PDA

View Full Version : *Official* You gotta be bleepin' me 4/20 Sox Walk Off Postgamer

vinny
04-20-2015, 10:04 PM
Just when I thought I was out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN!

:D:

guillensdisciple
04-20-2015, 10:05 PM
That **** was ****ing bat**** crazy.

Boondock Saint
Fundamentals? Late inning comebacks?

You gotta be bleeping me!

DumpJerry
I told my friend that this is what Melky was signed for when he came up.

I think Hawk wet his pants in the 9th.

WhiteSox5187
04-20-2015, 10:06 PM

Honestly, I'm not sure who needed that win more, the team, Hawk or myself. Maybe all three.

I really hope this can result in them getting some momentum.

soxfan21
Robertson with the win, Cabrera with the walk off, you gotta be bleepin me is right! The kind of win we need, let's get a streak going now!

amsteel
What the hell was that?

I hope Eaton getting that hit in the ninth was exactly what he needed.

all*star quentin
04-20-2015, 10:07 PM
And that's how it's done. :cool:

harwar
04-20-2015, 10:07 PM
Terribly exciting .. totally unexpected .. absolutely outstanding!!! .. more please..

SOXBOY
04-20-2015, 10:08 PM
Wow just wow...finished Bulls game to catch the end..boy what a come back

Tragg
04-20-2015, 10:08 PM
As the Skin Bracer ad used to say: Thanks, we needed that.

voodoochile
04-20-2015, 10:09 PM

I shut off the video feed on my laptop after the Bulls game ended and went to my desktop. Just to be a glutton for punishment I started following on Gamecast. I may have to stop watching on my MLB.TV subscription if this keeps up.

Hey how about Beckham and Flowers being a huge part of this comeback. For a couple of WSI whipping boys they are both off to fine offensive starts this season.

:soxwin:

:supernana:

:)

cv sox fan
04-20-2015, 10:10 PM
nice game boys this might be just what we needed.

anewman35
04-20-2015, 10:11 PM
Early in the game, I was just disgusted by the crap baseball the team was playing. I actually turned it off but out it back on for the bottom of the 9th. At least for the night, I'm feeling much better now :bandance:

mbwhitesox
04-20-2015, 10:11 PM
Most fun I've had watching a Sox game in a while! Way to go boys great comeback :bandance::bandance::bandance:

Noneck
04-20-2015, 10:12 PM
Hopefully this is the turn around game.

Why Flowers wasnt pinch run for baffled me.

I missed part of game, thanks to all for not hanging me by my thumbs.

SoxSpeed22
04-20-2015, 10:12 PM
Well this is a pleasant surprise before going to sleep.

tstrike2000
04-20-2015, 10:13 PM
Ended up like most of us predicted.

soltrain21
04-20-2015, 10:14 PM

That had nothing to do with what was happening on the field.

jdm2662
04-20-2015, 10:14 PM
Hopefully this is the turn around game.

With no catchers left, who catches in the 10th?

ChiSoxGal85
04-20-2015, 10:15 PM
Ok, let's be honest. About 90% of that game was not fun to watch at all. The lack of offense and the stupid mental errors have been maddening. (Reminds me of the 2014 team, except without the terrible bullpen - but that hasn't mattered much up to now, because there have been almost no leads to blow.)

So then came the 9th...and watching Robertson pitch the top of the 9th (he is deadly), and the Sox pulling the win out of their behinds like that...well, that was awesome. More wins please! :bandance::bandance::bandance:

PS: Noneck, who would catch if they pinch ran for Flowers? They'd already subbed out Soto with Flowers.

anewman35
04-20-2015, 10:16 PM

Soto started. No third catcher.

Noneck
With no catchers left, who catches in the 10th?

I missed it? Soto played?

My mistake, I missed part of game, Thank You.

voodoochile
Ended up like most of us predicted.

:tealpolice:

amsteel
04-20-2015, 10:20 PM
A ****ty game for 8 innings offensively, but credit the bullpen for 3 scoreless IP and the offense obviously in the ninth.

Sparks start fires. Hopefully this was a spark.

BleacherBandit
04-20-2015, 10:20 PM
Jeebus that was a clunker until the very end. Eaton's final at-bat started off terribly. Can't believe he got finally got on base when it mattered. He was so hyped it seemed like even he was surprised with himself.

pdimas
04-20-2015, 10:23 PM
Wow just wow...finished Bulls game to catch the end..boy what a come back

Nice pic of my L flag in your signature. The girl holding it up is my sister. Sadly I'm hidden by the flag.

Noneck
04-20-2015, 10:25 PM
And I was going to post what a waste having Robertson is.

FielderJones
04-20-2015, 10:25 PM
I watched all the way through; had to call Mrs FJ back to the game after she had given up. I sort of knew Beckham would do something good and she'd want to see that. :wink:

Then I checked out the game thread. Boy, that did not disappoint! :D:

I'm done watching this game for a while. Don't think we're gonna get many hits again, and fundamentals are still lacking. Same crap different day.

It's so hard to be a fan of this team.

White Sox Fever 2015 - when you catch it hope for a quick and painless death

White Sox baseball: falling on our faces in April year after year after year.

I don't think there will be any sense of euphoria at the end of this game.

Welcome to last place

Maybe Ventura will be fired at the end of the year, when it's too late, but that's only a maybe.

