PDA

View Full Version : Danny Wrong at it again.

RedPinStripes
08-18-2002, 03:55 PM
Not looking good at all. Looks like we're in for another ass whoopin in Oakland. :whiner:

RKMeibalane
08-18-2002, 04:17 PM
Something needs to be done about the Sox pitching problems during the off-season. A verteran starter must be brought in, if for no other reason, so Manuel will have an alternative to using Wright, Parque, or Ritchie next season.

Obviously, top-notch pitching is virutally impossible to find these days. The Sox don't have the money or resources to find anyone capable of matching Mark Buehrle's numbers. Garland has the ability to do this, but he is still prone to bad starts and mistakes, so he isn't quite there, yet.

The Sox best bet would be to find a solid starter who has won in the past. They would do well to follow the example of the St. Louis Cardinals (Chuck Finley) by accquiring a veteran who is capable of winning, but won't necessarily force the club to make any long-term committments.

voodoochile
08-18-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Something needs to be done about the Sox pitching problems during the off-season. A verteran starter must be brought in, if for no other reason, so Manuel will have an alternative to using Wright, Parque, or Ritchie next season.

Obviously, top-notch pitching is virutally impossible to find these days. The Sox don't have the money or resources to find anyone capable of matching Mark Buehrle's numbers. Garland has the ability to do this, but he is still prone to bad starts and mistakes, so he isn't quite there, yet.

The Sox best bet would be to find a solid starter who has won in the past. They would do well to follow the example of the St. Louis Cardinals (Chuck Finley) by accquiring a veteran who is capable of winning, but won't necessarily force the club to make any long-term committments.

Maddux will probably be available as might Schilling or Johnson if the D-Backs continue to lose money hand over fist. As for the rest, who knows?

RedPinStripes
08-18-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Maddux will probably be available as might Schilling or Johnson if the D-Backs continue to lose money hand over fist. As for the rest, who knows?

:reinsy
HA HA HA!!!!! Keep deaming!

RKMeibalane
08-18-2002, 04:25 PM

I think those players are off-limits to the Sox. Schilling seems to be getting better with age, so the D-Backs would ask for too much in return for dealing him. And I don't think Maddux or Johnson would be interested in playing for Reinsdorf. Besides, all of them would command a fairly large sum of money, which the Sox have little of.

MrX
08-18-2002, 04:33 PM

I think those players are off-limits to the Sox. Schilling seems to be getting better with age, so the D-Backs would ask for too much in return for dealing him. And I don't think Maddux or Johnson would be interested in playing for Reinsdorf. Besides, all of them would command a fairly large sum of money, which the Sox have little of.

Schilling wouldn't come here anyway. He hates Jerry almost as much as everyone on this board does.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-18-2002, 04:35 PM

There's zero chance of us getting Schilling OR johnson OR Maddux.

Uncle Jerry isin't going to spend the kind of money needed to bring any of those guys here. However, I do hear that Jaime Navarro isin't doing anything these days.

:reinsy "Sounds interesting"

hold2dibber
08-19-2002, 01:45 PM

I disagree. Chuck Finley is a dog and he makes big $. There are plenty like him out there that the Sox could land, but why? The better (and somewhat more feasiable) route would be to identify low cost, quality guys who are about to break out. This past off season, guys like Omar Daal, Odalis Perez, Rodrigo Lopez, Paul Byrd and many others were there for the taking. They're all much better than Finley and many other high priced "proven veterans", and are much cheaper. The problem, of course, is that I have no faith that the current management has the acumen or savvy necessary to find such "diamonds in the rough" and bring them to the South Side. I, for one, would be shocked if our entire starting five next year does not consist exclusively of guys who are already in the organization (i.e., Buehrle, Garland, Wright, Ritchie, Parque, Rauch, Biddle, Glover).

RKMeibalane
08-19-2002, 01:49 PM
One thing is certain. If there is a strike, the Sox are in trouble. Fewer fans will show up at games next season, and JR will continue to whine and make excuses for the team's poor play. The starting rotation is the least of our worries, although it would be nice to see an upgrade there before 2003.

hold2dibber
08-19-2002, 02:45 PM
One thing is certain. If there is a strike, the Sox are in trouble. Fewer fans will show up at games next season, and JR will continue to whine and make excuses for the team's poor play. The starting rotation is the least of our worries, although it would be nice to see an upgrade there before 2003.

I wonder if a strike will have much of an affect on the Sox. This is a lost season anyway, so, unlike '94, I don't think Sox fans will be too pissed off about a work stoppage. If the strike ends up knocking out the World Series again, I think there will be a lot of resentment from all baseball fans everywhere. But even then, I think the Sox are pretty much down to hard core fans at this point anyway, and I don't think the cancellation of a post season that the sox weren't going to be involved in anyway, will have a huge impact. And if there is a strike that lasts only a few weeks, or even a month, but the post season and World Series go forward, I don't think there will be any attendance impact for the Sox.

Lip Man 1
08-20-2002, 03:27 PM
You are correct in that Curt Schilling despises Jerry Reinsdorf.

In August 2000 when rumors were flying that the Sox might get Schilling he was quoted as telling the Arizona Republic that he'd retire before agreeing to pitch for the Sox.

When asked why, Schilling said that during one of the labor negotiations during the 1994 strike, Reinsdorf said something to him that Schilling said was so personal, he'd never forgive him nor forget what was said.

I believe him since Reinsdorf himself told Sox fans to "shut up" during the town hall meeting a few years ago. This egomanic is capable of saying anything at any time.

Lip

FanOf14
08-20-2002, 05:16 PM
If I remember correctly, he wasn't the only pitcher that said that as well. I remember posting something similar to what Lip Man just posted earlier this season at the "official" website and had a "certain" poster tell me to quit spreading lies and to get my facts straight before posting. GO Lip Man!!!!