View Full Version : No Hawk tonight

Iwritecode
08-16-2002, 09:02 PM
Rooney and DJ? Interesting...

Daver
08-16-2002, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

I would like to know what the heck it means when he said "Ken Harrelson is on assignment this weekend".

doublem23
08-16-2002, 09:05 PM

Who's Farmer going to talk to on the radio?

3 hours by himself? *shudder*

Jjav829
08-16-2002, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by daver

I would like to know what the heck it means when he said "Ken Harrelson is on assignment this weekend".

Hmm...Suspension?

Daver
08-16-2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829

Hmm...Suspension?

Suspension for what? Though an unpaid vacation was my first thought also......

Iwritecode
08-16-2002, 09:10 PM

That could mean anything from he has a hangnail to he's vacationing in Florida...

Iguana775
08-16-2002, 09:33 PM
i was wondering who that was.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-16-2002, 09:52 PM

He's probably cleaning out the toilet in Kenny Williams office.

:hawk

"MERCY! It stinks in here!"

HootieMcBoob
08-16-2002, 09:59 PM
Ed Farmer is doing play-by-play alongside Dave Wills on the radio.

chisoxfanatic
08-16-2002, 10:00 PM

Could it possibly be the same kind of "assignment" Nardi was sent on earlier this season?

Hey, now! I'm no Nardi!

Heather the Redbird

Jerry_Manuel
08-16-2002, 10:03 PM
Unless Williams has more power then we think, Hawk is doing something else. Reinsy likes him and he hasn't said anything bad about the organization. So I doubt he's in trouble.

Figures Rooney would be on when the Bears game is on.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-16-2002, 10:14 PM
Speaking for myself, I like Rooney on the TV. He's much better than Hawk. Even DJ sounds more relaxed without that egomaniac sitting next to him.

Maybe this is a trial run for a new Sox TV team? (hope, hope, hope)

"Time to cinch it up and hunker down!"

:rooney
"Working these games is a lot easier without the droning Farmer sitting next to me."

Jerry_Manuel
08-16-2002, 10:22 PM
I like it.

DJ is talking, Rooney isn't being a jag to him either. Put Hawk with Farmio.

RedPinStripes
08-16-2002, 10:36 PM
This is the first Sox broadcast i can actually care about what they are saying since Patorick was there. Rooney is very good on TV. DJ is a big improvement too.

:gallas
Hawk is our guy. We never do what the fans want with broadcasting , so get off it. O, and by the way! Come out to elvis night!

OfficerKarkovice
08-16-2002, 10:50 PM
I came home and turned the game on and I can't stand these two. They are making decent points but they are just too dry. DJ tries to get excited and be enthusiastic but it sounds like he's trying too hard and faking it. Give me Hawk back.

RedPinStripes
08-16-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
I came home and turned the game on and I can't stand these two. They are making decent points but they are just too dry. DJ tries to get excited and be enthusiastic but it sounds like he's trying too hard and faking it. Give me Hawk back.

Looks like we need a poll question after the game? :smile:

FanOf14
08-16-2002, 11:37 PM
I have to agree with Officer Kark - way to dry and dull for me. I wouldn't mind a new duo in the booth, but those two together were practically putting me to sleep by the end...and the fact that it was after 11 had nothing to do with that sleepiness!!! :)

Dadawg_77
08-16-2002, 11:39 PM
I just turn on the game in the ninth, and heard Rooney. I thought ***, is WGN doing national broadcast. But has anyone heard anything besides the Ken Harrelson is on assignment this weekend. Is he dong the Fox game since Joe Buck is doing football now?

nut_stock
08-17-2002, 12:01 AM
The one thing Rooney did was cut down on the silence normally heard with Hawk and DJ. He talked as opposed to just sitting there silently like Hawk.

CubKilla
08-17-2002, 12:09 AM

That could mean anything from he has a hangnail to he's vacationing in Florida...

..... to he has jumped off this sinking TITANIC known as, "Your 2002 Chicagooooo White Soxxxxx!

Jerry_Manuel
08-17-2002, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Is he dong the Fox game since Joe Buck is doing football now?

I doubt it.

Dadawg_77
08-17-2002, 12:15 AM
yeah went over there and he isn't listed. Thought they might of given him the booth at tomorrow's Cubs game.

Jerry_Manuel
08-17-2002, 12:17 AM
yeah went over there and he isn't listed. Thought they might of given him the booth at tomorrow's Cubs game.

I'm interested to know where he is.

Dadawg_77
08-17-2002, 12:22 AM
The Trib is reporting he had a personal commitment to the club. Maybe helping find a new GM. With Heman(sp?) feeling better maybe JR got those two former GM interviewing people for the job. Or, maybe he is a little to player friendly when it comes to the labor side of things.