Eaton completely overmatched.

White Sox are going to be 6.5 back after tonight

It's a long season. Every team is going to through some slumps, unless there's some super-team that's destined to win 110. It sucks that the Sox are having a team slump now, but by the end of the year everyone will be near or at their lifetime averages. If that works out, the Sox will have a chance for meaningful games in September.

By the way, should Francona be fired for leaving his obviously struggling closer out there to piss a won game away?

Soxman219
04-20-2015, 10:27 PM
Please! Please let this be the start of a LONG winning streak.

asindc
04-20-2015, 10:28 PM
I watched all the way through; had to call Mrs FJ back to the game after she had given up. I sort of knew Beckham would do something good and she'd want to see that. :wink:

It's a long season. Every team is going to through some slumps, unless there's some super-team that's destined to win 110. It sucks that the Sox are having a team slump now, but by the end of the year everyone will be near or at their lifetime averages. If that works out, the Sox will have a chance for meaningful games in September.

By the way, should Francona be fired for leaving his obviously struggling closer out there to piss a won game away?

I approve of this post.

Brian26
04-20-2015, 10:31 PM
I shut off the video feed on my laptop after the Bulls game ended and went to my desktop. Just to be a glutton for punishment I started following on Gamecast. I may have to stop watching on my MLB.TV subscription if this keeps up.

Hey how about Beckham and Flowers being a huge part of this comeback. For a couple of WSI whipping boys they are both off to fine offensive starts this season.

:soxwin:

:supernana:

:)

Yep. I switched channels in the 8th to go watch wrestling. Came back and started rewinding the DVR to see the a Sox celebration at homeplate. You gotta be bleepin' me.

TDog
04-20-2015, 10:32 PM
Remember when the White Sox were doing that on defense on a regular basis?

Really a frustrating game until Garcia's double in the ninth. After Gillaspie's walk and the wild pitch, I saw "runs(s)" pop up for Ramirez and thought it might have been a run-scoring fly or groundout leaving Flowers as the last hope. When I saw it was a double, I found a television with MLB to see Beckham punch a ball through the infield to tie the game, the Eaton hit and Cabrera getting the deep fly on a 3-2 pitch to end it.

If Cabrera had gotten the bunt down in the third, this might have been a different ballgame, but such frustrated speculation is irrelevant for a game that felt so good when it ended, and not very good very soon before that. White Sox baseball: Not unlike getting hit in the head with a hammer.

A quality start for Danks, although it didn't feel like it while I was following the game. He didn't pitch well enough to win this game, and fortunately the White Sox have a closer who doesn't go mental in non-save situations when the game needs to stay close.

I don't have to wonder how it feels for Indians fans to watch their starter pitch masterfully in what would be a losing effort. Been there, will no doubt be there again, but hopefully not often in the foreseeable future.

Until the ninth tonight, the Sox probably looked dead, but superior pitching will do that to a team. I hope Jennings is all right. MLB left me hanging on him coming out of the game after an injury delay.

The offense still hasn't begun to click yet. But Garcia has been impressive, and got it started today. Beckham, who incredibly has only three fewer RBIs than Abreu, continues to do a very nice job off the bench. Maybe it's because he isn't playing every day. Even with the Angels last September he was playing just about every day, just not in the same place on the infield.

I'm not worried about Abreu, though, and LaRoche has show some pop. This is one of those wins I hope fans can look at in a couple of months as a point where it started to come together.

thomas35forever
04-20-2015, 10:33 PM
This may be just what this team needed. The lineup is solid. We just need the pitching, particularly the rotation, and some better defense to keep us in games.

cbone
04-20-2015, 10:47 PM

That is perfectly said.

DonnieDarko
04-20-2015, 10:47 PM
I could have listened to the comeback on my radio on the way home from work. Instead I turned it off right after I got out, in the 8th.

I don't think I'll do that again this season if they can do this every once in awhile.

Wedema
04-20-2015, 11:13 PM
I could have listened to the comeback on my radio on the way home from work. Instead I turned it off right after I got out, in the 8th.

I don't think I'll do that again this season if they can do this every once in awhile.

Lots of fans at the ballpark left after the eighth also and missed the great comeback win.

Lip Man 1
04-20-2015, 11:23 PM
You hope something like this can finally wake these guys up because yet again until the 9th inning they were completely D.O.A.

Lifeless at bat's, mental mistakes in the field (hello Garcia with his 'double pump')...the bad plays just don't seem to end.

And again Raburn drills the Sox. I think it was South Side Sox last year that found he's got the highest batting average in history for one player against another team. The Sox might simply want to walk him in non game situations and worry about somebody else. How he hits the Sox is simply amazing.

Lip

ricker182
04-20-2015, 11:31 PM
Can someone give Danks credit? He pitched pretty well outside of a couple mistakes.

TDog
04-20-2015, 11:40 PM
Can someone give Danks credit? He pitched pretty well outside of a couple mistakes.

I thought I did, but I don't believe I gave him enough credit.

hoosiersoxfan
04-20-2015, 11:41 PM
Lots of fans at the ballpark left after the eighth also and missed the great comeback win.

Just got home from the game. I considered leaving after Abreu struck out to end the 8th. Thank goodness I decided to stay! Hopefully the team can get on a roll now. Need Noesi to step up tomorrow.

