PDA

View Full Version : Organizational report

Daver
08-17-2002, 03:48 PM
From Baseball America:

All The Crede-ntials

CHICAGOĖFarm director Bob Fontaine is fond of saying there are chances and there are good chances. It took third baseman Joe Crede 737 minor league games, but he finally earned one of the better kind.

Despite winning MVP awards in two minor leagues, Crede didnít complain about spending four months at Triple-A Charlotte after outplaying veterans Jose Valentin and Tony Graffanino in spring training.

"It all goes back to respecting the game," Crede said. "You canít go down there and pout and say, ĎI should be in the big leagues.í Only bad things will come from that."

Crede, who made cameos in the big leagues in 2000 and í01, was handed the starting third base job when he was promoted July 30. That was among a series of moves that followed general manager Ken Williamsí trading of veterans Ray Durham, Kenny Lofton, Sandy Alomar and Bob Howry.

Crede, 24, was annually rated as the top defensive third baseman in his league. He was hitting .312-24-65 with Charlotte this year. The Sox hope a shortened swing will help at the plate. He hit .220-0-7 in 50 big league at-bats last year.

"Heís a very talented young player, one of the best this organization has had in a long while," Charlotte hitting coach Greg Walker said. "I think heíll hit for average and for power in the big leagues. He has done that everywhere he has played. Itís easy to see I like him a lot."

Knights manager Nick Capra said he thinks Crede will be a popular player. "Heís a good kid, a hard worker and he plays hard," Capra said. "He changed his stroke, so now he handles inside pitches better. He does a nice job defensively. I hope he brings a breath of fresh air to the White Sox."

Williams insisted the talent of young players such as Crede contributed as much as economics to the moves, which dropped the payroll from about $57 million to $46 million.

"I look at it more as reshuffling the deck," Williams said.

Chi-Lites

Even though Jason Dellaero got bombed in a pitching appearance at the Hall of Fame exhibition game against Colorado, Sox manager Jerry Manuel was impressed by the infielderís potential as a pitcher. "I think he might have a chance to be a pretty good pitcher, I really do," Manuel said. "He didnít do well, but you could see the strength in his arm."

The White Sox acquired six minor leaguers in the four deadline deals they made, including righthanders Jon Adkins, acquired from the Athletics for Durham, and Felix Diaz, who came over in the Lofton deal.

Nellie_Fox
08-18-2002, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by daver
"Heís a very talented young player, one of the best this organization has had in a long while," Charlotte hitting coach Greg Walker said. "I think heíll hit for average and for power in the big leagues. He has done that everywhere he has played. Itís easy to see I like him a lot."I'm glad to see that Greg Walker is still somewhere in the White Sox system. What a beautiful swing he had.

RedPinStripes
08-18-2002, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by daver
From Baseball America:

All The Crede-ntials

CHICAGOĖFarm director Bob Fontaine is fond of saying there are chances and there are good chances. It took third baseman Joe Crede 737 minor league games, but he finally earned one of the better kind.

Despite winning MVP awards in two minor leagues, Crede didnít complain about spending four months at Triple-A Charlotte after outplaying veterans Jose Valentin and Tony Graffanino in spring training.

"It all goes back to respecting the game," Crede said. "You canít go down there and pout and say, ĎI should be in the big leagues.í Only bad things will come from that."

Crede, who made cameos in the big leagues in 2000 and í01, was handed the starting third base job when he was promoted July 30. That was among a series of moves that followed general manager Ken Williamsí trading of veterans Ray Durham, Kenny Lofton, Sandy Alomar and Bob Howry.

Crede, 24, was annually rated as the top defensive third baseman in his league. He was hitting .312-24-65 with Charlotte this year. The Sox hope a shortened swing will help at the plate. He hit .220-0-7 in 50 big league at-bats last year.

"Heís a very talented young player, one of the best this organization has had in a long while," Charlotte hitting coach Greg Walker said. "I think heíll hit for average and for power in the big leagues. He has done that everywhere he has played. Itís easy to see I like him a lot."

Knights manager Nick Capra said he thinks Crede will be a popular player. "Heís a good kid, a hard worker and he plays hard," Capra said. "He changed his stroke, so now he handles inside pitches better. He does a nice job defensively. I hope he brings a breath of fresh air to the White Sox."

Williams insisted the talent of young players such as Crede contributed as much as economics to the moves, which dropped the payroll from about $57 million to $46 million.

"I look at it more as reshuffling the deck," Williams said.

Chi-Lites

Even though Jason Dellaero got bombed in a pitching appearance at the Hall of Fame exhibition game against Colorado, Sox manager Jerry Manuel was impressed by the infielderís potential as a pitcher. "I think he might have a chance to be a pretty good pitcher, I really do," Manuel said. "He didnít do well, but you could see the strength in his arm."

The White Sox acquired six minor leaguers in the four deadline deals they made, including righthanders Jon Adkins, acquired from the Athletics for Durham, and Felix Diaz, who came over in the Lofton deal.

:crede
I wasn't going to get pissy about staying in the minors. Kw can't help it that he's an idiot.

mrwag
08-18-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
I'm glad to see that Greg Walker is still somewhere in the White Sox system. What a beautiful swing he had.
I was relieved to hear that too. I always liked Walk. Too bad his playing days ended the way they did. Wouldn't it be nice to see him back in the bigs as our coach???