PDA

View Full Version : Phillip Humber's perfect game and subsequent drop-off

vinny
04-21-2015, 12:17 PM
Three years ago today. He spent last year in the A's AAA club, and now has gone to pitch for the Kia Tigers in Korea. Just amazing how he fell off the face of the planet after achieving the ultimate in MLB pitching performance.

TheVulture
04-21-2015, 01:05 PM
That was an oddity. It wasn't like it came out of nowhere, he looked pretty damn solid the previous season as well. Still only 32, I wonder if he'll ever get another shot.

jdm2662
04-21-2015, 01:06 PM
I remember that day. My wife had to go back to the hospital after having my son. We had just brought her back home. I was holding my one week old son during the last couple of innings.

There is no bigger flame out than Joe Cowley. After his infamous no-hitter against the Angels, he never won a big league game...

Noneck
04-21-2015, 01:31 PM
His was the most dominate perfecto I have seen. He is in the history books no matter what else happens.

Irishsox1
04-21-2015, 01:32 PM
The Humber game was a lightning strike and when they showed him the list of pitchers that threw perfect games, he said "what is my name doing up there?".

By the way, I was on acid when Humber threw the perfect game, kinda like Dock Ellis.

FielderJones
04-21-2015, 01:45 PM
The Humber game was a lightning strike and when they showed him the list of pitchers that threw perfect games, he said "what is my name doing up there?".

Slightly longer MLB career (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/roberch01.shtml)

ChiSoxNationPres
04-21-2015, 02:11 PM
Well he did have pretty great stuff and was a former 1st round pick I believe. So, the perfecto isn't that difficult to wrap my mind around, its his fall to being the worst pitcher in the game that is puzzling.

Andrew C White
04-21-2015, 02:41 PM
Slightly longer MLB career (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/roberch01.shtml)

Heckuva strikeout to walk ratio....

cards press box
04-21-2015, 03:32 PM
For one day in April 2012, Phil Humber was really, really good . . .

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQADzLvMYhXLMGNYAyjg78V-Pk-g7E5VtIg1tDTgttVOohknvKJ

amsteel
04-21-2015, 04:28 PM
I was overseas for a job interview and blew a gasket when I found out about it.

One of the weird events where I remember exactly where I was and how I felt when it happened. Or least when I found out about it.

mccoydp
04-21-2015, 04:33 PM
My wife and I were celebrating her birthday in Cancun when I heard the news. I was shocked, to say the least. I still have never seen it.

voodoochile
04-21-2015, 04:35 PM
Relive the magic...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=133769

Harry Potter
04-21-2015, 05:23 PM
I had the good fortune of being at that game with DeadMoney and another friend.

Perfect timing all around - had been waiting to see a game in Seattle and the schedule worked out that the Sox were playing there the first weekend after Tax Season ended for me.

Never thought I'd get to see a perfect game - for my team - on the road.

An experience I will never forget.

Bobby Thigpen
04-21-2015, 05:34 PM

By the way, I was on acid when Humber threw the perfect game, kinda like Dock Ellis.
Seriously?

Vestigio
04-22-2015, 09:20 AM
I missed the entire game. Since I'm such a good cousin, I took my teenage cousins to see the first Hunger Games movie. Jealous much?

Atleast I didnt miss Buehrle's perfecto...

thomas35forever
04-22-2015, 01:19 PM
That was the first no-hitter I witnessed while working at the Tribune. Since I was new, I was trying very hard to hold my excitement in, but it didn't work that well. Just a rookie move in a room filled with newspaper veterans.:redface:

I felt even after it happened that Humber wasn't going to last very long with the Sox. However, I don't think I anticipated the lack of success that would come after.