PDA

View Full Version : Is there any point to watching anymore?

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-19-2002, 12:13 AM
I say that there really is no point. The Sox obviously don't care and haven't since ...oh... early June. If that wasn't enough there will be no baseball in a couple of weeks & a week after baseball stops the NFL starts. I still watch in spite of all this because I love my team, but sometimes I really ask myself why.

GASHWOUND
08-19-2002, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND
I say that there really is no point. The Sox obviously don't care and haven't since ...oh... early June. If that wasn't enough there will be no baseball in a couple of weeks & a week after baseball stops the NFL starts. I still watch in spite of all this because I love my team, but sometimes I really ask myself why.

You still watch? I haven't watched an entire Sox game in a month. And I'm the guy who in '00 recorded all the Sox games.
Ohh, thank 'God' football season is here, and a team that I can actually get excited about...of course I was excited about this years Sox team

TornLabrum
08-19-2002, 12:20 AM

So I guess we don't have any chance of catching the Twins anymore?

RedPinStripes
08-19-2002, 12:23 AM
I watch just to see Crede and Harris. They've added something to look forward to.

GASHWOUND
08-19-2002, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

So I guess we don't have any chance of catching the Twins anymore?

Oh, I don't...don't we still have like 10 games left with the Twinkies..
Those Twin better watch out... :gulp:

Twins8791
08-19-2002, 03:40 AM
Oh, I don't...don't we still have like 10 games left with the Twinkies..
Those Twin better watch out... :gulp:
Shouldn't this be teal?

Anyway, you should watch the Sox-Twins games just to window shop. It's not like you couldn't outbid Pohlad for his free agents. He won't pay anybody. I think Carl is writing a book titled, "How to Win a Division on 40 Million a Year - (One Year in a Row Anyway)"

RedPinStripes
08-19-2002, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by Twins8791

Shouldn't this be teal?

Anyway, you should watch the Sox-Twins games just to window shop. It's not like you couldn't outbid Pohlad for his free agents. He won't pay anybody. I think Carl is writing a book titled, "How to Win a Division on 40 Million a Year - (One Year in a Row Anyway)"

Jerry Reinsdorf wrote that same book in 2000.

Cheryl
08-19-2002, 08:33 AM
I quit paying attention a few months ago. But I hate the Bears, so neither of these choices work for me.

hold2dibber
08-19-2002, 09:53 AM
I'm still watching because (1) I want to see Buehrle get to 20 wins; (2) I'm interested in seeing how Ginter, Biddle, Wright, Garland, Parque and Glover progress (if at all) to see if there is any reason to have any hope for next year.

Also, I don't really care about football - the other teams, besides the Sox, that I really care about are the Bulls and DePaul basketball. It's all very depressing. Maybe I should give up sports altogether and turn, intsead, to :gulp:

Procol Harum
08-19-2002, 10:03 AM
I watch a couple of innings just to see Crede and Harris, to see if there any glimmers of hope in our non-Buerhle young pitching, and to check out to see if Frank is still bad. I'm actually finding the occasional meaningful game involving contenders on ESPN more interesting than Corpseball.

Other than that, however, I am definitely moving into NFL mode, but like Cheryl, it won't be via rooting for the Urbana Bruins.

TornLabrum
08-19-2002, 10:24 AM

Shouldn't this be teal?

I'm going one better than that. I'm actually going to tonight's game. Talk about masochism!

cheeses_h_rice
08-19-2002, 10:44 AM
I'm in between. I don't think I watched more than a batter or two this entire weekend, but generally, if they're evening games in the Central or Eastern time zones, I usually watch about half of the games during the week. If they're getting blown out, I usually turn it off and play records instead, or just turn the sound off and kind of not pay attention. I do it just to keep tabs on batting averages of everyone, to see the progress on any potential starters for next year (Parque, Glover, Wright, etc.), and to see how Harris/Crede are progressing.

But yeah, compared to 2000, my White Sox obsession level is down about 98%. Not that my wife is complaining, or anything.

ode to veeck
08-19-2002, 03:47 PM
I took my son to the Sox in Oakland Friday night. He went to the bathroom in the bottom of the 3rd and missed the Sox highlights of the game: Joe Crede's three putouts

Other than that, the only other highlight was watching Burly-mon pitch, especially Dye's AB the time after his home run (Burly finished him off with serious heat on 5 or 6 ptiches)

in general though, it was pretty poor corpseball

Kloftom
08-19-2002, 08:59 PM
Go head and call me a sap. But I still love to watch because it is baseball, and I really love baseball no matter where it is played. And I really love Comiskey Park I still would go every night if I could afford it. And Why the White Sox? I know that they probably have not given it all they could have the last couple of months but if the alternantive is being a Dubs fan I will gladly take the Sox.