DSpivack
04-20-2015, 11:58 PM
I though they were about to bust open the game with 2 on and 1 out in the 6th. Glad I was wrong.

I was sitting by the RF foul pole. After the bottom of the 7th I went up to go to the bathroom and then to the Comcast Zone or whatever it's called to see the rest of the Bulls game. Then I sat back down and it was the bottom of the 8th. Good timing there.

Railsplitter
04-21-2015, 06:14 AM
:bandance:

DumpJerry
04-21-2015, 07:16 AM

That had nothing to do with what was happening on the field.
So, you're saying Hawk wet his pants because he's an old man with bladder control issues?

Hitmen77
04-21-2015, 07:56 AM

Oh for crying out loud, can we just enjoy the ****ing comeback win without turning this into a "HA HA! This is my chance to show up people who have dared to complain about the Sox performance so far this year....Anyone who has said anything bad about this team so far this year is a fool!" discussion?

We may as well shut down WSI for any discussion except positive ones because the Sox will have some great comebacks like this one.

Hitmen77
04-21-2015, 08:05 AM
A quality start for Danks, although it didn't feel like it while I was following the game. He didn't pitch well enough to win this game, and fortunately the White Sox have a closer who doesn't go mental in non-save situations when the game needs to stay close.

I think is a great point. For all this struggles since his injury, Danks was able to keep us in the game by limiting the Indians to 3 runs over 6 IP. Not spectacular, but he got the job done.

If this was last year's bullpen, they probably would have come in and let the Tribe put the game out of reach by giving up something like 4 or 5 runs before the Sox made a too little, too late comeback in the 9th. Having great pitchers in the pen makes a difference! :smile:

ChiSoxGal85
04-21-2015, 09:14 AM
I think is a great point. For all this struggles since his injury, Danks was able to keep us in the game by limiting the Indians to 3 runs over 6 IP. Not spectacular, but he got the job done.

If this was last year's bullpen, they probably would have come in and let the Tribe put the game out of reach by giving up something like 4 or 5 runs before the Sox made a too little, too late comeback in the 9th. Having great pitchers in the pen makes a difference! :smile:
+1. I'm not a Danks fan, but really 3 runs is not bad for him, and last year's pen would have blown this wide open.

I *am* curious as to why Francona left his closer in to lose that game, when it was apparent that Allen didn't have it.

asindc
04-21-2015, 09:32 AM
Oh for crying out loud, can we just enjoy the ****ing comeback win without turning this into a "HA HA! This is my chance to show up people who have dared to complain about the Sox performance so far this year....Anyone who has said anything bad about this team so far this year is a fool!" discussion?

We may as well shut down WSI for any discussion except positive ones because the Sox will have some great comebacks like this one.

Griping is one thing, declaring the 2015 season a fait accompli after 11 games is another.

FielderJones
04-21-2015, 09:36 AM
Griping is one thing, declaring the 2015 season a fait accompli after 11 games is another.

I approve of this post.

Andrew C White
04-21-2015, 09:56 AM
I was just about to click send last night when the power went out here.

One thing that stood out for me last night was watching Robertson come in the game in a non-save situation and pitch lights out. When was the last time the Sox had a closer come in and do that? Jenks and Reed were horrible in non-save situations. Robertson pitched like it was the 7th game of the World Series. Very nice to see.

Hopefully the Sox will follow this up with better play today and be on their way to fulfilling their potential.

Andrew C White
04-21-2015, 10:03 AM
+1. I'm not a Danks fan, but really 3 runs is not bad for him, and last year's pen would have blown this wide open.

I *am* curious as to why Francona left his closer in to lose that game, when it was apparent that Allen didn't have it.

Yes, I understand that Allen is his closer but it was obvious that he didn't have it last night and was getting pounded. After Flowers single I would have pulled him, certainly after Beckham's it was obvious that it just wasn't his night.

As for Danks, when he can do that he's a useful pitcher. Sadly, that is as good as he gets these days. But when he has his control and can hit his spots while changing speeds he can give us 6 good innings and keep us in the game. When he misses his spots and leaves the ball up he gets hammered cuz his stuff just isn't good enough anymore.

cws05champ
04-21-2015, 10:04 AM
This is the impact that Carlos Rodon has!!! See they should have started the season with him on the big club!

Foulke You
04-21-2015, 10:14 AM
I found it more curious that Francona left his middle infielder (Mike Aviles) in CF for the 9th inning when he had Michael Bourn sitting on the bench available as a late inning defensive replacement. Alexei crushed that ball to CF but on a chilly night, it died at the track but thankfully just out of the reach of Aviles. A more competent CF probably catches that ball. However, Allen was so terrible, the Sox might have tied up that game anyway even with 2 outs.

And again Raburn drills the Sox. I think it was South Side Sox last year that found he's got the highest batting average in history for one player against another team. The Sox might simply want to walk him in non game situations and worry about somebody else. How he hits the Sox is simply amazing.

The Raburn Sox killing thing is truly one of baseball's great mysteries. It's pretty rare that a guy can owe his entire career and roster spot to one opponent. I've seen plenty of Sox killers before but never one with such a huge disparity of production against other opponents. 18 of Raburn's career 75 HRs are against the Sox (11 of them at US Cellular Field) 77 career RBI against the Sox. Next closest opponent for Raburn is versus KC at 24 RBI. A +53 RBI difference. He only has 298 RBI in his entire career so the 77 RBIs against the White Sox represent 26% of his career RBI total! He plays like an all star against the Sox and a guy who is lucky to be in baseball against every other opponent.

