PDA

View Full Version : Royce- "I have few peers"

Foulke You
08-16-2002, 05:49 PM
This little pearl of wisdom was bestowed upon us yesterday from Clayton in the Sun-Times who said:

:hitless
"I have few peers in this league defensively"

Yeah Royce, that A-Rod, Tejada, Jeter, and Nomar fellow have nothing on you glove wise. How someone so unspectacular and mediocre can be as arrogant as Royce is beyond me. The magic number is now at 41 until we "clinch" the end of the Royce the Choice Era on the South Side.

:manos
"Sigh! It'll be so nice when he is gone and out of my friggin' SS spot for good!"

basilesox
08-16-2002, 05:55 PM
yeah, Manuel's comments about wishing he would of played Jose all along, makes you think that KW might have handicapped his decision making if you know what I mean. That might change my view of Manuel's ability to manage. Who is making the decision's around here anyway. I'll laugh if Royce makes the league min. next year.

Soxheads
08-16-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
The magic number is now at 41 until we "clinch" the end of the Royce the Choice Era on the South Side.

More like 13 or 14.

Foulke You
08-16-2002, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads

More like 13 or 14.

It's certainly looking that way isn't it? I am trying to be optimistic though.

FarmerAndy
08-16-2002, 06:18 PM

I have no peers

:manos

I am not a babysitter

:crede :weewillie :walnuts

Um, do we have any other options? Next contestant please.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-16-2002, 06:27 PM
This little pearl of wisdom was bestowed upon us yesterday from Clayton in the Sun-Times who said:

I totally agree with that statement. Nobody in the leauge makes less of an effort than he does on a nightly basis.

RedPinStripes
08-16-2002, 06:30 PM
This guy has more of a sweeled head then i ever thought. *****!

Talk about a self promoter!

NUKE_CLEVELAND
08-16-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
This guy has more of a sweeled head then i ever thought. *****!

Talk about a self promoter!

What the hell is there to promote? He can't hit, he can't play the field, he has no heart, no brains & no balls. The only man in the world he isin't totally worthless to is his dentist. All that ice cream he eats causes lots of cavitys for ol doc to fill.

CubKilla
08-16-2002, 06:35 PM
How could the reporter who took this quote not outright laugh in Clayton's face upon hearing this? The next statement should have been, "Who's in your league offensively..... besides Mark Johnson?"

idseer
08-16-2002, 06:44 PM

"Sigh! It'll be so nice when he is gone and out of my friggin' SS spot for good!"

how about a link? i find no mention of this at the suntimes website.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-16-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by idseer

It's not a quote from Clayton. The Sun-Times beatwriter, Doug Padilla, wrote

"In an era of big-hitting shortstops such as Derek Jeter, Nomar Garciaparra and a player the Sox faced the last two games, Alex Rodriguez, Clayton's hitting struggles were magnified. Clayton has maintained all season that as a fielder he has few peers ."

It's Padilla saying this.

RedPinStripes
08-16-2002, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

"In an era of big-hitting shortstops such as Derek Jeter, Nomar Garciaparra and a player the Sox faced the last two games, Alex Rodriguez, Clayton's hitting struggles were magnified. Clayton has maintained all season that as a fielder he has few peers ."

Now that sounds just a little different then the title of this thread. :D:

:threadsucks

Jerry_Manuel
08-16-2002, 07:19 PM
The Sun-Times beatwriter, Doug Padilla, wrote

Pfft! Why did you have to ruin this great Royce-hating thread with your crazy facts, George? :D:

:reinsy
Just like you fans to not believe what we tell you.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-16-2002, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Pfft! Why did you have to ruin this great Royce-hating thread with your crazy facts, George? :D:

Royce is plenty quotable all by himself. We don't need to make up stuff he didn't say. :smile:

Even with as little as two weeks left in the season, I'm betting Royce will be running his gums very soon. If he isn't getting at least a platoon arrangement from Manuel, he'll start whining. And of course Manuel will cave. :angry:

Personally, I wish we could send Royce home early. Let him hold his press conferences on his front lawn.

"Let me tell you why I'm the most valuable free agent shortstop available this winter... Hey, where did everybody go?"

