PDA

View Full Version : First road win of the season! 4-14 postgamer

Railsplitter
04-14-2015, 09:15 PM
Also three in a row
:bandance::bandance::bandance:

tony1972
04-14-2015, 09:16 PM
I have a good feeling about this team this year...

aryzner
04-14-2015, 09:17 PM
Seriously, how awesome is it watching a real closer finish games for the Sox? Robertson was absolutely dialed in in the 9th. The curve to strike out Jerry Sands was unreal to watch.

OmahaSoxFan
04-14-2015, 09:17 PM
Watching Duke deal in the 8th and Robertson dominate in striking out the side in 9th inning made up some for the last few years of watching the Sox' bullpens implode.

These two are going to be a joy to watch this season...

Three in a row, don't stop now boys! :bandance:

anewman35
04-14-2015, 09:18 PM
So I'm thinking that Robertson was a pretty good signing...

DumpJerry
04-14-2015, 09:19 PM
When King George's sons took over the Yankees after he died, many said they were stupid. Letting Robertson leave town proves the critics were correct.

David Robertson: we are not worthy!:worship:

Boondock Saint
04-14-2015, 09:20 PM
David Robertson is better than I'd hoped for. A true ace at the back of the bullpen.

Zakath
04-14-2015, 09:20 PM
How the hell did the Yankees let this guy go?

domerdoc11
04-14-2015, 09:21 PM
So nice to breathe easy with a 9th inning lead. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwU9Xaz0Y9g

soxfan21
04-14-2015, 09:24 PM
Nice to watch this bullpen lock this game down.

harwar
04-14-2015, 09:29 PM
It's pretty darn cool when you look forward to the closer coming in, instead of dreading it..

cheezheadsoxfan
04-14-2015, 09:31 PM

Been wondering that too..

DumpJerry
04-14-2015, 09:32 PM
Been wondering that too..
We were told the Sons of King George were lacking in brain power.

MinnieMinoso
04-14-2015, 09:36 PM
Maybe this bullpen will put an end to all the Quintana no decisions. How many times in the past did he leave the game with a lead only to see the bullpen let the other team tie it up and then end up blowing the game.

spongyfungy
04-14-2015, 09:39 PM
Man, this bullpen is good. Indians had zero chance

cheezheadsoxfan
04-14-2015, 09:42 PM
We were told the Sons of King George were lacking in brain power.

Well let's be grateful. :cool:

cv sox fan
04-14-2015, 09:43 PM
Im liking Duke in the 8th and Robertson in the 9th. Nice game gentlemen

PalehosePlanet
04-14-2015, 09:45 PM
Watching Duke deal in the 8th and Robertson dominate in striking out the side in 9th inning made up some for the last few years of watching the Sox' bullpens implode.

Yep, Sox pen strikes out 8 of 10 batters faced in three innings tonight.

I kinda liked the Duke signing when it happened, but after watching him pitch the last week, I now love the signing. As for Robertson, he's one of the top 5 closers in the game.

Nice win.

voodoochile
04-14-2015, 09:48 PM
So how many games do the Sox have to win in a row for Robin to get an extension? :tongue:

If/when this whole team hits together they are going to put up a LOT of runs...

:soxwin:

BainesHOF
04-14-2015, 09:51 PM
Some good things are happening. The bullpen is taking shape nicely. It has the potential to be great. Nice first at-bat by LaRoche, who drove in a run without being greedy. Quintana gave the team its second quality start in a row.

Some bad things continue. Eaton is now the poster boy for the club's atrocious baserunning. Has anyone ever talked with Eaton? I'm starting to think he's not the brightest. He looked like a fool getting thrown out at third for the final out of the inning. The defense was bad tonight with poor throws by Gillaspie and Ramirez. It was Gillaspie's third error already. If you're scoring at home, that's not good.

And a special mention needs to be made of Flowers' continuing problems behind the plate. He actually whiffed on one of Quintana's curveballs, and a number of balls popped out of his mitt. Plus he made another bad throw to second to allow a runner to steal who would have been out with a good throw. You just can't keep trotting out a catcher who is having trouble catching.