I thought Danks turned in a solid start. If not for the mental gaffe by Avi in RF, he likely only gives up 2 runs instead of 3. In any case, I look at Danks as a #5 guy and I'll take 6 innings and 3 runs given up any day of the week from him. He also did this against a team that has historically owned him.

Bobby Thigpen
04-21-2015, 10:19 AM
Raburn kills me on MLB10 too...

SI1020
04-21-2015, 10:45 AM

I *am* curious as to why Francona left his closer in to lose that game, when it was apparent that Allen didn't have it. Agree on Danks and the bullpen and I wondered too about Francona leaving Allen in. Especially in light of this.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2015/04/cleveland_indians_2015_bullpen.html

Hitmen77
04-21-2015, 11:00 AM

I approve of this post.

That is such bull****. I re-read the quotes that were cherry picked from the game thread and none of them declared the season over. Those quoted posts where pretty much the level of frustration that I'd expect given how the game was going at that point...and how the season has gone so far to this point for that matter. But, way to put words in people's mouths!

But, this is not surprising coming from 2 posters who recently ripped on someone for a freaking innocuous thread title. It's a shame that we can't just enjoy this great win without seeing this as a golden opportunity to dump on other posters again.

How dare people feel frustrated so far this season and during a game thread while the Sox are losing. Stupid WSI posters. :rolleyes:

cards press box
04-21-2015, 11:04 AM

Lip

True enough but if he plays in the next two games, he'll have to face some hard throwing righties. Let's see how that works.

Anyway, that was an amazing comeback last night and

:winner

GoSox2K3
04-21-2015, 11:08 AM

:scratch: So, just because all managers make poor decisions means that nobody is allow to question whether Ventura is doing a good enough job to remain Sox manager?

Holy false equivalency, Batman!

That is such bull****. I re-read the quotes that were cherry picked from the game thread and none of them declared the season over. Those quoted posts where pretty much the level of frustration that I'd expect given how the game was going at that point...and how the season has gone so far to this point for that matter. But, way to put words in people's mouths!

But, this is not surprising coming from 2 posters who recently ripped on someone for a freaking innocuous thread title. It's a shame that we can't just enjoy this great win without seeing this as a golden opportunity to dump on other posters again.

How dare people feel frustrated so far this season and during a game thread while the Sox are losing. Stupid WSI posters. :rolleyes:

I approve of this post.

FielderJones
04-21-2015, 11:10 AM
:darkcloud:

GoSox2K3
04-21-2015, 11:12 AM

I'm done watching this game for a while. Don't think we're gonna get many hits again, and fundamentals are still lacking. Same crap different day.

It's so hard to be a fan of this team.

White Sox Fever 2015 - when you catch it hope for a quick and painless death

White Sox baseball: falling on our faces in April year after year after year.

I don't think there will be any sense of euphoria at the end of this game.

Welcome to last place

Maybe Ventura will be fired at the end of the year, when it's too late, but that's only a maybe.

Eaton completely overmatched.

White Sox are going to be 6.5 back after tonight

So? Those comments look mostly reasonably to me in the amount of frustration people were feeling at that point in the game.

What's you're point? No one can say anything negative when the Sox are losing because we don't have a crystal ball to know that they'd come back to win.

We may as well just scrap the entire game day thread format and not allow people to say anything until post game.

GoSox2K3
04-21-2015, 11:13 AM
:darkcloud:

Yep. Something we agree on.

MISoxfan
04-21-2015, 11:13 AM

Not even one single quoted post said a word about the entire season.

Irishsox1
04-21-2015, 11:14 AM
What's up with Beckham?....he's hitting the ball.

Glad they got the win, shows why having a bullpen is very important, keeps games close that could spin out of control.

As for this Sox team, they have to get to .500 and go from there. The Sox have not been 3 games over .500 since 2012.

FielderJones
04-21-2015, 11:23 AM
So? Those comments look mostly reasonably to me in the amount of frustration people were feeling at that point in the game.

What's you're point? No one can say anything negative when the Sox are losing because we don't have a crystal ball to know that they'd come back to win.

We may as well just scrap the entire game day thread format and not allow people to say anything until post game.

The amount of angst in the game thread is hilarious to me, followed by quick switch to celebration in the post-game thread. I'm not policing anything., just pointing out how bipolar this place can get. Some people get prickly when that's pointed out.

doublem23
04-21-2015, 11:24 AM

It's hard to feel bad for Danks considering he's making $14 million and has an ERA still above 6, but the Sox have offered him awful run support so far this year. Until the 9th inning, they had scored a total of 3 runs for him in 3 games.

doublem23
04-21-2015, 11:29 AM
I found it more curious that Francona left his middle infielder (Mike Aviles) in CF for the 9th inning when he had Michael Bourn sitting on the bench available as a late inning defensive replacement. Alexei crushed that ball to CF but on a chilly night, it died at the track but thankfully just out of the reach of Aviles. A more competent CF probably catches that ball. However, Allen was so terrible, the Sox might have tied up that game anyway even with 2 outs.