Jerry_Manuel
08-16-2002, 07:30 PM
Royce is plenty quotable all by himself. We don't need to make up stuff he didn't say. :smile:

Personally, I wish we could send Royce home early. Let him hold his press conferences on his front lawn.

He and Durham. Maybe one of the A's reporters can ask Mr. Durham about the Twins. They still nothing to worry about?

No, Mariotti would be there to get more dirt for his columns. He'd write about how Royce was treated poorly, and was never given a fair shake.

RedPinStripes
08-16-2002, 07:36 PM

Yeah. you gotta have proof if your going to post something like that. idseer aka: Choice's Lawyer. .LOL! :smile:

idseer
08-16-2002, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Yeah. you gotta have proof if your going to post something like that. idseer aka: Choice's Lawyer. .LOL! :smile:

<chuckle> it sounded just too bad to be true.

thanks for clearing that up george. :smile:

i too am anxious for the post choice era to begin.

Foulke You
08-16-2002, 08:54 PM

Are you sure? I swear I'm not losing my mind. (or perhaps I am?)I'm going to check the last couple days Sun-Times over to be sure. I could've sworn I read that in a small blurb about Royce. Of course, I did read the paper early in the morning before I had my coffee when my brain is oatmeal. If I'm wrong, I apologize for stirring the Royce hating pot even more. (As if it needed stirring!) I will formally apologize to the Choice himself too. Wait. No I won't. He's an arrogant idiot even if he didn't say it. :D:

Foulke You
08-16-2002, 08:57 PM
And another thing! If that was indeed Padilla that said it, what the heck is HE talking about with Royce having few peers?!! He must be a closet member of FOC! I miss when Joe Goddard covered the Sox in the Sun-Times.

RKMeibalane
08-17-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

He and Durham. Maybe one of the A's reporters can ask Mr. Durham about the Twins. They still nothing to worry about?

No, Mariotti would be there to get more dirt for his columns. He'd write about how Royce was treated poorly, and was never given a fair shake.

A fair shake? Please. Clayton has gotten more slack from Jerry Manuel than any other player on the Sox twenty-five-man roster. Nowhere else have I seen a player who produces so little be given so much... well, there is Juwan Howard in the NBA.

I can't wait until Clayton is gone. His whining is one of the things that has caused so much trouble in the Sox clubhouse. I wish he would just accept his role on the ballclub and deal with his situation in a mature fashion.

idseer
08-17-2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

A fair shake? Please. Clayton has gotten more slack from Jerry Manuel than any other player on the Sox twenty-five-man roster. Nowhere else have I seen a player who produces so little be given so much... well, there is Juwan Howard in the NBA.

I can't wait until Clayton is gone. His whining is one of the things that has caused so much trouble in the Sox clubhouse. I wish he would just accept his role on the ballclub and deal with his situation in a mature fashion.

truth be told ... there is more whinning at THIS website about royce than any amount of whinning he's ever done or ever will do.

you want to see whinning ... read your own posts!

TornLabrum
08-17-2002, 02:42 PM
Unfortunately this is an auditory pun, so read this aloud, and you'll probably understand that I do know how to spell:

"The only peer Royce Clayton has is the one he should jump off of."

guillen4life13
08-17-2002, 02:44 PM

truth be told ... there is more whinning at THIS website about royce than any amount of whinning he's ever done or ever will do.

and here's another "truth be told": frank thomas has done less for more than royce this year, proportionately. i'm a frank supporter but this is just something to point out.

voodoochile
08-17-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13

and here's another "truth be told": frank thomas has done less for more than royce this year, proportionately. i'm a frank supporter but this is just something to point out.

He has? By whoose standards?

guillen4life13
08-17-2002, 02:50 PM

and here's another "truth be told": Frank Thomas has gotten more slack from u guys, for doing proportionately less for much more.

RKMeibalane
08-17-2002, 03:07 PM
What you said about myself and others giving Frank Thomas slack and ripping Royce Clayton is true, but we have our reasons for doing so.

First of all, Frank missed virtually all of last season with an injury. Whether this injury has affected his ability to hit remains to be seen.

Second, Thomas has still posted good power numbers, in spite of his low batting average. Royce, on the other hand, has not hit for a high average, and he has not provided any run production in the Sox lineup.