Daver
08-19-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Kloftom
Go head and call me a sap. But I still love to watch because it is baseball, and I really love baseball no matter where it is played. And I really love Comiskey Park I still would go every night if I could afford it. And Why the White Sox? I know that they probably have not given it all they could have the last couple of months but if the alternantive is being a Dubs fan I will gladly take the Sox.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

Chisox_cali
08-19-2002, 09:32 PM
Well not living in Chicago, and having to pay money to even get the chance to see them, I have to watch them whenever I get the chance. I really don't have the option to not watch them like you guys do, that's been pre-determined by the good folks at MLB Extra Innings :D:

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-19-2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Well not living in Chicago, and having to pay money to even get the chance to see them, I have to watch them whenever I get the chance. I really don't have the option to not watch them like you guys do, that's been pre-determined by the good folks at MLB Extra Innings :D:

Yeah, I really love listening to the Twinks announcers. NOT!!!!!

Viva Magglio
08-19-2002, 10:11 PM
My interest level in White Sox baseball has declined dramatically during the past couple of weeks. I do still follow them on a game-by-game basis, but seeing Mágglio Ordóńez play is the one motivating factor. Also, I have become disillusioned with Major League Baseball because of the upcoming season-ending strike by the players.

I am looking more and more forward to the upcoming college football season. Even though I don't expect Northwestern to go anywhere this season, the 'Cats will provide a much needed relief from the malaise of this baseball season.

As for the Bears, don't rely on them to "save" you from the White Sox. They may suck too.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-19-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
My interest level in White Sox baseball has declined dramatically during the past couple of weeks. I do still follow them on a game-by-game basis, but seeing Mágglio Ordóńez play is the one motivating factor. Also, I have become disillusioned with Major League Baseball because of the upcoming season-ending strike by the players.

I am looking more and more forward to the upcoming college football season. Even though I don't expect Northwestern to go anywhere this season, the 'Cats will provide a much needed relief from the malaise of this baseball season.

As for the Bears, don't rely on them to "save" you from the White Sox. They may suck too.

Why does everyone think the Bears are going to suck this year? All this negativity is killing me! Has anything really happened to them this summer to make them as bad as people are saying they are going to be?

doublem23
08-20-2002, 02:12 AM

Why does everyone think the Bears are going to suck this year? All this negativity is killing me! Has anything really happened to them this summer to make them as bad as people are saying they are going to be?

If the Bears win 9 games this year, I'll be ecstatic.

Jjav829
08-20-2002, 02:15 AM

I agree. I think it's just the nature of most Chicago fans. Whenever a Chicago team is expected to do well, the fans start thinking the worst. I don't see how the Bears are any worse of a team now, compared to when they walked off the field at the end of last season.

basilesox
08-20-2002, 02:39 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Twins8791

Shouldn't this be teal?

Anyway, you should watch the Sox-Twins games just to window shop. It's not like you couldn't outbid Pohlad for his free agents. He won't pay anybody. I think Carl is writing a book titled, "How to Win a Division on 40 Million a Year - (One Year in a Row Anyway)" [/QUOTe

Is it just me or does it bother anybody else that we have a member named Twins8791 sorry my antiminnesota sentiment is rising to the surface.

hold2dibber
08-20-2002, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by basilesox
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Twins8791
[B]
Is it just me or does it bother anybody else that we have a member named Twins8791 sorry my antiminnesota sentiment is rising to the surface.

I, personally, love talking to fans of "enemy" teams, as long as they're knowledgeable baseball fans, and not just "Twins rule! Sox suck!" babbling morons. Some of the best experiences I've had at Comiskey are talking to fans from other teams to get their perspective on their team, the Sox and baseball in general. I remember, in particular, great conversations I've had with A's fans and Indians fans. So no, I don't have any problem with Twins fans (or fans of any other team) chiming in on this board, as long as they're not just trolling. "Outside" perspective is welcome, in my book.

sox_fan_forever
08-20-2002, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

I, personally, love talking to fans of "enemy" teams, as long as they're knowledgeable baseball fans, and not just "Twins rule! Sox suck!" babbling morons. Some of the best experiences I've had at Comiskey are talking to fans from other teams to get their perspective on their team, the Sox and baseball in general. I remember, in particular, great conversations I've had with A's fans and Indians fans. So no, I don't have any problem with Twins fans (or fans of any other team) chiming in on this board, as long as they're not just trolling. "Outside" perspective is welcome, in my book.

I agree. As long as they are knowledgeable baseball fans I'll talk to them no matter which team they root for. I have a friend who is both a Twins fan and and Indians fan (oh my, oh my).

Twins8791
08-20-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by basilesox

I could always change my name.
My second choice was Antidisestablishmentarian Doppelganger. :smile:

Daver
08-20-2002, 10:02 PM

I could always change my name.
My second choice was Antidisestablishmentarian Doppelganger. :smile:

You don't need to change your username,your not the first Twins fan that posts here on a regular basis.We also have an Indians fan and a Tigers fan,as well as two(YES two) Cub fans.This board is open to intelligent baseball talk,it is not open to trolling,but you don't seem like the trolling type.

Twins8791
08-20-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by daver

....but you don't seem like the trolling type.
Nope. I just stand on shore and cast my line! :smile:
BTW, the Sox have shown some decent 'D' in the game tonight.