Absolutely, and I think that's when the complexion of the whole inning changed. If Alexei's double is caught, and I think a good CF probably could have tracked back and made that play, Garcia scores on the sac fly, but there's 2 outs and the Sox still need 2 runs to tie. Hugely different scenario than being down 1 with 1 out and the tying run in scoring position.

Even if Bourn was unavailable for some reason, the Tribe don't have any other CF options besides a guy who has played a total of 15 innings over 5 games in CF in his career? That's like Ventura using Gordon Beckham in CF, and I can't imagine the meltdown this place would have had if the tables were turned and the Sox pissed away a 9th inning lead thanks to some real bad defensive tactics. I think that was a huge mistake by Tito.

GoSox2K3
04-21-2015, 11:29 AM
The amount of angst in the game thread is hilarious to me, followed by quick switch to celebration in the post-game thread. I'm not policing anything., just pointing out how bipolar this place can get. Some people get prickly when that's pointed out.

I agree it can be amusing to see the swing in emotions. Yesterday was one of those game that brought out a roller coaster of emotions in fans. Nothing wrong with it IMO. Not a Sox easy win like Saturday and not the Sox losing big time on Sunday, but a maddening game until the last 15 minutes or so (which is all that mattered).

doublem23
04-21-2015, 11:34 AM

Maybe not playing everyday helps keep him fresher? Maybe getting tossed aside last year by the Sox and Angels helped shake up his game?

Probably, though, just small sample size. He's played in 10 of the 12 games so far this year, but he's only come up to bat 16 times. Every hit accounts for nearly 70 points of BA. I betcha even in his worst of times, there are a few 15 AB sequences you can find where he got 6 hits.

I agree with you about the mental hump of getting over .500, too. Seems like every time they hit break even the last few years, they always lose. It feels like over the last 2 years, their record in games played when they entered with a .500 record is something like 2-20.

Andrew C White
04-21-2015, 11:37 AM

That's a good point about Aviles. He looked completely lost going after Alexei's fly ball. I had assumed Bourn was hurt. If he was available to play then that was a bad move on Francona's part keeping Aviles in there. Definitely time for a defensive replacement. Aviles also gave up on Melky's hit at the end which Bourn might have caught. Flowers still likely would have tagged and scored but catching the ball and attempting a throw is a must in that situation. The hit was not a given.

TDog
04-21-2015, 11:38 AM
Yes, I understand that Allen is his closer but it was obvious that he didn't have it last night and was getting pounded. After Flowers single I would have pulled him, certainly after Beckham's it was obvious that it just wasn't his night. ....

Did Francona have anyone warming up in the bullpen. I ask, because, A: I seriously don't know, and B: If he had pulled his closer with no one warming up in the bottom of ninth, that would have been bad, Terry Bevington bad.

asindc
04-21-2015, 12:04 PM

Not even one single quoted post said a word about the entire season.

My comments about gloom and doom go beyond the game thread.

This thread is an example of what I'm talking about, with post #27 particularly telling:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=142540

With less than 10% of the season played so far, even if they were 12-0 instead of 5-7, I would find it equally absurd (but no more or no less) that some would be talking about playoffs.

I think the over-the-top frustration some have continually expressed since the first 3-4 games of the season has more to do with not having made the playoffs since 2008 and having an inexperienced manager look like he's in over his head than what's happening on the field so far this season. Understandable. But to think this team was not going to struggle at some point during the season, when virtually every MLB team that has played a full season has struggled (and will struggle) at some point, is unrealistic.

Hitmen77
04-21-2015, 12:10 PM
It's hard to feel bad for Danks considering he's making $14 million and has an ERA still above 6, but the Sox have offered him awful run support so far this year. Until the 9th inning, they had scored a total of 3 runs for him in 3 games.

He certainly isn't to blame for the Sox slow start this year. If he can go 6 IP with only giving up 3 runs and then turn it over to the bullpen in the 7th in a typical outing this season, then the Sox should have a good chance to win a lot of those games.

We'll see how Noesi does tonight. He's only had one start so far this season.

JB98
04-21-2015, 12:34 PM
I found it more curious that Francona left his middle infielder (Mike Aviles) in CF for the 9th inning when he had Michael Bourn sitting on the bench available as a late inning defensive replacement.

Yeah, it was like Cleveland had Mackowiak in CF. Bizarre strategy by Francona, for sure, especially since his regular CF was presumably available to come in for defensive purposes.

When that drive off the bat of Ramirez fell in, that was the break the Sox needed to get back in the game. They took advantage.

IronFisk
04-21-2015, 12:52 PM
I'm totally like...

http://cdn.dejanseo.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/whoa.jpg

Andrew C White
04-21-2015, 01:15 PM
Did Francona have anyone warming up in the bullpen. I ask, because, A: I seriously don't know, and B: If he had pulled his closer with no one warming up in the bottom of ninth, that would have been bad, Terry Bevington bad.

I don't believe he did. But obviously if you reach the point where you realize that your pitcher is not getting the job done your first step is to get someone up and getting ready quickly. You then utilize whatever delaying tactics you can to get them the time to warm up. He didn't do any of that.

captain54
04-21-2015, 01:20 PM
But to think this team was not going to struggle at some point during the season, when virtually every MLB team that has played a full season has struggled (and will struggle) at some point, is unrealistic.

I think you are completely missing the point as to why some fans are frustrated and vent.. We have endured two miserable seasons, and a lot of bad baseball..the fans were told to hang on, a lot of $$$ would be coming off the books, and a new day will dawn, Sox fans..