Jerry_Manuel
08-17-2002, 12:32 AM
The Trib is reporting he had a personal commitment to the club. Maybe helping find a new GM. With Heman(sp?) feeling better maybe JR got those two former GM interviewing people for the job. Or, maybe he is a little to player friendly when it comes to the labor side of things.

Maybe he is player friendly, but this strike talk has been out there for quite awhile. I find it hard to believe he would say something now.

RedPinStripes
08-17-2002, 01:36 AM
Could this "commitment" be Scouting?

:KW
Somebody help me!!!!!!!

MarkEdward
08-17-2002, 01:41 AM
Well, I loved the Rooney-DJ combo. DJ actually opened up, and although he wasn't the most insightful commentator, he didn't say anything ridiculously stupid. Rooney was asking him questions, something Hawk never does. I loved DJ's Gorgeous George comment too.

TornLabrum
08-17-2002, 02:47 AM
I didn't get a chance to hear Rooney and DJ on TV, but I did get to hear Dave Wills with Farmer. If Rooney ever gives up radio, I want Dave. I've like him ever since the early '90s when he was doing the Kane County Cougars radio broadcasts.

:wills

"Put me in the radio booth...NNNNNEEEEEEXXXXXXTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

RedPinStripes
08-17-2002, 04:33 AM
I'll take Wills any day.

RedPinStripes
08-17-2002, 06:04 AM
From the Sun-times

BOOTH SHUFFLE: Ken Harrelson will miss the weekend series in Oakland to fulfill what is being called "a team obligation'' that was cleared with chairman Jerry Reinsdorf. The word is that Harrelson is representing the Sox at a charity golf tournament.

LauraJ14
08-17-2002, 10:06 AM
I liked John and DJ together, the broadcast sounded more relaxed.
And we didn't have to hear " DJ, I love email!"

sox_fan_forever
08-17-2002, 10:52 AM
I only got to hear a little bit of Rooney and DJ--not long enough to make an opinion. I did hear plenty of Farmer and Dave Wills though. I thought Dave Wills did a good job.

HawkDJ
08-17-2002, 11:05 AM
I'll admit they sounded better together but I kind of like the Hawk and DJ odd couple thing. They make me laugh every day, something I couldn't say so far about Rooney and DJ.

TornLabrum
08-17-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
I'll admit they sounded better together but I kind of like the Hawk and DJ odd couple thing. They make me laugh every day, something I couldn't say so far about Rooney and DJ.

:rooney

"Did you come to laugh or to watch a ball game?"

:andy

"How about bringing me back from the dead and letting me do the telecasts?"

RKMeibalane
08-17-2002, 12:38 PM
It was nice to see Rooney last night. I don't get to listen to Sox games on the radio because of MLB.com, and I was glad I had the opportunity to listen him call a game for once. Maybe they should do this more often- have Rooney work TV games once or twice a season. If they wanted to make things even more interesting, Hawk could do the radio broadcast.

duke of dorwood
08-17-2002, 02:31 PM
That would be a great idea and would get Hawk out of the habit of saying nothing in certain situatios

Paulwny
08-17-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Hawk could do the radio broadcast.

NO,NO,NO, I couldn't take ~ 3hrs of him and Farmer talking golf.

FarmerAndy
08-18-2002, 03:04 PM
It's nice to turn on the T.V. and not hear all of Hawk's stupid cliches over and over again. But I still think Rooney is the ultimate play-by-play guy on the radio, so I'd hate to see him moved to the television booth.

RedPinStripes
08-18-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

NO,NO,NO, I couldn't take ~ 3hrs of him and Farmer talking golf.

LOL! That's about all it would be too. And both of then referrring to their playing days on every play.

KingXerxes
08-18-2002, 09:30 PM
Words cannot describe how nice it was to watch a series of games on television without Ken Harrelson mucking up the broadcast with his "folksy" arrogance.

Darrin Jackson actually had a chance to let his personality show through, and Rooney is a consumate professional. Think about it, they were thrown together on Friday night - and did the game like they've been together for years.

I really hope the organization is getting positive feedback on the Rooney/Jackson combo - it was an absolute breath of fresh air.

"Speaking of fresh air.......mercy......one time Al Simmons and I were warming up before a game, and he said 'Hawk - you're about the smartest man I know - and I'm not just talking about baseball....."

This is a chance to salvage something out of an otherwise dissappointing season - let's hope they make the most of it.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-18-2002, 10:22 PM
At the end of Sunday's game, DJ went out of his way to thank Rooney for helping him out. In other words DJ said
:DJ
"Please John don't leave, I actually enjoy working with you!"