Third, Thomas has spent time watching film and working in the batting cage, trying to figure out what he can do to hit more consistently. Clayton hasn't been doing this, even though he has spent extended portions of the past two seasons below the Mendoza line.

What's more, Jerry Manuel seems to have "washed his hands" with regards to the Clayton situation at shortstop. He admitted this week that playing Clayton may have been a mistake, that Jose Valentin never should have been moved at the start of 2001.

These are some of my reasons for backing Frank and trashing Royce.

Nellie_Fox
08-18-2002, 03:19 AM
You guys have finally convinced me. Royce is the antichrist. He should not only be cut, but be banned from baseball for life. Then all of his family members should be killed, so that he can understand the depth of his transgressions. His house should be burned to the ground, and the remaining vacant lot should be sown with salt so that nothing will ever grow there again. Finally, a federal law should be passed that makes it a crime for him to remain in any one place for more than one night. (I know that is a violation of the Constitutional prohibition against Bills of Attainder, but Royce is a special case.) Let him forever wander the hinterlands, with dumpsters providing his only sustenance, contemplating how he has singlehandedly destroyed the clubhouse of the Chicago White Sox.

I'm not sure that this is enough, but he certainly should not be allowed the escape that would be his own death; that would be too good for him.

oldcomiskey
08-18-2002, 09:16 AM
fianlly---Fox says something that makes sense----to be honest though Royce and Frank are not the reason the Sox are not winning-----both have contributed to it in their own ways....although Hurt was hurt last year---folks coming into this season I knew this wasnt the 1983 or 1993 Sox--this wasnt even the Sox of 2 years ago

Once again look at the opening day roster closely and then convince yourself this is a pennant winning team

TornLabrum
08-18-2002, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
fianlly---Fox says something that makes sense----to be honest though Royce and Frank are not the reason the Sox are not winning-----both have contributed to it in their own ways....although Hurt was hurt last year---folks coming into this season I knew this wasnt the 1983 or 1993 Sox--this wasnt even the Sox of 2 years ago

Once again look at the opening day roster closely and then convince yourself this is a pennant winning team

"We could have had better players if more of you had gone to the games last year when we were tanking in April and May. It's all your fault."

oldcomiskey
08-18-2002, 09:33 AM
its not all JRs fault--neither is it Kenny Williams--or Jerry Manuel-----sure JR signs the checks--but he and Kenny did bring in David Wells and Kenny Lofton----and Manuel does like to shuffle the lineup---BUT how many times have we made mediocre pitchers look like Cy Young......How many times has this club stranded 7 or 8 or 9 runners in a game.....the blame lays square on the offense--right....How bout that great pitching staff----its true for the most part they are young----but I said in spring training---youre not gonna win the world series with Todd Richie as your number 2 pitcher--the bullpen has been shaky at best---terrible otherwise---no guys this is a total TEAM effort

TornLabrum
08-18-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
its not all JRs fault--neither is it Kenny Williams--or Jerry Manuel-----sure JR signs the checks--but he and Kenny did bring in David Wells and Kenny Lofton----and Manuel does like to shuffle the lineup---BUT how many times have we made mediocre pitchers look like Cy Young......How many times has this club stranded 7 or 8 or 9 runners in a game.....the blame lays square on the offense--right....How bout that great pitching staff----its true for the most part they are young----but I said in spring training---youre not gonna win the world series with Todd Richie as your number 2 pitcher--the bullpen has been shaky at best---terrible otherwise---no guys this is a total TEAM effort

Okay, let me get this straight. It's not The Chairman's or Prof. Chaos's, or Gen. Disarray's fault. But who put together the team that makes pitchers look like Cy Young? Who put together the team that strands 7-9 runners per game? Who put together a team where the oldest starter in the rotation is 26 now that Ritchie is on the DL? Who decided that Todd Ritchie was enough?

"Don't blame me! It's the fans' fault!"

:KW

"Don't blame me! It's the fans' fault!"

:jerry

"Don't blame me! It's the fans' fault...um... or maybe Rocye's...um...or maybe...um..."

"Don't blame me! I always finish strong!"