Now here we are, another crappy opening of a season, reminiscent of the last two yrs, with the exception of the bullpen, just a lot of same old, same old..

I think fans have been plenty patient.. You need to give them a break.

asindc
04-21-2015, 01:54 PM
I think you are completely missing the point as to why some fans are frustrated and vent.. We have endured two miserable seasons, and a lot of bad baseball..the fans were told to hang on, a lot of $$$ would be coming off the books, and a new day will dawn, Sox fans..

Now here we are, another crappy opening of a season, reminiscent of the last two yrs, with the exception of the bullpen, just a lot of same old, same old..

My point is that we don't know yet if this season is the same old, same old.

Foulke You
04-21-2015, 02:08 PM

Part time role seems to suit him well. He faces a lot of lefties which helps. I think limiting his at bats also doesn't expose him as much. So far, he has been a valuable bench piece to have on the team especially since he plays plus defense at 3B and 2B.

Absolutely, and I think that's when the complexion of the whole inning changed. If Alexei's double is caught, and I think a good CF probably could have tracked back and made that play, Garcia scores on the sac fly, but there's 2 outs and the Sox still need 2 runs to tie. Hugely different scenario than being down 1 with 1 out and the tying run in scoring position.

Even if Bourn was unavailable for some reason, the Tribe don't have any other CF options besides a guy who has played a total of 15 innings over 5 games in CF in his career? That's like Ventura using Gordon Beckham in CF, and I can't imagine the meltdown this place would have had if the tables were turned and the Sox pissed away a 9th inning lead thanks to some real bad defensive tactics. I think that was a huge mistake by Tito.
Yeah, it was like Cleveland had Mackowiak in CF. Bizarre strategy by Francona, for sure, especially since his regular CF was presumably available to come in for defensive purposes.
When that drive off the bat of Ramirez fell in, that was the break the Sox needed to get back in the game. They took advantage.
Bourn was indeed available according to the Tribe's website. He was just getting a day off or "giving him a blow" as managers are fond of saying. A poor choice by Tito especially the way the wind wreaks havoc at The Cell. Robin would definitely be public enemy #1 if he allowed an infielder to play CF in a 3-0 game in the 9th with say a J.B. Schuck or Adam Eaton sitting on the bench.

jdm2662
04-21-2015, 02:14 PM
Part time role seems to suit him well. He faces a lot of lefties which helps. I think limiting his at bats also doesn't expose him as much. So far, he has been a valuable bench piece to have on the team especially since he plays plus defense at 3B and 2B.

Yes. He's always had nice streaks here and there. Of course, when those happened, the ol Hawk would hype his fellow Georgia boy as the greatest ever.

Beckham is now in a role he is most suited for. Nothing wrong with having such player on your bench.

ChiSoxGal85
04-21-2015, 02:31 PM
I just watched that 9th inning again. So much goodness all around, starting with Robertson in the top of the inning, and then everything goes right for the Sox with the game on the line. Garcia doubles on an 0-2 count, Aviles misplays that Alexei double, then single after single, good baserunning (no stupidity!), Francona leaves in his melting closer, Melky lets that tempting breaking ball go on a 3-2 count....wow. I think I better save this game to remind me why it can be fun to be a Sox fan. :smile:

TDog
04-21-2015, 02:33 PM
Maybe not playing everyday helps keep him fresher? Maybe getting tossed aside last year by the Sox and Angels helped shake up his game?

Probably, though, just small sample size. He's played in 10 of the 12 games so far this year, but he's only come up to bat 16 times. Every hit accounts for nearly 70 points of BA. I betcha even in his worst of times, there are a few 15 AB sequences you can find where he got 6 hits. ....

Beckham has had hot and cold streaks in the past. Last year, he initially had a rough time after coming back from his injury (actually, about as rough a time as his replacement was having at that point), and was hitting just .167 on May 5. He was approaching .300 at .297 on May 28 and was hitting .298 on June 9 before his average started to drop. In his rookie season, of course, he was hitting over .300 before he was moved to the No. 2 spot and his average plummeted.

I don't know if his track record tells you that much about where he is now. It might be that starting only occasionally and coming late into other games, he is benefiting from more favorable matchups, which is probably true to a degree, although the pitcher he was matched up against as a pinch hitter Monday night wasn't the pitcher he hit to tie the game.

It's possible he has a different focus on his hitting than he has in the past, that his is more focused on his adjustments because he isn't playing ever day. At the same time, there may be less that teams can find to exploit to force his adjustments. Maybe he doesn't get the attention from advance scouts that he used to. Maybe having a smaller role on the team with a lower salary is making him hungrier.

Beckham has always had major-league skills. He is a second basemen White Sox pitchers want on the field in a double-play situation. He has had some offensive high points in his career, although that roller coaster ride has had more valleys than peaks.

It could well be that he is maturing in a role for which he is well-suited. He wouldn't be the first major leaguer who has looked a lot better as mostly a bench player than a regular.

Hitmen77
04-21-2015, 02:36 PM

:clap:

Well said.

May as well shut down Clubhouse and Gameday on this site for a few months because it's pointless to discuss anything negative about the Sox performance this early in the season.

asindc
04-21-2015, 03:06 PM
May as well shut down Clubhouse and Gameday on this site for a few months because it's pointless to discuss anything negative about the Sox performance this early in the season.