Lip Man 1
04-14-2015, 09:56 PM
Can't ask for much more from your bullpen then to record eight strike outs in the final three innings. That's the way to close a game.

Nice to see a little better offense tonight.

Hope Carrasco is OK...those are scary.

Downside tonight for the Sox, two more errors and yet another passed ball by Flowers. Guy just can't seem to catch pitches can he? He's 'corrected' his vision so I can't figure out what it can be.

Don't stop now boys!

Lip

soxfanreggie
04-14-2015, 09:56 PM

Hopefully this means more wins for our no decision guy Quintana. We have tried a lot of people in the pen over the last few years trying to find out what works. Some were small financial risks and some were bigger financial risks, but they didn't lead to an overall good pen because of a variety of factors. It's a very small sample size so far, but I have a growing confidence in our own when I see things like that.

Hitmen77
04-14-2015, 09:57 PM
Great to get the win. Now let's sweep this short series tomorrow morning.

Once Petricka comes back, we should have at least 4 solid relievers out of the pen with Robertson, Duke, and Jennings.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Sox bats come alive. This offense should be able to give us a lot of runs this year if they play up to their potential.

Maybe this bullpen will put an end to all the Quintana no decisions. How many times in the past did he leave the game with a lead only to see the bullpen let the other team tie it up and then end up blowing the game.

Quintana could help his own cause by going deeper into games. I'm glad we have him, but he does tend to run up his pitch count to the point that he gets pulled by the 5th or 6th innings.

Otherwise, yeah, if this continues I look forward to seeing the bullpen lock down some more wins for him.

thomas35forever
04-14-2015, 09:58 PM
Missed this one, but glad to see three wins in a row.

SoxSpeed22
04-14-2015, 10:01 PM
I enjoy these new guys.

Corlose 15
04-14-2015, 10:27 PM
If they can get Putnam turned around and get Petricka healthy this has the potential to be a very good bullpen. Albers has potential as well. That's before you consider wild cards like Jones and Crain.

Church Turtle
04-14-2015, 10:32 PM
Listened to the game over the MLB app. "Blackout" kept me from watching it live.

:bandance::bandance::bandance: (Borrowing from a previous post, but 3 wins deserves 3 bananas any day!)

Noneck
04-14-2015, 10:32 PM
That was one tough loss for Carrasco.

Brian26
04-14-2015, 10:44 PM
Puts a whole new dimension on the game. Starters just need to give us a solid six. When you can run Jennings, Duke and Robertson out for the last three innings, things are good.

FielderJones
04-14-2015, 10:46 PM
When King George's sons took over the Yankees after he died, many said they were stupid. Letting Robertson leave town proves the critics were correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUwSxqnRW-8&t=15

I would like to see the Sox dial back just a bit on the baserunning aggressiveness. Didn't cost them the game, but it would be nice to make less outs on the bases. LaRoche's out was more egregious than Eaton's, in my opinion. The play was right in front of him.

doublem23
04-14-2015, 11:10 PM
Eaton's got to stop making outs on the basepaths. Otherwise...

https://38.media.tumblr.com/504cb94fe0f41e563f435ee2f833dcb5/tumblr_n47d7f7uFv1rt5pgzo1_400.gif

JB98
04-14-2015, 11:22 PM
The Sox had three two-out hits that produced runs tonight. Good timely hitting.

It's a good time to catch Cleveland with Brantley, Gomes and Swisher all out of the lineup.

slavko
04-14-2015, 11:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUwSxqnRW-8&t=15

I would like to see the Sox dial back just a bit on the baserunning aggressiveness. Didn't cost them the game, but it would be nice to make less outs on the bases. LaRoche's out was more egregious than Eaton's, in my opinion. The play was right in front of him.

It's the new argument against taking a secondary lead again! The rule of thumb is if you're on 2B and a ground ball is hit to your left (it was) you try to advance to 3B. Nothing egregious happened. He's too slow and through no fault of his own was in No Man's Land where he would have been out whatever he did.

