did a good job the other day, so we'll have to give him time. But personally, I really am hesitant to agree on the other guys. Kip's been on a downward spiral and landed in the bullpen. He's just too inconsistent. As for Garland, I'd say keep him in the bullpen until we can really count on him. He's just been too sparatic. I didn't watch his last start, but I got the impression he didn't do too well. (I could be wrong ,though). As for Rocky, he needs to wait. He's shown what he's capable of, but too many mistakes. I guess only time will tell how good our staff is. For now though (and for the next year), I think bringing back Wells would help bring some veteran leadership and more of a presence to the staff.

Bmr31
08-09-2001, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Well, the rotation is going to be Garland, Wright, Glover.....

Yeah, we are going to have to get some very good outings. Seattle has Sele, Paul Abbott, and Piniero (who has eaten us alive in a couple of outings).....

can you say SWEEP??? and i dont mean the good way :)