As I said earlier, with less than 10% of the season played so far, even if they were 12-0 instead of 5-7, I would find it equally absurd that some would be talking about playoffs. It's as if someone was rejoicing and assuming playoffs after starting 12-0. Speaking of which, I've read posts from some posters who caution against over-exuberance, yet express indignation about being reminded that a terrible start does not necessarily mean a terrible season is to follow. I see no difference between the two notes of caution.

If the Clubhouse is to be used exclusively to express displeasure, then maybe we have different understandings of what the Clubhouse is about.

doublem23
04-21-2015, 03:37 PM
Beckham has had hot and cold streaks in the past. Last year, he initially had a rough time after coming back from his injury (actually, about as rough a time as his replacement was having at that point), and was hitting just .167 on May 5. He was approaching .300 at .297 on May 28 and was hitting .298 on June 9 before his average started to drop. In his rookie season, of course, he was hitting over .300 before he was moved to the No. 2 spot and his average plummeted.

I don't know if his track record tells you that much about where he is now. It might be that starting only occasionally and coming late into other games, he is benefiting from more favorable matchups, which is probably true to a degree, although the pitcher he was matched up against as a pinch hitter Monday night wasn't the pitcher he hit to tie the game.

It's possible he has a different focus on his hitting than he has in the past, that his is more focused on his adjustments because he isn't playing ever day. At the same time, there may be less that teams can find to exploit to force his adjustments. Maybe he doesn't get the attention from advance scouts that he used to. Maybe having a smaller role on the team with a lower salary is making him hungrier.

Beckham has always had major-league skills. He is a second basemen White Sox pitchers want on the field in a double-play situation. He has had some offensive high points in his career, although that roller coaster ride has had more valleys than peaks.

It could well be that he is maturing in a role for which he is well-suited. He wouldn't be the first major leaguer who has looked a lot better as mostly a bench player than a regular.

The matchups, at this point, on paper don't seem to be favoring him. He's had 16 PA this year, 9 have come against lefties, his supposed favorable matchup, against which he is hitting .250/.333/.250 and 7 against righties, supposedly his bad mactchup, against whom he is hitting .571/.571/1.143. This is, almost assuredly more than anything, just a case of small sample sizes skewing results. I fully expect by July and August to see the spirit of those numbers reversed.

That said, yes, I agree that Gordon has MLB-quality skills. He plays good, if overrated defense, offers a degree of flexibility, and does enough with the bat to justify a righty/lefty platoon. Seems like he was just overexposed when playing everyday, but when used strategically and less often, the early results seem to show that he is responding to his new role.

captain54
04-21-2015, 04:12 PM

This would be same old, same old…according to my definition

As of May 1:

2010 - 5 games back, under .500
2011 - 10 games back, under .500
2012 - tied for 1st, over .500
2013 - 4.5 games back, under .500
2014 - 4 games back, under .500

Over the last 5 seasons, 4 of them have been crappy starts.. I'll reserve judgement as to what the situation will be come May 1, 2015

TDog
04-21-2015, 04:25 PM
The matchups, at this point, on paper don't seem to be favoring him. He's had 16 PA this year, 9 have come against lefties, his supposed favorable matchup, against which he is hitting .250/.333/.250 and 7 against righties, supposedly his bad mactchup, against whom he is hitting .571/.571/1.143. This is, almost assuredly more than anything, just a case of small sample sizes skewing results. I fully expect by July and August to see the spirit of those numbers reversed.

That said, yes, I agree that Gordon has MLB-quality skills. He plays good, if overrated defense, offers a degree of flexibility, and does enough with the bat to justify a righty/lefty platoon. Seems like he was just overexposed when playing everyday, but when used strategically and less often, the early results seem to show that he is responding to his new role.

I don't know that matchups are entirely about righty-lefty percentages. He isn't going up against pitchers who regularly overpower him in one way or another, as he has in the past. Last night, he was retired by the lefty and got a hit against the righty, but I think he still matched up well against the righty in that situation. He looked like he knew what he needed to do to tie the game. It wasn't just a hit. It was a key hit at a point where his at bat could have made the difference between winning and losing, and he seemed very much in control.

It isn't even simply a matter of hits, because he seems to be having great at bats, especially compared with the other infielders, first base included

I don't know if his past numbers reflect what he can do and what he could do if he played up to his potential. I also don't know that his past inability to play up to his potential doesn't mean he can't play up to his potential in what some would consider a more humbling role.

Last year at a game I attended in San Francisco, Beckham made a tremendous defensive play, starting a double play that no one where I was sitting could believe they saw to send a game to extra innings in which Beckham would drive in the winning run the next half inning. If he played like that all the time, Micah Johnson would still be in the minors, maybe playing the outfield. And maybe if Beckham wasn't playing every day he wouldn't have gone into those prolonged slumps that had such a great impact on his career numbers.

Some player need to play every day to play well. I've seen others who are great off the bench (Rob Mackowiak comes to mind), but like fish and visitors, tend to smell after three days. It's only April, but Beckham is looking like he could be a superior bench player.

voodoochile
04-21-2015, 04:33 PM
This appears to be the earliest recorded Pollyanna vs darkcloud fight in board history.