I do remember an indoor softball game we played in grade school gym class where you had to hold your base until the ball was put in play. Is that now supposed to become the norm in MLB?

Zakath
04-14-2015, 11:56 PM
Quintana could help his own cause by going deeper into games. I'm glad we have him, but he does tend to run up his pitch count to the point that he gets pulled by the 5th or 6th innings.

I mentioned this in the game thread, but listening to DJ and Farner on the way home, they were both complaining about him not attacking the strike zone when he's got hitters in 0-2 or 1-2 holes. He seems to want to make hitters chase garbage (like 55-foot curves) instead of forcing them to defend the zone, and invariably gets to 2-2 or 3-2. This is what leads to 19, 20, even 22-pitch innings when the other side gets at most one guy on.

He was over 80 pitches after the 4th, and ended up with 104 through 6 while giving up only 3 hits and 2 walks. 44 of those were out of the strike zone. In comparison, Sale went 6 on Sunday with 98 pitches (5 hits, 1 walk) but only 26 of those were out of the zone.

Sorry, but if you're going to be a 2 or even a 1, you don't waste pitches like that.

chisoxfanatic
04-15-2015, 12:56 AM
They knew they weren't going to have very many save opportunities, so they thought why have him wasting away in their bullpen!

JermaineDye05
04-15-2015, 01:12 AM

Which one? :cool:

Nice to see Q bounce back after a rough first start against KC.

Mohoney
04-15-2015, 01:55 AM
I mentioned this in the game thread, but listening to DJ and Farner on the way home, they were both complaining about him not attacking the strike zone when he's got hitters in 0-2 or 1-2 holes. He seems to want to make hitters chase garbage (like 55-foot curves) instead of forcing them to defend the zone, and invariably gets to 2-2 or 3-2. This is what leads to 19, 20, even 22-pitch innings when the other side gets at most one guy on.

He was over 80 pitches after the 4th, and ended up with 104 through 6 while giving up only 3 hits and 2 walks. 44 of those were out of the strike zone. In comparison, Sale went 6 on Sunday with 98 pitches (5 hits, 1 walk) but only 26 of those were out of the zone.

Sorry, but if you're going to be a 2 or even a 1, you don't waste pitches like that.

With the way this team defends, I can't really blame Quintana for wanting to avoid pitching to contact. The comparison to Sale isn't exactly fair; you can count the guys with stuff comparable to Sale on one hand.

white sox bill
04-15-2015, 06:40 AM
Still 4 games out....will KC ever lose??

MISoxfan
04-15-2015, 09:27 AM

His last start he threw 102 pitches with only 32 out of the strike zone. :dunno:

cards press box
04-15-2015, 10:15 AM
If/when this whole team hits together they are going to put up a LOT of runs...

Was thinking the same thing during last night's game.

:winner

FielderJones
04-15-2015, 10:18 AM
It's the new argument against taking a secondary lead again! The rule of thumb is if you're on 2B and a ground ball is hit to your left (it was) you try to advance to 3B. Nothing egregious happened. He's too slow and through no fault of his own was in No Man's Land where he would have been out whatever he did.

I do remember an indoor softball game we played in grade school gym class where you had to hold your base until the ball was put in play. Is that now supposed to become the norm in MLB?

I couldn't find video of the play online, and I don't have a recording of the game, but I thought the ball was to his right, not his left.

I have no problem with secondary leads. What I'd like is a level of baserunning somewhere between station-to-station and averaging over one out per game on the basepaths. I don't think that's unreasonable.

ChiSoxGirl
04-15-2015, 10:28 AM
Im liking Duke in the 8th and Robertson in the 9th. Nice game gentlemen

Absolutely agree! Prior to this season, when is the last time we saw opposing hitters consecutively retired in the ninth inning?! It feels like a lifetime ago since we had credible dudes in the bullpen. It's important to keep in mind that these guys are human, but at the same time, let's enjoy their dominance!