PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with Rowand?

Fisk Fan
08-09-2001, 10:35 AM
Is this guy for real. It seems like every game that he plays, he makes a spectacular catch and gets a big hit or two. Does anyone think he has a future at CF for the Sox? I would think this creates more options for the Sox. Perhaps a trade including Singleton....

delben91
08-09-2001, 10:39 AM
Heck, I'm all for a singleton trade. This guy hasn't been around long, but he's got decent speed, seems to field his position well, hits for power, more so than for average, but his average wasn't horrible in the minors. Even if he tails off, I still think he's better than singleton, let's see if we can't package singleton with someone and get a C for crissakes!!

Jerry_Manuel
08-09-2001, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Fisk Fan
Is this guy for real. It seems like every game that he plays, he makes a spectacular catch and gets a big hit or two. Does anyone think he has a future at CF for the Sox? I would think this creates more options for the Sox. Perhaps a trade including Singleton....

Well right now he is the guy in center, Singleton was going to be gone soon anyway with Borchard a year or 2 away. Maybe you will see Rowand in center and Borchard in left with Lee at 1st and Konerko traded. But that is a year or two away so it's tough to tell what will shake down.

Tragg
08-09-2001, 10:44 AM
Singleton offers extreme little in trade value. A guy like Singleton or Alomar, will fetch the most as a deadline trade to fill a specific short term team need.

But no team will trade for a guy like singleton and pencil him in as a starting center fielder. They may take him in exchange for one of their own slugs expecting him to play a back-up role or something. But that's about it.

Fisk Fan
08-09-2001, 10:49 AM
If anything, Singleton is a good late-inning defensive replacement or pinch-runner. As far as value, you might not get much for him. Perhaps a couple of prospects. In an ideal situation, you could package him and make a better deal.

Chisox353014
08-09-2001, 10:53 AM
Well right now he is the guy in center, Singleton was going to be gone soon anyway with Borchard a year or 2 away. Maybe you will see Rowand in center and Borcahrd in left with Lee at 1st and Konerko traded. But that is a year or two away so it's tough to tell what will shake down.

I could easily see that happening. Also, I was thinking about this recently-what if the Frank Thomas of old doesn't return? If that happened and the Sox ended up trading him, you could have that same scenario only with Lee as a full-time DH and Konerko at 1B.
Anyway, Rowand certainly appears to be the real deal so far. For a guy who's supposedly learning CF, he's looked spectacular at times. He's cut down on strikeouts since joining the Sox too. I think Singleton would be a fine 4th outfielder, but realistically I think he's gone sooner than later.

Jerry_Manuel
08-09-2001, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
I think Singleton would be a fine 4th outfielder, but realistically I think he's gone sooner than later.

:gun
I am the 4th outfielder, well I should be.

Tragg
08-09-2001, 11:01 AM
If Frank can't return, I wouldn't make Lee a full time DH. I'd teach him to play first, so that Lee, Konerko and Rowand could rotate in the field and at first. We'd also need to pick up another outfielder - probably call one up.

I hate to see young players stop playing in the field and only hit. Lee is a serviceable fielder, certainly better than Thomas was, and playing in the field keeps you concentrating. It also offers more versatility to the roster if every player can play a position.

I guess we could keep conseco - but he just seems like a guy who clobbers mediocre and bad pitching, but doesn't do much else.

rmusacch
08-09-2001, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Well right now he is the guy in center, Singleton was going to be gone soon anyway with Borchard a year or 2 away. Maybe you will see Rowand in center and Borcahrd in left with Lee at 1st and Konerko traded. But that is a year or two away so it's tough to tell what will shake down.

I think Borchard will be given every chance to make the roster out of ST next year if there is a season.

Randar68
08-09-2001, 11:40 AM
Maybe you will see Rowand in center and Borchard in left with Lee at 1st and Konerko traded. But that is a year or two away so it's tough to tell what will shake down

I have seen this suggested but in a different manner that makes more sense:

It would be moving Maggs back to LF. Borchard has a much better arm and Maggs would be one of the best defensive LF'ers in baseball.

Rowand is an interesting case. For the last 3 years, he has seemingly improved his #'s every time he has made a move up a level. It is very rare, but some players actually play better and perform at a higher level against superior competition. Is Rowand one of these guys? Well, that clearly remains to be seen.

I also agree with rmusacch that Borchard will be given every opportunity to make the team out of ST next year....

Iguana775
08-09-2001, 12:06 PM
think about it. who would give you a higher trade value, lee or paulie??? i think that lee would. why would you want to trade paulie, where he is becoming a pretty good defensive 1st baseman, and put lee there where he has never played a game in his life. by trading lee, you will prolly be able to get a better player in return....possible an allstar C or SS...maybe.

Fisk Fan
08-09-2001, 12:09 PM
I doubt you will get an all-star C or SS for Lee. Think about it, ARod or Jeter for C. Lee!?! Hmmm....

Iguana775
08-09-2001, 12:22 PM
maybe not that quality but someone that is an above average player.

Randar68
08-09-2001, 12:25 PM
who would give you a higher trade value, lee or paulie???

Out of our current positional players, Lee might actually have a higher value than Maggs. Maggs just signed a pretty lucrative deal, and Carlos is still 3 years from potential FA.

Lee was a very good 3B if you could forget about his arm. He was unable to make consistent throws from thrid to first. I actually think he could be an above average 1B. However, Paulie is better than average...

Paulwny
08-09-2001, 12:25 PM
Randar, interesting take on Rowand's #s. The only player I can think of, I'm sure their are others, is Don Mattingly who never had outstanding minor league #s.

Tragg
08-09-2001, 12:29 PM
Name a couple of shortstops that you would consider "above average". To me, it's almost like the league has either superstars or a bunch of good field no hit types. Same with catcher.

I just want a young guy -

Randar68
08-09-2001, 12:29 PM
Randar, interesting take on Rowand's #s. The only player I can think of, I'm sure their are others, is Don Mattingly who never had outstanding minor league #s.

There have been a decent number of players like this, but in the overall view of it, the numbers and chances are miniscule.

I have been impressed and he has shown me things that I never saw from him in AA or AAA....namely, patience and his unbelievable defense in center....

Randar68
08-09-2001, 12:33 PM
Name a couple of shortstops that you would consider "above average". To me, it's almost like the league has either superstars or a bunch of good field no hit types. Same with catcher.

Well, Rey Sanchez is awesome defensively, and has better #'s than Clayton. Other average SS's.....Niefi Perez (llok at OBP, same with Sanchez), Jeter is a good hit, no field guy, despite what the media will have you believe, Valentine is the same, Ricky Guitierrez, Omar Vizquel (vastly overrated defensive, no range)

I just want a young guy -

That's the hard part. Jimmy Rollins, Juan Uribe, the list is very short....

Iguana775
08-09-2001, 12:34 PM
you got a point tragg. i cant really think of any off hand. someone mentioned that seattle has some pretty good one. i wonder what it would take to get one of them.

mrwag
08-09-2001, 02:02 PM
Why do we trade Lee? I .300+ hitter, 40 possible HR's, 125 RBI's??? This guy is young and is already awsome! What would he give us that we really need? Get real guys. Let's trade Buehrle and Maggs while were at it...

Paulwny
08-09-2001, 02:07 PM
I think Lee will put up awesome #s in the near future.