Obviously this is all Robin's fault...:tongue:

I agree that staying out of the game threads is a good idea for people who don't want to see every single negative thing get picked to death and I also think the poster who appears to have started the hubbub did not call out posters by name by not attributing or linking the quotes that seemed to have set things off here. People have a right to vent. Other people have a right to find those vents amusing. I will sometimes go back to game threads to relive the angst after a fun late inning win knowing it is safe to do so.

People should continue to vent, not vent, point out venting and even simply sit back and watch the season unfold as they see fit. No one said you had to be happy with the way this season has started and more so given that the top two teams in MLB both play in the ALC at present making the Sox mediocre start that much more frustrating and problematic.

Perhaps we can all learn to ignore the slights both perceived and real that sometimes come our ways after a particularly roller coaster loss/win. Heck if we lived through September 2005 together we can damned well survive this...

kufram
04-21-2015, 04:44 PM
I actually hope Beckham succeeds because we need a guy like him in the current role. Perhaps removal of the golden boy nomenclature has given him a new perspective and he will be able to reach his potential out from under it. It won't be the first time a player took a while to get it. It could just be a little streak on the other hand but it has come at a good time.

As far as the negative/positive argument goes everyone is entitled to their opinion but the negatives are not the only ones to get short shrift from the other side. Shouting from the sidelines, in my opinion, is about as useful as a hothead manager that kicks dirt at the ump... the crowd might like it but it never changes the call, just makes the kicker feel a little better. That said Robin takes dour to a whole new level.

I think there were some unrealistic expectations built up before the start of the season and a poor start has dashed them on the rocks. What happens if Rodon struggles for 10 minutes?

I think we will be ok because we only need guys to play up to their usual standard which does happen generally, but that's just me. I'm not saying we are playoff bound because KC and Detroit look like very good teams to me, but I'm pretty sure they don't completely discount us yet.

Domeshot17
04-21-2015, 05:13 PM
This may come as a shock to many here coming from me, I still believe this is a good team that will fight for a Wild Card spot (health provided). They have talent, they have to learn to play together. Look at Shark, he needed to stop trying to strike everyone out, he needed to trust his defense, after Ramirez made that jumping catch, he relaxed, has been good.

That said........ I hope Hawk retires. One of the best comebacks we will have all year, and we get the worst catch phrase in all of sports. Hawk is like your drunk uncle at a big party who has the punch bowl on his head while non-relatives look at you and judge you for being related.

Hitmen77
04-22-2015, 10:47 AM
As I said earlier, with less than 10% of the season played so far, even if they were 12-0 instead of 5-7, I would find it equally absurd that some would be talking about playoffs. It's as if someone was rejoicing and assuming playoffs after starting 12-0. Speaking of which, I've read posts from some posters who caution against over-exuberance, yet express indignation about being reminded that a terrible start does not necessarily mean a terrible season is to follow. I see no difference between the two notes of caution.

If the Clubhouse is to be used exclusively to express displeasure, then maybe we have different understandings of what the Clubhouse is about.

There you go again, putting words in peoples mouths and changing the argument. Nobody ever said that.

This appears to be the earliest recorded Pollyanna vs darkcloud fight in board history.

Obviously this is all Robin's fault...:tongue:

I agree that staying out of the game threads is a good idea for people who don't want to see every single negative thing get picked to death and I also think the poster who appears to have started the hubbub did not call out posters by name by not attributing or linking the quotes that seemed to have set things off here. People have a right to vent. Other people have a right to find those vents amusing. I will sometimes go back to game threads to relive the angst after a fun late inning win knowing it is safe to do so.

People should continue to vent, not vent, point out venting and even simply sit back and watch the season unfold as they see fit. No one said you had to be happy with the way this season has started and more so given that the top two teams in MLB both play in the ALC at present making the Sox mediocre start that much more frustrating and problematic.

Perhaps we can all learn to ignore the slights both perceived and real that sometimes come our ways after a particularly roller coaster loss/win. Heck if we lived through September 2005 together we can damned well survive this...

VC,
You make a great point. There's nothing wrong with poking fun at Gameday thread angst in hindsight and I see what you mean that names were kept out of the quotes so as to not specifically call out individual posters.

What I do take exception to, though, is the suggestion that people who are expressing anger/frustration over the Sox performance so far this season are being "absurd", calling it quits on the entire season, and want only posts with negative comments.

I guess from now on, I'm just staying out of the Gameday threads altogether. What's the point of commenting on the current progress (or lack thereof) of the game if a nice comeback win means it's time to call people's comments absurd?

voodoochile
04-22-2015, 04:40 PM
VC,
You make a great point. There's nothing wrong with poking fun at Gameday thread angst in hindsight and I see what you mean that names were kept out of the quotes so as to not specifically call out individual posters.

What I do take exception to, though, is the suggestion that people who are expressing anger/frustration over the Sox performance so far this season are being "absurd", calling it quits on the entire season, and want only posts with negative comments.

I guess from now on, I'm just staying out of the Gameday threads altogether. What's the point of commenting on the current progress (or lack thereof) of the game if a nice comeback win means it's time to call people's comments absurd?

As you prefer, but the other side of the coin is to simply laugh with glee when your negative comments turn out to be wrong. I tend to lean more that direction.

doublem23
04-22-2015, 09:30 PM

I assume the same thing the other side of the aisle accomplishes when they post the same, repetitive, crybaby whiny nonsense every time the Sox don't score a run.